PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion of making game better

pzrshrek
08-25-2004, 09:48 PM
I though that if the game would disadvance you if using time compression, it will make people play on realistic *1 or perhaps up to *2 timecompression level during play.

All to premiere an as realistic game as possible, thus making missions longer and therefore lengthening the games life alot.

Example, the lower timecompression the better all stations will get, lookouts spotting better etc. And manual control should be the best, where you can use the sonar to ping targets that wouldnt be detectable otherwise.

Once the alarm for battle stations is sounded, there is another deal ofcourse. Meaning an careful commander would safely submerge in time on occasions and the casual player have to deal with destroyers pinpointing you before crew react. Or something like that.

My father told me (he is an Uboat fanatic) that he was SO dissapointed that timecompression even existed as an option in the game hehe. Well, one have to draw ze line somewhere :-)

...just something to premiere the careful player who sits long streaks on *1 timecompression, so we dont kill the gamefeeling to much. It doesnt have to have much impact of the game, just *something*.

pzrshrek
08-25-2004, 09:48 PM
I though that if the game would disadvance you if using time compression, it will make people play on realistic *1 or perhaps up to *2 timecompression level during play.

All to premiere an as realistic game as possible, thus making missions longer and therefore lengthening the games life alot.

Example, the lower timecompression the better all stations will get, lookouts spotting better etc. And manual control should be the best, where you can use the sonar to ping targets that wouldnt be detectable otherwise.

Once the alarm for battle stations is sounded, there is another deal ofcourse. Meaning an careful commander would safely submerge in time on occasions and the casual player have to deal with destroyers pinpointing you before crew react. Or something like that.

My father told me (he is an Uboat fanatic) that he was SO dissapointed that timecompression even existed as an option in the game hehe. Well, one have to draw ze line somewhere :-)

...just something to premiere the careful player who sits long streaks on *1 timecompression, so we dont kill the gamefeeling to much. It doesnt have to have much impact of the game, just *something*.

SailorSteve
08-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Nothing stops you from using 1x all the time. I personally don't like sitting for six to eight weeks real time just to play one war patrol.

I don't even want to sit in front of the screen for five to six hours while playing European Air War, or two hours playing Red Baron, just to come home without ever seeing the enemy.

I'll admit, in SHII and DC I do go to 1x and just sit on the bridge looking at the stars and moon, and I usually don't use time compression in actual combat; but I've lived on a real warship, and trust me, it's BORING!

The poster said "Join The Navy, See The World". So I did, and I'm here to tell you, the world is flat and blue.

hauitsme
08-25-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm sorry, but I know of no one that has literally months of spare time to complete just one patrol, or even week or two to do just one mission, let alone the machine to be trusted to run continuously without crashing (you ever had one of your pets or kids accidently hit the power switch?). Maybe for a few hours at a time you would be at 1x, but I for one can't do any of the above. And why should I be penalized? Maybe as an option it could be done, but then who's in control while you sleep, work, or 'please' the wife or girlfriend? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/hauitsme/beatnik.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/hauitsme/KillerTomato-1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/hauitsme/KillerTomato-2.jpg

HeibgesU999
08-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Yep, an 8 week war patrol is impossible without good time compression.

Teddy Bar
08-25-2004, 11:01 PM
pzrshrek,
No disrespect, I fail to see where this makes the game more realistic.

Being very generous at 2 hours a day for Monday to Friday we have 10 hours. The weekend we will put in say 8 hours. So for the week we have 18 hours, or .75 of a day. It would take 9 weeks to play out one week.

I do not think that I should be punished for not having the same free time as say your father. Thankfully this is not the case and both your father and myself can enjoy the game the way that we wish, him at 1x and myself, well normally at 512 to 1024x

Cheers,

Teddy B├┬Ąr

pzrshrek
08-25-2004, 11:20 PM
Ops, don't get me wrong here, i am not referring to the entire patrol, just after the arrival to the designated target zone, whereas enemy sightings is expected.

I wouldnt either wanan sit for 6 weeks and play a single mission, but on the other hand i dont wanna burn away a single mission in 30 miutes either :P

Paximus14
08-26-2004, 12:08 AM
As I was reading this post, a vision came to my head for the step above the "hardcore" realism setting. In this "you need mental help" setting, you start your patrol in the morning before going to work, plotting in your course and such, and you leave the computer for what real life becons. Upon the inevitable aircraft attack or enemy sighting, SH3 is programmed to outdial on your modem to your mobile phone and alert you of the boat's status.

"Hello, Herr Kaleun, your boat is currently under air attack..."

"To crash dive, press '1'"

"Please enter your 2 to 3 digit depth order at the tone"

Hey, people have their fantasy sports stats sent to their phone! Besides, this is the same as having a radio controlled sub.

This way you can do your patrol on 1X time compression and never miss a beat http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

WTE_Sikshoota
08-26-2004, 05:27 AM
S` Guys

I can see your point with this Pzrshrek, but I don't feel its necessary. Most ppl will still choose as to when they want to time compress, which probably won't be when there is a chance of any action nearby anyway. The idea has merit only for those who want it full real. It would therefore seem to be a penalty for all others.

Hey Pax, I like your idea best!

rofl
lol
hehe

Finally, a good use for the mobile phones eh http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Press one to dive... lol http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif))

Cheers http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Sik

TASKFORCE1x1
08-26-2004, 07:58 AM
If we get lifeboats I would like then to have time compression than being overlooked and stuck at sea for 27 days or more LOL http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Keep on Smiling'

Charos
12-31-2004, 01:46 AM
Double Post

Charos
12-31-2004, 01:56 AM
I found this over at SIMHQ:

"Q. Will the time compression drop to a lower speed when A. a vessel/aircraft is detected or B. a vessel/aircraft is near? Will the player have the ability to adjust what speed the compression drops to for these instances?

A. The time compression will drop to normal (1:1) whenever a vessel / aircraft is detected. There will be no option regarding adjustment of the time compression speed in these instances. A more limited time compression range will be available while under the restrictions like enemies nearby, if the player still wants to make things happen faster."

I play IL2 with my squad on full real (switch) settings and that is how I planned to play the Campaign in SH3 IE: with 1X speed not useing compression.
Perhaps im not normal but the more realistic the better. I find with SIMS the more time you spend leading up to the action makes your decisions and actions vastly changed compared to going at warp speed or utilising arcade settings, thats just me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Does this mean I cant play the game in real time as the game wont Halt if the enemy is spotted by my crew? (I do have to consider sleep and my real job so I can pay for a PC and SH3 to begin with).
For me with compression I will miss the long hours/days/weeks of nothingness and then the sudden rush of something happening.

All I wish is to be able to HALT the game when a threat is detected by my crew rather than go to 1X game speed because I will already BE at 1X game speed.

I have several PC's and leaveing SH3 running 24*7 is not a problem, I will enjoy micro manageing my crew and daily Trim dives etc.

I just hope SH3 caters for the players who like to do things as realistic as possible with the limitations of a computer of course.

Dominicrigg
12-31-2004, 06:12 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Messervy
12-31-2004, 06:52 AM
WTA Sikshoota wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Finally, a good use for the mobile phones eh <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Daily news:
"Today a German U-xxx was lost because a player ran out of battery on his mobile phone and was therefore unable to issue orders to his crew. He was however notified of an approaching Sunderland just prior to his battery went flat.
The player suffered a nervous brakdown and is being hospitalized in a city hospital.
The victims familly told the reporter that this is a tragedy since they all invested massive amount of time in helping him play SH 3 in real time. They also said he has been on patrol for 3 months and that the sinking took place in the Indian ocean.
The doctor in a city hospital also said that this is not the only case. Last Friday they treated a person for simmilar dissorder. A man was brought to hospital soaking wet in "sea watter" wearing nothing but a U-boat captains hat and a pair of Zeis binoculars. His identity is still unknown. The only words he had spoken is "wasser bomben" and he kept repeating this for the period of two days.
The city meyer mr. H.F. Asdic and his deputy mr D.F. Sonar expresed their utmost concern on the matter and have allready contacted UbiSoft and Voodafone in order to prevent a serious outbrake of this virtual epidemics."
More news to come.

SubSaint
12-31-2004, 08:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Messervy:

Daily news:
"Today a German U-xxx was lost because a player ran out of battery on his mobile phone and was therefore unable to issue orders to his crew. He was however notified of an approaching Sunderland just prior to his battery went flat.
The player suffered a nervous brakdown and is being hospitalized in a city hospital.
The victims familly told the reporter that this is a tragedy since they all invested massive amount of time in helping him play SH 3 in real time. They also said he has been on patrol for 3 months and that the sinking took place in the Indian ocean.
The doctor in a city hospital also said that this is not the only case. Last Friday they treated a person for simmilar dissorder. A man was brought to hospital soaking wet in "sea watter" wearing nothing but a U-boat captains hat and a pair of Zeis binoculars. His identity is still unknown. The only words he had spoken is "wasser bomben" and he kept repeating this for the period of two days.
The city meyer mr. H.F. Asdic and his deputy mr D.F. Sonar expresed their utmost concern on the matter and have allready contacted UbiSoft and Voodafone in order to prevent a serious outbrake of this virtual epidemics."
More news to come. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahahahhahahhahaha ....oh god i'm still laughing out loud...hahahhaha ..that was fantastic Messervy. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Messervy
12-31-2004, 10:39 AM
Two more instances of SH III virus as it is officially called now.

An elevator incident
In the National Bank tower a man in the elevator suddenly bursted into a rage and had to be subdued by fellow passanger. Witnesses said the man was stareing into an elevator dial as they made their descent from a lounge at the top. Suddenlly he turned pale and started to shout. The witnesses reported it sounded German.
Latter it was descovered the man shouted ANBLASEN and tried to reach a hatch leading towards the roof of the elevator.

First casualties of SH lll virus
The second incident happened downtown on the city tram as the driver rang a bell in order to warn an elderly woman who was crossing a trams track. Two man in their mid thirties than started a mad dash towards the front of the tram urging everyone to follow while shouting: quote
ALAAAARM! FLuuuuteeeen! Alle Manner voraauuuuuss!
Diesel auskoppeln.. auf E-Maschienen umschalten...
In the panic that followed three passangers were slightly injured.

The authorities issued a bulletin containing crucial words in order to spot the viral sindromes prior to seisure and to prevent simmilar incidents.
Here is the list of words:

Beide maschinen au├čerste kraft voraus = Both engines ahead flank (or all the power ahead)
Beide maschinen gro├če fahrt voraus = Both engines ahead full (or great speed ahead)
Beide maschinen halbe fahrt voraus = Both engines ahead standard (or half speed ahead)
Beide maschinen langsame fahrt voraus = Both engines ahead one third (or slow speed ahead)
Beide maschinen kleine fahrt voraus = Both engines ahead slow (or little speed ahead)
Schleichfahrt... beide maschinen kleine fahrt (voraus oder zur├╝ck) 50 Ulmin. = Silent running... both engines (ahead or back) slow 50rpm
Beide maschinen stopp = Both engines stop
Beide maschinen kleine fahrt zur├╝ck = Both engines back slow (or little speed back)
Beide maschinen langsame fahrt zur├╝ck = Both engines back one third (or slow speed back)
Beide maschinen halbe fahrt zur├╝ck = Both engines back standard (or half speed back)
Beide maschinen au├čerste kraft zur├╝ck = Both engines back emergency (or all the power back)

Klarmachen zum tauchen! Einsteigen! = Stand by to submerge! All hands in!
Alarm!! = Alarm!! (assumed by the crew as a crash dive)
Auftauchen! = Surface!
Anblasen! = Blow ballast!
Auf seerohr tiefe gehen = Go to periscope depth
Auf 000 meter gehen = Go to 000 metres

Hart backbord = Hard to port
Backbord null (0) = 0 degrees to port
Mitschiffs = Rudder amidships
Steuerbord null (0) = 0 degrees to starboard
Hart steuerbord = Hard to starboard
Auf null (0) grad gehen = Steer to 0 degrees

Fire sequence (in the correct order):
Auf gefechtstationen! = Battle stations!
Rohr eins bis sechs der wasser (i'm not very sure of this one) = Flood tubes one to six
M├╝ndungsklappen ├┬Âffnen = Open torpedo doors
Gegnerfahrt null (0) = Target speed 0
Bug links = Bow to the left
Bug rechts = Bow to the right
Lage null (0) = Bearing 0
Entfernung null (0) = Distance 0
Tiefe null (0) = Depth 0
Torpedogeshwindigkeit null (0) = Torpedo speed 0
F├┬Ącherschu├č rohr eins und zwei = Spread shot from one and two
Ausbreitungswinkel null (0) fahrt = Spread angle 0
Rohr eins bis sechs sind klar zum ├╝ber/unterwasserschu├č = Tubes one to six are ready for a surfaced/submerged shot
Rohr eins... rohr eins... los!... los! = Tube one... tube one... fire!... fire!
Rohr zwei... rohr zwei... los!... los! = Tube two... tube two... fire!... fire!
Rohr drei... rohr drei... los!... los! = Tube three... tube three... fire!... fire!
Rohr vier... rohr vier... los!... los! = Tube four... tube four... fire!... fire!
Rohr f├╝nf... rohr f├╝nf... los!... los! = Tube five... tube five... fire!... fire!
Rohr sechs... rohr sechs... los!... los! = Tube six... tube six... fire!... fire!
M├╝ndungsklappen schlie├čen = Close torpedo doors

Courtesy of MixMartes86 Institute.