PDA

View Full Version : OLEG, possibility to use flight data, in full movement cockpit?

GAU_8
12-19-2003, 02:56 PM
im not a programmer, but i was was wondering, is it possible to gain access to the flight data to have correct input on a motion based simulator? for FB

example.. motion without flight data, you pull up, and climb....eventually you will stall, and this is shown on screen, but the actual workings of machine in real life will stay, and keep vertical, until another action is applied.

with data input to motion device, the RL cockpit will stall as well. mimicing exactly whats on screen, not what is input, until the uncontrollable action is over. (like stall or spin)

i dont know off hand if everyone has access to it in the game...or do i have to have permission to access something?

im assuming its available to a point or 3rd party modelers aircraft would have to pick a plane that has close FM to what they were designing.

thank you.

GAU_8
12-19-2003, 02:56 PM
im not a programmer, but i was was wondering, is it possible to gain access to the flight data to have correct input on a motion based simulator? for FB

example.. motion without flight data, you pull up, and climb....eventually you will stall, and this is shown on screen, but the actual workings of machine in real life will stay, and keep vertical, until another action is applied.

with data input to motion device, the RL cockpit will stall as well. mimicing exactly whats on screen, not what is input, until the uncontrollable action is over. (like stall or spin)

i dont know off hand if everyone has access to it in the game...or do i have to have permission to access something?

im assuming its available to a point or 3rd party modelers aircraft would have to pick a plane that has close FM to what they were designing.

thank you.

VW-IceFire
12-19-2003, 05:08 PM
Just a note on the third party aircraft. Those I'm pretty sure are done and then handed in to Oleg who actually does the FM programming so the only things really in the public domain is the naming system and requirements for addition into the game.

- IceFire
http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig.jpg

GAU_8
12-19-2003, 07:22 PM
thanks icefire.

next question is, if thats the situation, Oleg, is it possible to get this data? not right now, but in the future, could certain businesses get the FM data to use with a full motion sim?

J_A_M_F_
12-21-2003, 06:07 PM
These are things I personally would love to see, for anyone who has only the glimmer of a hope to one day own a motion cockpit:

*- Output of the G-force data as exerted on the pilot in X,Y,Z. This would allow the maker of the full motion hardware/software to tune his movement to the visuals.

*- Output of the data needed to produce readouts in the real cockpit. From altitude to slip indicator.

*- Maybe it would be possible to have BoB drive secondary PC's to display the left and right view. This would enable a future with 3 projectors/beamers, as the prices are dropping.

Thank you for your time.

GAU_8
12-21-2003, 08:41 PM
thats why im askin http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ive been working on that "glimmer" for a few years now.

WhtBoy
12-21-2003, 08:58 PM
I've also thought about real instrumentation. You can already get panel controls from flightsimcentral http://www.flightsimcentral.com/gfaccocconsy.html but I don't believe there are any instruments available. It wouldn't take much, just a USB signal for each instrument fed into a single board Linux machine driving a multi-channel D-A card. Each instrument is nothing more than a voltmeter or ammeter. Make the faces changeable and you can share instruments between eras. Duplicating every instrument exactly for every aircraft wouldn't be reasonable (for example, dual needle tachometers versus single needle) but it would be much better than the stupid speedbar we have to rely on now.

If you want to avoid the hardware complications, my wholesale parts supplier just got several 21" touch screen monitors that are going for $400 each. Even the most basic game video cards are dual head now so you could do the entire instrument panel off the secondary monitor complete with touch controls. The downside is the extra load on the CPU and video card.

I'll shut-up now.

-WhtBoy.

FritzFrotz
12-26-2003, 07:39 AM
WhtBoy, real instrumentation is already available and implementing the necessary features to use them in FB shouldnâ´t be too difficult.

Try www.simkits.com (http://www.simkits.com)

BaldieJr
12-30-2003, 06:52 AM
I'm bumping this since I plan to start the construction of a motion sim soon. I'd like to be able to use FB in 'active' mode to drive the servos, rather than use passive mode.

You have to give microsoft credit: they make this stuff easy.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
______ _____
(, / ) /) /) , (, /
/---( _ // _(/ _ / __ ,""""]
+----/ ____)(_(_(/_(_(__(__(/____/__/ (__--------,' /---+
| (_/ ( / ,' NR / |
| ..-""``"'-._ (__/ __,' 42 _/ |
+-.-"" "-..,____________/7,.--"" __]-----+

</pre>

J_A_M_F_
01-05-2004, 09:19 AM
A bump, for this game's future and for BoB.

J_A_M_F_
01-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Well, the New Year party effects must have worn off, so a little bump for a possible answer.

Vegas771
01-23-2004, 08:34 AM
Bump away! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

tagert
01-23-2004, 10:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J_A_M_F_:
These are things I personally would love to see, for anyone who has only the glimmer of a hope to one day own a motion cockpit:

*- Output of the G-force data as exerted on the pilot in X,Y,Z. This would allow the maker of the full motion hardware/software to tune his movement to the visuals.

*- Output of the data needed to produce readouts in the real cockpit. From altitude to slip indicator.

*- Maybe it would be possible to have BoB drive secondary PC's to display the left and right view. This would enable a future with 3 projectors/beamers, as the prices are dropping.

Thank you for your time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually alot if not most of that data is allready being sent out over the internest when you join in an online game.. Granted it is not the G-force X,Y,Z but the positional X,Y,Z and you could calculate the G-force from that data... and in doing so you would calculate the Velocitys X,Y,Z to drive your guages... side slip.. that might be harder... I think you would need the AOA value too... but they must be sending that along in the data for the distance PC to display your aircraft correctly.

So, all we would need is a way to SNIFF the net trafic and pull off that data to drive our full motion cockpit

TAGERT

KeoghX
02-11-2004, 10:13 AM
Bump!

I'm in the research stages of putting together a pit myself and I'd love to be able to get some data for running an insturment panel at the very least. Some of the other suggestions would be nice to have as well, the idea of having a full motion pit with a three-projector screen for visuals makes me want to refinance something and buy a bunch of high end AV gear. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Aaron_GT
02-11-2004, 03:02 PM
In PC Pilot from six months ago there was
someone who had created a motion simlator
that worked with just about any sim by
tracking the visual output, not internals
from the sims.

If I remember, and can remember where on
earth my copies of PC Pilot are (filing
system needs an overhaul) I'll dig it out
and see if there are any useful links.
Alternatively PC Pilot might have a web
site with links, perhaps.

KeoghX
02-13-2004, 03:06 PM
While motion would be sublime, it's just not practical for a lot of pit builders. What I really want to see is a way to output insturment data from the sim. A high fidelity pit with fully functioning insturment panels and a well implemented force feedback system would be the ultimate setup for me. If there were any possiblity of using a rig like that with FB I'd be in imersion heaven. Combine that with the ability to use multiple monitors/projectors and FB would instantly become the ultimate sim!

There has to be more interest in this tpe of thing than is being represented in this thread. Speak up guys or we'll not likely see any of these ideas implemented. I'd love to hear what Oleg thinks of all this... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BaldieJr
02-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Just some info for those interested...

3 monitors are doable. You need 3 video cards (nvidia) or one matrox (poor performance though).

Motion would be doable for a lot less than most think, it just requires a balanced cockpit (search google for 'joyrider') and some industrial servos (or home-built servos for much cheaper).

If Oleg provided the data stream, the rest would just fall into place http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oh yeah: the data used to drive instruments could also be used to drive a motion platform. Its the same thing really.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
______ _____
(, / ) /) /) , (, /
/---( _ // _(/ _ / __ ,""""]
+----/ ____)(_(_(/_(_(__(__(/____/__/ (__--------,' /---+
| / ( / ,' NR / |
|(_/ ..-""``"'-._ (_/ __,' 42 _/ |
+-.-"" "-..,____________/7,.--"" __]-----+

</pre>