PDA

View Full Version : SimKit instruments and IL2

garyedwards
06-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Hello Oleg

It was a pleasure to meet you at the Blackpool Flight Simulation show. I briefly spoke to you about connecting SimKits gauges to work with IL2 FB and later Sims.

I hope you will get in touch with Curt Roth, MD of SimKits, and both companies work on an interface driver together.

I understand that the latest patch of IL2 outputs all the aircraft flight parameters, via the DeviceLink interface.

SimKits have a SDK which would be able, I believe, use the DeviceLink interface to control the gauges.

I am looking at building a 'basic' fighter cockpit. This would initially have gauges for speed, altitude, attitude, climb, direction and tachometer.

I would have liked to write the interface myself, however the SDK is for C++, VB and Delphi. I only know Java and PROGRESS(?).

Thanks for a great flight sim and keep up the great work with Pacific Fighter and Battle of Britian!

All the best to you and all at Maddox Games

garyedwards
06-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Hello Oleg

It was a pleasure to meet you at the Blackpool Flight Simulation show. I briefly spoke to you about connecting SimKits gauges to work with IL2 FB and later Sims.

I hope you will get in touch with Curt Roth, MD of SimKits, and both companies work on an interface driver together.

I understand that the latest patch of IL2 outputs all the aircraft flight parameters, via the DeviceLink interface.

SimKits have a SDK which would be able, I believe, use the DeviceLink interface to control the gauges.

I am looking at building a 'basic' fighter cockpit. This would initially have gauges for speed, altitude, attitude, climb, direction and tachometer.

I would have liked to write the interface myself, however the SDK is for C++, VB and Delphi. I only know Java and PROGRESS(?).

Thanks for a great flight sim and keep up the great work with Pacific Fighter and Battle of Britian!

All the best to you and all at Maddox Games

WWSensei
06-23-2004, 12:05 PM
I wrote a fairly easy to use C++ wrapper class for devicelink. You can get it here:

http://www.wingwalkers.org/sensei/devicelink.zip

Devicelink is for 3rd party developers for these type of instruments. It's crude but workable. What would be much better is to open up the loadable DLL area to accomodate other DLL modules like trackIR is done.

If Oleg's team were to write for Simkit (I'm writing something for the GoFlight modules for my own pit) they would write directly to Simkit's API and skip devicelink altogether.

GT182
06-23-2004, 12:37 PM
WWSensei, would devicelink work to get the Tracker IR to work in other sims? Especially CFS2 and possibly Call of Duty. Or would have to be coded in by who made the game?

"GT182" / "Stab/JG51_vonSpinmeister"
www.bombs-away.net (http://www.bombs-away.net)
"Fly to Survive, Survive to Fly"

WWSensei
06-23-2004, 08:32 PM
"WWSensei, would devicelink work to get the Tracker IR to work in other sims? Especially CFS2 and possibly Call of Duty. Or would have to be coded in by who made the game?"

No, "devicelink" is what Oleg's team implemented in their software for external devices to talk to it. All I did was take the Maddox Games "protocol" and wrap it up in a C++ class for easier code-ability for C++ programmers.

The only way to use trackIR in other games is they either have to implement trackIR's API or be emulated through some sort of mouselook.

I've seen trackIR's API and it isn't hard at all. Any flight-sim released from now on that doesn't support it is just shooting themselves in the foot. It's simple to implement and I'd equate it to releasing without joystick support.

When more FPS games implement independant head movement it will also be a very nice tool to have.

LW_lcarp
06-23-2004, 08:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GT182:
WWSensei, would devicelink work to get the Tracker IR to work in other sims? Especially CFS2 and possibly Call of Duty. Or would have to be coded in by who made the game?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All you have to do is put your Track IR into Mouse Emulation and it will work with COD but i must worn you its not the most fun to have with it

"If winning isnt everything why do they keep score"
Vince Lombardi