PDA

View Full Version : system specs?

tmdgm1
05-04-2004, 12:38 PM
My monthly question. Any ideas yet? Anyone? I'm sweating this out. I don't want to have to buy a new computer now and then another one when BOB comes out. Ain't gonna happen. FB runs fine with the below specs, just limits # of planes.

p3 933
512 sdram
geforce 4 ti 4200
audigy gamer
win me

tmdgm1
05-04-2004, 12:38 PM
My monthly question. Any ideas yet? Anyone? I'm sweating this out. I don't want to have to buy a new computer now and then another one when BOB comes out. Ain't gonna happen. FB runs fine with the below specs, just limits # of planes.

p3 933
512 sdram
geforce 4 ti 4200
audigy gamer
win me

bhunter2112
05-04-2004, 05:32 PM
my main worry as well. I have basically your setup but a pent 4, 1.5 gig. The number of planes in a mission and terrain below should be kept reasonable. Not everyone has a brand spankin system. AA ship and shore will need to be dealt with. It is a big time frame rate destroyer. When the Turpitz alone opens up in FB full mission builder I see a huge frame rate problem.
Perhaps you can turn off the AA and just show some flashes on the ships. Maybe a distance probability for hits on planes the closer you are the probability of getting hit goes up.For example a zero has a 95 % chance of getting hit by AA from a destroyer at 100 yards but only a 10% chance at 5000 yards. quick example but you get the idea. In short lose all the visuals for the AA as an option.

fordfan25
05-04-2004, 07:20 PM
i to have a humble system but i have a feeln were going to need to beef up our pcs for p.f my advice is if your realy want to play this game and acully have fun with it then start saveing NOW.man ill tell you im keeping my eyes glude to the side walks hopeing to spot a qurter lol.i would think a ti4200 and up will do fine but its the ram speed and cpu that were going to have a time with

VW-IceFire
05-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Take my advance and do not do an upgrade in the next 6 or 8 months. So many things are changing on the PC's right now that whatever you buy is probably going to be drastically revised later.

For the last year or two things have been fairly constant but the internal peripheral system is going to be changed to PCI-Express, Intel is going 64bit by years end, AMD is already 64bit, there will be more 64bit software, a new generation of video cards have come out which will be the dominant top of the line cards for the first 6 months and probably filter down into cheaper lower end cards.

Lots of stuff going on...plus we don't know what BoB's specs will be.

I suspect that I will wait till after BoB is released to do an upgrade. It'll probably push the best system around when the game comes out to its limits so take that as you may...

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

fordfan25
05-05-2004, 11:45 AM
yea waiting untill p.f is out or very close to out would be the smart thing.unless thayr are alot of games you want to play inbetween like farcry or something.waitings hard when you see all this great stuff but no way to play it lol.

ZG77_Nagual
05-05-2004, 12:18 PM
I agree - the pciexress boards will be out in June or so - and will require ddr2 ram. The next upgrade, if you go for it, will be expensive - new pci express board, ddr2 memory and a pci express vid card. There will probably be a huge sell off of last generation equipment! Best to wait till the new stuff is out for a few months - maybe next fall or even the first of the year if you want state of the art.

Flip side is if you wanted to build a system with an agp vid card based on an 875p chipset or therebouts it'll probably be very cheap in a few months, and still quite fast.

Obi_Kwiet
05-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Of course we found out about all this RIGHT after I built my bi/tri-anual PC... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

fordfan25
05-06-2004, 11:16 AM
i wouldnt worry about that. uselly the first gen of any new tech is a little buggy.not to mention these new cards and cpus are going to need a direct tap into the core of the sun to power them http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gifand a new version of windows to get the full power of the 64bit stuff. prob another 200$ your going to have to pay billy

tmdgm1
05-06-2004, 01:17 PM
I don't mind upgrading my computer when PF comes out. I've been saving for BOB. But I don't want to 'have to' upgrade for PF and then only be able to play BOB at low-med settings when it comes out.

VF-3Thunderboy
05-06-2004, 09:31 PM
This is important to the builders of the SIM also. They are always getting ahead of themsleves. P'5' 64 bit chips will run atleast $600.00 clams if not way more, at least at intro. If people cant play the sim, then why make em for the top 20% of people who live to upgrade. It should have P4 capabilities. You should be able to max out with AT LEAST 200 planes with a top of line P4,9800, -And there is no reason why they can get low res ships, planes, etc etc. This is called marketing to the masses!- 200 planes! (Minimum) !!!http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif

ucanfly
05-07-2004, 12:31 AM
Please make PF settings scalable , because there are many that don't buy a new PC every two years. I would be happy if the same system that plays FB can play PF .

fordfan25
05-07-2004, 03:57 PM
yes scalble would be very nice. pc hardware just advances WAY to fast.for the pepole who have really great jobs or born rich its no prob. but pepole makeing 10.00$an hour and haveing to pay bills there is no way to build new pcs every year or two.drives alot of pepole to the consoles like ps2 and stuff

fordfan25
05-07-2004, 03:57 PM
yes scalble would be very nice. pc hardware just advances WAY to fast.for the pepole who have really great jobs or born rich its no prob. but pepole makeing 10.00$an hour and haveing to pay bills there is no way to build new pcs every year or two.drives alot of pepole to the consoles like ps2 and stuff

tmdgm1
05-07-2004, 06:09 PM
Any chance to get a quick reply from Luthier on this??? Pleaaase.....

Just answer yes or no. Does this statement hold true. "If you can play FB, you will be able to play PF"

olaleier
05-07-2004, 09:57 PM
They shouldn't make a new game for yesterdays specs.

This is what "Low - Medium" settings are for.

The high-poly palm trees is one thing, but no texture or 3D model should be below FB standards.
Perhaps add a "Perfect" setting for terrain mesh or ground object count?

==================================
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v30/olaleier/cobrasig.jpg
Marvin in hyperlobby

RAC_Pips
05-07-2004, 11:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VF-3Thunderboy:
This is important to the builders of the SIM also. They are always getting ahead of themsleves. P'5' 64 bit chips will run atleast $600.00 clams if not way more, at least at intro. If people cant play the sim, then why make em for the top 20% of people who live to upgrade.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree with you Thunderboy.

I can appreciate that sim developers like to make use of the latest advances in computer technology. However I would like to see some recognition of their part that the majority of us cannot update our systems each time a new sim comes onto the market.

Scalibility should be a key part to new sim development.

olaleier
05-09-2004, 12:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAC_Pips:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VF-3Thunderboy:
This is important to the builders of the SIM also. They are always getting ahead of themsleves. P'5' 64 bit chips will run atleast $600.00 clams if not way more, at least at intro. If people cant play the sim, then why make em for the top 20% of people who live to upgrade.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree with you Thunderboy.

I can appreciate that sim developers like to make use of the latest advances in computer technology. However I would like to see some recognition of their part that the majority of us cannot update our systems each time a new sim comes onto the market.

Scalibility should be a key part to new sim development.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't remember any sim since (and including) F-19 Stealth Fighter that didn't have graphics detail options.

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v30/olaleier/cobrasig.jpg
Marvin in hyperlobby

Brain32
05-09-2004, 12:33 PM
I only hope it won't finish like Lock On. I bought the game when it came up but I am still not able to play it (I played IL2 FB-ACE with excellent settings all this time)!!!

NW-LiteBulb
05-09-2004, 01:30 PM
one thing to remember guys.. even tho PF is being touted as a new game it is assentialy FB with a tweaked engine, new scenery, new aircraft and a few new effects ( like being able to see your aircraft reflected in the water ) So within all reasonable doubt if you can run FB well or very well PF should run as well on the same rig. At the moment I am running a Athlon XP 2600 with 1 gig of 3200 ddr and a GF 4 Ti4800. The weak link in this system is the GF4 as its not a fully fledged DR9 card. I am thinking of getting a GF FX 5900XT in a few months time when it gets realy cheap. After that the saving for Bob begins and i will be getting a PCI express system probebly mid next year or a bit later.

but assentialy if FB runs ok now.. The PF should too. so no reason to get worried:P

fordfan25
05-09-2004, 01:38 PM
its not going to be the graphics that are going to give low end users "like myself"trouble its the amount of things going on at one time number of aircraft guns aa groundtargets ect.this will mostly happen in campaighns.i hope there will be enough time for luthuer to make a ajustment to help with that.if it cant be done then it cant be done it would be kool though.my bigest worrie is will there be DYNAMIC campaigns like in f.b

ZG77_Nagual
05-10-2004, 10:39 AM
Hot off the presses - INtel has bagged the prescott generation of chips (good news - these were **** - they ran INCREDIBLY hot and also made the mainboard run REALLY hot with no gain in performance) They are re-gearing their cpus I believe around the cool-running, low-power using pentium-m (centrino) archetecture. This is all-good but should put amd in the lead for a few months while delaying the next gen of INtel chipsets. Personally I currently run

Abit ic7 mainboard
2 gig dual channel ddr400
P4c 2.6 oc'd to 3.3
radeon 9800 pro also oc'd

it's a great rig and you can put it together pretty cheap.