PDA

View Full Version : In hindsight, what do you guys think of Arno?

Zero_Regen
05-13-2015, 06:33 AM
Now that we're at the announcement of the newest AC, Syndicate, thinking back what do you guys think of Arno now that some time has passed? Personally, I think he was a great character and I really just wanted more of him. The only thing I seem to like about Jacob more is his more solid support of the creed, but we haven't seen much of him at all. Thanks to any opinions left below!

TexasCaesar
05-13-2015, 06:52 AM
How do we know, yet, that Jacob is more loyal? It seemed to me, based on the trailers, that he's just kind of a thug who's building up his own base under the Assassin flag.

SixKeys
05-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Not enough time for hindsight. It's only been less than a year. Come back in about 3 years, it took that long for many people to change their minds about Connor.

Legendz54
05-13-2015, 01:56 PM
Arno was rather forgettable.

Namikaze_17
05-13-2015, 02:26 PM
I didn't care for him at first, but I've grown to him. Like Cunner, he just suffered from a terrible launch and massive hype that the game didn't live up to.

GunnerGalactico
05-13-2015, 06:20 PM
Like Connor, I didn't really like or cared much about Arno at first. I only started liking him as I progressed through the game.

I guess I tend to like characters that people constantly piss on. :rolleyes:

rrebe
05-13-2015, 06:29 PM
Like Connor, I didn't really like or cared much about Arno at first. I only started liking him as I progressed through the game.

I guess I like characters that people constantly piss on. :rolleyes:

someone has to support the underdogs too :rolleyes:

And yeah, I was the same, I liked Arno (and Connor) more the further I progressed in the game
I'd say he is in my top3 of assassins.

GunnerGalactico
05-13-2015, 06:41 PM
someone has to support the underdogs too :rolleyes:.

Hell yeah! :cool:

UncappedWheel82
05-13-2015, 08:49 PM
Arno was Ezio only not as interesting. Their was nothing special about him IMO.

m4r-k7
05-13-2015, 08:50 PM
Arno sequence 1 - 3 was awesome. Arno sequence 4 and above was an unforgettable and bland character.

EmptyCrustacean
05-13-2015, 08:55 PM
Not enough time for hindsight. It's only been less than a year. Come back in about 3 years, it took that long for many people to change their minds about Connor.

No, I'm pretty sure people still hate him lol

EmptyCrustacean
05-13-2015, 08:56 PM
Arno sequence 1 - 3 was awesome. Arno sequence 4 and above was an unforgettable and bland character.

Those are the sequences before he undergoes his 'change', right? That was definitely the best part of the game.
You know, before the weaknesses of the 'story' settled in.

m4r-k7
05-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Those are the sequences before he undergoes his 'change', right? That was definitely the best part of the game.
You know, before the weaknesses of the 'story' settled in.

Well, his character initially was great. He was incredibly sarcastic which I loved. Then his character just died.. I mean the story continued but his whole characterization ended. Its like he just suddenly turned into a bland character.

Civona
05-13-2015, 09:11 PM
he's better in french, and I like the way his character ends up after Dead Kings, but found him pretty jerkish for most of Unity.

Kaschra
05-13-2015, 09:16 PM

Pretty much the same for me. I liked him at first, but after Sequence 3 I just... stopped caring about him. He became so bland and uninteresting.
And now he is my least favourite AC protagonist.

EmbodyingSeven5
05-13-2015, 09:23 PM
meh

Journey95
05-13-2015, 09:26 PM
meh didn't care for him at all, a bad Ezio clone

And especially after Edward (who was one of the best protags in the series) he was a complete disappointment

Xstantin
05-13-2015, 09:36 PM
He was ok

Hans684
05-13-2015, 10:16 PM
Waste of time

VoXngola
05-14-2015, 01:01 AM
Who?

Charles_Phipps
05-14-2015, 01:40 PM
I never quite figured out what Arno's bag is.

He spent the entirety of his assassin career trying to avenge his dead Templar fosterfather.

Which is weird given the Templars murdered his biological dad.

D.I.D.
05-14-2015, 02:16 PM

He spent the entirety of his assassin career trying to avenge his dead Templar fosterfather.

Which is weird given the Templars murdered his biological dad.

I think his motivation was meant to be a mixture of his feelings for Élise and his worries that a gulf that had widened between them over his assassin heritage and his indirect role in Élise's father's death. There's a sense that he is motivated to put things right as well as he can do, in the hope that it would mend the problems between them.

VestigialLlama4
05-14-2015, 02:28 PM

That is actually my feeling too. I get that some people who liked UNITY and Arno feel that he's been overly badgered, and as someone who likes Connor, I understand that.

But the main thing is that with Arno what you see is what you get. There's no real ambiguity or edge to him.

Like with Altair you have the question if he was right to hold on to that Apple or not, you question his decisions because he's a fascinating character. With Ezio you wonder if he was vengeance obsessed or someone who wised up, if his decision to spare Rodrigo was right or wrong, you question the excessive devotions to Lorenzo de'Medici, the erratic behaviour in Revelations. With Connor, there's the question if he's too idealistic, or too naive, if he was a moron for trusting Washington or a hothead for turning down his Dad. With Edward you never know if he ever stopped being a Pirate, if he actually redeemed himself, if he was a good father to Haytham and Jenny. The fact is these are all characters who did some stuff, made choices and lived with those consequences. Like Ezio feels he never really chose the life of the Assassin and he feels he's honoring his family more than himself and he never finds that time to retire, ("I knew I wouldn't have time to do everything. Now I fear I wouldn't have time to do anything.")

With Arno, what is his edge? Should he or should he not have killed Bellec? But Bellec said he would kill Elise. Was he right in trying to stop Elise from being killed? But Elise got killed and didn't kill the bad guy anyway. Was Arno right to kill the Templars, well they are all evil jerks. There's never any ambiguity ot question about any of his actions. Even the one time where he kills like Lafreniere is presented as a "moral lesson" and honest mistake without real consequences really. Arno is just...there, he's the guy who is right but nobody listens to him, and who because nobody listens to him, goes get drunk and cries like a baby. That's not an interesting character to play really. He's fairly passive. He's a supporting character in a leading character's shoes. Then you know the whole reason why he's an Assassin is totally contrived. He feels guilty about Francois's death but he's not actually guilty, he didn't really do anything wrong or careless. He blames himself for no reason, its just a weird "missed by this much" letter rather than say "Arno was investigating his biological Dad's death and in the process of trying to get revenge caused his Adopted Dad" to die. So there's no real motivation for him to be an Assassin. The truth is Unity is Elise's story, its about a Templar girl who wants to avenge her family and uses her Assassin boyfriend to do grunt work, and ideally for the game's message about "fanaticism, extremism, obsession" to have any bearing the leading character should be fanatic, extreme and obsessive. Arno isn't any of the three.

If they did an Arno sequel, they could have made him into a darker character I feel. There are hints in DEAD KINGS but its not taken any further.

Deezl-V
05-14-2015, 02:37 PM
Arno was rather forgettable.

Who?

Charles_Phipps
05-14-2015, 04:40 PM
I totally agree.

Why does Arno join the Assassins?

Because, literally, he had nowhere else to go.

Really impressive motivation there.

Hans684
05-14-2015, 05:19 PM
I totally agree.

Why does Arno join the Assassins?

Because, literally, he had nowhere else to go.

Really impressive motivation there.

He needed to get his head out of his own arce.