PDA

View Full Version : CMIAW but isn't Pre-Alpha state supposed to be at least 12 months before release?

EmptyCrustacean
05-17-2015, 12:25 PM
The footage they showed us is 6 months before release! Is anybody else worried that they're rushing the release again?!

D.I.D.
05-17-2015, 12:34 PM
No, I think it's old footage that was deemed good enough to be an appetiser. We'll see something more relevant very soon, and hopefully the jump between the two will be significant.

I remember seeing the developer videos following E3, and you could see a hint of panic in the eyes of at least one of the people overseeing the crowd system when talking about the challenges of the complexity. I think the E3 video set a marker which the game could not dip below, and that was extremely dangerous. Hopefully this time they'll populate the world to the extent that the game can take it, and not show us the full depth of it until they're certain it can function well.

Farlander1991
05-17-2015, 12:38 PM
Marketting process takes time, so the footage probably was recorded around a month ago (I doubt that more, but it's possible).

It's ok to be pre-alpha 6 months before release, though.
Alpha means feature complete - all the games features are done and set in stone, only with polishing to be done. I would say around E3 would be a normal time to enter Alpha stage and lock down all the features.
Beta means content complete, so all of the content's game is done. It will be alright for the game to enter Beta at around end-August, IMO.

The development before Alpha stage is divided by milestone. Technically they're all pre-alpha, though, so that's a very general explanation. Milestone 1 that would be like a year and a half before release is pre-alpha, milestone 10 that would be half a year before release is also pre-alpha.

Sushiglutton
05-17-2015, 12:48 PM
Think it's mostly a marketing term in this context, just like "new engine". Pre-alpha means: "please don't criticize anything in the footage shown because we promise everything will be fixed in time for launch". And it works. If you see a comment criticizing some part of the game there will soon be a defender responding stuff like "don't you know what pre-alpha means?".

Marketting process takes time, so the footage probably was recorded around a month ago (I doubt that more, but it's possible).

It's ok to be pre-alpha 6 months before release, though.
Alpha means feature complete - all the games features are done and set in stone, only with polishing to be done. I would say around E3 would be a normal time to enter Alpha stage and lock down all the features.
Beta means content complete, so all of the content's game is done. It will be alright for the game to enter Beta at around end-August, IMO.

According to wikipedia the alpha phase ends when the software is feature complete and then the beta phase begins. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

Farlander1991
05-17-2015, 12:53 PM
According to wikipedia the alpha phase ends when the software is feature complete and then the beta phase begins.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softwar...ase_life_cycle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle)

Technically, there's no alpha 'phase', there's state. A project is alpha when it's feature complete (and the wiki says so, btw). What you call the period between alpha and beta is up to your preferences I guess, but I (and pretty much everyone I know :p ) prefer to call that period 'alpha' as the project has actually passed the alpha state but is not in a 'beta' state.

Also I guess there might be some differences in nomenclature between game development and traditional software development. Because for games beta means 'content complete', and when they get to alpha content usually is NOT complete, while normal software consists only of features. You don't have to create levels for Microsoft Word. ;)

Altair1789
05-17-2015, 04:53 PM
They did put in HUGE letters "PRE-ALPHA" so I'm expecting there'll be a huge jump between this and the next footage we see. If there isn't then I'm jumping off the train and waiting to see if the story's good