PDA

View Full Version : Shay or Connor?

AngelDiMaria08
05-15-2015, 12:18 AM
Connor Kenway was able to purge the colonial rite of the Templar order in the 1780's whilst Shay was able to purge the Colonial assassins each of them alone, so they are clearly the strongest protagonists in the series even compared to Ezio and Altair not only Edward and Arno. But who is stronger Shay or Connor, and if Shay didn't leave the Colonies in search of the box would Connor have been able to purge the rite? For me I guess Connor is stronger than Shay even if we disregard the age difference ie a 25 year old Connor would beat a 25 year old Shay but I don't think he would have succeeded in purging the rite if Shay was there because this act doesn't only need strength but intelligence and strategy which are abundant in Shay (and in Arno btw) but not in Connor.

Charles_Phipps
05-15-2015, 12:36 AM
I think Connor is stronger, physically, than Shay but Shay is a cheating combat pragmatist.

Remember, Shay shot Adewale in the face.

LoyalACFan
05-15-2015, 12:36 AM
Connor hands-down. If you think about it, Shay never actually fought any of the major Assassins head-on, he killed them all when they were running away or shot them from a distance (optional objectives). Connor was able to beat (or at least fend off) Haytham himself in direct combat even after getting severely injured by cannon fire.

I really don't think Shay was meant to be all that in terms of combat, he just benefited from the same dirt-easy combat system as the other games. Whereas Connor (and Ezio and to some degree Edward) were shown to be excellent fighters in the story. I'm pretty sure Connor is supposed to be the strongest.

Charles_Phipps
05-15-2015, 12:42 AM
Connor hands-down. If you think about it, Shay never actually fought any of the major Assassins head-on, he killed them all when they were running away or shot them from a distance (optional objectives). Connor was able to beat (or at least fend off) Haytham himself in direct combat even after getting severely injured by cannon fire.

I really don't think Shay was meant to be all that in terms of combat, he just benefited from the same dirt-easy combat system as the other games. Whereas Connor (and Ezio and to some degree Edward) were shown to be excellent fighters in the story. I'm pretty sure Connor is supposed to be the strongest.

That's the thing, though, that's WHAT ASSASSINS ARE SUPPOSED TO DO. They're not meant to directly engage in combat with people. Shay wins his battles with the Assassins by taking whatever advantage he can.

Connor single handedly takes down Forts.

Shay, however, blows them up.

LoyalACFan
05-15-2015, 12:45 AM
That's the thing, though, that's WHAT ASSASSINS ARE SUPPOSED TO DO. They're not meant to directly engage in combat with people. Shay wins his battles with the Assassins by taking whatever advantage he can.

Connor single handedly takes down Forts.

Shay, however, blows them up.

Yeah, I agree, but the question was whether Connor could have defeated Shay, and I think the answer is a definite yes.

Charles_Phipps
05-15-2015, 12:47 AM
Yeah, I agree, but the question was whether Connor could have defeated Shay, and I think the answer is a definite yes.

That's the thing, though, are we assuming Shay would try and fight him?

Or would Shay try to KILL him?

There's a big difference.

Because in a "real" fight, it might end up like Indiana Jones and the swordsman.

SixKeys
05-15-2015, 12:56 AM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/92/925277e6b151350f3612cae9c182b8434c6d66e4ae3f611ada 6002dab87c9fa9.jpg

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-15-2015, 01:06 AM

Agreed.

LoyalACFan
05-15-2015, 01:09 AM
That's the thing, though, are we assuming Shay would try and fight him?

Or would Shay try to KILL him?

There's a big difference.

Because in a "real" fight, it might end up like Indiana Jones and the swordsman.

Except they both have similar gear, and it's not like Connor would leap out in front of him and invite him to shoot like the swordsman in Raiders. Connor's an Assassin too, he's not just a crazed fighter; he'd be just as likely to shoot Shay as Shay would be to shoot him. Plus he's demonstrated that he can take a hell of a lot of injury before going down. Of course there's some room for variables (skill isn't everything, either one of them could technically be killed by some random soldier's wayward bullet at any time) but Connor is easily the stronger opponent IMO

Charles_Phipps
05-15-2015, 01:11 AM
Except they both have similar gear, and it's not like Connor would leap out in front of him and invite him to shoot like the swordsman in Raiders. Connor's an Assassin too, he's not just a crazed fighter; he'd be just as likely to shoot Shay as Shay would be to shoot him. Plus he's demonstrated that he can take a hell of a lot of injury before going down. Of course there's some room for variables (skill isn't everything, either one of them could technically be killed by some random soldier's wayward bullet at any time) but Connor is easily the stronger opponent IMO

That's the thing, though, we can get a sense for the men's various styles of fighting from their Synchronization points. Connor likes to get up close and personal, Shay does not.

If Connor got close, it's his fight.

If it's ranged, Shay wins.

My take.

LoyalACFan
05-15-2015, 01:28 AM
That's the thing, though, we can get a sense for the men's various styles of fighting from their Synchronization points. Connor likes to get up close and personal, Shay does not.

If Connor got close, it's his fight.

If it's ranged, Shay wins.

My take.

Connor has the Shard of Eden :p But really, it's hard to say who would win from a distance or from stealth, because it's basically a matter of who gets the jump on the other one.

Charles_Phipps
05-15-2015, 02:10 AM
Connor has the Shard of Eden :p But really, it's hard to say who would win from a distance or from stealth, because it's basically a matter of who gets the jump on the other one.

Yeah, in that case, Connor would probably win.

VestigialLlama4
05-15-2015, 03:40 AM
Yeah, in that case, Connor would probably win.

If its a fight between Connor and Shay, and all things being equal, well let's see:

SHIP BATTLE
Morrigan versus Aquila.

As per Robert Faulkner in the War Letters, the Aquila is the fastest, quietest ship, custom-made and built to spec by and for the Assassins. It's a ship that was a bit of a White Elephant for the Assassins and didn't see a lot of use, because it needed an exceptionally good captain and exceptional crew for it to run and work. Ergo, Connor is the best damn captain we play in all three games because his ship requires a genius behind the wheels. When we played Aquila in AC3, it had heat shot, chain shot, grape shot, round shot so primitive in terms of firepower compared to Morrigan and Jackdaw (though the Aquila has far more cannons) but the fact is that was a period of limited sea activity (and the lack of open-world sailing implies Connor only sailed on specific assignments and contracts and so didn't feel the need to upgrade and stockpile ammo) and despite that limited firepower, the Aquila could destroy Man O'Wars and Frigates.

So between the two ships, Morrigan and Aquila, I'd say it can go either way. It would be a legendary style ship battle if done right (a major disappointment is that the fight against Adewale wasn't a ship battle of this sort). Connor has greater skill and better ship while Morrigan has more firepower.

LAND BATTLE
Connor versus Shay

Now this is evenly matched to some extent (mostly because Connor's animations were reused for Shay). If it takes place in a natural environment, with rocks and trees, then Connor has advantage because he can climb rocks and climb trees to a greater height than Shay. The tree-climbing in AC3 was far more complex than the simplified ones in Black Flag and ROGUE. And Shay can't climb rocks and declivities at all. So Connor has greater freedom of movement in terrain. If it takes place in an urban area, Shay has advantage because he has more weapons and unlike Connor doesn't care if he can kill civilians or not, so less limitations or hindrances to attack his quarry. He also has primitive grenade launchers and the like, though Connor himself is highly resistant to concussion as seen in AC3 where he survives a Fort Bombardment and we know as per Full Synch that he marched across Bunker Hill without getting a single bullet wound.

Mostly Connor should win, his fighting style was far more diverse than Edward's and Shay's after all, since he had to fight and kill Jaegers, enemy archetypes absent in the later games. Jaegers are the single toughest enemy type in all AC games uptill now and Connor was able to beat multiple enemies of that kind. Connor also has age on his side. If he and Shay should meet, Connor would likely be 30-40s while Shay will be 50s-60s.

Mr.Black24
05-15-2015, 03:41 AM
It depends really. I know the optional objectives has Shay fighting dirty, but when it comes to life and death, it all depends on weapons, age, experience, and the environment. I have a hard time figuring this one out. It could have been if...ya know.... UBISOFT ACTUALLY CROSSED THEIR STORIES INTO ONE EPIC FINALE!

Plus after fighting enemies with the 11th century Templar armor, I had this idea that Shay would try to reform the Order by bring back the fighting techniques of the original Knights Templar, since in origin, they were a military Order. Which reminds me, how can a Order of Knights loose their fighting skills? They were a bunch of knights for cripes sake, you'd think that they at least had some sword training to defend themselves from Assassin attacks, like how it was in AC1.

AGH, I'm also trying to get the Sir Gunn Armor and the rest of the DLC, but damm bugs and errors totally eliminated the armor, outfits, and weapons, despite owning the DLC content for some damm reason. I paid good money for it, and I want my money's worth!

Civona
05-15-2015, 03:49 AM
I don't care who would win in a fight, but I think Connor is more interesting, better written, and a heck of a lot more philosophically nuanced.

VestigialLlama4
05-15-2015, 04:00 AM
I don't care who would win in a fight, but I think Connor is more interesting, better written, and a heck of a lot more philosophically nuanced.

Well with Connor you have someone with actual problems and issues - being an orphan, part of a minority, finding his way of life threatened by encroaching patriots, looking for validation among parental figures.

With Shay, you have magic earthquake machines, so not someone you can relate to outside of a pages of a comic book.

Charles_Phipps
05-15-2015, 04:11 AM
It depends really. I know the optional objectives has Shay fighting dirty, but when it comes to life and death, it all depends on weapons, age, experience, and the environment. I have a hard time figuring this one out. It could have been if...ya know.... UBISOFT ACTUALLY CROSSED THEIR STORIES INTO ONE EPIC FINALE!

Plus after fighting enemies with the 11th century Templar armor, I had this idea that Shay would try to reform the Order by bring back the fighting techniques of the original Knights Templar, since in origin, they were a military Order. Which reminds me, how can a Order of Knights loose their fighting skills? They were a bunch of knights for cripes sake, you'd think that they at least had some sword training to defend themselves from Assassin attacks, like how it was in AC1.

AGH, I'm also trying to get the Sir Gunn Armor and the rest of the DLC, but damm bugs and errors totally eliminated the armor, outfits, and weapons, despite owning the DLC content for some damm reason. I paid good money for it, and I want my money's worth!

Well, in real-life, the Knights lost their fighting skills because they became bankers rather than fighters. Then the Freemasons took on the Knights Templar's personas.

VestigialLlama4
05-15-2015, 04:15 AM
Well, in real-life, the Knights lost their fighting skills because they became bankers rather than fighters. Then the Freemasons took on the Knights Templar's personas.

That is true. The real Jacques de Molay was not as painted in UNITY, some grand evil genius or prophet of middle-class rising. He was a total mediocrity whose lack of foresight and love for his cushy position led him to make the Templars enough of a liability that the French King basically shrugged and said, "They were totally asking for it."

Charles_Phipps
05-15-2015, 04:24 AM
Of course, in any real-life contest, Shay is going to be at a serious disadvantage because he's 45 in 1776 while Connor is 20.

Fifteen years age difference is not a small amount, especially assuming Shay decides to come back after Connor after the American Revolution in 1780. Remember, it's not for another 4 years that Haytham Kenway is going to be dead. Things get much-much worse before they get better for the Colonial Rite.

Then Shay is going to be almost fifty and in no shape to be fighting a Connor who is in the prime of his physical prowess.

I also have the headcanon Charles Lee was going to Britain after the death of Haytham to GET Shay to kill Connor. It's just Connor got Lee first.

LoyalACFan
05-15-2015, 08:39 AM
I also have the headcanon Charles Lee was going to Britain after the death of Haytham to GET Shay to kill Connor. It's just Connor got Lee first.

This is a cool idea. I wish Rogue would have shown Charles and Shay vying to be Haytham's right hand man. Would have been more interesting than bantering Christopher Gist, at any rate.

GunnerGalactico
05-15-2015, 11:03 AM
*One-on-one: Connor could easily defeat Shay.

*Naval battle: The Morrigan would destroy the Aquila.

^ Nuff said!

Mr.Black24
05-15-2015, 09:29 PM

That is true. The real Jacques de Molay was not as painted in UNITY, some grand evil genius or prophet of middle-class rising. He was a total mediocrity whose lack of foresight and love for his cushy position led him to make the Templars enough of a liability that the French King basically shrugged and said, "They were totally asking for it."
If we were to follow the actual historic events, the Assassin-Templar war would have never happened.

I'm talking about AC Lore here guys, come one!:p But yeah, I just thought I'd be a nice part of lore for Shay doing his Templar thing, reforming them to a more military secret order again, as an effort to combat Connor's growth of the American Brotherhood. Like it isn't hard for Shay to see his prized Templar Armor, and go "Ya know...the Knights Templar at their peak were a force to be reckoned with during those times, highly respected and fierce in combat....its high time I bring it back, 18th century style"

I think it would be really cool!

Hans684
05-15-2015, 09:32 PM
If we were to follow the actual historic events, the Assassin-Templar war would have never happened.

I'm talking about AC Lore here guys, come one!:p But yeah, I just thought I'd be a nice part of lore for Shay doing his Templar thing, reforming them to a more military secret order again, as an effort to combat Connor's growth of the American Brotherhood. Like it isn't hard for Shay to see his prized Templar Armor, and go "Ya know...the Knights Templar at their peak were a force to be reckoned with during those times, highly respected and fierce in combat....its high time I bring it back, 18th century style"

Exempt in terms of characters it makes far more sense for them to make peace or at least try it until some fanatic with a black and white view start the war again.

VestigialLlama4
05-15-2015, 09:46 PM

You know there was a group of people who tried to revive a military secret order and tried to bring back fierce combat...they were called the Ku Klux Klan.

EmptyCrustacean
05-15-2015, 09:47 PM
both Shay and Connor are similar in that one is a bad Assassin and the other a terrible templar. I honestly still to this day cannot tell you why Shay became a Templar. And as for Connor, Juno gave him no choice which is hardly a good motivation. That said, Connor would kick Shay's backside in every conceivable way. He's a dual-wiedler and far more intelligent.

Shahkulu101
05-15-2015, 09:52 PM
They'd organize a fistfight and that dirty bastard Shay would turn up with a grenade launcher and blow Connor into giblets.

Charles_Phipps
05-15-2015, 09:53 PM
You know there was a group of people who tried to revive a military secret order and tried to bring back fierce combat...they were called the Ku Klux Klan.

Hitler also liked sugar.

Guys who play white hooded cultists who commit murders to terrorize the populace should not throw stones.

:-D

GunnerGalactico
05-15-2015, 09:58 PM
They'd organize a fistfight and that dirty bastard Shay would turn up with a grenade launcher and blow Connor into giblets.

Let's see, Connor got: impaled by a pole, shot twice by pistols, stabbed and shot to the chest by a musket.... and miraculously survived. I think he might survive that :p

Fatal-Feit
05-16-2015, 04:58 AM
Connor because he's superior in every way. Strength, intelligence, endurance, everything. The Aquila was also both the fastest and strongest ship of its time.

I don't know what you guys mean by Shay having the advantage in range. His Air Rifle doesn't shoot normal bullets, and Connor is far more experienced considering he rocks a bow.

HEHE

I agree

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/92/925277e6b151350f3612cae9c182b8434c6d66e4ae3f611ada 6002dab87c9fa9.jpg

11/10

Charles_Phipps
05-16-2015, 05:01 AM
I don't know what you guys mean by Shay having the advantage in range. His Air Rifle doesn't shoot normal bullets, and Connor is far more experienced considering he rocks a bow.

Because Connor tries to get up close and dirty for his kills like with Haytham, Lee, and others.

While Shay prefers to kill from a distance.

Fatal-Feit
05-16-2015, 05:17 AM
Because Connor tries to get up close and dirty for his kills like with Haytham, Lee, and others.

While Shay prefers to kill from a distance.

Can you name me assassinations he performs from a distance? IIRC, he performs more close up kills than Connor.

i.e
Le Chasseur, Adéwalé, Hope, Verendrye, Liam, Lawrence Washington, Tom Smith, Charles Dorian, Kesegowaase, and the two other Templars.

Namikaze_17
05-16-2015, 05:26 AM
*One-on-one: Connor could easily defeat Shay.

*Naval battle: The Morrigan would destroy the Aquila.

^ Nuff said!

Pretty much this.

Though I must say that even though Connor may not be the best captain, he certainly isn't no slouch, and would at least give Shay a run for his money in a ship battle.

Depending on the situation that is.

VestigialLlama4
05-16-2015, 05:39 AM
Pretty much this.

Though I must say that even though Connor may not be the best captain, he certainly isn't no slouch, and would at least give Shay a run for his money in a ship battle.

Depending on the situation that is.

Actually Connor is a far better captain than Shay and his Dad. Reposting from earlier:

As per Robert Faulkner in the War Letters, the Aquila is the fastest, quietest ship, custom-made and built to spec by and for the Assassins. It's a ship that was a bit of a White Elephant for the Assassins and didn't see a lot of use, because it needed an exceptionally good captain and exceptional crew for it to run and work. Ergo, Connor is the best damn captain we play in all three games because his ship requires a genius behind the wheels. When we played Aquila in AC3, it had heat shot, chain shot, grape shot, round shot so primitive in terms of firepower compared to Morrigan and Jackdaw (though the Aquila has far more cannons) but the fact is that was a period of limited sea activity (and the lack of open-world sailing implies Connor only sailed on specific assignments and contracts and so didn't feel the need to upgrade and stockpile ammo) and despite that limited firepower, the Aquila could destroy Man O'Wars and Frigates. In Black Flag and Rogue, frigates and man o'wars can't be attacked without superior firepower so Connor can do more with limited types of Ammo than Edward and Shay.

So between the two ships, Morrigan and Aquila, I'd say it can go either way. It would be a legendary style ship battle if done right (a major disappointment is that the fight against Adewale wasn't a ship battle of this sort). Connor has greater skill and better ship while Morrigan has more firepower.

Namikaze_17
05-16-2015, 05:47 AM
Actually Connor is a far better captain than Shay and his Dad. Reposting from earlier:

As per Robert Faulkner in the War Letters, the Aquila is the fastest, quietest ship, custom-made and built to spec by and for the Assassins. It's a ship that was a bit of a White Elephant for the Assassins and didn't see a lot of use, because it needed an exceptionally good captain and exceptional crew for it to run and work. Ergo, Connor is the best damn captain we play in all three games because his ship requires a genius behind the wheels. When we played Aquila in AC3, it had heat shot, chain shot, grape shot, round shot so primitive in terms of firepower compared to Morrigan and Jackdaw (though the Aquila has far more cannons) but the fact is that was a period of limited sea activity (and the lack of open-world sailing implies Connor only sailed on specific assignments and contracts and so didn't feel the need to upgrade and stockpile ammo) and despite that limited firepower, the Aquila could destroy Man O'Wars and Frigates. In Black Flag and Rogue, frigates and man o'wars can't be attacked without superior firepower so Connor can do more with limited types of Ammo than Edward and Shay.

Hmm, good point.

Charles_Phipps
05-16-2015, 05:49 AM
Can you name me assassinations he performs from a distance? IIRC, he performs more close up kills than Connor.

i.e
Le Chasseur, Adéwalé, Hope, Verendrye, Liam, Lawrence Washington, Tom Smith, Charles Dorian, Kesegowaase, and the two other Templars.

Kesegowaase was killed with a machine gun.

:-)

Fatal-Feit
05-16-2015, 06:23 AM
Kesegowaase was killed with a machine gun.

:-)

That's not what the white room showed. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mr.Black24
05-16-2015, 06:35 AM
https://36.media.tumblr.com/25206a88a398d483759afc9aaaf9266a/tumblr_nnuo2kZO7P1r6tmsdo1_500.png

Fatal-Feit
05-16-2015, 06:44 AM
Eseosa, Shay, Connor, Aveline, and Arno should form the 18th century Avengers.

Charles_Phipps
05-16-2015, 06:51 AM
Eseosa, Shay, Connor, Aveline, and Arno should form the 18th century Avengers.

It can be the Fantastic Four.

Connor, Aveline, Arno, and Eseosa join together to attack Shay's hidden Latverian castle!

Fatal-Feit
05-16-2015, 07:00 AM
That's even better! Someone pitch that to UBI.

VestigialLlama4
05-16-2015, 07:04 AM
It can be the Fantastic Four.

Connor, Aveline, Arno, and Eseosa join together to attack Shay's hidden Latverian castle!

I prefer AC when it wasn't a superhero game and is tied to actual history. I would like a story set in the 1790s in the New World. Eseosa was involved in the Haitian Revolution, and that would have been an awesome game on its own terms. Meanwhile Aveline helps the real-life Victor Hugues free Guadaloupe from the English and emancipate slaves and start a mixed white-black army. Louis Delgres, a real mulatto revolutionary is an Assassin and his real-life heroic last stand against Napoleon's pro-slavery soldiers will be an awesome tearjerker moment and in the end the Louisiana Purchase happens and Aveline becomes American and has fewer rights as a citizen then she did under Royal and Republican France.

As for Connor, he has a whole lot of fun. In the 1780s, Shay returns to America to restart the Templars and decides to pursue another the Observatory for some reason. There the Aquila and Morrigan fight, both take heavy damage and crash on the island. Epic boss fight ensues and Connor destroys the Observatory like a boss, Shay either sacrifices himself to save Connor when he sees Connor is truly good and redeems himself, or Connor kills him. As in ROGUE-UNITY lore and present day content, Sivert funded an expedition to the Observatory in the 1780s and something happened and it got destroyed. Otso Berg investigates the present day site and finds Shay's body. Later Connor involves himself in the Northwest Indian Wars, and his Aquila helps the French during the Glorious First of June, and he fights the French during the XYZ War. Then Connor recruits the underground railroad, moves the Homestead away from New England, leaves his wife and kids and fights with Tecumseh during the 1812 War and the Aquila fights beside Jean Lafitte during the Battle of New Orleans where he dies, going down with his ship, his body lost forever. That is if they want to give Connor a sad ending. My preference is Connor lives long, recruits Assassins like John Brown, Harriet Tubman before nominating Frederick Douglass as the future Mentor and dying just like Achilles.

That's my headcanon at least.

Charles_Phipps
05-16-2015, 07:11 AM
Good stuff.

My headcanon?

Connor comes to the French Revolution in his fifties and recruits Arno to help him kill Shay in order to avenge Arno's father. They hunt down Shay, who is now the Grandmaster of the European Templars and Colonial Rite after Germaine's death.

Shay is able to put up a good fight but falls to both Master Assassins.

Then Arno asks Connor to spare Shay, pointing out that the endless war between the Templars and Assassins is pointless.

Connor, relucuatntly, agrees.

Shay, stunned someone believes as he used to, agrees that as long as he's Grandmaster that he will not pursue war against the Assassins but says that he cannot guarantee his successors will do the same.

And for time, there is peace.

It would make Arno not look like a giant putz.

GunnerGalactico
05-16-2015, 10:01 AM

Hmmm.... Excellent points. I agree that Connor has proven himself to be a competent privateer. Shay is also good, but the artillery he has on the Morrigan is what gives him an edge. I also feel that it could go either way if it was only based on skill and experience alone.

TO_M
05-16-2015, 03:03 PM

Lol, this was the first thing that came to mind after reading the thread title :p

Mr.Black24
05-16-2015, 07:38 PM
I just realized that the Season pass is $40!! That would make the game in total $90!

Yall gone crazy! Especially since lots of people's faith weakened since Unity's performance, I doubt people are willing to go for this.

Unless you got that Connor/Shay/Arno/Aveline DLC in there.....

Hans684
05-16-2015, 08:38 PM
I just realized that the Season pass is $40!! That would make the game in total $90!

Yall gone crazy! Especially since lots of people's faith weakened since Unity's performance, I doubt people are willing to go for this.

Unless you got that Connor/Shay/Arno/Aveline DLC in there.....

Most likely more Evie missions since she might have less than Jacob in the original game.