PDA

View Full Version : Tracers, why not bright like muzzle flashes???

WWMaxGunz
07-07-2004, 03:30 AM
Can't see for the brightness of flashes with nose guns.
Can't see the tracers of MG's at much range at all. And if they're from nose guns of <cough> some planes, they're hidden totally by the flashes. In real, is it not the other way around -- can't see the flashes in day but can see the tracers?

Guncam footage, there's the tracers as bright dots but what I get is dim smoke. I'd really LIKE to know where the bullets are going while I'm still in the game.

Neal

WWMaxGunz
07-07-2004, 03:30 AM
Can't see for the brightness of flashes with nose guns.
Can't see the tracers of MG's at much range at all. And if they're from nose guns of &lt;cough&gt; some planes, they're hidden totally by the flashes. In real, is it not the other way around -- can't see the flashes in day but can see the tracers?

Guncam footage, there's the tracers as bright dots but what I get is dim smoke. I'd really LIKE to know where the bullets are going while I'm still in the game.

Neal

VMF513_Sandman
07-07-2004, 05:39 AM
it's been like since v1.0. now, exception for p-38, anything that has nose mounted guns gives u what i like to call the 'flash bulb effect'. go back and do a 'history' of the game if u will...the p-39's nose mounts didnt have nearly the flash it does now. now, the p-39 and p-63 have almost blinding flashes. and these are the so-called 'limp noodle' shells; but then again, the 50 cal's were always pretty faint...but they seem to be getting fainter the more patches come out and that i find bogus.
as far as the me-109 and 190's go, ur usual mg shells are hidden in a thick puff of smoke; coupled with the 'standard' flash bulbs, if u manage to hit anything with the mg's, u'd have to be very close.
another thing off the mark: cannon recoil. the 108 is a 30mm shell. so is the p-39's gun. in all the nose mount cannon's, the 108's have practically zero recoil. the newer russian heavy hitters have so much blow-back it dam near kicks the plane around; this includes the p-39 and p-63.
another thing i find bogus is how accurate a 108 is....30mm is still going to weigh in at least 1.5 pounds per shell. i've seen a belt of 30mm cannon shells, and they are huge as well as heavy. only if u practically point blank and almost about to ram him would u be able to pop a huge cap off like this and down some1...recoil alone would knock the plane around. even the 20mm's isnt what u'd call a 'light' cannon shell.

vmf513_apache send me a clip of a 30mm chain gun in action from from an apache gunship. all it took to practically blow apart a truck was 20 shells. it dam near lifted the truck 2' in the air. i did see in live clips of the a-10's on a firing pass. they also pack 30mm cannon shells and they did have quite a bit of flash. but the gun cam clips of desert storm didnt blind the camera either; u saw the smoke, but it didnt 'white out' the gun tape.

spoonfish
07-07-2004, 06:53 AM
I thought that the P-39/63 had a 37mm cannon not 30mm so they should definetly have more recoil than the 30mm mk108,

VW-IceFire
07-07-2004, 08:30 AM
P-63 and P-39 have a 37mm cannon (different versions between the two). The recoil isn't that much more and they have a much lower fire rate in comparison to the MK180.

The muzzle flash is blinding on most cowl mounted guns in this game. I-185, P-39, Bf 109, all Yak versions...it can be a real pain when you are trying to hit a target as everyone knows.

Probably a limitation of technology...I hope for better in BoB.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

WWMaxGunz
07-07-2004, 06:34 PM
German Mk 108 cannon is a short barrel, low velocity, high-rof cannon with recoil absorbing
(well, smoothing once the trigger is held down) mechanism.

The 37mm's in the sim are high velocity cannon with heavier by far shells and more powder in
the cartridges. 37mm is to a 108 like a .375 carbine compared to a .32 pistol, for recoil.
You want to come a step closer to an even compare, try the Mk 103 for German cannon. Even
then, it is smaller shells.

Neal

|CoB|_Spectre
07-09-2004, 02:45 AM
I don't think you can draw a meaningful comparison between WWII era 30mm ammo and modern 30mm ammo simply because of comparable diameter. Keep in mind that much of the modern 30mm stuff is anti-armor and contains depleted uranium...something very plentiful by today's standards, but quite rare in WWII. The density and it's high weight to low mass ratio makes it quite attractive for use in as bobweights as well as armor penetration.

Flygflottilj16_Sulan
07-09-2004, 07:04 AM
I don´t know about the flashes of WW2 aircraft, just as a reminder I believe you cannot refer to WW2 camera shots since such things as muzzleflashes (that have a VERY short duration) often slip between the shots taken by the camera...
I hope you take this in consideration when discussing this, I do agree though that the gunflashes seams long in duration...

p1ngu666
07-09-2004, 07:09 AM
110 with mk108 is the worst, that REALLY blinds u
p39/p63 isnt so bad cos rof is low

http://www.pingu666.modded.me.uk/mysig3.jpg
&lt;123_GWood_JG123&gt; NO SPAM!

Aaron_GT
07-10-2004, 04:10 AM
"with the 'standard' flash bulbs, if u manage to hit anything with the mg's, u'd have to be very close.
another thing off the mark: cannon recoil. the 108 is a 30mm shell. so is the p-39's gun. in all the nose mount cannon's, the 108's have practically zero recoil. the newer russian heavy hitters have so much blow-back it dam near kicks the plane around; t"

The Mk108 is a low velocity, low recoil design. The NS37mm Russian gun is a 37mm (much bigger than 30mm) high velocity design.