PDA

View Full Version : japanese planes

Wannabe-Pilot
03-02-2004, 12:37 PM
What's up with zero? Why is its roll rate so slow? I guess that if they modelled it so then it must be correct but explain then how can a plane with such a slow roll be hailed as one of the most manuverable planes of WW2? Also both Zero and Ki-84 are very twitchy. They behave quite erratic in dives and loops, which makes (for me) flying them a nightmare. What's the proper use of these planes how should they be flown. And please, don't tell me that it just takes practice I've been playing teh game for 2 months now and I can handle any plane but those two.

Also, I'd like to hear some comments on other Japanese planes like Hayabusa Ki-43, Ki-61, Ki-100 etc. Which ones do you think were the best and why? Is there a possibility of seeing some of them in a future patch?

Wannabe-Pilot
03-02-2004, 12:37 PM
What's up with zero? Why is its roll rate so slow? I guess that if they modelled it so then it must be correct but explain then how can a plane with such a slow roll be hailed as one of the most manuverable planes of WW2? Also both Zero and Ki-84 are very twitchy. They behave quite erratic in dives and loops, which makes (for me) flying them a nightmare. What's the proper use of these planes how should they be flown. And please, don't tell me that it just takes practice I've been playing teh game for 2 months now and I can handle any plane but those two.

Also, I'd like to hear some comments on other Japanese planes like Hayabusa Ki-43, Ki-61, Ki-100 etc. Which ones do you think were the best and why? Is there a possibility of seeing some of them in a future patch?

F19_Olli72
03-02-2004, 12:51 PM
What speed are you going in the Zero? At high speeds control surfaces really gets stiff and youll be outturned by P40s etc.

About other japanese planes, from Olegs response in ORR it seems most japanese planes wont even make in in FB but for the pacific sim wich will be standalone. That makes me wonder why the Ki84 or Zero was implemented in FB from the beginning? If i was japanese, i would feel totally ripped off if i bought FB thinking 'more japanese planes in later patches' :|

Wannabe-Pilot
03-02-2004, 12:56 PM
First time I heard of a standalone pacific theatre sim... When is that supposed to be out? What is its the title?

F19_Olli72
03-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Take a look here, details are nonexistant since its early in development:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=63110913&m=730106142&p=2

Capt._Tenneal
03-02-2004, 01:13 PM
I think it was mentioned before on other threads, that the new aircraft included in patch 1.21 (P-51, B-17, A6M5, Ki-84, etc.) were made not for FB or the AEP, but for a future planned Western Europe (now released as "Battle Over Europe") and Pacific (work in progress) add-ons or stand alone products. Since they had already modelled the aircraft and some maps, the developers thought "what the heck, we'll release them now so fans can use them in user-made missions, campaigns, and online ". It was meant as a goodwill gesture to fans, but some took it a different way, thinking "why release them now, and not with the expansions ?".

Zyzbot
03-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Wannabe-Pilot:

Part of an Interview of Japanes ace Saburo Sakai:

Interviewer: What did you like the best about the Zero in flight?

Saburo Sakai: Good things about the Zero in flight were the very long range, and the good visibility all around the plane. If you place too much emphasis on a feature, you will lose something else. You have to cover everything in a plane's performance - some positive, some negative. It's a kind of compromise. The Zero-sen is a very good compromise. For a pilot, it's quite comfortable. Before the war I was ordered to fly to China - they never tested how long we can fly and what distance. So we were ordered to try and flew it for twelve hours and thirty minutes - a world record at that time.

Interviewer: How is the Zero in combat?

Saburo Sakai: Good things about the Zero in combat were the responsiveness of the control stick, the tight turns it could make (to the left), the ability to climb quickly, and the reliability of the 7.7mm fixed-machine guns.

Interviewer: What is your opinion on the other Japanese planes you flew?

Saburo Sakai: Type 96: Was better for dogfights than the Zero, but its range wasn't as good Raiden: An interceptor. Shiden: Range was too short and the landing gear had issues

Interviewer: What would you tell new pilots about the Zero?

Saburo Sakai: I would tell new pilots the following things about the Zero... Good points: Dogfighting prowess and a quick rate of climb. And the 7.7mm are very reliable. Bad points: Doesn't perform well in dives. Enemy fire causes fires and easily damages the airframe.

Interviewer: What advice did you actually give?

Saburo Sakai: Strong points: The responsiveness of the control stick, the range, and the reliability of the 7.7mm guns Weak points: Understanding of group tactics. Methods of evading enemy fire when surprised by the enemy. Use sudden control adjustments, pulling away in the opposite direction of the line of fire, slide to the side, and continue to do this. In wartime, you're afraid when you meet your enemy for the first time. Never be isolated from the leader. Keep your cool and posture - never panic. When you enter an area where the enemy can attack you, adjust the propeller pitch so you won't burn up your engine in a dogfight. Make sure you switch your fuel to main tank and drop your drop tanks. We used drop tanks over enemy territory, but rarely over our own territory.