PDA

View Full Version : Il2 demo - is it always crashy with oversaturated colours?

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 05:15 AM
Hi

Exploring IL2 for a little cinema project, as an alternative to Jane's WWII FIghters.

The demo won't run for very long - less than a minute --without locking up on my 2.2 ghz p4 with Radeon 9700 (128 megs) and 2 gigs of ram. No matter how carefully I adjust settings. @ the higer res settings it only lasts for about ten seconds.

Jane's runs fine right out of the box.

The IL2 colours are unnaturally vivid by comparison and the flight characteristics in the intro video footage make the flying bomber look like its anchored to a gimbal.

Is this the IL2 so many are raving about? Is FB so much better? Is there something buggy with the demo?

Jane's doesn't have as nice clouds or landscapes, but its stable and the planes and cockpits look better - though they don't have pitch adjustments etc.

Curious about this.

Message Edited on 10/01/03 04:24AM by bdigger

Message Edited on 10/01/0304:27AM by bdigger

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 05:15 AM
Hi

Exploring IL2 for a little cinema project, as an alternative to Jane's WWII FIghters.

The demo won't run for very long - less than a minute --without locking up on my 2.2 ghz p4 with Radeon 9700 (128 megs) and 2 gigs of ram. No matter how carefully I adjust settings. @ the higer res settings it only lasts for about ten seconds.

Jane's runs fine right out of the box.

The IL2 colours are unnaturally vivid by comparison and the flight characteristics in the intro video footage make the flying bomber look like its anchored to a gimbal.

Is this the IL2 so many are raving about? Is FB so much better? Is there something buggy with the demo?

Jane's doesn't have as nice clouds or landscapes, but its stable and the planes and cockpits look better - though they don't have pitch adjustments etc.

Curious about this.

Message Edited on 10/01/03 04:24AM by bdigger

Message Edited on 10/01/0304:27AM by bdigger

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 05:35 AM
Forget the demo....get FB. There is nothing like it. IL2 is the closest thing and the IL2 demo is not the final patched version of IL2 so ....... get FB. Hey man it's going for $29 US...... I am sure you have blown more than that on beer. Do yourself a favor....get FB.

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

Message Edited on 10/01/0312:35AM by Bearcat99

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 05:44 AM
Yea i don't know what your talking about with the demo. Never had problems with it. In fact I thought the demo was so good I bought both il2 and FB. I would recommend you just buy FB and download the patches. Its a pretty stable game and runs fine. I have nearly the same system specs as yourself. Physics model is incredible you can actually shoot an engine or two off of bombers. Damage model is nearly equal to real life. Incredible stuff.

When does a game end being a game and become a simulator? Interesting questions to ponder while waiting, from Aces-High.