PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Assassin's Creed game and why?

sniper arrow117
05-24-2015, 12:01 PM
The order of mine is this 1) assassins creed 2
2) assassins creed rogue
3) assassins creed revelations
4) assassins creed 3
5) assassins creed brotherhood
6) assassins creed
7) assassins creed unity
8) assassins creed 4
9) assassins creed Liberation
10) assassins creed bloodlines

EmptyCrustacean
05-24-2015, 12:55 PM
1) Brotherhood - has a wonderful mix of side missions and campaign and because you often can't do some side missions until progressing through the campaign it's much better paced. Fun underground puzzles. Fun exploration of a vibrant, diverse city where each district is distinguishable with great landmarks that define campaign missions. Great atmospheric music. Introduction of mission constraints making the game harder and easier depending on play style. Best combat. Best implemention of stealth. Excellent modern day missions and story.

2) AC2 - heartfelt main story that's constantly informing the missions and encourages players to do certain optional tasks such as feather collecting. Beautiful cities, landmarks and music. Fun tone and characters. Great world building. Fun underground puzzles.

3) AC1 - fantastic story, great dialogue, great characters - in fact that is what stops game play from being quite so repetitive. The motivations of our targets are different and are communicated differently. Beautiful cities and music with each district completely different from one another. Fun exploration through the use of flag and Templar hunting. Good game play but gets repetitive.

4) Black Flag - a fun pirate game. Lots of stuff to do. Side missions directly serving upgrades and main missions. Good exploration - with fun underwater missions, fort take downs, camp raiding. Bad, unrootable protagonist - not an Assassin, not a good person. Bad stealth - too much emphasis on long range. Combat far too easy.

5) AC 3 - innovative, ambitious, bold good side missions although boring campaign let down by the developer's fear of having us play as a Native American for the whole game. Innapropriate character motivations - Connor doesn't feel like an Assassin but a lone wolf warriror. Historical events too intrusive to the point where it feels less Assassin's Creed and more like an American Revolution game. Excellent modern day dialogue and story although ending was very, very bad. Dull cities, forest lands more fun. Good side characters.

6) AC Rogue - fun gameplay but a copy & paste job of Black Flag so quite lazy. Interesting premise ruined by nonsensical character motivation of main protagonist. A missed opportunity to give us some Templar gadgets.

7) Unity - a beautiful city but a dull one for exploration as it all looks the same. French Revolution setting serves more as a backdrop rendering its setting pointless. I like blackbox idea but it felt like a lazy way of not actually doing some in-depth mission design. More responsive and intelligent AI during combat which was good but got rid of some fun features. A technical failure in every way possible ruining combat, stealth and navigation. Immersion breaking customisation, locked content, transmedia, microtransactions, "diguise mechanic'. Locking single layer content behind multiplayer. Bad, boring co-op. Terrible, terrible story and characters. Modern day non existent. Repetitive copy and paste side missions and collectibles.

8) Revelations - a steaming pile of filler trash.

phoenix-force411
05-24-2015, 01:52 PM
1) ACII
2) ACIII
3) AC: Revelations
4) ACI
5) AC: Rogue
6) ACIV
7) ACB
8) ACU

JamesFaith007
05-24-2015, 02:40 PM
1) AC 2 - I liked how it was tied to history I knew very well so I could compare it with my knowledge. Appearance of generally quite unknown Savonarola was pleasure surprise for me.

2) AC 4 - naval fights and Edward personality evolution

3) AC Revelations - I like Istanbul, how some Ezio's apprentices got personal history and special quests and Ezio who really feels like wiser old man.

4) AC 3 - many great innovations but I have problem with Connors "fragmented" personality when he was constantly skipping between angry teenager (I generally hate this pose even when I was teenager myself), cold professional and overly naivety. Shame, I was looking forward to him.

5) AC 1 - good game when I played it first time but thanks AC2 grew old very fast and even during first play through i had strong feeling of emptiness in this world.

VestigialLlama4
05-24-2015, 02:43 PM
I don't like Rogue-Unity at all, so they aren't included here. These are games I like:

1) AC2 -- It's still an enormously satisfying game, with a sprawling story, visiting multiple towns and cities and the right balance between the sublime and the ridiculous. Freerunning across Renaissance Italy, all the many missions and activities you have on you, all the viewpoints, puzzles, Tombs and the great cast of characters. You can pick apart anything in AC2, the cliched bad guy Templars, the stealth mechanics being more arcade, and needless stuff like armour and medicine...but together all of it works better than it should. This is the game that really captures the Walter Scott-Dumas high adventure spirit.

2) AC1 -- Numbers and Ranks don't really mean anything. If AC2 is the more entertaining and compelling game, AC1 is still the most meaningful and psychologically complex of all the games. The game most concerned with ethics, the murky sense of history, right-and-wrong and so on. The Assassination missions of AC1 are still the best of the series and the atmosphere of cities is really great. Altair, Malik, Al Mualim and all the Templar targets, they don't have a lot of backstory, they don't ask for your sympathy but they make their mark and you can have oodles of discussion on them.

3) Black Flag -- Black Flag gets grief for not being an AC game but that's the point of it. In theory AC can accomodate any era and period in history, so why not the pirate era. It's a game that takes on a completely new genre and yet tailors it to the main metaphor in a satisfying way. The game's sailing, the sea shanties, the historical cast, the sense of wide-open adventure, freedom and proud roguish enthusiasm is something special. Also pirates.

4) AC3 - Flawed, but incredibly beautiful in many tiny details. An incredibly poignant and sad story and some of the most stirring stuff ever. This is a game that really works in quiet moments and if not for weaknesses in the story missions, it could have been great. But hunting, homestead, naval, kidd missions, forts are all pretty amazing. The music is also quite good.

5) Revelations - Istanbul is the most beautiful and joyous of all AC cities. Amazing music. A very minor story yes but that's the point.

6) Brotherhood - I like the game's design more than the story and plot. I like the factions and each Assassin being part of one and all the side missions part of it. Rome's an amazing city and all the missions and activities in it are great. Castel Sant'Angelo is one of the all-time great structures in AC. Best AC HQ. A weak story but a terrific game on the whole.

Shahkulu101
05-24-2015, 03:12 PM
ACIV/ACB - Both my kind of games. Excellent side missions that are fun, meaningful and mostly contributive towards the main story. Rome was gorgeous, with beautiful ambient music - Roman Countryside is unbelievably atmospheric and emotional - and great landmarks. Stealth was easy and combat was brain-dead BUT there were some nice missions which at least gave you the feeling of being an Assassin with cool infiltration missions like the Castel St Angelo mission. ACIV, what can I say really? Simple story that's beautifully told and has a fantastically written, believable protagonist and the most touching, heartfelt ending in the series. Beautiful world (although I wish so many islands weren't copy/pasted) and more rigid stealth than AC3.

AC2 - Straightforward yet engaging story that keeps you engrossed throughout. AC's first foray into historical GTA territory which made the open world fun, the tomb missions remain the best side missions the series has produced and the setting was amazing. Multiple cities, all with their own atmosphere look and feel - Florence and Venice are unforgettable. As is the hauntingly beautiful ambient music that I think maybe made the games reputation without people realizing it.

Assassin's Creed Revelations - Great setting, ambient music and stunning art design. The most visually appealing and atmospheric game in the series for me. The storyline added some nuance to the Templar's which AC2 and BH forgot they were supposed to have. Ezio is finally shown to be flawed, human and the final stage of his arc ends with a heart stopping encounter with Altair and then Desmond. Some enjoyable main missions like the platforming ones when you acquire the keys and infiltrating Topkapi Palace but overall too similar to the previous games. Virtually no side missions to speak of and the awful Den Defense mechanic soured the experience considerably.

ACU - Paris is visually stunning with varied districts and explorable interiors. The series finally makes combat challenging giving a purpose to stealth and the missions are less handhold-y and more open ended than ever before. However, the stealth is improved yet still extremely flawed. Sticky cover system is nightmare inducing, no whistle mechanic makes it unnecessarily frustrating and guard distribution is over the top with snipers on every rooftop and gangs of 5 or 6 guards at every corner meaning you can't move an inch. Overall, the game is very buggy and the side missions are all too repetitive and without context making the game feel soulless and factory produced.

ACRo - Black Flag, copy and paste. Shamelessly I was entertained by this as I loved Black Flag's main gameplay elements and Rogue was just...more of that I guess. The story is less morally grey than it thinks it is and instead just makes the Assassin's feel like the Borgia of AC2/B, yet I enjoyed Shay's journey and found him an entertaining protagonist. Some interesting new additions to fit the Templar fantasy, such as assassin interceptions and stalkers which were both neat. Not terrible but distinctly average and lacking heart.

AC3 - The story is complex and politically engaging, raising questions over the nobility of the worshipped American patriot's. Connor's dynamic with Haytham was great and made for the best sections of the game. Connor overall was a great protagonist, he had a thirst for justice that came of as naive at times but amongst all the bigotry and hypocrisy of the revolution that was endearing. He always did what was right, and opened his heart to strangers and created his own little country. His anger is understandable and his relentless drive to achieve what he wants fills him with conviction. Unfortunately, the main missions are awful. Linear set pieces that require little player input, assassinations that point the player where to go and a ton of missions that consist of just walking to markers and watching cutscenes. The side missions have their positives such as naval and the peg-leg missions but most are just terrible. Walk up to a guy and deliver this letter. Walk up to a random guy with no guards and press square for this 'assassination contact'. Craft these items with our awful crafting mechanics and deliver it to this random guy. No context, no purpose and utterly boring.

AC1 - As I played this after 2 and Brotherhood the experience was a drag for me. Far too repetitive, nothing to do in the open world and the controls and stealth mechanics just feel slow and unintuitive. Great story but hard to get through due to the tedious 'investigations'. Assassination missions are pretty good, although often times I felt like I was stumped with no options when I had to get past guards. There were plenty of routes to take but the mechanics were very limited. Templars have thought-provoking philosophical dialogue as does Altair giving the game a lot of depth and complexity so if they got the gameplay right it could have been a masterpiece. A flawed gem, I don't dislike any AC game but AC1 is the one I least enjoyed.

TO_M
05-24-2015, 04:15 PM
1. AC1
2. AC2
3. Black Flag/Unity
4. AC:B
5. AC:Revelations
6. AC3
7. AC:Rogue

Farlander1991
05-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Assassin's Creed 4 to me is hands down the best crafted Assassin's Creed game so far. The story is beautiful, the history weaving is the best from all the series (maybe because it dealt mostly with historic accounts of a relatively small group of people rather than sprawling events), the gameplay and narrative are very well connected together. And if you compare just certain elements between the games, yes, there are things that you can say that those games have done better than AC4. But none of those games deliver the overall package and experience as well as AC4 does, and, honestly, to me it's the overall experience that counts the most.

SixKeys
05-24-2015, 09:47 PM
1. AC Brotherhood. I felt more attached to the characters since we had already been introduced to them in the previous game, so the writers could focus on interpersonal relationships more than in AC2. The side content was plentiful, varied and great. The atmosphere was great, the soundtrack amazing and I loved Rome. Combat may have been too easy, but man was it satisfying and fluid. Multiplayer was fantastic, best in the series. Modern day was a perfect blend of AC1 and AC2. We could leave the Animus to explore Monteriggioni any time we wanted, but if you didn't care for modern day, those sequences were so short they could be easily ignored. There was also still the mystery surrounding Subject 16, the glyphs and Erudito. And again, I felt more invested in the MD characters since they were more acquainted by now and there was a sense of true friendship. Even Shaun was bearable.

2. AC1. Still unbeatable in terms of atmosphere. There's just something about it that sucks me in every single time I replay it. I don't care that it doesn't have a ton of side content, just exploring the cities and Kingdom is enough. Sometimes I fire up the game just to freeroam in that world for a while, without doing anything special. The dialogue is also unsurpassed, it's so good it gives me shivers.
Al Mualim: "What is the truth?
Altair: "We place faith in ourselves. We see the world the way it really is. And hope that all mankind would see the same."
Al Mualim: "What is the world, then?"
Altair: "An illusion; one which either we can submit to, as most do, or transcend."
Al Mualim: "What is it to transcend?"
Altair: "To recognize nothing is true and everything is permitted; that laws arise not from divinity but reason. I understand now that our creed does not command us to be free. It commands us to be wise."
The soundtrack is still the best, too. The graphics have aged amazingly well, they still hold up today. There's a darkness and maturity to the entire game that feels different from all the sequels. I've said it before: AC1 feels in many ways more like an indie title than a AAA game. It's an experience more than a fun ride.

3. AC2. The story has an epic scope. Every time you think you're getting close to the heart of the conspiracy, you find it goes even deeper. We see Ezio's life from a baby to an immature teenager to a grown man. (It wasn't until ACB that they started exploring this maturity, though.) The cities are all different with their own flavour and atmosphere. The game has a Hollywood-esque sense of fun and light-heartedness to it. The soundtrack is once again amazing, though IMO dragging slightly behind AC1 and ACB. The graphics really haven't aged well though, it's clearly the weakest part of the game. The villains are two-dimensional, but personally I've never had a huge problem with it since the whole story is pretty basic. AC2 also started the trend of every game turning into a collect-a-thon, although at least the reward for Petruccio's feathers was a nice one.

4. AC Unity. I debated which deserved this spot more, AC4 or ACU. Ultimately it comes down to: which game would I imagine replaying sooner? And I think the answer is Unity. Finally we have decent stealth for the first time in the series. It may not be perfect, but it's more than previous games tried to do. Missions can be approached in many different ways and the optional objectives make them more fun instead of annoying (like poisoning the target's wine - it doesn't feel like a chore, it feels like an accomplishment). There is a metric tonne of side content. Not all of it is equally good (like the Nostradamus Enigmas, which had so much potential) but most are entertaining.I still prefer the old parkour system from the first games, but Unity's is at least decent compared to AC3, thanks to the "parkour down" button. The graphics are absolutely stunning. Paris is beautiful and feels alive. Time anomalies were cool. Customization is awesome, I can spend hours just messing around with various combinations. I like Arno as a character, even if it is obvious they tried to create an Ezio clone. Where the game falls flat is the story, modern day (what modern day?), the notorious amount of bugs and framerate issues, not to mention the Initiates and companion app content which have since been abandoned.

5. AC4: Black Flag. Probably the most cohesive overall experience since ACB. Everything you do makes sense in the context of Edward being a pirate. It always felt a bit weird that the other assassins would get distracted to go look for treasure or beat up cheating husbands when they had more important things to do. But Edward isn't really an assassin until late in the game, he doesn't care about the Creed. He's just a reckless but at heart decent bloke who's after a bit of coin. Upgrading the Jackdaw is a great twist to the old hideout trope, which was getting repetitive (and which they unfortunately brought back in Unity). You're not just upgrading something that you'll rarely visit, your ship is always close and is vital to the gameplay. Boarding ships never gets old. I dislike the underwater diving segments because of the atrocious controls, and some of the side content feels "just there", like the Mayan puzzles. Whaling as an activity is okay, but hunting in general is useless and nonsensical. Not only can you buy everything you need from shops, but it somehow takes two whale skins just to build a simple dart pouch? I don't care about any of the characters. I felt nothing when Blackbeard or Mary Read died. There just wasn't enough time to get to know them. The story has too many characters, to the point where it just seems to be marching out every famous pirate on display just to say "hey, look who else is here!". Edward is all right, but I have no particular attachment to him either. Modern day was a decent compromise to satisfy those who don't care about MD and those who do. Multiplayer was the best it's been since ACB. The soundtrack approached Jesper Kyd levels of eargasm. Overall, a great game, but somehow I still find myself less inclined to replay it.

6. AC Freedom Cry. Yes, I know it started out as a DLC, but it was later released as its own game, sooo.... On the surface it's just a Black Flag clone, very short, but its themes are the darkest and most thought-provoking since AC1, maybe more so. Tackling a subject like slavery and black history requires extreme finesse. You can't just ignore centuries of oppression and make your character just as carefree as the white protagonists. You also don't want to turn the main character into a walking stereotype of a black "thug". Adewale has a good reason and character motivation to act as he does in the game. His fighting style is brutal and angry because he has a lot of pent-up rage from his own time as a slave, and he cares deeply about protecting other people. The repetitive gameplay of constantly rescuing the same slaves over and over again feels annoying at first, but it can be seen as social commentary about how futile Adewale's fight really was. No matter how many slaves you save, it's never enough to end it all. You don't feel like the typical hero in this game, someone who saunters in and solves everyone's problems. Ade keeps fighting but it would still take centuries for slavery to be abolished. He would never live to see a better world. I feel he's a lot like Connor in AC3, but Ade's character was better rounded, more likable and expressed the same moral quandaries of which AC3 barely scratched the surface. The game may be short and repetitive, but its themes and philosophy elevate it to new heights.

7. AC Revelations. Honestly, I'm not even sure which deserves this spot more, Rogue or Revelations. Both are sub-par games that were developed in less than a year and it shows. Again, the deciding factor for me is "would I play this again?" and with Revelations, the answer would be yes. The city of Constantinople is small, but atmospheric enough for me to want to visit it again sometime. Some missions are fun for stealth, like Yerebatan Cistern. Roger Craig Smith does a fine job portraying Ezio as a tired old man. The Desmond segments are literally pointless (you can skip them entirely if you wish) but visually interesting, at least. The soundtrack is decent. That's about it for the positive sides. The characters left me cold again, the tutorials are sometimes confusing and count as actual missions, Ezio and Alta´r (especially the latter) sometimes feel out-of-character, what little side content there is is insultingly bad, the game is short as hell and more linear than its predecessors. Multiplayer is a broken mess that to this day doesn't work properly, it's an utter disgrace. The absolutely worst insult was that the reason everyone bought this game was to find out what happened to Lucy after the shocking cliffhanger in ACB, and then they completely neglected that plot point in the game itself and sold us the answer in the form of a crappy DLC. This game was just plain unnecessary.

8. AC Rogue. While we're on the subject of unnecessary games.... Another shameless copy-paste of Black Flag with a bad story and an even worse protagonist. The whole thing felt like bad fan fic. "Hey, look! It's that character from that other game! Aren't you glad to see him? Oh, and would you believe it? He knew this other character from that other game, who also knew this third character...." and so on. There was no point whatsoever for Haytham to be there, nor Adewale. Even modern day was worse than Black Flag's, it was even the same bloody office. Ooh, look, they changed it so there's a coffee cup lying on the floor now. Amazing. http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/rolleyes.png Fortunately, because it's such a copy-paste job, that also means the good side content from AC4 is carried over, which is its saving grace. Looting warehouses and boarding ships remains as fun as ever.

9. AC Liberation. Shares many of the same problems as AC3, but has at least marginally better locations, a better protagonist and the cool idea of different disguises and their relation to social stealth.

10. AC China Chronicles. Because anything is better than AC3.

11. AC3. My hatred for this game knows no bounds. As time goes on, I only loathe it more. It's a poorly designed, broken, ugly, boring, linear mess. It gets sympathy points for introducing naval combat for the first time and having great animations. Just thinking about some of the most baffling gameplay decisions is enough to get me riled up. Especially knowing what this game represented. It was supposed to be the epic end to Desmond's saga. The one that would tie up all the loose ends and deliver a satisfying conclusion. Key word: satisfying. It didn't even have to be a good ending, just a satisfying one would have done. But it botched that up as well. It was supposed to revitalize the series which had started to drag after AC2. Even though the setting of the American Revolution never seemed interesting to me, after Revelations I thought surely the only way to go was up. But this game single-handedly almost destroyed my faith in the entire franchise. Everything about it is bad and wrong and if you like it, you are bad and you should feel bad.

j/k

But it really is that bad.

VestigialLlama4
05-25-2015, 02:49 AM
But this game single-handedly almost destroyed my faith in the entire franchise. Everything about it is bad and wrong and if you like it, you are bad and you should feel bad.

j/k

But it really is that bad.

If AC3 disappointed some people, at least the developers did not outright lie to people. They did that before, during and after UNITY.

I-Like-Pie45
05-25-2015, 03:04 AM
If AC3 disappointed some people, at least the developers did not outright lie to people. They did that before, during and after UNITY.
frozen lakes

Shahkulu101
05-25-2015, 03:17 AM
Lol AC3 was notorious for broken promises

I-Like-Pie45
05-25-2015, 03:27 AM
SixKeys if you are reading this can you show us some pics of your arms? :)

SixKeys
05-25-2015, 05:00 AM

"We're going to take you to the Great Fire of New York!"

"We'll have frozen lakes that will affect gameplay!"

"There will be canoes!"

"Random events!"

"Naval freeroam!"

"Desmond will be awesome in this game!"

Yes, they were totally honest and totally delivered everything they said they would. :rolleyes:

VestigialLlama4
05-25-2015, 06:18 AM
"We're going to take you to the Great Fire of New York!"

"We'll have frozen lakes that will affect gameplay!"

"There will be canoes!"

"Random events!"

"Naval freeroam!"

"Desmond will be awesome in this game!"

Yes, they were totally honest and totally delivered everything they said they would. :rolleyes:

Yes they were honest. Close to launch, they said that canoes were removed and naval freeroam was gone. They were up front about that. The Great Fire I think they mentioned after launch but then its not like they advertised that before (whereas canoes were there in screenshots). Alex Hutchinson even stated that for the franchise to continue, they would have to move past Desmond and kind of hinted that. They also said that the pro-American promotion was not the full story So yes, AC3 was honest and upfront about the game they made. They still disappointed yes, but they were honest.

Unity though. Well Amancio lied through his teeth when he said there would be a mod-mission-mechanic for all the Assassination missions (its there just for side missions and its not anything different from earlier titles). Far and away the biggest thing was, this interview with Time Magazine. http://time.com/3471390/assassins-creed-unity/ where he said that the game would be objective and fair. He also said that it would be more gray than AC3, he also said Dead Kings would be the darkest story in the Franchise (you know BatArno and LeonRobin versus say Freedom Cry, a game about slavery). I will give Amancio the benefit of the doubt for the TIME thing and assume that the in-house historians told him everything was on the level but either way, its still a lie.

Then the game itself was even more deceitful and then after launch Ubisoft did not give a single interview out of shame whereas even AC3's developerd did AMA reddits and wrote letters defending their work. And now at Syndicate Launch they say they were too ambitious when the game was obviously a lame product-by-committee cash-in that has zero ambition. So yes they lied before, they lied during the game and they lied after the launch.

iSoTryHard
05-25-2015, 10:34 AM
1. ACII, I played this when I was about 13,(16 now) and I honestly fanboyed over it. To this date I have achieved 100% sync 4 times and completed the story and dlc at least 15 times. This game is my favorite game of all time. I loved the story, the setting (this game also got me interested in history) and every time I play it, it is just pure nostalgia. Even though I get frustrated because I'm terrible at free-running haha.

2. ACIV. I also played the crap out of this game. I've only finished it 3 times but I adored it. Wasn't a massive fan of the fact he was more pirate than Assassin but it was still great. I also really enjoyed the characters in the game and how good the naval was. Although all the little islands in the game was a bit tedious

3. AC Revelations. Although not as good as the other games I listed, I really enjoyed the setting, I really liked Yusuf and the Hookblade haha...

4. ACI. I've only finished this game once as I found it ridiculously repetitive but I absolutely loved the story and setting and Altair was a beast :D

5.AC Brotherhood. This game is really good. I loved the bow and the modern day and I didnt really enjoy how Leonardo was secondary, but thats just me. AND KILLSTREAKS!

6. ACIII. Im not really sure why everyone hates on this game so much but I'm not a huge fan of it. I think it was because my best friend and I were so hyped for the story and Connor and then we got Haytham for half the game. I really didnt like the naval either. But it wasnt terrible.

7. Unity... Okay so I have a few positives and negatives. I enjoyed the city, but it wasnt really that great for exploring. I enjoyed the customization but I do prefer unlocking it as we progress through the game. I encountered a few glitches that took away from the game for me and I didnt really enjoy the story.

8. Rogue. This is only on the bottom because I played the first 2 sequences only. I didn't continue because I played so much of Black Flag, that I just couldnt play it because of it being so similar. But I really enjoyed the little bit of story I played with seeing Young Achilles and old Adewale. (As I played the respective game and dlc).

I enjoyed all of these games and that's why it is my favorite franchise of all time.

dxsxhxcx
05-25-2015, 01:47 PM
AC1: excelent story and (the best) protagonist, perfect setting, terrific atmosphere (the best so far), good balance between Modern and Historical sequences, meaningful MD... it has its flaws, lack of variety being the most obvious one, and it might be a little harder to come back to it once you're used to the direction the franchise has took but IMO it's a great game (and the most balanced one in terms of combat difficulty)...

kdarnell233
05-25-2015, 02:44 PM
#1. AC2 and no other game comes close. The notoriety system, the modern day story, the introduction of Juno, the money system, the story line, the glyphs, I mean this game has it ALL. Top to bottom it was the most complete AC game that has ever been released.

#2. Black Flag was extremely fun, but it was more of a pirate game than an AC game. The assassins story line felt forced (you weren't even an assassin until the last 3 missions), the main story itself was extremely short. and the modern day story made no sense and meandered along. Still, the naval aspect and the tropical setting were enough to overcome the weak protagonist and story line, which made this one of the most fun games of the series.

#3. Once the bugs were fixed, Unity had the best mechanics of the series. It was visually gorgeous and had the best fighting system to date. This game could've been great had they kept a notoriety system, gave us a much better modern day story line (cause at this point, I have no clue where that's going), not relied so heavily on an app for certain activities, and lengthened the main story line.

#4. AC1 got the ball rolling on this great franchise, and was a new style of game that many had never seen. The mixing of modern day with 1191 was incredible. One of the AC games that I still play from time to time. The medieval setting, the dialogue, the cities, just an awesome game. Sure it was repetitive, but there's just something about it that I'm drawn too.

#5. Brotherhood. I felt like they could've just made the main story DLC for AC2. Having other assassins at your call was a good addition though. I have no idea why they've done away with both that and the notoriety system.

#6. AC3. The modern day story was excellent, but the main story was dull as it can get. Nothing like running around in 2 feet of snow in the woods to get to an objective 800m away.

#7. Revelations. Just a filler title to fill the year long void until AC3 was set to come out. The only new thing this game added was a grapple hook.

Sef1n
05-25-2015, 03:21 PM
AC3 is #1 for me.

I like story and Connor. I did 100% of the game so I think I understand his personality well and that is why I like him the most.
Also I love homestead and I am missing it a lot in other games. Every other AC game has base, but it is useless compared to AC3 Homestead, because it has homestead missions, talks with people and basicaly one can care for them and see their story and I appreciate it a lot. With this goes crafting and trade, which is also nicely done. It was confusing from the start, but when I got the mechanic it is very good and I enjoy trading.

I like ACIV and Unity for it┤s possible stealth approach.

Ezio had great story, but it was still much about killing everybody around as the only true way. But Ezio┤s games were the best in technical way. No bugs and no FPS issues.
Yet for today, I am missing stealth mechanics for these old games to enjoy them at full potentioal. So remake would work as well :-) Firenze with Unity┤s Engine... o my.. :-)

I would love to see ACIII remake or another story of Connor with no FPS drops and with less bugs and with better side missions.
He is great character and deserves second game to remedy issues of badly shipped AC3...

SixKeys
05-25-2015, 06:01 PM
Yes they were honest. Close to launch, they said that canoes were removed and naval freeroam was gone. They were up front about that. The Great Fire I think they mentioned after launch but then its not like they advertised that before (whereas canoes were there in screenshots). Alex Hutchinson even stated that for the franchise to continue, they would have to move past Desmond and kind of hinted that. They also said that the pro-American promotion was not the full story So yes, AC3 was honest and upfront about the game they made. They still disappointed yes, but they were honest.

Sorry, but no. I followed AC3 news very closely and I never saw anything about naval freeroam being removed until I played the game. Canoes, maybe, I don't remember. The Great Fire was talked about extensively in post-E3 interviews and yes, its removal was only addressed after launch. They did say they would have to move past Desmond, but they also said they really wanted to give him a good sendoff and make him totally badass because before he had always been kind of bland. Plenty of lies were told, as is the case with every AC. Or if not outright lies, then half-truths or exaggerated promises they will ultimately fail to deliver on (aka the Molyneux cycle). If you advertise a feature multiple times just a few months before your game comes out and fail to tell your fans when it's been cut before launch, expect backlash. AC4 handled this better. That game was supposed to have Edward crouching for a while when he exited a stalking zone. It may seem like a small thing, but it was the closest thing to a crouch button we had back then. They kept swearing that feature was going to be in the final game, until just a month or two before release when Darby announced on his Twitter that they unfortunately had to change it because playtesters found it confusing. AC4 had probably the best marketing in the series and that's mainly because its devs were TRULY honest and communicative with fans.

Shahkulu101
05-25-2015, 06:33 PM
I remember hearing that Desmond's sections in AC3 would amount to about 4 sequences...

Haha.

Ha.

VestigialLlama4
05-25-2015, 07:44 PM
I remember hearing that Desmond's sections in AC3 would amount to about 4 sequences...

Haha.

Ha.

Well if by Desmond you mean the Emails, the Interactive Conversations with the other Assassins, the Great Temple platform sequences (and the Juno hologram conversations) and the three missions, I'd say its nearly as long as the first three sequences of Haytham's Tutorial section. So three out of four aint so bad.

Sorry, but no. I followed AC3 news very closely and I never saw anything about naval freeroam being removed until I played the game.

I also followed that and I bought the game knowing fully well that there's no naval free-roam. They mentioned that near the launch, they did say it was possible at E3 but close to the end, in one of the magazines, the same one which said no canoes, they said naval free-roam wasn't there.

The main reasons why its not there is that it would have made the game very big, and the land-gameplay would have to be compromised as seen in Black Flag and in ROGUE. So logically, while I think they mentioned it in E3 (and they did mention it yes) eventually they realized it was 1) one too many feature 2) not really all that fitting to Connor, who's a frontiersman native guy (Its not that fitting in ROGUE either for that matter). 3) there's plenty enough naval in AC3 (roughly ten percent of the game) already.

Plenty of lies were told, as is the case with every AC. Or if not outright lies, then half-truths or exaggerated promises they will ultimately fail to deliver on (aka the Molyneux cycle).

Technically speaking, AC3 did not lie when they said "we'll have free-roam and canoes", at the time they really did believe it would be there, and likewise "The Great Fire". They did tell people near the launch the first two features were cut and yes, they didn't mention "the Great Fire" probably because it would be a spoiler and their advertising never promoted it nor featured a screenshot.

UNITY outright lied about nearly every single thing. You had promos where Arno is pro-Revolutionary and feeding aristocrats to the mob. You had Amancio outright stating two months close to launch that it would be the grayest and it would be objective. So yes, UNITY lied and AC3 did not. There is a difference between broken promises, disappointment with results, and outright falsehoods which is what UNITY did.

AC4 had probably the best marketing in the series and that's mainly because its devs were TRULY honest and communicative with fans.

Well they didn't really have to innovate on much, or come up with new features and stuff the way AC3 did. They decided to do Naval Freeroam by simplifying the land gameplay, natural environments, weather and lighting, all of which were built for AC3 and not for them. So they had greater clarity of goals and simpler task than AC3 did.

UNITY has even fewer excuses than this.

I-Like-Pie45
05-25-2015, 07:52 PM
Ubi be liar!

I protest to the Ubi! :mad:

GunnerGalactico
05-25-2015, 08:04 PM
1. AC4- This to me had the best of both worlds, it had a good story, great side content and an okay protagonist. It hit all the right notes for me and kept me busy for hours. It wasn't just a pirate adventure game, it felt every bit as an AC game just as much as it's predecessors did.

2. ACB- After replaying this game (with all the side content and before completing the main campaign), I have to say that it changed my mind about things. It used to be one of my least favourite game of the franchise, and now it is my second favourite. Even though the story was not that exciting to me, the MD was interesting and I really enjoyed the side content. And also, I enjoyed the exploration all over Rome.

3. ACU- To me, this is the most visually stunning game ever. The story is not the most "exciting" in the franchise, but I will give it reprieve on it's gameplay. So far, it feels the most stealthy of all the AC games, we actually had a bustling city since AC1, the interiors were gorgeous and I really liked exploring all over Paris. I also think that Arno is a good character, even though he is not liked by a lot of people.

4. AC3- Hated by others, liked by me :rolleyes:. Yeah, yeah it has it's flaws, but also it's redeeming qualities. It had a great plot. The Captain Kidd missions, naval, privateer contracts and forts kinda compensated for it's lack of enjoyable side content. Like Arno, Connor is a great character... but is not received well by a lot of people. It's linear mission design, item crafting and all the stuff mentioned at E3 not being present in the game was a major let down. Despite all of that, I still have the urge to replay this game.

5. AC2- Even though it does not have the best graphics, this game still looks visually appealing to the eye. The cities are beautiful and I enjoyed exploring them. It has a fairly interesting plot and great ambient music. I actually enjoyed the main campaign more than the side content. The highlight of this game was it's collectables and Assassin Tombs.

6. AC1- If I had to describe this game in one word, I would say intriguing. Of all of the games, I really enjoyed it's setting and eerie atmosphere. It had great plot and the MD was a bit interesting. Again, this game has a great character that is not liked by many people. The only gripe I have is that the missions are repetitive, but other than that, it is a good game.

7. ACRe.- Great setting and beautiful city. It had an okay plot and I actually liked Ezio a little more in this game. I have mixed feelings about the main campaign, there wasn't much side content and the MD was shocking. I kinda tried hard to dig and find something that I really enjoyed about this game, but couldn't sadly.

8. ACRo.- Where do I begin?. Everything felt recycled. The roles of Templars and Assassins feels lopsided in this game. New York looked like Havana.The plot felt like an ode to fans and this is the first time ever that I did not connect with a main character. On the bright side, at least it has good side content. Overall, I'm not keen on playing this game again.

9. ACL- This game was dull from start to finish. The plot was at least better than the one in Revelations and it had a good protagonist. The whole disguise system was great but was not enough to me make enjoy the entire game. The side content was uninteresting and even though the cities were colourful, it was still boring to me. The Bayou felt drab and it didn't make me wanna go swimming or hunting for alligator eggs. Once I completed the main campaign, I haven't played it since.

EmptyCrustacean
05-25-2015, 10:21 PM
This has been a very enjoyable thread to read. It's interesting to see such diverse tastes and shows that with AC, despite its flaws, there's no other franchise quite like it.
ubi has truly put out a great set of games.

SixKeys
05-26-2015, 06:43 AM
Technically speaking, AC3 did not lie when they said "we'll have free-roam and canoes", at the time they really did believe it would be there, and likewise "The Great Fire". They did tell people near the launch the first two features were cut and yes, they didn't mention "the Great Fire" probably because it would be a spoiler and their advertising never promoted it nor featured a screenshot.

UNITY outright lied about nearly every single thing. You had promos where Arno is pro-Revolutionary and feeding aristocrats to the mob. You had Amancio outright stating two months close to launch that it would be the grayest and it would be objective. So yes, UNITY lied and AC3 did not. There is a difference between broken promises, disappointment with results, and outright falsehoods which is what UNITY did.

Now you're just playing with words and coming up with excuses why AC3's marketing lies somehow don't count as lies while Unity's do.

Since you insist on treating promotional trailers as truthful representations of the final game, AC3's trailers lied by making Connor seem neutral when in fact he was pro-Patriots throughout the whole game. They made it seem like you would be able to charge into the midst of a full army and slaughter whole firing squads, never happened. AC4's trailer also lied by making Edward seem like a womanizer when in fact he was faithful to his wife. ACR's promo trailers showed messages from Subject 16 saying "Lucy - you will know the truth", as if we were going to find out what happened to her in the main game as opposed to a cheap DLC. But I'm sure you'll find some way to handwave away those lies so you can keep pretending Unity is the first and only AC game to ever have misleading marketing.

VestigialLlama4
05-26-2015, 02:51 PM
Now you're just playing with words and coming up with excuses why AC3's marketing lies somehow don't count as lies while Unity's do.

No my arguments are fairly logical and consistent. You just call it playing it with words because you can't respond to any part of my comparison.

Since you insist on treating promotional trailers as truthful representations of the final game, AC3's trailers lied by making Connor seem neutral when in fact he was pro-Patriots throughout the whole game.

The developers repeatedly said that the actual game would be grayer and darker and that there's more to it than what they say. And they are right after all. Almost nothing of the plot and twists in AC3 were revealed before launch. Whereas UNITY promised to be a darker game, with Templar girlfriend and the like, and the game ended up being a perfect piece of trash that makes the Star Wars prequels look complex.

And again why cherry-pick the promotional advertisements? I also pointed out that Amancio repeatedly lied (or was misinformed by researchers who definitely lied) close to launch about everything else. I said the promotions were part of it, but also the entire marketing as a whole and specific interviews. Why don't you respond to any of that?

AngelDiMaria08
05-26-2015, 04:12 PM
Rogue
As it goes away from the idea of the angelic assassins and Templar devils and shows a grey area of the conflict where you don't know who are the goods and who are the bad. A more realistic game.

Junguler
05-26-2015, 05:00 PM
games i liked:
ac
ac3
ac4

games i didn't like:
ezio trilogy
ac unity

haven't played rouge and i don't really care about other minor games.

Altair1789
05-26-2015, 08:40 PM
I'm not going into too much depth with this. I liked pretty much every game except for Unity, but in this order:

AC3: I really liked this because of the transition between Ezio trilogy and not Ezio trilogy. Being in an era that wasn't too long ago felt nice. I thought the story was amazing, weapon and fighting system were cool (but not balanced) and I liked Connor. Downsides: Level design was bad, climbing was bad, a lot of apparently forgotten promises

ACR: It was Ezio's best game in my opinion. Ezio wasn't really a protagonist I liked up until ACR. The only reason this is ranked higher than Brotherhood is the story + city. Gameplay-wise they were nearly identical, and while ACB had probably an ideal city for what a game dev wants to make, I liked Istanbul better. Alta´r having around 5 or 6 missions was a huge plus. Downsides: Not much new gameplay wise from Brotherhood

ACB: ACB was the first AC game I got hyped for and bought on launch. It was really fun playing it because there was barely any precedent set by recent games that wasn't surpassed. Overall it felt really fresh and fun. Downsides: Wasn't exactly "visually pleasing", I didn't like Ezio

AC1: AC1 was the first Assassin's Creed game, and the first one I played since it was the only one out at the time I played it (2008). In terms of gameplay, compared to all other games, it's obviously the worst since it was the first game, but it was actually really fun back when I played it because I've never really played something like it before. I didn't really like any other game series up until I played AC1. The story paved the way for what was ruined by annualization, and I really liked Alta´r (my name is Altair1789 so no surprise there)

AC4: Initially, I hated AC4 and really didn't want an AC pirate game because I thought it would be more about naval than AC. I was right, but after about 8 months after the game released, I started to look at the game in a more optimistic way. I watched one of those cutscene + a little bit of gameplay movies and liked the story and Edward much better. Then Unity launched and I looked at AC4 as a much much better game. Downsides: setting, a lot of naval, "pirate trained by assassins" was complete bs

AC2: I feel it's either extremely overrated or extremely underrated. You don't need to either love the Ezio trilogy or think it ruined the series, I'm in the middle, especially with AC2. I didn't think it was the greatest game, but it definitely had it's fun moments and memories. Nostalgia drives people way too much though. Downsides: Protagonist, graphics (not a big deal, but I might as well factor this in), repetition to an extent

ACRo: AC Rogue had a crapton of plot holes (if Shay thought the templars were scum for wanting to control the whole world, why would the earthquake in Lisbon change his views on that? Of course it was stupid of Achilles to be so stubborn, but it's not like there was a demonstration of why the templars are right, it was just an earthquake caused by the recklessness of an assassin affair that wasn't even part of the assassins' main tenets) and had the same gameplay as AC4. Shay was ok, I just don't understand his logic at all. On top of that, I expected a lot from Rogue involving AC3, like past characters (more than just Haytham, Johnson, and a glimpse of Lee in a dark room)

AC Unity: You know ( ͡░ ͜ʖ ͡░)
Unity was fun at least. Innovative, but it left out a lot of seemingly key features. Story sucked though. I hated Arno until Dead Kings

AC Freedom Cry isn't exactly a fully fledged game, it was close though. I liked Adewale, setting wasn't exactly my favorite, freeing slaves was a nice theme (although freedom cry itself was less AC-like than AC4, at least Adewale was pursuing a noble cause)

Never played ACL, I've seen a cutscene + some gameplay movie and the story didn't seem too interesting. The end was the only notable part in my opinion. Aveline doesn't look like a particularly bad protagonist, but I didn't pay much attention to character depth and all that stuff. The bayou was a cool setting though.

Kaschra
05-26-2015, 10:37 PM
Fave: AC4. I love almost everything about this game. Gameplay, story, characters, atmosphere, setting, music...

Least fave: Unity. Gameplay is nice and all, and Paris looks great, but I really can't get into the story and I dislike almost every character.

Not sure how I'd rank the games inbetween.

EmptyCrustacean
05-26-2015, 10:58 PM
ACRo: AC Rogue had a crapton of plot holes (if Shay thought the templars were scum for wanting to control the whole world, why would the earthquake in Lisbon change his views on that? Of course it was stupid of Achilles to be so stubborn, but it's not like there was a demonstration of why the templars are right, it was just an earthquake caused by the recklessness of an assassin affair that wasn't even part of the assassins' main tenets) and had the same gameplay as AC4. Shay was ok, I just don't understand his logic at all. On top of that, I expected a lot from Rogue involving AC3, like past characters (more than just Haytham, Johnson, and a glimpse of Lee in a dark room)

Thank you!!! I've been saying this for months!!!
Is Shay so stupid that he can't see Achilles actually broke the Assassin codes? Why didn't he run off and start his own Assassin brotherhood? Or why not just leave Assassins and live out the rest of his life as a normal guy? Why side with enemies he was raised to believe were scum of the Earth? That made no sense whatsoever. His motivations were weak. I understand why he no longer wanted to be an Assassin but honestly cannot tell you why he wanted to be a Templar.

GunnerGalactico
05-27-2015, 08:47 AM
Never played ACL, I've seen a cutscene + some gameplay movie and the story didn't seem too interesting. The end was the only notable part in my opinion. Aveline doesn't look like a particularly bad protagonist, but I didn't pay much attention to character depth and all that stuff. The bayou was a cool setting though.

This game only had a few notable things worth mentioning. Aveline was a good character, but the game was sucky and didn't really add anything to franchise. The Bayou looked cool on the trailers and snapshots, but looked like a burst sewer pipe in the actual game. Even Chichen Itza was a complete bore. Overall, this game is a complete waste of time. If you haven't played it yet, you are not missing out on anything.

SixKeys
05-27-2015, 09:50 PM
And again why cherry-pick the promotional advertisements? I also pointed out that Amancio repeatedly lied (or was misinformed by researchers who definitely lied) close to launch about everything else. I said the promotions were part of it, but also the entire marketing as a whole and specific interviews. Why don't you respond to any of that?

Because your argument appears to be nothing more than "well yeah, but WHAT ABOUT UNITY?". Just because Unity's developers made more mistakes doesn't negate the ones made by AC3's developers. Every time I bring up something like "AC3's developers lied about this, that and the other thing", you refuse to actually acknowledge it and keep harping on about "But Unity was worse!". How about actually admitting that AC3's developers weren't perfect and told plenty of lies during marketing?

EmptyCrustacean
05-27-2015, 10:03 PM
Because your argument appears to be nothing more than "well yeah, but WHAT ABOUT UNITY?". Just because Unity's developers made more mistakes doesn't negate the ones made by AC3's developers. Every time I bring up something like "AC3's developers lied about this, that and the other thing", you refuse to actually acknowledge it and keep harping on about "But Unity was worse!". How about actually admitting that AC3's developers weren't perfect and told plenty of lies during marketing?

Interesting. I pointed out that devs cut out half the things from the E3 demo of Unity and I believe you countered by showing how much they cut out of AC3.

SixKeys
05-27-2015, 10:36 PM
Interesting. I pointed out that devs cut out half the things from the E3 demo of Unity and I believe you countered by showing how much they cut out of AC3.

E3 demos aren't really representative of the final product anymore, haven't been for years. AC3 was the first one that taught me that. Assassin_M probably would have compared it to the AC2 demo or something since that was his big disappointment. I never expected Unity's demo to be fully representative of the actual game because I was there when they did it with AC3. Many others weren't, and act like Unity was the first game in the series to massively misrepresent itself.

Either way, I won't deny Unity's mistakes. I've never acted like Unity didn't have problems or that the devs didn't lie or exaggerate their promises. I'm just here to remind people that AC3 (and other games before it) did this plenty, and the devs were never 100% honest about the game as Llama suggests.

Sorrosyss
05-27-2015, 10:52 PM
ACB or AC3 for me. Ironically those two had the most Juno in. Tis a sign!

But seriously, those two had the best combination of using the historical, first civ, and modern day eras in equal amounts. For me, it was when the series was correctly balanced storywise.

Unsurprisingly, Unity is the weakest in my view. Poor story, and next to no modern day or first civ. Unfortunately I'm only prepared to make my selection based on story, as that matters to me most, but even I will admit that Paris does look amazing. Hopefully London will match or better it, but living in London myself, it will be interesting to walk around a city I actually know for once.

ShoryukenMan
05-28-2015, 02:48 AM
Not sure, but I think there was a thread like this not too long ago. I'm not going to rate every single AC game in here because I already did that in whatever thread that was. I'll just say that, Brotherhood is my favorite AC ever. I guess I just love Ezio, the Renaissance, setting, music, story, and nearly everything about that game. I loved how most of the side missions tied into the story. I loved where the modern day story was going in that game (too bad I hated where it ended up).

ze_topazio
05-28-2015, 03:13 AM
^ We get a thread like this every once in a while.

VestigialLlama4
05-28-2015, 04:59 AM
Because your argument appears to be nothing more than "well yeah, but WHAT ABOUT UNITY?".

Well anytime, I criticize UNITY, you always say, "What about AC3?" "What About AC2?" and so on and so forth. You don't seem to accept that UNITY destroyed a lot of what made AC special simply because it provided you some familiar stealth features and a crouch button.

Just because Unity's developers made more mistakes doesn't negate the ones made by AC3's developers. Every time I bring up something like "AC3's developers lied about this, that and the other thing", you refuse to actually acknowledge it and keep harping on about "But Unity was worse!". How about actually admitting that AC3's developers weren't perfect and told plenty of lies during marketing?

I have repeatedly pointed out flaws made by AC3 elsewhere and I have said that including Haytham was a sign of timidity on their part.

But as regards marketing, AC3 never hid their necks under a sand despite having a more divisive launch than any AC game at the time. So I can't see how you can say they were dishonest. Obviously they can't tell everything about their product because it would be huge spoilers and as much as people complain about cut-features, there were features in the game that were totally surprising (the lock-picking game for one, the Forts, Kidd Missions, Underground Tunnels) and un-advertised, whether or not this was good or bad to have so many, the fact is you cannot say they outright lied which UNITY did and which you refuse to accept, by simply using the "That other guy" defense.

Likewise, after AC3 came out, they gave post-launch interviews (even for the DLC which UNITY refused to do), they defended themselves in publications and they discussed their game. They were upfront and clear. UNITY hid their necks under the sand and refused to give any interviews whatsoever except for the ones loomer had to get for the launch, and then on the SYNDICATE launch they said UNITY was too ambitious, which is totally false since its not an ambitious game at all and was intended as a safe newbie product. So that's why I say UNITY outright lied to the public and they did so right from the launch, and the reason they had to lie and hide in shame is because they made a bad product from day 1 and knew it.

SixKeys
05-28-2015, 12:19 PM
Well anytime, I criticize UNITY, you always say, "What about AC3?" "What About AC2?" and so on and so forth. You don't seem to accept that UNITY destroyed a lot of what made AC special simply because it provided you some familiar stealth features and a crouch button.

Fair enough.

Unity didn't destroy what made AC special though, AC3 did that. (And ACR, to an extent, before it.)

But as regards marketing, AC3 never hid their necks under a sand despite having a more divisive launch than any AC game at the time. So I can't see how you can say they were dishonest. Obviously they can't tell everything about their product because it would be huge spoilers and as much as people complain about cut-features, there were features in the game that were totally surprising (the lock-picking game for one, the Forts, Kidd Missions, Underground Tunnels) and un-advertised, whether or not this was good or bad to have so many, the fact is you cannot say they outright lied which UNITY did and which you refuse to accept, by simply using the "That other guy" defense.

Likewise, after AC3 came out, they gave post-launch interviews (even for the DLC which UNITY refused to do), they defended themselves in publications and they discussed their game. They were upfront and clear. UNITY hid their necks under the sand and refused to give any interviews whatsoever except for the ones loomer had to get for the launch, and then on the SYNDICATE launch they said UNITY was too ambitious, which is totally false since its not an ambitious game at all and was intended as a safe newbie product. So that's why I say UNITY outright lied to the public and they did so right from the launch, and the reason they had to lie and hide in shame is because they made a bad product from day 1 and knew it.

Um, Unity did have a post-launch interview about the DLC.

Did they refuse or were they prevented from giving interviews? Ubi was in full panic mode after Unity's launch. The mods here didn't even make a general feedback thread for Unity - something they do for every big release - , most likely because they knew what a ****storm the whole thread would turn into.

As for Unity being ambitious, that's a matter of definitions. Was it innovative? No. Was it amibitious? I would say yes. Their original plan - the one Jeff Yohalem talked about in Loomer's interview - was so ambitious they ended up having to scrap the concept and cobble together something resembling a coherent story from the leftovers.

Either way, devs' pre- or post-launch shenanigans aside, at least Unity was an enjoyable game, something I cannot say about AC3. :cool:

VestigialLlama4
05-28-2015, 02:05 PM
Um, Unity did have a post-launch interview about the DLC.

You mean Jeffrey Yohalem's podcast with loomer, that's not what I mean. I mean interviews with actual publications not stuff fans have to go out of their way to get.

Did they refuse or were they prevented from giving interviews?

Doesn't matter. Fact is they didn't. They were not so cowardly when they made AC3.

Ubi was in full panic mode after Unity's launch. The mods here didn't even make a general feedback thread for Unity - something they do for every big release - , most likely because they knew what a ****storm the whole thread would turn into.

Well they had the option of choosing the best questions to answer right? Why didn't they take that?

As for Unity being ambitious, that's a matter of definitions. Was it innovative? No. Was it amibitious? I would say yes.

I don't see how anything can be "ambitious" and not be "innovative".

The reverse can be true, you can be "innovative" and not "ambitious", like Portal, and Half Life for that mater, are innovative but not necessarily ambitious. Portal essentially has the classic video game narrative of POP1, from prisoner to escapee, and the sequel reuses that same narrative and introduces the other tradition of popular villains becoming anti-heroic supporting characters (Darth Vader, Arnold's Terminator). Half-Life 2 likewise is cobbled from a patchwork of post-apocalyptic cliches, deliberately so (and probably the real reason why there's no third game since the conclusion will inevitably disappoint).

Unity didn't destroy what made AC special though, AC3 did that. (And ACR, to an extent, before it.)

Objectively, regardless of whether people like AC3 or not, it was the last major game where AC really did remain loyal to its original mission: do eras and periods no other games did, show history from an outsider perspective and create unique open worlds that cannot be interacted with in any other way. Black Flag is also in that vein but since it essentially recobbles AC3's assets rather than really do something new and it works by refashioning familiar genre elements, though its reconfigured open-world stealth is very good.

UNITY is even less innovative than AC1 and I can understand some people can like it the way a dumb shiny toy can be likable. The game is essentially a plastic model toy version of Paris that has none of the weather, street-life and actual culture of the time, its essentially a bunch of interiors where you can play hide and seek with NPCs who are floating red blobs behind walls (Eagle Vision which it stole from Black Flag I might add) and I can understand people might like that regression to childhood but I don't see why that is to be respected or supported in a major AAA title. I played hide-and-seek when I was a small kid and that was way harder(and cheaper) than what I can do in UNITY, after all I had to hide without the help of Eagle vision that can make me see through walls. That's essentially what the stealth in that game amounts to as seen in the prologue with KidArno, and the gameplay doesn't really change in any respect from that, nothing more than an expensive hide-and-seek simulator.

Doing things that no other games can do and in a manner that only games can do is what AC is about (pre-UNITY). No one can climb the real Colosseum after all, or run on trees or climb rocks and battle ships like you can do in AC (since naval doctrine today makes that kind of close-and-personal ship fights obsolete). And without that sense of an actual culture and society in a certain time and place, without the history, none of the architecture and interaction with it has any value to a gamer. UNITY as such is an entirely worthless artifact whereas AC3 and ACR do stay loyal to the core of the series.

dimbismp
05-28-2015, 04:40 PM
Acb>=ac4bf>>acu>>ac2>ac3>acr>>ac1

Shahkulu101
05-28-2015, 05:06 PM
You mean Jeffrey Yohalem's podcast with loomer, that's not what I mean. I mean interviews with actual publications not stuff fans have to go out of their way to get.

Doesn't matter. Fact is they didn't. They were not so cowardly when they made AC3.

Well they had the option of choosing the best questions to answer right? Why didn't they take that?

I don't see how anything can be "ambitious" and not be "innovative".

The reverse can be true, you can be "innovative" and not "ambitious", like Portal, and Half Life for that mater, are innovative but not necessarily ambitious. Portal essentially has the classic video game narrative of POP1, from prisoner to escapee, and the sequel reuses that same narrative and introduces the other tradition of popular villains becoming anti-heroic supporting characters (Darth Vader, Arnold's Terminator). Half-Life 2 likewise is cobbled from a patchwork of post-apocalyptic cliches, deliberately so (and probably the real reason why there's no third game since the conclusion will inevitably disappoint).

Objectively, regardless of whether people like AC3 or not, it was the last major game where AC really did remain loyal to its original mission: do eras and periods no other games did, show history from an outsider perspective and create unique open worlds that cannot be interacted with in any other way. Black Flag is also in that vein but since it essentially recobbles AC3's assets rather than really do something new and it works by refashioning familiar genre elements, though its reconfigured open-world stealth is very good.

UNITY is even less innovative than AC1 and I can understand some people can like it the way a dumb shiny toy can be likable. The game is essentially a plastic model toy version of Paris that has none of the weather, street-life and actual culture of the time, its essentially a bunch of interiors where you can play hide and seek with NPCs who are floating red blobs behind walls (Eagle Vision which it stole from Black Flag I might add) and I can understand people might like that regression to childhood but I don't see why that is to be respected or supported in a major AAA title. I played hide-and-seek when I was a small kid and that was way harder(and cheaper) than what I can do in UNITY, after all I had to hide without the help of Eagle vision that can make me see through walls. That's essentially what the stealth in that game amounts to as seen in the prologue with KidArno, and the gameplay doesn't really change in any respect from that, nothing more than an expensive hide-and-seek simulator.

Doing things that no other games can do and in a manner that only games can do is what AC is about (pre-UNITY). No one can climb the real Colosseum after all, or run on trees or climb rocks and battle ships like you can do in AC (since naval doctrine today makes that kind of close-and-personal ship fights obsolete). And without that sense of an actual culture and society in a certain time and place, without the history, none of the architecture and interaction with it has any value to a gamer. UNITY as such is an entirely worthless artifact whereas AC3 and ACR do stay loyal to the core of the series.

ACR can't have been loyal to the core of the series, since the history in that game is entirely fabricated. There was no Byzantine uprising at that time, yes it's a Templar conspiracy but those are usually based on existing conspiracies but with a Templar twist to them, like the Pazzi conspiracy for instance. ACR is just entirely false.

Megas_Doux
05-28-2015, 07:15 PM
At the moment:

1 AC IV.
2 AC I.
3 AC II.
4 AC U.
5 AC Rev.
6 AC B.
7 AC III.
8 AC Rogue.

And LOL at people defending AC III┤s outright lies in the likes of:

1 Frozen lakes.
2 Canoes.
3 Great Fire of NY.
4 Naval free roam.
5 Oh yeah, there┤s going to be Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.
6 Random events such as : Sudden battles between factions of dozens of guards in the frontier for instance.
7 Lively camps all around the frontier.

I get it, you may like AC III, there┤s nothing wrong with that, but it┤s just not right to deny the blatant lies told...

VestigialLlama4
05-28-2015, 08:12 PM
ACR can't have been loyal to the core of the series, since the history in that game is entirely fabricated. There was no Byzantine uprising at that time, yes it's a Templar conspiracy but those are usually based on existing conspiracies but with a Templar twist to them, like the Pazzi conspiracy for instance. ACR is just entirely false.

Well in ACR there isn't a Byzantine conspiracy either. As pointed out by Darby in interviews and as is clear in the game, the Byzantine Templars are NOT the original Byzantines, they are a street-gang refashioned as such and the leader is an Ottoman Prince himself. Revelations is loyal to the core of the series in that it shows Ottoman Turkey as something more than a land of odalisques and harem girls (there isn't a single one in the game) and corrects a lot of stereotypes people have about the East and it is loyal about Ottoman dynastic policies, the enforced fratricide as a succession policy, all that is accurate.

I get it, you may like AC III, there┤s nothing wrong with that, but it┤s just not right to deny the blatant lies told...

What is far worse is using a bias to exaggerate flaws without any consideration of virtues and continue to hold on to a misguided sense of disappointment. With UNITY, I don't have to exaggerate the flaws or the failures of Ubisoft's development choices and their mendacity in selling the product, the actual evidence shows that clearly. How they behaved before the game's release and the shameful way they acted after launch.

And as I said earlier, the AC3 developers said before launch that canoes and naval freeroam was removed so you can't call them liars for that. Okay they didn't mentioned the Great Fire was gone but saying that it was not there would arguably be a plot spoiler. Furthermore there was a host of things in the game which they did not advertise or promote, namely the prologue. And they gave interviews after launch and wrote letters defending their work, which UNITY's developers (being ashamed of their product) did not do at all.

Altair1789
05-28-2015, 10:07 PM
And LOL at people defending AC III┤s outright lies in the likes of:

1 Frozen lakes.
2 Canoes.
3 Great Fire of NY.
4 Naval free roam.
5 Oh yeah, there┤s going to be Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.
6 Random events such as : Sudden battles between factions of dozens of guards in the frontier for instance.
7 Lively camps all around the frontier.

This is why I was extremely hyped about AC3 :( I do love AC3 as it is, and it could've made an amazing game if it had been held off for a couple years and released for next gen (this stuff could return in a remaster or something) but it is true, there were many disappointments

SixKeys
05-29-2015, 09:44 AM

https://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/05151fb446436822640878af466e251c1a91a3-wm.jpg

D.I.D.
05-29-2015, 11:54 AM

Wind your neck in, mate. All games are fantasy toys. Play is good. Stealth can be hugely rewarding and enriching to a game when it's done well. Dismissing it as being simply infantile is a very weak position.

Eagle vision might not be ideal and it could certainly be implemented in a more sophisticated way, but it would need to be there even if we didn't have superpowers in the game. A stealth game that simulates the real world is at a major disadvantage if it can't simulate the very sophisticated senses of ordinary people. I can track your rough position two rooms away by the sounds you make, and more accurately that that if you're in the next room talking to a colleague. I can tell if you're facing towards the wall I'm looking at or away from it by the frequency range of your speech. I can tell your direction of movement from the sequence of your footsteps. If I was hidden and you walked past my spot, I could pick you up by your breathing, the near-silent way your clothes displace the air. You cannot represent this well with stereo or even surround sound, so it needs to be translated to a different sense. Sure, it could be a lot better - it could only light up the target at the exact moments they make a sound, and only sharpen if they speak - but it's not an unnecessary mechanic.

VestigialLlama4
05-29-2015, 06:13 PM
Wind your neck in, mate. All games are fantasy toys. Play is good. Stealth can be hugely rewarding and enriching to a game when it's done well. Dismissing it as being simply infantile is a very weak position.

I like stealth games, I just don't like weak half-a--ed repititive stealth games, where innovation is Arno crouching and walking like an overgrown blue turtle, where level design is five different ways to get through a single wall.

Eagle vision might not be ideal and it could certainly be implemented in a more sophisticated way, but it would need to be there even if we didn't have superpowers in the game. A stealth game that simulates the real world is at a major disadvantage if it can't simulate the very sophisticated senses of ordinary people. I can track your rough position two rooms away by the sounds you make, and more accurately that that if you're in the next room talking to a colleague. I can tell if you're facing towards the wall I'm looking at or away from it by the frequency range of your speech. I can tell your direction of movement from the sequence of your footsteps. If I was hidden and you walked past my spot, I could pick you up by your breathing, the near-silent way your clothes displace the air. You cannot represent this well with stereo or even surround sound, so it needs to be translated to a different sense. Sure, it could be a lot better - it could only light up the target at the exact moments they make a sound, and only sharpen if they speak - but it's not an unnecessary mechanic.

I was referring to Arno having X-Ray Eyes not criticizing Eagle vision altogether. I didn't like the over-powered eagle vision in Black Flag simply because it destroys the screen with these tagged enemies floating on the scenery (I generally avoid tagging enemies if I can). It still worked, sort-of there because Black Flag was a wide-open world with an empty landscape. But in UNITY's Paris, that is even worse.

yankeegamergirl
06-04-2015, 07:07 PM
I have a soft spot for Assassins Creed; the first game that is. After all it was the reason why I have kept the franchise in my life all these years now. I will never forget how I felt as a grown up gamer (in my twenties at that time) when I saw the commercial for the game for the first time here in the UK. I thought to myself ''this game looks stunning and it's in a period that I (as a baby historian) find intriguing and personally have never experienced in the video game medium, I must have this!'' Even now when I sometimes put the game in my ps3 to play particular sequences that I enjoyed I find it very beautiful. So I will always keep a special place in my heart for ACI, however my favorite game is Assassins Creed II.

Sometimes when a work of art has a profound effect on you there may not be an easy explanation as to why. I can only say that although I certainly am capable of having strong opinions on gameplay, story etc. I certainly don't over analyse these aspects nor do I feel the need to justify why I like a particular game just because someone else has a complex and preferred a different one. Assassins Creed II for me was the perfect game at the right time in my gaming life. For me the open world was just as beautiful if not more than the first game, and coupled with the stunning and ingenius music of Jesper Kyd created a wonderful digital world of historical delight. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, the politics, conspiracy and emotional drama,and as a superficial side note Ezio was a fun character to escape in and visually appealing for me. I loved the 'First civilization' (despite not usually liking anything that seems remotely sci fi) storyline and enjoyed the parallel between the modern day and the ancestor which I felt was the right amount. For me though it was also probably the environment as a whole coupled with the side activities that really drew me into the game. At the time of playing the game I was doing a course (as part of my degree) on Leonardo da Vinci the polymath. Since my knowledge of the period was increasing around the time of playing the game that increased my enjoyment and player experience (I also liked the portrayal of da Vinci). Buying paintings from the market and recognizing them, the artist and sometimes the patron without reading the database helped submerge me further within the stunning environment (I also studied Renaissance Art). Refurbishing and reconstruting Monteriggioni was a nice touch that allowed us to see all these florins we were collecting working for us and benefitting the people around the main protagonist without being too much of a distraction. On top of all this they add puzzles! I love puzzles and enjoy mathmatical sequences so those fibonacci sequences coupled with conspiracy theory and the tortured voice of subject 16 were so up my alley. Moreover it was also challenging at the right levels for me. Since I'm a mature gamer (30s) I'm just not into the button smashing or combo remembering type of gameplay which hasn't appealed to me since I was a kid in the 90s. As an adult I enjoy story more and brain exercises (thus the reason why I liked the puzzles). These reasons are really just the tip of the iceberg but as I said above it was a game that came at a time when no other games, save GTA, were that entertaining for me. ACII is not just my favorite AC game but one of my favorite games (definitely of the 21st century) of all time and even went ahead of GTA Vice City which was my favorite up until I played ACII. I can't rank any of the other titles in a basic order as there are different things that I may not like in one game but it may have a redeeming factor in it in another way. An example being ACIII which was my least favorite game at the time that I played it, however when it comes to soundtracks it has one of the most beautiful in my opinion. I may not always like the direction that Ubisoft takes the games but there is always something within all of them that I can appreciate. I guess that's why I've stuck around even when I was personally disappointed. The idea of exploring history is very clever as there is so much that can be explored , and so many new stories to be told. I wish the franchise artistic growth and continued success and I hope to stay along for the ride. If not, the franchise has given me some fantastic gaming memories that will not be forgotten.

blazerpika
06-05-2015, 02:56 AM
My personal favorite AC game has to be AC Black Flag. It was such a good game and for me what helps it stand out compared to say AC 2 is the excellent story and some of my favorite ever supporting characters in any AC game ever. the game play editions were neat for eg the darts were welcome editions that helped make the stealth a bit more fun. Also Edward was such a strong character motivation wise and as many have said in the past his motivation for joining the assassins were way better than the previous protagonists. The naval combat was also very good and so for me AC Black Flag is a solid 9.5/10 with the only flaw being the modern day which in my opinion was good but the first person was just a horrible decision that happened

king-hailz
06-07-2015, 06:18 PM
My favorite is Assassins Creed 2. I believe that this is one of the greatest games ever made. The story was absolutely awesome for me and I love everything about it. Ezio is my favorite game character ever! Also the game play is great. It was much better than the first and I still think it was much better than the latest. On top of that I loved the soundtrack it literally brought the city to life! I can't fault this game. And after the 9th time playing I still can't fault it.

DeGrape83
08-07-2018, 08:36 AM
Shame i dont play syndicate and unity games but i play 2 times almost each on ps3 and ps4. For me its

01-Assassin creed origins (too much details, graphics, new combats system that i want that ubisoft improve more cause its littles restrictive in term of moves in combat but in experience its very good
02-Assassin creed Rogue (cause im from Quebec and born in sept-iles and its like Black flag)
03-Black Flag (pirates things and boats)
04-Assassin creed Brotherhood (online was good for this one and complete well the 2)
05-Assassin creed 2 very much better than the first one (mention to platform games China, Russia and dont remember the name, i can mention revelation too )