PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed and VR

Sushiglutton
05-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Don't think this has been posted even though it's a couple of days old:

CEO Yves Guillemot:

"First, we believe a lot in virtual reality, because we see it’s really giving a chance for gamers to be immersed in worlds. We are developing a certain number of games that are going to take advantage of these new possibilities," Guillemot said. "What we are doing is working on the different brands we have to see how we can take advantage of these new possibilities, while making sure we also don’t suffer from what comes with it, which is the difficulty to play a long time with those sorts of games."

"We are very bullish about the potential [of VR]. We think it’s going to bring more players into the universe of Ubisoft video games, and we are going to come with our brands," he added. As for when those brands will begin to show up, he said a few games will be released in the first year—presumably the first year after the Oculus Rift and SteamVR launch to the public—and then "regular games coming following that."

(http://www.pcgamer.com/ubisoft-working-on-vr-versions-of-its-biggest-games/, bolded by yours truly).

Are you excited about exploring historical worlds in VR, because I sure am :D! I think worldbuilding is what AC does best. VR would highlight this aspect of the game, while perhaps emphasizing the mechanics slightly less. Just walking around in Notre Dame would be pretty cool in VR.

D.I.D.
05-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Could be great.

People talk a lot about the problems of first-person VR gaming for games that are currently 3rd person, but I think what's often overlooked is the possibility of keeping the player's view exactly where it is and simply enjoying the game in a three-dimensional form, still in 3rd-person.

Obviously the ability to wander in first-person would be nice as well, and to use it for an AC leap-of-faith. Maybe AC wasn't one of the brands he was thinking of.

I guess the consoles are going to need to be networked with some kind of companion box for all the extra processing needed for 1440p+ resolutions and 90Hz refresh rates. I know Sony's got Morpheus, but that thing is very limited by the PS4.

THE_JOKE_KING33
05-20-2015, 03:50 PM
I really hope this technology takes off immensely. Definitely wouldn't mind playing all my games in VR.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-20-2015, 04:11 PM
I would love AC to come into the VR world.

If it works, we all can be really immersed in the open world they're good at making for the games :)

Shahkulu101
05-20-2015, 04:30 PM
We don't know about AC because it's the 3rd person but what's for sure is that Far Cry will have VR integration given that's it's an FPS and thus a natural fit. The thought of that has me drooling...

VestigialLlama4
05-20-2015, 05:38 PM
Sounds like they are chasing another gimmick to make their brand "relevant". They did the same with the whole "social" and Co-Op stuff.

Sushiglutton
05-20-2015, 06:09 PM
We don't know about AC because it's the 3rd person but what's for sure is that Far Cry will have VR integration given that's it's an FPS and thus a natural fit. The thought of that has me drooling...

I think that the historical worlds have a greater mass appeal than the worlds in FarCry for VR. I'm not really expecting a full game in the next few years because of the high hardware requirements. I think it will be more like "explore this part of the city in VR", or like "take a tour in Villa Auditore" and stuff like that.

Sounds like they are chasing another gimmick to make their brand "relevant". They did the same with the whole "social" and Co-Op stuff.

Not a fan of the term "gimmick" tbh. VR is very cool tech imo and I think it will have a major impact in a not so distant future.

ze_topazio
05-20-2015, 06:34 PM
Maybe not a normal game but a historical tourism tour software, allowing us to explore in first person VR all the cities they have created so far would be nice.

VestigialLlama4
05-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Maybe not a normal game but a historical tourism tour software, allowing us to explore in first person VR all the cities they have created so far would be nice.

How exactly? I have tried VR and generally I have not been impressed. I mean as a novelty yes but its not really all that immersive at the end of the day. Eyes are not ears, putting earphones in our ears makes music work but I don't think eyes work the same way by bringing screens straight to the eyes.

ze_topazio
05-20-2015, 07:19 PM
I've never tried such technologies so I don't know.

Ureh
05-21-2015, 06:23 AM
Yea I'd like to see what they got in the works. If these things encourage me to stand up and move around a little bit more then I think the price tag for a vr headset would actually be a nice investment too.

D.I.D.
05-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Yea I'd like to see what they got in the works. If these things encourage me to stand up and move around a little bit more then I think the price tag for a vr headset would actually be a nice investment too.

The inventive/thrifty gamer already plays while riding an exercise bike.

BananaBlighter
05-21-2015, 05:20 PM
How exactly? I have tried VR and generally I have not been impressed. I mean as a novelty yes but its not really all that immersive at the end of the day. Eyes are not ears, putting earphones in our ears makes music work but I don't think eyes work the same way by bringing screens straight to the eyes.

Well I've never tried VR but I know shoving a screen in front of your face doesn't make it seem real. I guess you would have to project individually in to each eye to correct perspective, and then of course you need to adjust each projection based on where they focus their eyes. I guess it has to be 3D, has to fill up all of your vision, and must be blurry where you're not focusing (you know what I mean). If you can give the illusion that your looking really far away then that's pretty realistic. I don't know if any of this is very good for your eyes though.