PDA

View Full Version : Tales from online: offing two SpitIXs in the f4 first time out......

Jumoschwanz
05-20-2004, 06:17 AM
New patch installed, offline test completed, and onto HL and into JG27 Slammin server I go.

I take off in the 109f4 and try to get alt but shortly there is a dot right over blue base. I keep an eye on it and keep climbing, of course as I expected I only get so much alt and the dot starts to come my way, getting bigger and bigger. I flatten go level and turn into the attack. I simultaneously start an early turn and dodge the first pass, I see the attacker is a spit, and you can bet your a$$ no one is flying the Mk5 today. Though he stupidly burns a lot off, spit has E and climbs back up into the sun, I follow and finally up above and ahead I see the spit start coming back down. Another combo pass-dodge and early turn. This guy didn't do anything right apparently because I am on his tail and scoring hits. He climbs again and I catch him at the top of his stall and fill him with 20mm hits. I get out of the way and watch him start for the ground, intact but smoking. The Spit dissapears and I get the "enemy plane destroyed" message on the hud. MUst have been a pilot or control kill, the spit took a hell of a beating and stayed in one piece though.

I start climbing again and looking around, another spit with a lesser alt advantage than the first shakes a ki84 off it's tail but I get on. Now here is the amazing part, after a few turns I get on the spit's tail and it goes into a sustained level turn, THE 109F4 STAYS ON IT'S TAIL THROUGH OVER 360 DEGREES AND PULLS LEAD! With some help from flaps of course. I start to score hits, eventually catch it at the top of a stall again and fill it with twenties, this time i knock off half the elevator and the spit goes into the ground, two down!

Now I am low and slow, and a third spit hits me from behind right after spit two hits the ground, I shake it loose, but am smoking and too low for the last split S I make, my controls are still working fine but I fly it into the ground, mission over. I had fun.

Now I am thrilled with the way the 109f4 is flying. I hope the spit pilots were semi-noobs because historically I don't know if the 109f4 should go toe to toe with it like that in a sustained turn. First day of patch it cannot be said. Hopefully in the near future a Spit ace will chew me up and spit me out like I was not even there. I am pretty sure that from Spit aces accounts they didn't have any problems out turning 109s. Of course by the time the spit 9 came out the nimbler Emils and F model 109s were not around any more, the 109g6 was predominant and often had gunpods on for hitting the bombers. If I had been in a g6A/S with pods I would have been in trouble probably.

So that is it, just wanted to pass my good time on to the forum , S!

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz
05-20-2004, 06:17 AM
New patch installed, offline test completed, and onto HL and into JG27 Slammin server I go.

I take off in the 109f4 and try to get alt but shortly there is a dot right over blue base. I keep an eye on it and keep climbing, of course as I expected I only get so much alt and the dot starts to come my way, getting bigger and bigger. I flatten go level and turn into the attack. I simultaneously start an early turn and dodge the first pass, I see the attacker is a spit, and you can bet your a$$ no one is flying the Mk5 today. Though he stupidly burns a lot off, spit has E and climbs back up into the sun, I follow and finally up above and ahead I see the spit start coming back down. Another combo pass-dodge and early turn. This guy didn't do anything right apparently because I am on his tail and scoring hits. He climbs again and I catch him at the top of his stall and fill him with 20mm hits. I get out of the way and watch him start for the ground, intact but smoking. The Spit dissapears and I get the "enemy plane destroyed" message on the hud. MUst have been a pilot or control kill, the spit took a hell of a beating and stayed in one piece though.

I start climbing again and looking around, another spit with a lesser alt advantage than the first shakes a ki84 off it's tail but I get on. Now here is the amazing part, after a few turns I get on the spit's tail and it goes into a sustained level turn, THE 109F4 STAYS ON IT'S TAIL THROUGH OVER 360 DEGREES AND PULLS LEAD! With some help from flaps of course. I start to score hits, eventually catch it at the top of a stall again and fill it with twenties, this time i knock off half the elevator and the spit goes into the ground, two down!

Now I am low and slow, and a third spit hits me from behind right after spit two hits the ground, I shake it loose, but am smoking and too low for the last split S I make, my controls are still working fine but I fly it into the ground, mission over. I had fun.

Now I am thrilled with the way the 109f4 is flying. I hope the spit pilots were semi-noobs because historically I don't know if the 109f4 should go toe to toe with it like that in a sustained turn. First day of patch it cannot be said. Hopefully in the near future a Spit ace will chew me up and spit me out like I was not even there. I am pretty sure that from Spit aces accounts they didn't have any problems out turning 109s. Of course by the time the spit 9 came out the nimbler Emils and F model 109s were not around any more, the 109g6 was predominant and often had gunpods on for hitting the bombers. If I had been in a g6A/S with pods I would have been in trouble probably.

Jumoschwanz

Heavy_Weather
05-20-2004, 07:39 AM
great story http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

"To fly a combat mission is not a trip under the moon. Every attack, every bombing is a dance with death."
- Serafima Amsova-Taranenko: Noggle, Ann (1994): A Dance with Death.

PBNA-Boosher
05-20-2004, 07:44 AM
Kewl story! I wrote something like that, but I un-FB-ized it:

I was flying higher than the suggested waypoint, and cruised at 3500 meters in my fighter plane over Normandy. It a scouting flight, supposedly to intercept any bombers patrolling the area. The takeoff had been a bit bumpy, but other than that the plane was flying fine. I bent foward to switch the fuel tank, the left wing tank was getting low. I turned the red knob until it read "right wing tank" on the selector panel, and sat back upright in my seat.
I called in a left turn on our next waypoint to my wingman. I checked behind me, he was close. I told him to back off a tiny bit. As we exited the turn, I looked up...

"Enemy Fighters! 12 O' clock high!â" exclaimed my wingman, and just as I banked hard cockpit, I felt hot blood dripping down my leg. Long flashes of excruciating pain engulfed me seconds later as I pushed down on the stick to evade. The metal lodged in my calf slid all the way into the muscle and when I pulled a tight barrel roll to slow down, it lodged itself against my bone.
I screamed into the cockpit, but nothing could be heard against the roar of my engine, which I boosted up to 2900 RPM and climbed sky high to gain an advantage on my opponents before they could rip my wingman and me in half. I reached the maximum altitude my speed would allow me, and kicked the rudder all the way to the left. The back of my plane swung behind me and I pulled out the RPM's and dove toward the 109 on the tail of my wingman.
"I'm coming buddy!" I screamed into the radio, and as I plummeted toward the ground I pulled out of the dive at 700 KPH and fired a 2 second burst on the 109. The engine flashed and continued toward the ground, engulfed in flames. The pilot didn't make it out.
I pulled up violently and used my remaining energy to gain altitude again. I pulled another hammerhead, and came down on the second 109, firing short 1/2 second bursts. I cut a huge hole in his left wing and another series of holes in his fuselage. The engine started to spit fuel on the third burst. The pilot lost control of the aircraft, and jumped out of the plane. I was so close to him I could swear I heard his yelp as his parachute opened and pulled sharply upward on his crotch.
I spent too much time watching his chute open, and suddenly I had the remaining two 109's on my six, blazing away at me. I pulled a high G vertical maneuver to try to stall the 109, but it didn't work. I was left stalling while the Bf-109 continued to climb, and he fired a series of machine gun and cannon rounds, all of which hit my left wing hard, shredding a major part of the aileron off, and putting a giant hole in my left fuel tank. The remaining fuel, about five gallons, spilled out of the punctured fuel tank. I thanked God that it didn't explode. My plane was beginning to become unresponsive to my commands. the stall turned into a spin, and luckily the 109 overshot me and was able to recover before the spin became too serious. I maintained level flight while I spun the trim wheel as far as I possibly could to keep my plane from rolling from the loss of lift. I overloaded the engine for a few seconds at 3200 RPM as I desperately climbed up to 2000 meters. when I finally managed to turn around, I heard my wingman's voice break through on the radio. "Dammit! Get him off of me!" The last Bf-109 had pulled an split ess manuever and wound up luckily on my wingman's tail. I pulled out some RPM and brought the plane down to 2500 meters as I dove toward my wingman and his pursuer on the deck. I arrived a second too late, and by the time I had started firing, the 109 pilot's accurate gunnery had pelted my wingman and blown him to pieces. The wing tank was on fire, and the canopy popped off. The radio garbled so much I was only able to hear a few wordsâ...
â"I'm bailing out! I'm bailing-" My wingman's P-40 exploded in a giant ball of hot red fire. The 109 pulled up to avoid the debris. I flew straight into it. My wingman's blood splattered onto my cockpit windscreen.
In a rage of fury I started to climb, stupidly, directly into the diving Bf-109 He let loose with his cannons before I fired my machine guns, and, to my horror, I watched as the guns in my wings ripped out of their mountings and fell the 500 meters to the ground below.
I cursed into the radio. The 109 pulled another hammerhead while I fought the controls and positioned himself directly behind me, lining up for the kill. My plane wouldn't last long even under short bursts from his small caliber machine guns. I looked to my left to see if there was a way out. A River! YES! Wherever there's a river, there's a bridge sooner or later, I thought. I pulled a shallow turn toward the right, throwing ten degrees of flaps into the mix so that I wouldnâ't lose too much lift. I finally straightened out after the steep turn on course with the river, and flew low, skimming the ripples and forming whitecaps with the air I pushed behind me. I put as much fuel into the engine as I could, and rammed the throttles all the way foward. Up ahead, a bridge poked through out of the fog. Ah! Hope at last! I flew as low as I possibly could, the 109 behind me following very closely, he was less than fifteen meters behind me, he wanted me dead!
At the very last few seconds before the bridge, I pulled sharply up and then pushed hard down on the stick, going almost vertical toward the ground before I pulled back up, just clearing underneath the bridge. The Bf-109 pilot wasn't so lucky. As I had pulled up, the bridge was revealed to him, thinking I was avoiding going under it, he must have tried to follow me. When I pushed back down, he then tried to follow me as well, but he pulled back up too late, and his plane clipped the iron bars protecting the roadway on the bridge. The fuel tanks exploded, and for the second time, a giant red fireball engulfed my plane. The blood on my windscreen evaporated in the heat. Shrapnel from the 109's debris smashed through my aileron control cables, and I used the elevator and rudder to steer myself over the riverbanks. I belly landed on the road next to the bridge, and a Willys MB jeep came by fifteen minutes later. I was dragging my broken legs out of the cockpit and screaming in pain. The commander in the backseat helped carry me onto the back of the jeep, and he held me down in the rear seat, gingerly pulling the hot metal out of my thighs and calfs, then applying his shirt to the freshly bleeding wounds.

TX-CUDA
05-20-2004, 08:24 AM
....damn _Boosher after all that and your recuperated enough to get back in to the cockpit!!

HamishUK
05-20-2004, 10:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:

Jumoschwanz<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like you had fun. But the F model is no-where near as potent as the Mk IX Spit. Take a look at the Boscombe down flight data thread I have added for interest.

The Mark IX would have eaten the Friedra up for lunch

http://www.blitzpigs.com/images/Ham-SigPic.jpg