PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft needs to take a look at this..

Defalt221
05-26-2015, 10:08 AM
This: http://thegg.net/general-news/game-of-thrones-and-ubisoft-has-enraged-the-feminists/

Seriously, there'll always be someone over the world who'll come up with a Assassin's Creed cotroversy / hate. And the journlists will howl with them. Soon it'll spread like a virus and before long, everyone on the internet will go on a Ubisoft hate march+protest. Ubisoft should make their own game. Enough of pleasing the crowd. Just make the best open world game you can ever make Ubisoft.

VestigialLlama4
05-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Seriously, there'll always be someone over the world who'll come up with a Assassin's Creed cotroversy / hate. And the journlists will howl with them. Soon it'll spread like a virus and before long, everyone on the internet will go on a Ubisoft hate march+protest.

First of all, I am deeply disturbed by any equations of complaints of poor representation of women with the word "Virus". The Internet is not the Workplace, it is not reality and its not a place of protest, its a place to get voices heard yes and make opinions known yes but over-reacting is not good at all. Its this fantasy image of "SJW" that people invent out of all proportion to reality.

Ubisoft should make their own game. Enough of pleasing the crowd. Just make the best open world game you can ever make Ubisoft.

Ubisoft has always been about pleasing a crowd. Pleasing "one" kind of crowd at least. Brotherhood, Revelations, Black Flag = All Crowdpleasers. Rogue = Game for Haytham fanboys and no one else, UNITY = For Ezio-cosplayers.

So if they added Evie Frye after last year's complaints about "women are too hard to animate" good for them. It's not any different from their user-survey approach or their hesitancy that led to such stuff as playable Haytham, linear missions and other hand-holding stuff as well as over-powered Eagle Vision in recent games. It's just that people make it a question of "Freedom of Expression" when a company has to bend over backward to include women, and that reflects far more poorly on them than any fictious super-feminist people invent, it means that they are not naturally inclusive but have to bend over backward and go out of their way to make games that are more representative.

I mean the main reason mainstream culture is quite misogynistic (especially TV and games) is that most writers and producers are lazy-as-hell and overpaid as all-get-out and can't really think of stories that can appeal to women or how to represent women, and of course how to animate women.

SenseHomunculus
05-26-2015, 02:48 PM
LOL I think Ubisoft will do OK without having to take some angry little Gamergater's amateurishly-written advice.

D.I.D.
05-26-2015, 05:33 PM
Yeah, Ubisoft needs to pay attention to a bunch of Red Pill amateurs with extremely poor argumentative skills and even worse writing standards. Please. Seriously, look at the bro's photo. Just look at it.

Yes, there will be complaints from different corners no matter what you do. The point is, do you recognise you have a problem? The direction forward involves asking oneself if the actions one takes are correcting those faults. Of course it's possible to make changes in such a way that your solution is nearly as offensive as your original paucity of representation. It's never as simple as throwing in ONE woman, ONCE, and then throwing your hands up if it turns out that what you did was mere tokenism. We will see how this one turns out.

Shahkulu101
05-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Dire piece of writing.

Sushiglutton
05-26-2015, 07:24 PM
Social Justice Warriors and Social Unjustice Warriors are equally annoying ......

That's such a dumb text filled with baseless assumptions and overreactions. Not worthy of anyones time (I will bill you OP!).

pirate1802
05-27-2015, 11:47 AM
Lol. These 'omigod-feminists-killing-artistic-freedom' arguments are lame because of exactly two reasons.

1. This assumes devs have creative freedom (and they won't after SJW invasion). This is utter hogwash, everyone with even a slight idea of how mass-produced entertainment products and marketing works knows this is hogwash. And if you still need proof, look at the protagonists. Connor was a white man in his game's cinematic trailer. Altair was a white Arab. Ajay Ghale was a white Indian. Ofcourse, white Arabs and white Indians exist. The big picture only emerges when you see all these choices in context: That Ubisoft, while eager to win brownie diversity points, is still very cautious in the approach of not ignoring what their market research guy tells them.

2. You seem to think this increase in diversity signals a repression of creative freedom. But if you actually lived in a world where devs had complete creative freedom you would see more diverse characters across race, gender and orientation, not less. Proof? Just look at the literary scene. Even a cursory glance would tell you the diversity of book protagonists and characters are mind boggling. Know why? Because unlike with a AAA studio. a publisher (by and large) doesn't stand over a writer's head while he is writer and cuffs his hands with market research sheets and playerbase arguments.

So yeah.. Make their own game you say? They never did and they never could, unless one is CDPR maybe. Creative freedom my bubble butt.

Mr_Shade
05-27-2015, 12:04 PM
I can’t comment on what others said or the context in which it was taken but from Assassin’s Creed Syndicate’s inception we knew we would focus on the journey of Jacob Frye, in which his sister Evie plays a very large role.

There have been female Assassins in the past, such as Aveline de Grandpré, and we’re excited to have Evie join in their ranks.

D.I.D.
05-27-2015, 12:48 PM
I can’t comment on what others said or the context in which it was taken but from Assassin’s Creed Syndicate’s inception we knew we would focus on the journey of Jacob Frye, in which his sister Evie plays a very large role.

There have been female Assassins in the past, such as Aveline de Grandpré, and we’re excited to have Evie join in their ranks.

Sorry, but these are very bad examples. Don't call Evie's part in this a "very large role" - whatever her importance may turn out to be, 25% of missions (and is that just main missions, or all missions? I suspect it's the former) is not a large role, let alone very large.

Best not to mention Aveline either, created as she was for a throwaway Vita game that the company did not really care about, or it would have saved it for the main series. Add in Shao Jun, and it's a pattern.

Ubisoft has done some great things for diversity in gaming at times, but it also still has a long way to go.

Sef1n
05-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Liberation was a fine game. I did like Aveline and "persona system" which I think standard AC games should borrow in some way.
I would like to see more options how to take out targets. Disguise system would be nice addition (like in hitman series)... :-)

for the topic... I don´t think Ubisoft really cares about feminists... they focus on their buyers as that is what pays the bills imho.
Telling some statement to these feminists is just a "diplomacy" which will not change anything :-)

EmptyCrustacean
05-27-2015, 07:39 PM
Sorry, but these are very bad examples. Don't call Evie's part in this a "very large role" - whatever her importance may turn out to be, 25% of missions (and is that just main missions, or all missions? I suspect it's the former) is not a large role, let alone very large.

Best not to mention Aveline either, created as she was for a throwaway Vita game that the company did not really care about, or it would have saved it for the main series. Add in Shao Jun, and it's a pattern.

Ubisoft has done some great things for diversity in gaming at times, but it also still has a long way to go.

Agree competely. Ubi is better than most dev companies when it comes to striving for diversity which is why, like Bethesda, they tend to have an international appeal and love from both genders. However there seems to be this reluctance for them to go all the way with it. Like Skyrim, the stories AC tells naturally invite diversity - we know there are female Assassins as far back as the renaissance according to the lore - I don't understand why we can't play as them.