PDA

View Full Version : ACU, I love it <- quelle surprise

RedTegareg
05-17-2015, 09:02 PM
I am really enjoying ACU. Just wanted to counterbalance the every other thread whine posts. :)

My favourite console game of all time would be a close match between AC2 and Sunset Overdrive.
I just went back last night to play Brotherhood, as I thought perhaps I was missing why so much negativity surrounds ACU (and yes I know its not perfect)

In AC2, the parkour / free running isn't as good as ACU. But the combat is sharper / quicker.

The thing you really notice, is how sparse the world is compared to Unity. Unity feels much more alive.
The Brotherhood maps with objectives feels positively barren compared to Unity too.

I do prefer the Brotherhood characterisation though, which is sadly missing in Unity.

Did Unity have bugs when it came out, yes. Does Unity have English accents where it shouldn't, yes.
Does Unity need better characterisation, yes. A story, yes.

But it does some really cools things too. Co-op is good. I'm using the companion app more.

I really like it. In a different way to my first joyous story driven style of meeting Ezio. I literally ran home from work daily to find out what happens next to Ezio :)
Unity, I just like playing it cos the graphics are so beautiful, running about is sweet, and collecting stuff is fun. I Just like the look and mechanics of it.

It must be hard for game creators to make a game be all things to all people. But I don't think Ubi helped themselves, by probably meeting a shareholder deadline as opposed to shipping when ready.

I hope for the next one:
* Better characterisation(and only the correct accents for where the setting is)
* Tighter combat
* Better story
* Better main story thread assistance, with better explanation and back story and database. Its all too "bitty" in ACU. I never know where I am it with it, or what the story is :)
* I hope they drop the "modern" Abstergo cr*p forever, and just make an episodic game set in the period of choice (I know others will want that nonsense to continue, but Sean/Desmond/Animus its just all a tedious distraction for me)
* Tidy up the menu system and this "sequence" drivel, see above

But the current ACU engine has a ton of promise, as the thing looks amazing. I still love playing the game, despite its flaws.
I will be first in line for the next ACU, I really like this series more than any other.

Charles_Phipps
05-18-2015, 08:29 AM
* I hope they drop the "modern" Abstergo cr*p forever, and just make an episodic game set in the period of choice (I know others will want that nonsense to continue, but Sean/Desmond/Animus its just all a tedious distraction for me)

I agree with you, all except this.

I have no interest in pure period games. UNITY was horribly weak for the lack of a modern section and I hate when fans ask for less of it.

D.I.D.
05-18-2015, 01:01 PM

I have no interest in pure period games. UNITY was horribly weak for the lack of a modern section and I hate when fans ask for less of it.

I think it should be dropped to a minimum/nothing when they have nothing to say about it, and picked up when they've got new story moments. Unity set out the same message that a PoE or something of significance to the modern day would be at the end of the trail which turned out to be a tease.

I think they need to respect the setting above all, and give us the most gripping historical story that they can. That's the strength of this series, that it can give two interesting endings (or even three: the history, the modern day, the character). One will do, if it's really good, but I think the historical one must always have priority and the modern day should be secondary (and indeed should be disposable, if it is not fit for the game). There is a reason why we have the historical part and why we go there at a specific time, and it should not be a mere theme park. We should be there because something incredible happened, something that would make great fiction had it not been real, and we should see it given the best treatment it can have.

RedTegareg
05-20-2015, 12:23 AM

It clearly divides opinion. As I say, must be tough being a gamer developer trying to please so many people.

What I am most surprised about, is I assumed people would have flamed me for daring to like ACU. But your post was supportive of my post, which is both pleasant to read and not what I expected. :)
Although I am hovering over "buy Dragon Age: Inquisition" as its in the Xbox Live Gold sale this week. I just don't want it to distract me from ACU just yet!

PKBS
05-20-2015, 04:14 PM
I am really enjoying ACU. Just wanted to counterbalance the every other thread whine posts. :).

AC Unity is a rather mixed bag for me. It's probably the game I have become the most frustrated and annoyed by of all the games I've played. It's because of all the glitches and bugs the game struggled with to begin with, I just waited playing the game until those problems were solved anyway.

The issue I have with the game is the single player part, spesifically the story. The story have truckloads of potential in my eyes, with a love story that I actually liked despite all it's clichés, and an interesting time period filled with historical persons of interest. The problem is that they barely used it, the revolution was hid in smaller sidemissions and co-op, while the love story wasn't present from sequence 2 until 7.

Cutting the love story for a brief period might've been correct if the game was substantially longer, and actually filled the aforementioned sequences with something interesting. But they didn't. Nothing of interest happened, No character-developement (as Arno barely gets to speak with anyone), no revolution. And then, in the last mission of the sixth sequence, things start to happen again. Élise gets re-introduced, and the story finally has some progression, with the revolution even playing a part. The game finished rather strong, albeit rather fast, but it's acceptable. The ending however, was crappy and horribly predictable. To be completely honest, it's in the missions where both Arno and Élise plays a part where the game shines to most. Why not utilize that?

As for Dead Kings...it was boring, simple as that. The story didn't give me anything, neither did Léon. As shown in sequences 2-7, Arno isn't a strong enough character to carry the game himself. He needs supporting characters, like most characters do, but in Dead Kings, like in chunks of the main game, he isn't given one.

After all that, I'm sat here with mixed emotions about the game. I liked parts of, I actually did, but I also hated parts of it. When thinking about, one phrase comes to mind: "What if?". What if they had involved the revolution earlier, and actually filled up each sequence with interesting mission, rather than having short sequences with two-three missions? Like, the game has just as many sequences as Assassin's Creed II, but the sequences are barely half as long as the ones in AC2, making the game substantially shorter. To make matters worste, the co-op has a lot of missions that would be far more suited in the singeplayer. Put some of those missions in the singleplayer, with surrounding missions leading up to and following them, and the game is suddenly far longer, and probably better. And then the revolution wouldn't be as pieced up and upright messy as in co-op, where you don't follow a storyline. It's a shame that the focus on co-op probably ruined much of the singleplayer, but giving it far less content. With three storylines, the revolution, the love story, and the "overthrow Germain"-storyline, then the game would always have something going on, always some kind of development, like they did in the Ezio-trilogy, where there was always something going on in every sequence.

I feel like the game as a whole got rushed, and also suffered due to the focus on co-op, with the revolution being close to absent in the main story, and everything else suffering because of that. It's a real shame, because it's a game that had enormous potential.

RedTegareg
05-25-2015, 08:41 PM
AC Unity is a rather mixed bag for me. It's probably the game I have become the most frustrated and annoyed by of all the games I've played. It's because of all the glitches and bugs the game struggled with to begin with, I just waited playing the game until those problems were solved anyway.

The issue I have with the game is the single player part, spesifically the story. The story have truckloads of potential in my eyes, with a love story that I actually liked despite all it's clichés, and an interesting time period filled with historical persons of interest. The problem is that they barely used it, the revolution was hid in smaller sidemissions and co-op, while the love story wasn't present from sequence 2 until 7.

Cutting the love story for a brief period might've been correct if the game was substantially longer, and actually filled the aforementioned sequences with something interesting. But they didn't. Nothing of interest happened, No character-developement (as Arno barely gets to speak with anyone), no revolution. And then, in the last mission of the sixth sequence, things start to happen again. Élise gets re-introduced, and the story finally has some progression, with the revolution even playing a part. The game finished rather strong, albeit rather fast, but it's acceptable. The ending however, was crappy and horribly predictable. To be completely honest, it's in the missions where both Arno and Élise plays a part where the game shines to most. Why not utilize that?

As for Dead Kings...it was boring, simple as that. The story didn't give me anything, neither did Léon. As shown in sequences 2-7, Arno isn't a strong enough character to carry the game himself. He needs supporting characters, like most characters do, but in Dead Kings, like in chunks of the main game, he isn't given one.

After all that, I'm sat here with mixed emotions about the game. I liked parts of, I actually did, but I also hated parts of it. When thinking about, one phrase comes to mind: "What if?". What if they had involved the revolution earlier, and actually filled up each sequence with interesting mission, rather than having short sequences with two-three missions? Like, the game has just as many sequences as Assassin's Creed II, but the sequences are barely half as long as the ones in AC2, making the game substantially shorter. To make matters worste, the co-op has a lot of missions that would be far more suited in the singeplayer. Put some of those missions in the singleplayer, with surrounding missions leading up to and following them, and the game is suddenly far longer, and probably better. And then the revolution wouldn't be as pieced up and upright messy as in co-op, where you don't follow a storyline. It's a shame that the focus on co-op probably ruined much of the singleplayer, but giving it far less content. With three storylines, the revolution, the love story, and the "overthrow Germain"-storyline, then the game would always have something going on, always some kind of development, like they did in the Ezio-trilogy, where there was always something going on in every sequence.

I feel like the game as a whole got rushed, and also suffered due to the focus on co-op, with the revolution being close to absent in the main story, and everything else suffering because of that. It's a real shame, because it's a game that had enormous potential.

Agreed, Story is weak. But I am on Xbox One, and I don't see hardly any buggy behaviour.
There is a ton of content, yet not in the main story arc. But somehow this hasn't bother me as much as it should, as the feedback of the controller and feel of parkour and the killing mechanic means I am happy enough to collect c0ckades and do missions.

The engine is amazing, the number of things on screen. This does give us hope that the next AC could be great, if they refine things and add a good story.
I really liked the companion app too. But I could understand why this game wouldn't float anyones boat.

xRORKx
05-26-2015, 04:58 AM
I did not play ACU when it was released. Just waited 1-2 month for fixes. It was not that bad as a lot of people say and for my surprise they probably can not remember the previous games. Especially the Ezio Trilogy is full of glitches and bugs that frustrated me by far more compared to Unity. The performance problems/long loading times on the Ps3 and unprecise controls are really really bad compared to Unity or all the times i got stuck in the envirement (never happen to me in Unity). There's much more story compared to ACIV and IMO Arno looks lot more competent as a assassin compared to clumsy Ezio who is loosing the Apple of Eden couple of times.