PDA

View Full Version : Should Arno have gotten the last word? *SPOILERS*

Charles_Phipps
05-17-2015, 12:22 AM
In the final vision, Arno is talking to Germaine.

Germaine talks about visions, progress, and how the Revolution can't be stopped.

I'm confused.

Why did Arno let him finish his rant?

I mean, Arno didn't care about ANY of that.

He really needed a, "Shut up, I'm killing you because I don't like you. Not your politics."

Which would have been nice to see Germaine's reaction to since he seems deluded into thinking this was a grand ambition not personal vendetta.

VestigialLlama4
05-17-2015, 03:33 AM
In the final vision, Arno is talking to Germaine.

Germaine talks about visions, progress, and how the Revolution can't be stopped.

I'm confused.

Why did Arno let him finish his rant?

Occam's Razor. Simple solution is he's dumb-as-a-pile-of-rocks and can't really understand "progress" and "visions".

I mean, Arno didn't care about ANY of that.

Exactly, Dumb as a pile of rocks.

He really needed a, "Shut up, I'm killing you because I don't like you. Not your politics."

His real reaction is, "Man this seeing the memories of the people I kill always creeps me out. I am a mind-reader and wait...is this dude talking to me and am I talking back to him...weird huh."

Which would have been nice to see Germaine's reaction to since he seems deluded into thinking this was a grand ambition not personal vendetta.

When you are a Sage, a reincarnation of a godlike being, you get a pass.

Charles_Phipps
05-17-2015, 05:15 AM
I confess, I found the ending to be very-very underwhelming.

Elise dies and then Arno has a big long speech about how he truly understands the creed, takes time to put down belief in God (which has not a damn thing to do with this plot), and then jumps off a building.

Also, how the creed is a guard against fanatacism--which makes NO SENSE as the Templars AREN'T fanatics.

They're manipulators but the whole extremism plot makes sense with Bellec, at best.

Yeesh.

LoyalACFan
05-17-2015, 07:18 AM
I confess, I found the ending to be very-very underwhelming.

Elise dies and then Arno has a big long speech about how he truly understands the creed, takes time to put down belief in God (which has not a damn thing to do with this plot), and then jumps off a building.

Also, how the creed is a guard against fanatacism--which makes NO SENSE as the Templars AREN'T fanatics.

They're manipulators but the whole extremism plot makes sense with Bellec, at best.

Yeesh.

Agree with the bolded part especially. I mean, hell, I'm agnostic at best, but it felt very out of place for Arno to just randomly start espousing atheism out of the blue. We've already established that the major religions aren't true within the AC lore because of the First Civ plot, but none of that was even mentioned in Unity. It was just a cynical attempt to regain some of the first game's "edge," I suppose.

Charles_Phipps
05-17-2015, 07:39 AM
Agree with the bolded part especially. I mean, hell, I'm agnostic at best, but it felt very out of place for Arno to just randomly start espousing atheism out of the blue. We've already established that the major religions aren't true within the AC lore because of the First Civ plot, but none of that was even mentioned in Unity. It was just a cynical attempt to regain some of the first game's "edge," I suppose.

I don't mind one way or the other if Arno is an atheist. Real-people are atheists, Christians, Muslims, and "a wide variety of faiths and beliefs made this game." I guess it was strange because it's such a bizarre speech to be made. If you want, you can read Germaine as an extremist who is trying to wipe out the problems of the monarchy through horrifying means.

Fine.

But that's not the point of the game. The entire point is avenging Elise's Dad.

Arno showed 0% interest in the Revolution's politics until the very end--and they had about 1% relationship to Christianity, which Robespierre was opposed to.

Perk89
05-17-2015, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I started a thread some time back because I had a gripe with that bit, and I've seen quite a few others who shared the sentiment as well. It was so spontaneous and random and unnecessary and almost felt like a writer was just trying to grind an axe.

jeffies04
05-17-2015, 08:55 PM
True, Arno was giving his belief that "no higher power watches to punish us for our sins" but surrounding that he is talking about the dangers of runaway ideals and beliefs based upon everything he'd just witnessed. He speaks about our free-will, that "ideals give way to dogma and dogma gives way to fanaticism", and that the creed is more of a warning than anything else-- that we must be the ones responsible for how we use our free will and how we wield our powerful beliefs.

I see folks complain about this part a lot, and with so many beliefs, I get it. But his part about higher powers doesn't read to me so much as a stab at belief in God as it is his way of saying that God can't protect us from destroying ourselves with dangerous thinking... that what we set in motion will play out to the very end here on earth at whatever the cost.