PDA

View Full Version : If both ACS and ACU were revealed today, for which would you be more hyped?

dimbismp
05-17-2015, 10:43 AM
If both ACS and ACU were revealed today,and you could only play one of them,which would it be?
I used to have that kind of dilemma before playing AC4.I recall thinking that even though AC3 kind of failed to meet the expectations(even though it was still a good game),it still felt more interesting than AC4 to me.In the end,AC4 proved to be a much better game,so i was wrong.
So,let's suppose that the year is 2014.In fact it is February/March,when everyone tried to find out what the next AC would be about.If you remember,the famous airplane guy reported that the next AC would feature both Paris and London(obviously this turned out to be misinterpreted).So,back in our alternative reality:So,let's suppose that right in that period,Ubi announced that 2014 would feature 2 completely next gen AC games,Unity and Syndicate.After that they show all the "E3 ACU" stuff(the cinematic trailer,the coop and the singleplayer demo) AND all the ACS stuff we saw a few days ago.
So,obviously you are super excited for Unity's graphics,gameplay and the potential of the story,just like all of us were.But even if you aren't excited for ACS now,i bet that you would be in this alternative reality,because you would be amazed by the new graphics and all the new stuff(new combat,rope launcher,story etc)+you wouldn't be aware of the reused assets
You look at your wallet and you see a limited amount of cash.You realise that you can only buy/rent/whatever only one of them!So,which game would it be?ACU or ACS?

As for me,i would definitely be more hyped for ACU.As both games have very similar gameplay and graphics,i have to say that Unity feels much more assassin-y to me.
I hope that i will be wrong again ;D

(How can i add a poll in the mobile version?)

Shahkulu101
05-17-2015, 10:59 AM
Unity because in that first gameplay trailer I was wowed by the city and graphics.

In the ACS trailer London looks dull and washed out and the graphics worse than Unity.

VestigialLlama4
05-17-2015, 11:04 AM
I was far more hyped for UNITY's promotion than I am with SYNDICATE's.

BananaBlighter
05-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Unity seemed way cooler but seeing as I live in England I would have been biased and gone with Syndicate. Unbiased probably Unity because the combat looked better there.

Shadow__Hazard
05-17-2015, 11:27 AM
Definitely Unity. I was super excited for it after seeing the quite amazing trailer. Bloody awesome setting. (I haven't yet played it and won't have a ps4 for some time, but the excitement is still there.)

Whereas Syndicate's trailer didn't pull me in whatsoever. I'm not excited for it, quite the opposite perhaps. It might be the setting, or the character of Jacob (whom I already know I'll dislike), though it's likely both, but I'm just not really looking forward to it at all.

True_Assassin92
05-17-2015, 11:45 AM
Definitely ACU, because the French Revolution is one of my favourite historic events. The world premier trailer was awesome and you could hear the french national anthem right in the beginning. Too bad they handled it quite badly and I hope they move away from the 18-19th century. We need to go back.

The demo they showed for ACS wasn't that appealing, but I'll await more news :).

EmptyCrustacean
05-17-2015, 12:23 PM
It's hard knowing what we know now but sadly if I am to answer honestly I would have been duped into choosing Unity. It was marketed as taking AC back to its roots. It even had references to Altair. Arno looked and moved like a true Assassin and the graphics in the trailer was amazing.
Syndicate, despite having two main protagonsts as born and bred Assassins, seems more concerned with gang culture so that would have sent me Black Flag vibes.
In reality, I reckon Syndicate will be the better game (it can't get much worse)

D.I.D.
05-17-2015, 12:29 PM
Impossible to say. They were revealed in completely different ways. Unity's interiors video was pretty spellbinding and it was great fuel for the imagination, but Syndicate doesn't have one of those. Syndicate's pre-alpha gameplay reveals a mixed bag of details, but we never had a pre-alpha video for Unity so we could not be disappointed by one. Unity then had a full cinematic trailer, beta gameplay footage, which was perhaps the true "reveal".

Therefore I can't really compare them by hype. In a hypothetical situation with no promotional material to go on, if you'd told me that two games were coming - Victorian London and the French Revolution one - then although I'd be hyped for both, London would win for me.

Farlander1991
05-17-2015, 12:41 PM
but we never had a pre-alpha video for Unity

We did have leaked pre-Alpha screenshots of Unity though (VERY pre-alpha), and everybody was scared ****less about the game cause they thought that was its current state less than a year before release.

VestigialLlama4
05-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Therefore I can't really compare them by hype. In a hypothetical situation with no promotional material to go on, if you'd told me that two games were coming - Victorian London and the French Revolution one - then although I'd be hyped for both, London would win for me.

With me its the other way around, Victorian London is boring and overexposed but the French Revolution is an amazingly rich setting and so rich that if UBISOFT decided to listen to that "Ubi be change" guy and make a proper FR game, I'd pre-order it. Heck its worth it for any other company to tackle it because its an incredible period in itself. It invented the modern world and it was a global conflict, it invented America's two-party system overnight, it changed stuff in South America and stretched as far to India.

D.I.D.
05-17-2015, 12:51 PM
With me its the other way around, Victorian London is boring and overexposed but the French Revolution is an amazingly rich setting and so rich that if UBISOFT decided to listen to that "Ubi be change" guy and make a proper FR game, I'd pre-order it. Heck its worth it for any other company to tackle it because its an incredible period in itself. It invented the modern world and it was a global conflict, it invented America's two-party system overnight, it changed stuff in South America and stretched as far to India.

Absolutely, but in terms of an AC game I've always had this sense that London was the ultimate place it could go, after AC1's settings. Inner Temple, Middle Temple, Temple Church, Temple Bar: the whole Temple district's history, really. Add in the activity of the East India Company, and this setting is so ripe with potential that it ought to be the final game rather than one in the sequence.

As we've discussed, I'm not holding out much hope that they won't mess this up and skip all of that. Setting the game in 1868 and thus missing the completion of Temple Station by two years doesn't suggest they're applying themselves to the natural Templar hooks here.

VestigialLlama4
05-17-2015, 01:07 PM
Absolutely, but in terms of an AC game I've always had this sense that London was the ultimate place it could go, after AC1's settings. Inner Temple, Middle Temple, Temple Church, Temple Bar: the whole Temple district's history, really. Add in the activity of the East India Company, and this setting is so ripe with potential that it ought to be the final game rather than one in the sequence.

As we've discussed, I'm not holding out much hope that they won't mess this up and skip all of that. Setting the game in 1868 and thus missing the completion of Temple Station by two years doesn't suggest they're applying themselves to the natural Templar hooks here.

Personally the Temple hooks are not the really interesting parts of the city. I mean UNITY made a game entirely by spinning all the Templar hooks and history in France into the only real story and that failed big time. It's like the Dan Brown approach of dotting architecture.

I hope they get into the architecture like the Hawksmoor Churches, the underground of the city (there are Mithras Temples dating from Roman times underneath), the place where Boudicca fought the Romans in ancient times (and burnt the city to the ground) apparently at Charing Cross. But they should also explore say the Crystal Palace (burnt down in the 1930s), Newgate Prison (shut down in 1900s) and the like. It's a city whose grounds have been inhabited since the Stone Age. I am a pretty big fan of Alan Moore and his vision of London.

ze_topazio
05-17-2015, 01:12 PM
Both the French Revolution and Victorian England are overrated periods to me so none really.

But Syn. at least has the advantage of gangs and carriages and that sounds like it can be fun.

dimbismp
05-17-2015, 01:14 PM
I think both games have(had for Unity) great potential,both as historical open worlds and as AC games.
Having said that ,being more a story-player than a gameplay-player,i believe that Unity had the opportunity to create a perfect pure assassins vs templars story,but they decided to go for the lovers-redemption plot and ultimately failed.
On the other hand,Syndicate will most likely succeed as a historical open world,but we won't be able to see if the story is good( and/or revolves around assassins vs templars)until the release

pacmanate
05-17-2015, 01:21 PM
We did have leaked pre-Alpha screenshots of Unity though (VERY pre-alpha), and everybody was scared ****less about the game cause they thought that was its current state less than a year before release.

God knows why, those guys were idiots.

Xstantin
05-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Unity.

THE_JOKE_KING33
05-17-2015, 03:32 PM
Syndicate because Victorian London was THE setting I wanted. Never really cared for the FR even when people kept clamoring for it.

Sushiglutton
05-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Unity for sure. Just based on Notre Dame alone, both exterior and interior were fantastic.

God knows why, those guys were idiots.

Turned out they were right to worry....

Megas_Doux
05-17-2015, 04:04 PM
If I had seen both demos/footage, Unity would have been my choice. Paris, to me, is WAY more beautiful than London to begin with. Plus the footage of Unity seemed more "assassinish" than Syndicate and its brawls. Finally the "lore" of the game is historically more related to France than to England.

Unity and its wasted potential that deeply saddens me.

D.I.D.
05-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Unity for sure. Just based on Notre Dame alone, both exterior and interior were fantastic.

Turned out they were right to worry....

No they weren't. Pacmanate is talking about these shots:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--OERARdlI--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/w85dltilitcpzetoeqvh.png

At that point, nobody had any idea about what this game was or who the character was, and they immediately started fretting about it looking bad because they didn't understand what to expect from this stage.

Democrito_71
05-17-2015, 04:31 PM
I'm more hyped with AC Syndicate than I was with Unity since the grappling hook in ACS looks a lot of fun to toy around with and I'm more intrigued with the "Gangs of New York(London)" vibe I get from the trailers than to the French Revolution setting. And playing as two protagonists(brother and sister) instead of just one protagonist sounds more fun too.

And the final reason why I'm more hyped with Syndicate, is because Ubisoft fully commits to create a great single player game with no online features. I'm playing AC for the single player so I would pick up ACS instead of ACU if both were released on the same date

Altair1789
05-17-2015, 04:44 PM
The main negative point of Syndicate is it looks exactly like Unity. That wouldn't be a problem if they were both announced at the same time. If they showed us the first gameplay trailers only, I'd say Unity, but if they showed us a different area of London (like the one in the screenshots) I'd say Syndicate. I'm voting Unity though

dimbismp
05-17-2015, 05:04 PM
No matter which district they'll show,Paris is just better than London IMO.It had so many gigantic buildings,like Notre Dame,the Bastille,the Temple,the Tulleries,the Pantheon,the Palais de Luxembourg and many many others.On the other hand,London only has Big Ben with Bunginham palace and that Cathedral which resembles the pantheon.
Having said that,the reason that people love Victorian London is the mysterious,foggy and rainy atmosphere,not the monuments.

VestigialLlama4
05-17-2015, 05:15 PM
No matter which district they'll show,Paris is just better than London IMO.It had so many gigantic buildings,like Notre Dame,the Bastille,the Temple,the Tulleries,the Pantheon,the Palais de Luxembourg and many many others.

You know some of those buildings in Paris no longer exist (Bastile, Temple, Tuilleries). There are stuff in London in the 19th Century which don't exist anymore. The Crystal Palace, which became a symbol across Europe for 19th Century optimism was burnt in a fire in the 1930s (its actually kind of amazing how many historical buildings have been destroyed thanks to fire in London). Newgate Prison, a historical hellhole celebrated in countless English fiction, ended in 1900s. There are quite a few other places like that.

You know if they went to the Elizabethan Era, you could have seen Globe Theatre (Shakespeare's theatre which was destroyed in a fire in 1618, year of his death) and of course Whitehall Palace, the Tudor seat of government, the largest Palace in Europe, bigger than Versailles and Vatican, burnt in a fire in the late 1600s and gone forever.

On the other hand,London only has Big Ben with Bunginham palace and that Cathedral which resembles the pantheon.

Saint Paul's Cathedral and heh heh, its Buckingham Palace.

Having said that,the reason that people love Victorian London is the mysterious,foggy and rainy atmosphere,not the monuments.

Well, some people like Charing Cross Station, Hyde Park, Tower of London, the British Museum (seen in the trailer) which was Karl Marx's stomping ground at the time, Picadilly Circus. You also have churches by Nicholas Hawksmoor and other buildings by Christopher Wren. You have some old medieval buildings. Saint James' Place (where Kenway Manor was located in Forsaken). Royal Opera House (which was rebuilt some time later but it will be different from the 1730s).

The atmosphere of Victorian London is actually the atmosphere from gothic novels, not native to the period and bad Jack the Ripper movies.

Xstantin
05-17-2015, 05:20 PM

I'm waiting for some nighttime footage. I think The Order 1886 and Penny Dreadful spoiled me though

Megas_Doux
05-17-2015, 05:33 PM
Saint Paul's Cathedral and heh heh, its Buckingham Palace.

Out of all Londonīs landmarks, Westminster Abbey is the one Iīm looking for THE MOST. With that being said, I like Paris over London and itīs not even close,. However Tudor London would been a better competitor. Mostly because I love all those really picturesque timber framed buildings; buildings that you see in Unity but we wonīt in Syndicate.

VestigialLlama4
05-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Out of all Londonīs landmarks, Westminster Abbey is the one Iīm looking for THE MOST. With that being said, I like Paris over London and itīs not even close,. However Tudor London would been a better competitor. Mostly because I love all those really picturesque timber framed buildings; buildings that you see in Unity but we wonīt in Syndicate.

I like Paris over London generally. These days Paris and London are two sides of the same neoliberal hellhole. But historically Paris is far and away the more bada-- city, the one which Kings were scared to enter, the reason why Louis XIV built his Palace in Versailles.

I don't like UNITY's Paris at all. To me Paris during the French Revolution is something distinct unto itself. It's not for nothing that Victor Hugo said that, "What was the Revolution? It was the triumph of France over Europe and Paris over France." A counter-revolutionary story and game can never portray that city in that time with any measure of accuracy. There's the BBC accents, the lack of any intuitive feel for the place and architecture and how people at the time felt in relation to it. We don't see Cult of Reason festivals in Notre Dame for instance or join the people in toppling the monument of Louis XV, and we aren't part of the people during the Storming of Bastille and Tuilleries, so we don't see 100s dead during the day of Bastille and 200s (and 600 dead Swiss Guard) during the Tuilleries, none of that texture is there.

You don't see the city change during the Revolution. By 1793 thanks to Civil War, Paris became the first European city to have efficient street lighting by night, for instance (they put it so that they can maintain supply lines and flow of information even during night). You had the Louvre Museum which opened to the public in 1793 which Jacques-Louis David made into his Headquarters (and we could have seen the Mona Lisa). The Jardin des Plantes which was headed by Lamarck (and a nice echo with Darwin in Syndicate is gone thanks to shoddy research).

SolidNSnake1985
05-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Here is my Opinion ..

Assassin's Creed Unity when they first revealed Gameplay Trailers the Graphics was Great "Still is with the release Product"

but here is where things went downward is

1- when they first announced that the game's gonna be "Parity" at 900p ... not gonna start a console war But if a Console is capable of more than the other than they should give that "extra pixel" of the console that is capable

2- We were fine with 30fps when they announced it but was the game really was in 30fps? not really, the Performance of the game was awful .. Even Patched it remained Awful "improved but still not there" .. I played through the game not Satisfied as i'm powering through the Stutter of the FPS drops.. an example of good Optimization is Black Flag .. Consistent 30fps through all scenarios .. yes i know Unity had more Detail and that Crowd count really hurt the performance despite what Ubisoft claims

overall Unity for me was a Good game i enjoyed it despite it's bugs

Syndicate however seems to have a lower crowd count Which means it might actually have a better performance than Unity .. a Smooth Gameplay Equals a good game (Stories in Assassin's Creed have always been good) so i trust Ubisoft with this one .. and with a smooth release i may pick Syndicate over Unity, yes Syndicate looks less Detailed than Paris but with this one we might have a better performance with smoother frame rate .

SixKeys
05-17-2015, 11:54 PM
Probably Syndicate, since I've never had much of an interest in Paris. I love Victorian England though, so I think I would have been super excited if it came first.

Namikaze_17
05-18-2015, 12:30 AM
Probably Syndicate.

Mostly because I like Victorian London a bit more than the FR.

For right now, it's easy to say Unity over Syndicate. I'm waiting to see more from Syndicate. :p

The_Kiwi_
05-19-2015, 12:45 AM
As much as I was disappointed about Unity, Syndicate so far doesn't feel like an Assassin's Creed game
So I voted Unity

avk111
05-19-2015, 07:41 AM
Good day Nation,

My interest would absolutely be peaked on the ACU title. first reason is that the character himself was more astounding, a hero who has no connection to the brotherhood what so ever gets recruited sounds more fresh than a character who is born within the brotherhood, as it gives new fresh prespective.

Secondly ofcourse, the setting in the French revolution is much more exciting London, as the popular "Free-Mason" conspiracy theorist believe it was a point in time where a secret organization took a further step in controlling the world, although they should have made a game about the revolution in Scotland and the house of the ruling family at the time as they are somehow connected to French history as well.

HDinHB
05-19-2015, 08:01 AM
Is this before or after we learned the French people in Unity spoke with bad British accents? Because that would affect my vote. I'm looking forward to ACS because London will be the first AC city I have been to in real life (outside of New York and Philly, but they don't count).

...a hero who has no connection to the brotherhood what so ever gets recruited sounds more fresh than a character who is born within the brotherhood, as it gives new fresh prespective.

You are kidding, right?

The_Kiwi_
05-19-2015, 08:01 AM
Good day Nation,

My interest would absolutely be peaked on the ACU title. first reason is that the character himself was more astounding, a hero who has no connection to the brotherhood what so ever gets recruited sounds more fresh than a character who is born within the brotherhood, as it gives new fresh prespective.

Secondly ofcourse, the setting in the French revolution is much more exciting London, as the popular "Free-Mason" conspiracy theorist believe it was a point in time where a secret organization took a further step in controlling the world, although they should have made a game about the revolution in Scotland and the house of the ruling family at the time as they are somehow connected to French history as well.

Arno did have connections to the Brotherhood...
His father was an assassin, remember?

And even if he did have no connections, it's not fresh at all
Connor didn't have any connection to the Assassins
Neither did Edward

lothario-da-be
05-19-2015, 06:57 PM
I would choose acu over acs, but if you would ask the same question with ac3 and ac4 I would answer ac3. And we all know how that turned out.

GunnerGalactico
05-19-2015, 07:02 PM
Unity because in that first gameplay trailer I was wowed by the city and graphics.

^ Same here.

lothario-da-be
05-19-2015, 07:07 PM
^ Same here.
They didn't show pre-apha gameplay then though, we should compare syndicate e3 gameplay with unity e3 gameplay for a fair comparison.

GunnerGalactico
05-19-2015, 07:21 PM
They didn't show pre-apha gameplay then though, we should compare syndicate e3 gameplay with unity e3 gameplay for a fair comparison.

I was actually looking at it more in terms of what got my attention. For Unity, it was the brightly coloured city and interiors of buildings.

avk111
05-21-2015, 09:34 AM
Is this before or after we learned the French people in Unity spoke with bad British accents? Because that would affect my vote. I'm looking forward to ACS because London will be the first AC city I have been to in real life (outside of New York and Philly, but they don't count).

You are kidding, right?

Unless that was a rhetorical question, im more than glad to hear your opinion

avk111
05-21-2015, 09:36 AM
Arno did have connections to the Brotherhood...
His father was an assassin, remember?

And even if he did have no connections, it's not fresh at all
Connor didn't have any connection to the Assassins
Neither did Edward

Figuratively speaking, we did not know during the trailers release what Arno connection with the Assassins were (not me personally) however objectively speaking a new initiate to the brotherhood always has a fresh look and prespective in comparison to someone who was raised on the brotherhood from birth.

D.I.D.
05-21-2015, 10:13 AM
Unless that was a rhetorical question, im more than glad to hear your opinion

I think a lot of people are having trouble with your idea because we have had major games with characters who are not initially assassins, but it's also an expression of weariness of a certain model of story. Whether inside, outside or with initially unknown connections to the group, it becomes tiresome to many of us to have to give up a big chunk of the story to Ch. 1 "How I Discovered Who the Assassins Are", Ch. 2 "Learning about the Creed", Ch. 3 "How I Became an Assassin". After all, the original didn't have to do this (or at least not in this way), and it's not really an interesting thing to go through when it's at the expense of some other more interesting story. You could argue it's for the benefit of new players, but at this point there's hardly any need to explain who the assassins are to anybody who takes even a passing interest in games, and maybe even those who are outside of it all would prefer to pick it up in fragments during the game's run than to be shepherded through a crash course before they get into the real meat of the game.

I know people in the games industry, and all of them lament the fact that they actually get much less experience of games and time to play them since taking up their jobs. I think some designers forget what it's like to be a consumer, and that you might want to play the games you've bought more than once. I bet there were many high-fives going around the room over the structure of the AC3 intro section, and more when they completed it and got it up and running. It was an incredible thing at the time and felt like a turning point in the way games were being made (although a few short years later, many people would struggle to understand what the fuss was about). However, for me and for many people I've talked to, it wasn't actually fun. It felt for us like we were being barred from the game we'd bought. I have tried twice to play AC3 again, and I can never do it. One time I made it through Haytham's bit, got a little way into Connor's story, and then snapped. There was no way I was going to go jump through all those hoops again, to get to yet more "wax on, wax off" irritation and tales of the Order.

So that's why it's attractive to be a made assassin right from the get-go. Could we skip/minimise exposition and training? Could we spend more time on personalities and story shifts? Could we even see the game start mid-mission again? All of that sounds good to some of us.

Sef1n
05-21-2015, 12:30 PM
for me... reveal trailers. Unity won 10 to 1.
Syndicate can only surprise me in a good way as I am not looking forward to it.

I kept watching every AC trailer over and over again until it got released. With Syndicate I only saw live stream once and it was enough :-( i donīt want to see it again until they make a new one which I could like. (I did like only that "comic book" like trailer")

xRORKx
05-21-2015, 08:34 PM
I have not enough information about Syndicate in order to choose between this one or Unity. In that case i would go with Unity because i know the game and i really liked it. Syndicate could become all that what i expected from a game like The Order 1886... but got 40GB medicore with only 5 hours boring gameplay instead.

Defalt221
05-22-2015, 12:32 PM

In the ACS trailer London looks dull and washed out and the graphics worse than Unity.

The hype building E3 could prove otherwise this time.