PDA

View Full Version : Some more bugs in 1.22

mortoma
02-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Hi,

1.) IL2T, 3 and 3M models show Red star insignia but no aircraft numbers. All other aircraft in the game show the aircraft numbers.

2.) All four versions of I-16 and I-153, plus the Lagg-3 S66 and Lagg-3 IT have a problem when AI fly them in formation. They "bob" up and down
or undulate, whatever you want to call it. When in formation with them, you have to actually push down on the stick and pull back accordingly to stay in a half-way decent formation with them. They also speed up and slow down slightly accordingly. The old Lagg-3 S4 doesn't do it despite it's newer counterparts doing it. No other planes have the problem, as I took a lot of time to fly all flyables in formation ( except B-1 ) to test them. Took me a whole day!!!!

3.) The default "markings on" insignia for the Mig-3U can't be viewed from very far away. Suddenly disappears at very close range. But all other planes you can see all the insignia and even numbers ( in most cases ) at 4 times the distance than you can with the 3U Mig. You have to be very close beside a 3U to see either the red star or number. This would not happen with a marked skin of course, only an ummarked skin that needs marking on. This could be only on my computer so if other people could check it out it would be great.

4.) Here's another one I think may be just my computer/graphics card, so it would be nice if other people checked it to see if it happens on their computers. I noticed when I look at either FW-D9 from the left rear quarter ( pilots 7:30 level position ) I see a huge hole in the side of the rear fuselage, like a window, and can see the wing on the other side. It only happens at a distance of about 10 to 20 meters out, never close up.

mortoma
02-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Hi,

1.) IL2T, 3 and 3M models show Red star insignia but no aircraft numbers. All other aircraft in the game show the aircraft numbers.

2.) All four versions of I-16 and I-153, plus the Lagg-3 S66 and Lagg-3 IT have a problem when AI fly them in formation. They "bob" up and down
or undulate, whatever you want to call it. When in formation with them, you have to actually push down on the stick and pull back accordingly to stay in a half-way decent formation with them. They also speed up and slow down slightly accordingly. The old Lagg-3 S4 doesn't do it despite it's newer counterparts doing it. No other planes have the problem, as I took a lot of time to fly all flyables in formation ( except B-1 ) to test them. Took me a whole day!!!!

3.) The default "markings on" insignia for the Mig-3U can't be viewed from very far away. Suddenly disappears at very close range. But all other planes you can see all the insignia and even numbers ( in most cases ) at 4 times the distance than you can with the 3U Mig. You have to be very close beside a 3U to see either the red star or number. This would not happen with a marked skin of course, only an ummarked skin that needs marking on. This could be only on my computer so if other people could check it out it would be great.

4.) Here's another one I think may be just my computer/graphics card, so it would be nice if other people checked it to see if it happens on their computers. I noticed when I look at either FW-D9 from the left rear quarter ( pilots 7:30 level position ) I see a huge hole in the side of the rear fuselage, like a window, and can see the wing on the other side. It only happens at a distance of about 10 to 20 meters out, never close up.

VW-IceFire
02-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Right,

1) Not sure...noticed that too...I assumed that may be a historical fact working its way in...or it could be a mistake. Not sure.

2) Haven't seen that but I will give it a try and see whats happening. Having seen some footage of aircraft information...a bit of bobbing within a formation isn't necessarily a bad thing.

3) The Mig's in general seem to have a short LOD change distance...even at high detail. So details suddenly pop into view. I've actually noticed that there are stars on the bottom of some Mig's at a slightly longer distance but that at close range they disappear. Its an older plane from the original IL-2 (most versions - not sure about the 3U) so that may explain it.

4) Yeah I noticed that too. I think Oleg or someone mentioned that it would be fixed at a later date. A minor graphical bug at worst.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig1.jpg
The New IL2 Database is Coming Soon!

mortoma
02-13-2004, 05:34 PM
As far as number 2, have you tried it yet??
I know what you mean as far as real planes
moving around in formation but this is very severe and rythmical. They seem to be gunning up thier throttles and lowering them back down. Changes the altitude of the formation up and down by about 50 meters, constantly, about every 4 seconds or so. Very irritating to fly with them. Really the AI in other planes fly too perfectly when in formation,
but I'd rather have that than this!!

clint-ruin
02-13-2004, 06:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mortoma:
moving around in formation but this is very severe and rythmical. They seem to be gunning up thier throttles and lowering them back down. Changes the altitude of the formation up and down by about 50 meters, constantly, about every 4 seconds or so. Very irritating to fly with them. Really the AI in other planes fly too perfectly when in formation,
but I'd rather have that than this!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some information on what altitude, speed and map the planes are set to would be useful for the formation flying bug. Can't say I've seen it happen. If planes are set to make too steep a climb, or to hold too high a speed with too much ammo/bomb/fuel load, they can do this. If it's happening in the campaigns then it might just be another fix for the mission generator rather than the game code.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/leninkoba.jpg

Wolf_Fangs1381
02-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Hello Guys,

Pretty interesting stuff. I think the bobbing up and down is a good thing. Its also realistic. If you seen aircraft flying in formation they will move up and down. Even bombers in formation moved up and down a bit. I would like to see if happen with all aircraft in formation. The thing I would like to see is the correction of erratic movement. Expecially when one aircraft gets to close to another. The same when your trying to land and an AI aircraft almost crashes into you. Its happen to me a few times and I'm sure its happened to you guys. But its the erratic movement of bombers that bothers me. Like when you fire apon them and they pull up hard or dive. But hopefully these things get corrected in the Ace Expansion Pack. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif =S=

Semper Fi!! Carry On!!
Squirral aka Wolf_Fangs

Download My Skins Here (http://www.il2skins.com/?planeidfilter=all&planefamilyfilter=all&screenshotfilter=allskins&countryidfilter=all&authoridfilter=Squirral&historicalidfilter=all&Submit=+++Apply+filters++&action=list&ts=1074322928)

mortoma
02-14-2004, 12:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clint-ruin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mortoma:
but I'd rather have that than this!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some information on what altitude, speed and map the planes are set to would be useful for the formation flying bug. Can't say I've seen it happen. If planes are set to make too steep a climb, or to hold too high a speed with too much ammo/bomb/fuel load, they can do this. If it's happening in the campaigns then it might just be another fix for the mission generator rather than the game code.

Well, for one thing, it seems to happen no matter what speed they are flying. But they usually fly a certain set speed when flying level in formation. It matters not what altitude or map. And you said you never noticed it, maybe because it only happens in the following planes:
I-153P
I-153M-62
I-16 Type 18
I-16 Type 24
Lagg-3 S-66
Lagg-3 IT

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mortoma
02-14-2004, 12:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squirral:
Hello Guys,

Pretty interesting stuff. I think the bobbing up and down is a good thing. Its also realistic. If you seen aircraft flying in formation they will move up and down. Even bombers in formation moved up and down a bit. I would like to see if happen with all aircraft in formation. The thing I would like to see is the correction of erratic movement. Expecially when one aircraft gets to close to another. The same when your trying to land and an AI aircraft almost crashes into you. Its happen to me a few times and I'm sure its happened to you guys. But its the erratic movement of bombers that bothers me. Like when you fire apon them and they pull up hard or dive. But hopefully these things get corrected in the Ace Expansion Pack. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif =S=
=================================================
Well this is not a good thing. For one thing it's far more "up and down" than would happen in real life. Also far too rythmical. As a RL pilot, I can say with authority that it's not realistic.. I have never moved up in down that much during flight, no matter what the conditions. Also, would a flight of 4 planes move up and down in perfect unison?? I think not. What is happening is that they ( the planes affected that is ) are gunning their engines and throttling back, which makes them rise and fall accordingly. You can hear the engine noise rise and fall as they vary throttle settings in rythm with each other. Now how realistic is that?? Not very!!!

Semper Fi!! Carry On!!
Squirral aka Wolf_Fangs

http://www.il2skins.com/?planeidfilter=all&planefamilyfilter=all&screenshotfilter=allskins&countryidfilter=all&authoridfilter=Squirral&historicalidfilter=all&Submit=+++Apply+filters++&action=list&ts=1074322928&lt;HR&gt;&lt;/BLOCKQUOTE&gt; (http://www.il2skins.com/?planeidfilter=all&planefamilyfilter=all&screenshotfilter=allskins&countryidfilter=all&authoridfilter=Squirral&historicalidfilter=all&Submit=+++Apply+filters++&action=list&ts=1074322928<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>)

clint-ruin
02-14-2004, 11:08 PM
Well, for one thing, it seems to happen no matter what speed they are flying. But they usually fly a certain set speed when flying level in formation. It matters not what altitude or map. And you said you never noticed it, maybe because it only happens in the following planes:
I-153P
I-153M-62
I-16 Type 18
I-16 Type 24
Lagg-3 S-66
Lagg-3 IT

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just tested the Laggs now, the most variation I can get out of it is ~2m over the space of a few minutes.

Are you positively sure that you're not asking the planes to do anything they're barfing at, or reading the AGL guage? Occasionally the autopilot will get its own idea about what it wants to do - speed variations of up to 20kmh and alt variations of up to 200m aren't completely uncommon, but when that happens, it's usually something consistent across the mission and can be adjusted for. They can also be picky about holding a certain speed at a certain alt, and take a while to adjust back to cruise speed/alt after a turn.

As always, it's so, so enjoyable to get so far through a thread without a single person posting a track of what they're talking about. Software development through a complicated game of charades is probably great fun for Oleg and co.

mortoma
02-14-2004, 11:57 PM
I'm not "asking" the planes to do anything. The campaign missions generate the way they generate, with no user intervention. Now that would be different in the case of building your own missions in FMB, but that is not the case. I rarely build my own missions by using FMB, but simply let Dgen generate missions for me like most offline players. When I fly Laggs no matter which map I'm in they go up and down a lot more than 2 meters. As far as posting tracks, I have no idea as to how to go about that. I have nowhere on the web that I can post files. I have no web page or anything like that. How would I make tracks available???

[This message was edited by mortoma on Sun February 15 2004 at 06:28 AM.]

mortoma
02-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Re-bump