PDA

View Full Version : Dead King annoys me by making Arno almost interesting

Charles_Phipps
05-19-2015, 08:12 AM
I just finished Dead Kings.

It's really not that much to speak of, being little more than an extended treasure hunt. I've always found it kind of amusing that the Assassins of Ubisoft have probably raided more tombs collectively than Lara Croft at this point. I also found the premise rather questionable since while I'm sure Pimp Gangster Marquis De Sade could find Arno Dorian a way to get out of the country, I'm also quite sure that Arno could just buy a ticket too. I wasn't aware he was wanted for anything and, oh right, he's an Assassin.

Or was.

The thing is that I actually like cynical angry Arno Dorian. The guy who absolutely despises the Revolution, idealism, and naivity. My God, Arno actually EMOTED other than, "Smug Charming *******." While I normally hate children in video games with a passion, I even liked Leon's role as providing Arno someone to yell at.

Angry Cynic Arno could actually carry a game, I think, and would be someone I'd like to see again.

Sadly, just when he's getting some character development, that's the end of the story.

guest-5oAghHvD
05-19-2015, 01:31 PM
I just finished Dead Kings.

Always nice to finish free stuff.

II also found the premise rather questionable since while I'm sure Pimp Gangster Marquis De Sade could find Arno Dorian a way to get out of the country, I'm also quite sure that Arno could just buy a ticket too. I wasn't aware he was wanted for anything and, oh right, he's an Assassin.

Well travel and safe passage during the 1790s was hard, because the English had put a blockade on the French coast. They also burnt the French navy at Toulon (after the Army, with Napoleon making his historical debut, got rid of them, they burnt the harbor) and occupied Corsica to Malta, it would be a while for the French to recover those losses and a lot of effort was focused on the smaller coast cities like La Rochelle so that they could import food and grain from Haiti and America.

The thing is that I actually like cynical angry Arno Dorian. The guy who absolutely despises the Revolution, idealism, and naivity. My God, Arno actually EMOTED other than, "Smug Charming *******." While I normally hate children in video games with a passion, I even liked Leon's role as providing Arno someone to yell at.

Angry Cynic Arno could actually carry a game, I think, and would be someone I'd like to see again.

Sadly, just when he's getting some character development, that's the end of the story.

Arno in DEAD KINGS actually has an edge, that's for sure. Wish it went even darker than that. I was expecting suicide attempts, drugs and Arno hanging out with red-headed prostitutes and making them dress like Elise.

One thing though is that there's no confrontation between Arno and Napoleon. The DLC should have ended with Arno going totally evil and deciding to ally with Napoleon to aid his rise to power. That would have been truthful to the story and really dark finish.

SolidNSnake1985
05-19-2015, 05:49 PM
Dead Kings was boring

didn't add anything really ..

but hey it's free, can't complain

EmptyCrustacean
05-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Dead Kings was a terrible end to a terrible story. It completely contradicts Arno's cheesy tack-on speech at the end of Unity which actually contradicted his actions throughout all of Unity anyway. Seeing him as a drunken loser shirking his responsibilities was something he went through in Unity already. Remember, that stupid mission when we had to play as arno with a hang over? Dead Kings would have been fine if Arno was a dedicated Assassin in Unity throughout but seeing him in that state reminds me that he has absolutely no conviction and is completely driven by emotion.

Charles_Phipps
05-19-2015, 08:03 PM
Dead Kings was a terrible end to a terrible story. It completely contradicts Arno's cheesy tack-on speech at the end of Unity which actually contradicted his actions throughout all of Unity anyway. Seeing him as a drunken loser shirking his responsibilities was something he went through in Unity already. Remember, that stupid mission when we had to play as arno with a hang over? Dead Kings would have been fine if Arno was a dedicated Assassin in Unity throughout but seeing him in that state reminds me that he has absolutely no conviction and is completely driven by emotion.

Arno HAS conviction in Dead Kings.

He has Conviction that France's power players (Assassins and Templars alike) suck and he needs to get out of it.

:cool:

EmptyCrustacean
05-19-2015, 09:13 PM
Arno HAS conviction in Dead Kings.

He has Conviction that France's power players (Assassins and Templars alike) suck and he needs to get out of it.

:cool:

lol indeed. ;)

HDinHB
05-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Judging from your title, you found Arno to be less than "almost interesting" in the main game. That seems to be the same as not interesting at all. But you gave Unity an 8.8/10. I am confused by your math.

D.I.D.
05-19-2015, 09:56 PM
Judging from your title, you found Arno to be less than "almost interesting" in the main game. That seems to be the same as not interesting at all. But you gave Unity an 8.8/10. I am confused by your math.

I didn't like the characters, the story or the handling of the political history in Unity, and yet it's my favourite AC game so far. It can happen.

Charles_Phipps
05-19-2015, 11:41 PM

My review boiled down to:

* Gorgeous graphics
* Great Assassin action
* More freedom to choose how to kill your targets
* Fun side-stories

vs.

* Bad history
* Confusing storytelling
* Bland protagonist who wasn't as good as previous but not AWFUL

For me, Unity's problem was it was really fun to play but not very well written. Which is a problem in a game which used to be both.

Given I gave Rogue, Black Flag, and AC 3 10/10, it's quite a come down.