PDA

View Full Version : Decreasing distance to target

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 08:22 AM
Hi all,

I just started a German fighter campaign in FB, and after a few missions I've noticed that the distance to my targets has tended to be on the longish side, which never bodes well for the members of my flight. By the time I get to the target, do whatever needs doing there, and get headed back to the airfield, I've usually burned through a good majority of the old 109's fuel supply.

Now this isn't such a bad thing for me, but my poor AI mates just haven't perfected fuel conservation (or emergency landings, for that matter), and I've lost more than a few veteran pilots to empty fuel tanks.

Seeing as one of the brighter spots in the campaign system is the notion of helping your buddies stay alive so they can improve, what can I do to decrease range to target? I have Sturmovik Stab, and it has an option for preferred distance to target (and I see you can change it in the config file as well); does that mean preferred maximum distance rather than a set distance for all targets (which would be silly). I assume it's maximum, but I'm wondering if anyone else has changed this. If so, what have you found works well as a distance setting, particularly for 109s and their rather limited fuel capacity? Also, if I change this setting will I need to start a new campaign in order for the change to take effect? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Wiffle

--Edited for clarity and additional questions

Yes, and here's to the few
who forgive what you do
and the fewer who don't even care

--Leonard Cohen

Message Edited on 08/31/0301:31AM by WifflePlane

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 08:22 AM
Hi all,

I just started a German fighter campaign in FB, and after a few missions I've noticed that the distance to my targets has tended to be on the longish side, which never bodes well for the members of my flight. By the time I get to the target, do whatever needs doing there, and get headed back to the airfield, I've usually burned through a good majority of the old 109's fuel supply.

Now this isn't such a bad thing for me, but my poor AI mates just haven't perfected fuel conservation (or emergency landings, for that matter), and I've lost more than a few veteran pilots to empty fuel tanks.

Seeing as one of the brighter spots in the campaign system is the notion of helping your buddies stay alive so they can improve, what can I do to decrease range to target? I have Sturmovik Stab, and it has an option for preferred distance to target (and I see you can change it in the config file as well); does that mean preferred maximum distance rather than a set distance for all targets (which would be silly). I assume it's maximum, but I'm wondering if anyone else has changed this. If so, what have you found works well as a distance setting, particularly for 109s and their rather limited fuel capacity? Also, if I change this setting will I need to start a new campaign in order for the change to take effect? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Wiffle

--Edited for clarity and additional questions

Yes, and here's to the few
who forgive what you do
and the fewer who don't even care

--Leonard Cohen

Message Edited on 08/31/0301:31AM by WifflePlane

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 10:34 AM
I dont really know about Il2 stab, but in IL2 Manager 4.0 there is a setting where you can choose what distance you would like to travel, i normally put about 30km, and it vary's between 30km-40km when in then mission, and the good thing is that you dont have to start a new campaign

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 12:21 PM
just use timecompression

<center>
http://www.army.fr.pl/foto/mig31.jpg <center>
<marquee> <FONT COLOR="red">[b] HAHAHAHAHAHA <marquee> <FONT COLOR="red">[b]

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 01:03 PM
In the file DGen/DGen_Readme.txt, one can read the following:

"
In accordance with your preferences and configration, you can place the following lines in file conf.ini
(all case sensitive):

1. Preferred distance to target

MissionDistance=nn, where nn is your preferred distance to target in kilometers. For instance:

MissionDistance=80

The request is not guaranteed to be fulfilled, if there are no suitable targets within the distance +/-30%,
any target may be selected.
"

Hope it helps

---------------------
: + ) = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
; + ) = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
: + ( = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
: + o = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
: + P = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif
: + | = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
: + <u>?</u> = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif<h6>- need help whining? (393k) (http://users.pandora.be/vnnet/forum/016.exe)
- Don't call me chris! (814k) (http://users.pandora.be/vnnet/forum/dontcallmechris.avi)
- Why you should eat breakfast (344k) (http://users.pandora.be/vnnet/forum/eatbreakfast.avi)</h6>