PDA

View Full Version : Parachute deployment

BennyMoore
05-21-2004, 10:31 PM
When you bail out, your foolish pilot automatically pulls the ripcord. Both in the game and in real life, this is akin to suicide. You will instantly be killed by any flak in the region. You should be able to pull it at will, like in real life, so that you can pull it at the last moment and save yourself from the flak. For paratroopers, this may be realistic, as they had their ripcords attached to the aircraft. Pilots, on the other hand, did not, and were in fact instructed not to pull the ripcord immediately after bailing, for the very reason that I have stated.

In addition, the pilots in IL-2 are way, way too fragile. I'm a pretty wimpy guy, but I've survived things without ever having broken bones that always kill the IL-2 pilots. Not only do they always die when jumping from an airplane taxiing slower than a bicycle can go, but they die from falls of the sort that even children take on a regular basis. In the Pe-8, if you are sitting still on the ground and you bail out, at least one of the gunners will be killed from the fall. This is stupid!

BennyMoore
05-21-2004, 10:31 PM
When you bail out, your foolish pilot automatically pulls the ripcord. Both in the game and in real life, this is akin to suicide. You will instantly be killed by any flak in the region. You should be able to pull it at will, like in real life, so that you can pull it at the last moment and save yourself from the flak. For paratroopers, this may be realistic, as they had their ripcords attached to the aircraft. Pilots, on the other hand, did not, and were in fact instructed not to pull the ripcord immediately after bailing, for the very reason that I have stated.

In addition, the pilots in IL-2 are way, way too fragile. I'm a pretty wimpy guy, but I've survived things without ever having broken bones that always kill the IL-2 pilots. Not only do they always die when jumping from an airplane taxiing slower than a bicycle can go, but they die from falls of the sort that even children take on a regular basis. In the Pe-8, if you are sitting still on the ground and you bail out, at least one of the gunners will be killed from the fall. This is stupid!

lindyman
05-22-2004, 01:52 AM
I've always found it odd that ground troops fire flak at a parachutist, especially when there are still enemy planes in the air.

It seems like such a waste. The shells can be spent on better things, and the pilot is extremely likely to become a POW anyway.

Regardless of that, however, I agree with you, and I would even if the flak wasn't an issue. The reason is that I've quite often had my parachute ripped apart by my own plane. Had I been able to control when to deploy the parachute, I would've waited until I was well clear of the thing.
_
/Bjorn.

LuckyBoy1
05-22-2004, 02:12 AM
Let's see... this game is supposed to like, try to simulate the real. Maybe in a training flight you'd do everything perfect. While getting your six shot off http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif , I'd guess the training would get edited severely! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Still, in the scheme of things... isn't this a rather small issue. Did you ever consider that having more options means loading down our PC's even more? It just seems to me to be two very small glasses of whine to go with a great game.

Solutions for internet security & spyware problems... http://www.geocities.com/callingelvis911/s_s.html

Luckyboy = Senior hydraulic landing gear designer for the P-11 & Contributing Editor to Complete Users magazine.

lindyman
05-22-2004, 03:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
Did you ever consider that having more options means loading down our PC's even more? It just seems to me to be two very small glasses of whine to go with a great game.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's see now. Going backwards, yes it's a very very small issue, and no, it doesn't make or break the game. I wouldn't call it a whine, even, just a small suggestion to make a small improvement.

As for more options, well, in the general case you're of course right, but let's have a look at the current state of affairs.

The the computer rips the cord after a certain time has passed, and you're below a certain altitude. This means that there are two things that the computer must keep track of, which does consume CPU cycles. Not many, for sure, but a few. If we relieve the computer of that exceptionally minor burden and put it on the player, you have not made things worse.

With respect to flak, I think if they shot at planes instead of parachutists, the computer would have fewer targets to track, which probably would lower the burden on the comuter a bit.
_
/Bjorn.

LuckyBoy1
05-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Very good point and on reflection, I guess you might be right, but who knows how slightly it would change the demands on our PC's. The real point here is that it is a very, very small issue at best and represents yet another small whine when very big, very easy to fix problems persist in the game. Take for instance the P-47 bomb loadout. It has two 500 lb bombs on the wings, not two 1,000 lb bombs like in real life. Do we get the flight characteristics of just two 500 pounders? No, we get the full, lumbering load characteristics without the punch of the larger bombs. Let's try to keep some perspective and not whine for very small things.

Solutions for internet security & spyware problems... http://www.geocities.com/callingelvis911/s_s.html

Luckyboy = Senior hydraulic landing gear designer for the P-11 & Contributing Editor to Complete Users magazine.

actionhank1786
05-22-2004, 12:03 PM
i've had a few fun experiences with planes and parachutes, mostly with them exploding 2 feet away from me when i jump clear, but my all time favorite, was getting raked by AAA as i went up, and into a flat spin, so i jumped out, my plane continues in the upward manner, and then i get clear and pull my chute...then my plane decided it wanted to play more, so it came down and landed on me...stupid plane
~Aaron

LuckyBoy1
05-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Also, as far as the AAA going for the pilot thing. Well, in real life they were much more interested in taking pilots, especially experienced pilots out of the fight. Could they have captured him? Probably... and wasted time and men and fuel doing so. The last thing they wanted to risk was facing an enemy pilot who had learned from his experience getting shot down. Welcome to total war!

Yes, pilots not only got tangled in their plane while escaping, they also have been hit later on by their wandering, pilotless plane. Some even jumped without the chute or having it tied to their body! Whoah! that's not going to grow back!

WereSnowleopard
05-23-2004, 05:14 PM
Like saying how save yourself from shark attack is bring slow swimmer with you. So you are free from flak attack as they are too busy targeting parachute as you fly away or attack safe. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif

lindyman
05-24-2004, 12:40 AM
True indeed, unfortunatley. I was thinking that if you have the slightest worry that flak shells might get short in supply, you don't want to spend them on something that's not likely to cause harm, unlike enemy planes buzzing your neighbourhood, which will cause harm. However, if you have them in infinite supply, or at least think you do, matters become rather different.
_
/Bjorn.

BennyMoore
05-27-2004, 10:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
Yes, pilots not only got tangled in their plane while escaping, they also have been hit later on by their wandering, pilotless plane.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, in real life this happened, but it usually happened if the pilot was stupid and instantly pulled his ripcord. Which wasn't that common in real life, I think... Which the stupid game forces you to do every single time...

Moveover, the fact is that most pilots that successfully bailed from their aircraft over enemy territory were not shot out of the sky, but were rather made prisoners of war! This may be because they did not instantly pull their ripcord, or it may be because ground forces did not often shoot at parachutes. Either way, the game is wrong, because in the game both factors always exist. Which is obviously unrealistic...

It's no small issue. Do you call certain death each and every time you bail near an enemy airfield, enemy ships, or in fact any enemy ground forces a minor issue? I sure as hell don't, and I think you mad if you do.

Oh, there's one more thing that suggests that flak gunners did not shoot at parachutes. I not heard a single story of it being done, but I have heard many hundreds of stories about pilots being made prisoner or evading enemy forces and making it back to base. While I've read statements by German aces about being shot down over certain places in Russia equalling certain death by the hands of ground forces, each instance I have read about has been after capture, not in the sky.