PDA

View Full Version : AC Syndicate has potential, Presentation doesn't do it justice.

Legendz54
05-17-2015, 03:57 AM
First we are introduced with a cutscene showcasing these three new characters. Jacob, Evie and Henry. They seem interesting enough.. Well at least Evie and Henry do.

Music as Jacob leaves the bar and throughout the demo is pretty good and captures the vibe well, all good there.

But as soon as he exits the bar is when things start to get lackluster.. We are introduced to carriages.. told about them.. ok cool enough.. but what does he do? Rides it really slowly for a few seconds only to stop and get out to do more walking.. Could of used the time to show off some parkour.

Walks a bit more.. showcases the rope launcher and zip lines.. Ok they seem like cool tools.

Then all he does is crouch walk for a minute or so and take out enemies from behind.. not really showcasing any new combat moves..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqQ8sZ7MwMA

Then here.. 3:37

"The throwing knives will take him out silently"
AAAGGHH!

Does more crouching and stabbing from behind

When combat finally does happen.. no showcasing of any new animations except for repeatedly punching people and 2 shots from the gun for the rest of the time.

And the end.. Yep.. just announce your names in front of everyone like stealthy Assassin's are meant to..

Anyway I wish they could of just showcased more new stuff, Because this games story and mechanics have potential.

Charles_Phipps
05-17-2015, 04:16 AM
The carriages are just a redoing of what we saw in Revelations.

Syndicate is not a new-new game.

It's just more of the same.

You don't come to AC for innovation. You come for a hamburger.

Legendz54
05-17-2015, 04:25 AM
The most I'm hoping for right now is for this game to be the "Black Flag" of Unity.

LoyalACFan
05-17-2015, 06:40 AM
Could of used the time to show off some parkour.

no showcasing of any new animations except for repeatedly punching people

I suspect it's because there's nothing new to show. Ubisoft's model is apparently releasing an unpolished or lackluster game, then releasing a less ambitious successor the following year that fixes previous issues but copies its predecessor way too much, but nobody seems to care because it actually delivers on what the previous game promised. Saw it with AC1/AC2, then AC3/AC4, and now ACU/ACS.

I'm getting a little exasperated with this series, truth be told. There's only so many bungles you can make before your goodwill runs out.

Charles_Phipps
05-17-2015, 06:42 AM
I suspect it's because there's nothing new to show. Ubisoft's model is apparently releasing an unpolished or lackluster game, then releasing a less ambitious successor the following year that fixes previous issues but copies its predecessor way too much, but nobody seems to care because it actually delivers on what the previous game promised. Saw it with AC1/AC2, then AC3/AC4, and now ACU/ACS.

I'm getting a little exasperated with this series, truth be told. There's only so many bungles you can make before your goodwill runs out.

I think Ubisoft has lucked out with its fanbase because they're not especially demanding.

Assassins Creed is like the Elder Scrolls/Dragon Age/Warcraft/other D&D adaptations.

They have a system everyone likes already. They just need to keep making stories with it with updated technology. Just try not to screw up too much.

LoyalACFan
05-17-2015, 07:21 AM
I think Ubisoft has lucked out with its fanbase because they're not especially demanding.

Assassins Creed is like the Elder Scrolls/Dragon Age/Warcraft/other D&D adaptations.

They have a system everyone likes already. They just need to keep making stories with it with updated technology. Just try not to screw up too much.

Yeah, I feel like they're acutely aware of that fact, and they're just continuing to stick their middle fingers in our faces for it. Why put in 100% when you can get by with 70% and the fans will eat it up?

Now I'm not saying Syndicate is completely off my radar, because it isn't; if I see new footage that really impresses me or if it releases to rave reviews, I'll certainly pick it up at some point. But for now, I'm definitely leaning toward a "pass" on this one.

Charles_Phipps
05-17-2015, 07:46 AM
Yeah, I feel like they're acutely aware of that fact, and they're just continuing to stick their middle fingers in our faces for it. Why put in 100% when you can get by with 70% and the fans will eat it up?

Now I'm not saying Syndicate is completely off my radar, because it isn't; if I see new footage that really impresses me or if it releases to rave reviews, I'll certainly pick it up at some point. But for now, I'm definitely leaning toward a "pass" on this one.

Black Flag and Unity are one of the few times they've actually stubbed their toe.

Fans complained about AC III's unpolished nature but the above showed where "one game a year" was stretching things (and Ubisoft had 3 with Unity--it just wasn't enough).

As Neil Gaiman said about George R.R. Martin. "Writers just aren't machines."

Art is done when it's done.

Edit:

And I say this as someone who is actually FINE with the fact Ubisoft is reprinting the same game every year. Assassins Creed is my football game. I'll buy it every year because I enjoy it every year.