PDA

View Full Version : Support for Dual Monitors, HOTAS?

vonBimmell
05-09-2004, 06:21 AM
I don't know if this is even possible for a non Microsoft game, but it would be really neat to be able to use two monitors in SHIII like you can in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. For example you could have the control room on one monitor all the time, and use the other one for other views. It would also be cool if you could use a flight sim throttle to control your engine/motor speeds, and a flight yoke to control rudder movement instead of having to use the mouse. A lot of people have a set up like this, and it would be nice to be able to use these accesories and program the HOTAS and never have to use the keyboard or mouse.

vonBimmell
05-09-2004, 06:21 AM
I don't know if this is even possible for a non Microsoft game, but it would be really neat to be able to use two monitors in SHIII like you can in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. For example you could have the control room on one monitor all the time, and use the other one for other views. It would also be cool if you could use a flight sim throttle to control your engine/motor speeds, and a flight yoke to control rudder movement instead of having to use the mouse. A lot of people have a set up like this, and it would be nice to be able to use these accesories and program the HOTAS and never have to use the keyboard or mouse.

SailorSteve
05-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Modern subs have "pilots" who actually drive the ship. In WWII they had one helmsman, two planesmen and a signal telegraph to the engine room for speed. Just my personal opinion, but wouldn't a modern flight yoke be cheating? Still, options for different playing styles are a good thing.

vonBimmell
05-09-2004, 10:25 AM
On the 1960's O-Boat I served on, there was a One Man Control(OMC) which was almost a carbon copy of a flight sim yoke. As the name implies, one man operated the planes and steering. You pushed to make the planes go down and pulled to to come up. You turned the wheel to control the rudder. There was a backup tapper gear in the After Torpedo Room for the after planes, and one for steering in the event of an emergency. Operating the tapper gear was one of my duties as After Ends Watchkeeper on the boat. I had to control depth with one hand, and steer with the other. Although the OMC is a bit more modern than what was on a U-boat, it is leaps and bounds more realistic using a flight sim yoke then using a mouse. I don't recall ever seeing them use a mouse to control the planes and steering on a U-boat either, so how can you call this cheating? The flight sim throttle would be the engine telegraph. I don't recall seeing any U-boats use a mouse to control speed either.

SailorSteve
05-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Very true; nobody uses a mouse and keyboard to control the boat, but you do use them to give commands, and it's my opinion that the captain is more likely to give commands than actually drive the boat. As far as cheating goes, that was probably too strong a word. As I said, it's just my opinion. As long as there are options to do it both ways, I'm all for it.

CB..
05-09-2004, 02:47 PM
tried using a flight sim joystick with SH2 using a custom configuration worked ok..but it doesnt seem to suit the feel of the game somehow...perhaps not quite enough to control?
dunno...but an excellent use of the two screen concept in a subsim would have to be having the periscope view on a second monitor...only activated when the scope is up of course..that would be very atmospheric..but and this is unlikely given the scale of the market perhaps ...a addon peripheral periscope would be pretty interesting to use with the scope view passed into the viewfinder...something quite bulky sat on the desktop with the handles to pan the view etc and a small one eye viewfinder...LOL madness impractical really but
never the less very immersive..got to say if subsims were as popular as flightsims then we would without a doubt allready be able to buy them (if the games were set up to use them)

we can by entire instrument stacks for flightsims..rudder pedals , fully realistic flight yokes etc..so in that light a periscope wouldnt be outlandishly unusual

would bring back memorys of those old low tech sub games at the funfairs ...life size scope to look thru shooting little illuminated torpedos under a glass fibre sea towads afix model kits of shipps trundling across the far end attached to a circulating belt !! lol!!! amazing!!
them were the days!!

vonBimmell
05-10-2004, 05:40 PM
I agree CB, a regular flight joystick would not have the feel or give you the control you need. I am referring to a flight yoke, which is very different from a joystick. And from my real life experience, I find it quite realistic. Steve, I know the Captain doesn't really drive the boat, but there has to be some way to give control input. Whether we do it with a mouse or flight yoke, we are still playing the role of the helmsman as well, whether we realise it or not. We are on a computer, and in actual fact, there is no way to simulate this as it was done on a real boat, so why not have as many input possibilities as possible? I don't want to drive the boat like I would fly a plane in a flight sim, I just want the axis to be able to be mapped so I can use fully utilize my HOTAS and never have to use a mouse or keyboard.
I remember the arcade submarine periscope game you mentioned CB! I was hooked on it. It was a lot of fun!

vonBimmell
05-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Was just thinking CB. Do you remember those toy plastic periscopes with the mirrors set so they actually worked? If they still made them, and if SHIII had dual monitor support, you could mount the second monitor high up, and then mount the toy periscope so the top is looking at the second monitor. That could be a prototype of what you were thinking about http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I could just imagine the reaction of my daughters if they ever saw me with a setup like that! They would definitely think I was going senile!...LOL. Your idea definitely does have merit though!

CB..
05-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Cheers! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif yup sounds good!!! bit of work with some fibre glass or even wood to build the correct shape and bingo it would even look the part!
i keep wanting to stick a couple of handles on the sides of my monitor and do that sort of thing aswell LOL...if only the panning of the view could be tied to the swiveling of the monitor on it's stand we'd be laughing!!

it would be mad but somewhere in a junk yard there must be various remnants of that old funfair game (might even be the odd one or two still up and running) be really nice to find one of the life size periscope models they used and buy one ...mount the second monitor across the view finder marvelous!!....
what a game that was...!!