PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed stealth is dead

CourtlyShelf2
05-22-2015, 10:00 PM
Assassins creed as far as a stealth game well its dead they have taken more and more of a action route when it comes to the stealth part of the game man its just dead do you think assassins creed can be more of a stealth game next time around??? i mean i wanna get in and get out avoid all the guards kill my target and then leave ya know like a assassin would i.e agent 47 you can complete the games without alerting anyone which i loved but assassins creed stealth system is broken do you think in future titles they well favor stealth ?????

Shahkulu101
05-22-2015, 10:03 PM
They favoured stealth in Unity and everybody complained about it so at this point you can't really blame Ubisoft.

Sadly most fans don't want the mechanics to be respectable.

D.I.D.
05-22-2015, 10:22 PM
It obviously is more of a stealth game already. You can see in Syndicate's videos that the stealth is no longer chained to that bafflingly poor halfway system we had in Unity (although, despite that, Unity was a better stealth game than any other in the series).

The real question is, do you want better AI to make the stealth work? Lots of people claim they do, but I suspect they'd actually hate it if the enemies had great senses and behaved like real people. Are they prepared to work harder for a win, to fail repeatedly and learn from their mistakes? The best stealth games tend to be extremely compact rather than open like an AC world, chaining quite tight corridor systems between carefully dressed areas of broader scope. AC increasingly has to work with the world that actually existed.

EmptyCrustacean
05-22-2015, 10:48 PM
They favoured stealth in Unity and everybody complained about it so at this point you can't really blame Ubisoft.

Oh, gosh this again. You always say this and as per usual posters counter with the same cold hard truth.
Say it with me: everybody complained about it because the stealth was bad. Baaaad. The. Stealth. Was. Baaaaad.

- Cover system sloppy.
- Crouch button inconsistent.
- Guards pushed up together llike sardine.

Do not equate "more" with "good". The. Stealth. Was. Bad.

Shahkulu101
05-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Oh, gosh this again. You always say this and as per usual posters counter with the same cold hard truth.
Say it with me: everybody complained about it because the stealth was bad. Baaaad. The. Stealth. Was. Baaaaad.

- Cover system sloppy.

I've said time and time again the stealth was bad. I just think it was far better than we had in previous games and that's what people were harking back too.

The overwhelming message from the Unity's feedback was "do it like it was done before". And then Rogue was actually received well despite the fact it changed nothing. It's clear people don't want the series to progress.

And I agree with D.I.D, they make the stealth work properly and people won't like it.

rafiqul84
05-22-2015, 11:48 PM
Not many people out there appreciate stealth in AC, it's one of the reasons the multiplayer was removed, it's not accessible to a general population of gamers who enjoy COD and GTA more than splinter cell or Hitman.

I know, it sucks, but that's just how the market is geared.

EmptyCrustacean
05-23-2015, 01:03 AM
I've said time and time again the stealth was bad. I just think it was far better than we had in previous games and that's what people were harking back too.

The overwhelming message from the Unity's feedback was "do it like it was done before". And then Rogue was actually received well despite the fact it changed nothing. It's clear people don't want the series to progress.

And I agree with D.I.D, they make the stealth work properly and people won't like it.

I think you're viewing the reaction to stealth too simplistically.

Ask yourself, had the stealth been polished in Unity do you think people would have complained? After all, there are other Ubi games with a cover system - do they get complaints like Unity's cover system? When something is done badly and its also new, as humans, our first instincts are to diagnose the problem as being down to the change itself when in fact there are contributing factors.

"Do it like it was done before" says it all - people break it down into simplistic terms because when something is working it makes no sense to change it unless you can offer a better alternative. It is hard for people to see the potential in good ideas when they're executed poorly which is why they say "just go back to what we know works". Presentation is key.

You prefer Unity's stealth to previous game despite its technical hiccups, fine. But you fail to accept that for others it rendered stealth completely broken. I absolutely LOVED the first few hours of the game. I hadn't that feeling of feeling vulnerable walking down a street in an AC game since AC1. The feeling that I needed to be careful at all times made it fresh and exciting and I liked being encouraged to use the rooftops again. But as you progress through the story the technical side fails to live up to the game's increasing demands and it becomes frustrating and unforgiveable.

Hans684
05-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Social stealth is dead, it's so rear in the series(after AC1). We only get small moments with the with it but it's not given enough focus to evolve, it has new elements but it's not as improved as it could be. We have been getting a historical Splinter Cell were we hide and strike from the shadows instead of being seen but unseen.

VestigialLlama4
05-23-2015, 11:52 AM
First of all, one thing people need to understand is that right from AC1 onwards, the series has never been, nor was it intended to be, a conventional stealth game.

Assassins are not Hitmen, nor are they Special Operatives like Splinter Cell. An Assassin is not about sneaking in a secret base and killing someone in the dead of night and avoiding shadows. An Assassin is walking straight upto someone in broad daylight, in full public view and striking him down. The bodies are never disposed, they are always meant to be found and send a message. Assassins are quasi-revolutionaries, they are not hired thugs or hitmen. By necessity the gameplay has to reflect that. Since most of it is done in public, you had social stealth and open world. Freedom of climbing, interacting and moving among architecture. Being part of crowds and so on.

I will fully agree that AC has never fully explored the potential of social stealth mechanics in AC1 and that it doesn't yet achieve what should be its main aim, create a game where its possible to ghost through the open world (i.e. main missions, side-missions, free-roam) on a single playthrough.

Where I disagree is asking AC to be like other stealth games, introduce a crouch button where its not needed and being illogical in its approach to combat. I disagree with the mission design of UNITY where you assassinate people in rooms and interiors nearly all the time. I don't think borrowing stealth mechanics from other games, watering down all the good stuff in the franchise should be praised or condoned in any sense simply because its a nice HD imitation of Hitman or Deux-Ex in period.

Sushiglutton
05-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Since Ubi still can't get basic features, like detection and player movement, up to a reaonable standard, it feels kind of pointless to discuss stealth in AC.

Megas_Doux
05-23-2015, 03:35 PM
Since Ubi still can't get basic features, like detection and player movement, up to a reaonable standard, it feels kind of pointless to discuss stealth in AC.

Oddly enough, it works in Splinter Cell......

The best stealth games tend to be extremely compact rather than open like an AC world, chaining quite tight corridor systems between carefully dressed areas of broader scope. AC increasingly has to work with the world that actually existed.

The new upcoming metal Gear seems to be an exception. The difference??? They don´t have to release games annually....

- Cover system sloppy.

And that was miles better than any other games in the franchise, mostly that of Warrior Creed 3..........

My two cents here: the majority of AC fans probably DO NOT want better stealth or harder combat, they are lazy and bad, Ubi is aware of that. They want to play an invincible demigod being able to effortlessly kill 859348590380 guards since the beginning of game regardless of anyone´s rank.

Sushiglutton
05-23-2015, 03:44 PM
Oddly enough, it works in Splinter Cell......

Yeah true, shouldn't have said "Ubi". Think stealth is fine in FarCry 3 too. It's just AC....

My two cents here: the majority of AC fans probably DO NOT want better stealth or harder combat, they are lazy and bad and Ubi is aware of that. They want to play an invincible demigod being able to effortlessly kill 859348590380 guards since the beginning of game regardless of anyone´s rank.

I think everyone wants consistent and reasnoable detection and the ability to move smoothly around the enviroment. That's not a hard/easy thing. It's a quality thing.

Shahkulu101
05-23-2015, 03:45 PM

Sad truth.

And the frustrating thing is these are up to a reasonable standard in their other franchises. More than that in fact, stealth in FC and SC is pretty damn good.

So I'm really quite perplexed at the fact stealth has been bad throughout the entire series. I mean I know the stealth systems differ between the games, e.g Far Cry is based on ranged weapons, Splinter Cell on light/dark systems, but like you said they can't even get the basics right in AC. It's quite shocking really, especially after what 8 games (yeah I've lost count)...

Megas_Doux
05-23-2015, 03:49 PM
And as bad as it has been, I liked Unity on that regard :nonchalance:

AC in general has SO much potential, but time is needed.....

Sushiglutton
05-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Sad truth.

And the frustrating thing is these are up to a reasonable standard in their other franchises. More than that in fact, stealth in FC and SC is pretty damn good.

So I'm really quite perplexed at the fact stealth has been bad throughout the entire series. I mean I know the stealth systems differ between the games, e.g Far Cry is based on ranged weapons, Splinter Cell on light/dark systems, but like you said they can't even get the basics right in AC. It's quite shocking really, especially after what 8 games (yeah I've lost count)...

Yeah it's just massively frustrating!

And as bad as it has been, I liked Unity on that regard :nonchalance:

AC in general has SO much potential, but time is needed.....

I never played Unity, but watched a bunch of vids and the usual AC stuff is there unfortunately. That said it's also improved in many ways.

Agree 100% about potential, that's why it's frustrating. If it was just bad, then noone would care ofc.

dxsxhxcx
05-23-2015, 04:52 PM

and it hurts even more when you remember things like this:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/19/ubisoft-would-delay-an-assassins-creed-if-its-not-good-enough

Matt.mc
05-23-2015, 05:26 PM
It's so annoying how they still are using the same stealth/detection mechanics from the first game. Sure it's been touched on but it needs to go ASAP! Hell just do one of your famous Ubisoft copt/paste and use the blacklist detection system!

Civona
05-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Think about what an assassination is actually like in real life. Perpetrators employ as much stealth as is necessary to position themselves to strike. They often strike loudly, in public areas. They often fail their first attempt and have to adjust their strategy. They often get caught, and if they don't their escapes are usually very narrow.

Assassin's Creed is not a stealth game, it is a game about being an Assassin. You are rarely unseen, you're usually just not seen as a threat. Now, yes, you are playing as an extraordinarily gifted assassin, and yes, sometimes in scenarios where it would be possible to kill a person without anyone else noticing. (the notre dame assassination in Unity, for example) But even then, you are still subject to the razor's edge of killing important people who are heavily guarded: it will most likely end with you being chased.

I want the player not to think "How can I kill the target silently" but instead "how can I silently get in position to kill the target, and how the heck am I going to get out of here if this goes wrong?". We need enemies that are worthy of fear, who can chase us effectively, who are intelligent enough that the player can't pick them off one by one, can't evade them forever, and force them to act despite knowing that their cover will be blown.

Remember the first main AC1 trailer? Altair is hiding in the crowd until he gets close to his target. Then he is seen. He has to kill two guards. collateral damage. Then he barely manages to get to his target before they draw their sword, and he barely manages to escape before security properly mobilizes and attacks.

That is what Assassin's Creed is: a game about barely managing to do stuff without being killed. It's never executed on that perfectly, but it's gotten closer and closer, sometimes improving in some ways and stepping back in others. It's an extremely complicated thing to make a game about, and possibly the hardest thing to make into a yearly series. But in the world we live in, a yearly series is probably the only way this kind of game will keep getting made at this scale.

VestigialLlama4
05-23-2015, 06:24 PM
Think about what an assassination is actually like in real life. Perpetrators employ as much stealth as is necessary to position themselves to strike. They often strike loudly, in public areas. They often fail their first attempt and have to adjust their strategy. They often get caught, and if they don't their escapes are usually very narrow.

Well that's not entirely fair because most of the well known Assassinations are the ones known to public. The successful ones involving poison never get noticed.

Assassin's Creed is not a stealth game, it is a game about being an Assassin. You are rarely unseen, you're usually just not seen as a threat. Now, yes, you are playing as an extraordinarily gifted assassin, and yes, sometimes in scenarios where it would be possible to kill a person without anyone else noticing. (the notre dame assassination in Unity, for example) But even then, you are still subject to the razor's edge of killing important people who are heavily guarded: it will most likely end with you being chased.

I want the player not to think "How can I kill the target silently" but instead "how can I silently get in position to kill the target, and how the heck am I going to get out of here if this goes wrong?". We need enemies that are worthy of fear, who can chase us effectively, who are intelligent enough that the player can't pick them off one by one, can't evade them forever, and force them to act despite knowing that their cover will be blown.

Exactly, AC is about the powerless fighting the powerful and heavily guarded and protected. Other stealth games like Splinter Cell or Hitman are about one powerful organization striking another. That's why UNITY doesn't work at all because its only acceptable as a stealth game if you compare it to other titles.

That is what Assassin's Creed is: a game about barely managing to do stuff without being killed. It's never executed on that perfectly, but it's gotten closer and closer, sometimes improving in some ways and stepping back in others.

Its always been a game that hangs by a thin line and they are games that have a messy quality. Like in AC1, after you attack the target, you have those awesome chase missions and running through the bazaar and finding a place to hide. It's insane and wild. Not satisfying by conventional standards but on its own terms definitely.

It's an extremely complicated thing to make a game about, and possibly the hardest thing to make into a yearly series. But in the world we live in, a yearly series is probably the only way this kind of game will keep getting made at this scale.

Well, I have always said that annualization is one aspect of the entire series and its not the albatross to hang on the franchise's neck as everyone makes it. In-and-of-itself its not a problem, its solely a matter of how the publishers and specific teams handle it. Black Flag had innovative stealth mechanics and several open-world stealth and UNITY essentially stole most of its concepts and ideas from there (being that its a gutless game that deserves not a single iota of credit). Black Flag was the annualized title while UNITY was made for four years and yet its the far weaker and less innovative game.

Shahkulu101
05-23-2015, 06:28 PM
I don't want it to be historical MGS either.

I'm asking for baseline standards for the AI, mission design and player options.

Although I will say that I don't think it's a bad thing we have crouch and interior missions, since as an Assassin we're bound to have to sneak into buildings and use environmental stealth. As long as social stealth is the heart of the game then having some conventional stealth is okay.

AssassinHMS
05-23-2015, 06:58 PM

I don’t think AC deserves anyone's frustration.

The series will likely NEVER have good stealth. The main mechanic isn’t “stealth”, “combat” or “navigation”, it’s “pleasing the average gamer”. In other words, AC isn’t about gaming, it’s about pleasing the market.
AC has had countless chances to provide better than average gameplay and it certainly doesn’t lack potential. To this point, after SO many games, the series still has piss poor mechanics.

Looking at AC expecting solid gameplay, is like searching for the most mainstream pop songs out there in hopes of finding substantial, raw music that doesn’t sound like it was made exclusively to sell to the masses.

ShadowStar83x
05-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Admittedly, I haven't played many AC titles (going to fix that over the summer), but I found it too annoying to be stealthy in most. Unless the mission required it, I just found it easier to run in guns blazing. I found AC4 to be the stealthiest title of the ones I played so far. The blow dart mechanic helps a lot with that. Of course, I ditch the stealth on the high seas. :) I wonder how Syndicate will handle it.

VestigialLlama4
05-23-2015, 07:36 PM
The series will likely NEVER have good stealth.

And how is good stealth defined? Because AC has never been MGS, sneaking under cardboard boxes and so on. I mean there aren't any set-in-stone laws and the first AC deliberately did away with conventional stealth, like crouching, light-shadow and claustrophobic settings. Most of it takes place in broad daylight and crouching looks very stupid and noticable (in fact its more useful in combat where ducking and running can make you a smaller target to shoot at) and also slows movements, whereas Assassins are meant to be hit-and-run. Most of it is also exteriors and among crowds so its not claustrophobic anymore.

The main mechanic isn’t “stealth”, “combat” or “navigation”, it’s “pleasing the average gamer”. In other words, AC isn’t about gaming, it’s about pleasing the market.

Which game isn't about pleasing the market? Games are extremely expensive products after all, especially the big AAA products. You cannot convince me that Splinter Cell, Far Cry or MGS are less commercial than AC.

I don't want it to be historical MGS either.

I'm asking for baseline standards for the AI, mission design and player options.

I agree with and I think, it goes without saying. And UNITY is wretched in terms of mission design and player options compared to earlier titles.

Although I will say that I don't think it's a bad thing we have crouch and interior missions, since as an Assassin we're bound to have to sneak into buildings and use environmental stealth. As long as social stealth is the heart of the game then having some conventional stealth is okay.

Well in UNITY, the crowds don't matter, most of the assassinations are interiors and a lot of the activities involves sneaking and ducking around rooms and private residences. That's why its medieval Hitman as far as I am concerned.

Hans684
05-23-2015, 09:28 PM
We need enemies that are worthy of fear, who can chase us effectively, who are intelligent enough that the player can't pick them off one by one, can't evade them forever, and force them to act despite knowing that their cover will be blown.

Assassin Hunters, a Templar as skilled as Assassins. Sounds like a good idea.

Sorrosyss
05-23-2015, 09:32 PM
I've replayed a lot of the games recently, and Unity's stealth is terrible in my opinion. At least in Black Flag for example, you had bushes to move by, the whistle option, blending worked properly etc. In Unity, you get about half a second to move back out of sight before detection. Nine times out of ten I don't make it back out of sight and have 5 guards chasing me down. I find it frustrating to try and stealth in Unity in any fashion frankly.

Namikaze_17
05-23-2015, 09:45 PM

"Grandmaster, what are you planning to do?"

"Get the Hunters. The Assassin must not get to us! They'll ensure that..."

"Right away sir."

Deezl-V
05-23-2015, 10:21 PM
You want stealth, go play hitman or splinter cell. Assassins creed isn't and never was and never should be about stealth. It's should be about options. I like stealth too, but I don't like being forced to play that way.

In black flag, I played the majority of the game as stealthy as possible. Here is a vid to show how I did things. It's not the game that makes you play stealth, it's YOU that wants to. I just also like the ability to fight.

Stealth: up to me and you, not the game.

http://youtu.be/ukRJKlRV9Fo

Shahkulu101
05-23-2015, 10:37 PM
You want stealth, go play hitman or splinter cell. Assassins creed isn't and never was and never should be about stealth. It's should be about options. I like stealth too, but I don't like being forced to play that way.

In black flag, I played the majority of the game as stealthy as possible. Here is a vid to show how I did things. It's not the game that makes you play stealth, it's YOU that wants to. I just also like the ability to fight.

Stealth: up to me and you, not the game.

http://youtu.be/ukRJKlRV9Fo

You weren't forced to play stealthy in Unity, combat was just challenging. As it should be, otherwise stealth has no reason to exist.

You've still got the option of guns blazing, but obviously it's harder because being a one-man-army should be harder than killing unseen. It's also in the Creed, Assassin's are supposed to be covert and subtle. Therefore, the game encouraging stealth (not forcing - plus combat in Unity is still easy) is totally logical.

A lot of the purists are angry when our protagonist doesn't have a lip scar, has a non-beaked hood and does things other than work for the Brotherhood. But they don't want our protagonists to actually behave like Assassin's. Which is quite frankly hypocritical.

AssassinHMS
05-24-2015, 12:03 AM
And how is good stealth defined? Because AC has never been MGS, sneaking under cardboard boxes and so on. I mean there aren't any set-in-stone laws and the first AC deliberately did away with conventional stealth, like crouching, light-shadow and claustrophobic settings. Most of it takes place in broad daylight and crouching looks very stupid and noticable (in fact its more useful in combat where ducking and running can make you a smaller target to shoot at) and also slows movements, whereas Assassins are meant to be hit-and-run. Most of it is also exteriors and among crowds so its not claustrophobic anymore.

I won’t go into detail but, to put it bluntly, good stealth is realistic stealth. Obviously there are other parameters to take into account (make sure the stealth mechanics are simple enough for the player to understand and are somewhat forgiving/flexible so that the player isn’t penalized for minor details and always feels the game is fair; they need to be well implemented, etc.) but, generally speaking, the more realistic stealth is, the better.
Now, “good stealth” is one thing, “stealth genre” is another thing entirely. A game like Assassin’s Creed doesn’t need to have light based stealth or a crouch button in order for stealth to be considered “good”. The game only needs to have the type of stealth that the missions require. If they say the Assassins are all about blending with the crowds and, IF the situations the game presents don’t ask for anything else, then social stealth is enough (whether it’s actually good is another matter).

With this out of the way, there is pretty much no denying Assassin’s Creed has BAD stealth all around and that was my point in my previous post.

Which game isn't about pleasing the market? Games are extremely expensive products after all, especially the big AAA products. You cannot convince me that Splinter Cell, Far Cry or MGS are less commercial than AC.

You say you cannot be convinced so obviously I won’t bother trying. However, I will say this:
No matter how commercial every AAA game may be, the most commercial of them all is, by far, the one with the worst core gameplay. AC is as commercial as it gets, just look at the core's "evolution"/state throughout the 100+ titles.

X_xWolverinEx_X
05-24-2015, 06:00 AM
no its not

The_Kiwi_
05-24-2015, 07:06 AM

damm cazuls

Matt.mc
05-24-2015, 07:25 AM
I just want smarter AI. That will make the stealth better without it making it a stealth game.

Shahkulu101
05-24-2015, 02:22 PM
damm cazuls

I'm a casual gamer.

AC is below the threshold of casual. It's mentally challenged toddler difficulty.

Sushiglutton
05-24-2015, 02:24 PM
I don’t think AC deserves anyone's frustration.

The series will likely NEVER have good stealth. The main mechanic isn’t “stealth”, “combat” or “navigation”, it’s “pleasing the average gamer”. In other words, AC isn’t about gaming, it’s about pleasing the market.
AC has had countless chances to provide better than average gameplay and it certainly doesn’t lack potential. To this point, after SO many games, the series still has piss poor mechanics.

Looking at AC expecting solid gameplay, is like searching for the most mainstream pop songs out there in hopes of finding substantial, raw music that doesn’t sound like it was made exclusively to sell to the masses.

Depends on what you are after. If you are looking for complex stealth, then yeah it's very unlikely to happen. However I really don't think wanting the basics to work is unreasonable. Unfair/inconsistent detection hurts casuals perhaps even more than more experienced players. Combine that with a tougher combatsystem and it can lead to frustration.

Stealth imo needs to feel crisp, distinct, clear and so on. And a key component to get there is the AI, which just isn't up to snuff.

The_Kiwi_
05-24-2015, 02:58 PM
I'm a casual gamer.

AC is below the threshold of casual. It's mentally challenged toddler difficulty.

damm cazul todlas

:rolleyes:

TO_M
05-24-2015, 03:44 PM
I've replayed a lot of the games recently, and Unity's stealth is terrible in my opinion. At least in Black Flag for example, you had bushes to move by, the whistle option, blending worked properly etc. In Unity, you get about half a second to move back out of sight before detection. Nine times out of ten I don't make it back out of sight and have 5 guards chasing me down. I find it frustrating to try and stealth in Unity in any fashion frankly.

I didn't have that problem at all, what kind of gear are/were you wearing?. The stealth becomes easier/doable if you wear some gear with high stealth stats if I remember correct, specifically the ones that reduce noise and reduce time to blend.

I though Unity's stealth or at least the option of having a stealthy approach available was a good step n the right direction, but for some reason I feel as if Syndicate will not follow up on that.

Civona
05-25-2015, 07:33 PM

Nope. I'm not talking about rare enemies that are difficult to shake, I'm talking about regular enemies being alert enough and posing a serious enough threat that it is often impossible to complete our objectives without eventually being seen by them, and never possible to kill all the enemies that come running when there is an alert.

The tropes of "stealth" are harmful because they are about giving the player a relaxed, low-tension state and keeping them in it, punishing deviations. I want performing a kill to ALWAYS take you out of your comfort zone. Even if it is a quiet kill, I want there to be pushback from the world: people who check in on the target regularly and will raise the alarm if they are missing.

Currently everything is designed to be too clean: messiness is seen as more of a failure than death is. The messiness should be embraced, necessary to success. Again, looking back at that AC1 trailer: Altair caused chaos. He could not have killed his target with the tools at his disposal if he didn't do so. Being eternally unseen and never encountering resistance is a power fantasy not suited to a mortal human being trying to kill heavily guarded public figures in impressive ways using personally-operated weaponry.

Splinter Cell is about being unseen, Assassin's Creed is about blowing your cover at the right moment.