PDA

View Full Version : Online Scoring

nickdanger3
01-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Looking over posts to both the Ready Room and the General Discussion you can't help but see complaints about killstealing, team killing, and the somewhat arbitrary values that have placed on different events. So I was thinking, why not let the HOST of online games decide on the scoring structure. Think about the ramifications:

A host thinks that bailing out after a shootdown deserves LESS than a crashlanding/ditch. Well, I'm gonna try and land that sucker !

Hosts who spend all that time crafting intricate missions with ground targets only to watch things turn into a furball can have the points reflect the hosts view of the relative importance of the mission's goals.

As for killstealing, maybe a host could assign a set number of points to whomever put bullets into a plane - at least 2 (or more) people can get some credit.

A host could assign a big negative hit (-500) if you are killed regardless of circumstance - might have some interesting effects on people's behavior.

Another nice idea might be to allow the host to set an automatically kick when players scores reach a certain level.

For example, if you as a host, hate team killers, you could set "Friendly Shootdown = - 1000" and have the automatic Score kicker set to -1000 and BOOM - no more teamkiller - ok, for a few minutes at least.

Anyway, I hope that I'm not repeating stuff or *GODFORBID* I'm such a newbie that this is already possible and I'm an idiot.

nickdanger3
01-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Looking over posts to both the Ready Room and the General Discussion you can't help but see complaints about killstealing, team killing, and the somewhat arbitrary values that have placed on different events. So I was thinking, why not let the HOST of online games decide on the scoring structure. Think about the ramifications:

A host thinks that bailing out after a shootdown deserves LESS than a crashlanding/ditch. Well, I'm gonna try and land that sucker !

Hosts who spend all that time crafting intricate missions with ground targets only to watch things turn into a furball can have the points reflect the hosts view of the relative importance of the mission's goals.

As for killstealing, maybe a host could assign a set number of points to whomever put bullets into a plane - at least 2 (or more) people can get some credit.

A host could assign a big negative hit (-500) if you are killed regardless of circumstance - might have some interesting effects on people's behavior.

Another nice idea might be to allow the host to set an automatically kick when players scores reach a certain level.

For example, if you as a host, hate team killers, you could set "Friendly Shootdown = - 1000" and have the automatic Score kicker set to -1000 and BOOM - no more teamkiller - ok, for a few minutes at least.

Anyway, I hope that I'm not repeating stuff or *GODFORBID* I'm such a newbie that this is already possible and I'm an idiot.

crazyivan1970
01-29-2004, 05:34 PM
I think scoring should be simplified really...

Number of aircraft destroyed
Number of aircraft lost
Number of deaths - capture by opposition = death as well
Number of ground unit destroyed
Number of group kills

Each team kill = -1 to both player death and plane loss

Once you dead.. everything turns to zero.

Simple as that http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

V!
Regards,

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/ivan-reaper.gif

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

XyZspineZyX
01-30-2004, 02:16 PM
I agree it should be server editable.

In general, the way it is now is fairly well done: you get much fewer points per kill if you fail to make it home yourself.

However, depending on the scenario, it'd be nice to have some flexibility. You could create a scenario with ground targets, and place a greater premium for bombers destroyed than fighters, hoping to tempt interceptors to do their job instead of looking for a furball to dive into.

Also, you can explore "unbalanced" situations, like 1945, where the Germans should be outnumbered 4-1 routinely...you'd think the Russians should score less for a German plane shot down, and the Germans should get a premium if they're lucky enough to survive and take one of the Red (or Blue) Allied horde with them.

Some people fly for score and others don't care. But I think it *can* be used as a tool that adds some flavor to the proceedings; right now, many feel it's just arbitrary.