PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate the Grappling Hook in AC Syndicate

The_Kiwi_
05-13-2015, 03:21 AM
There have always been a few things in AC that don't make sense realistically; the hidden blade design has been a mystery, and doesn't make apparent sense, but at least there are explanations that do make it seem plausible, and then the Leaps of Faith, which I don't think there are any explanations for, but that I could look past.
But, this grappling hook from AC Syndicate just pushes the boundaries of realism for me...

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2n8yexw.jpg

1. That "hook" could never feasibly grab onto something, especially from such great distances. Embedding it into a surface definitely wouldn't work, as the weight of Jacob would instantly dislodge it, and it wrapping around something doesn't seem likely at all, but lets assume it could...

2. That thin wire could never hold the weight of Jacob. There are 3 scenarios that would happen here:
a. the wire breaks when in use
b. the wire breaks free from the "hook"
c. the hook and wire remain intact, but it yanks the gauntlet off Jacob's arm

3. Again, assuming that the hook can hold onto something and the wire can withstand Jacob's weight, there is the problem with the mechanical power needed to make it work. The TV show Mythbusters tested grappling hooks, and found that the power needed to shoot a wire strong enough to hold a man, along with a strong enough hook, was extremely high (they needed a 30,000rpm motor) Something this powerful could never fit on your wrist, especially in the 1860s. Further reading about their findings here (http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2007/08/episode_86_superhero_hour.html)

So, in summation, that hook could never hold onto anything, that wire could never support anything, and the power needed to use a grappling hook that could work is far too great to fit on a tiny, hidden wrist device.

As Alphacos and I discussed, the only feasible thing possible with this device would be swinging. If the device was reinforced enough, it might be able to hold the weight of a man in free fall, but I still don't believe that the grappling hook design given could manage that feat.

eaglefan129
05-13-2015, 03:32 AM
Oh it's a video game..it shouldn't be taken seriously.

TexasCaesar
05-13-2015, 03:39 AM
I have an objection to the grappling hook, but it's on the basis of gameplay, not realism. Making things easier doesn't always make them better. If you can just zip around, that really takes the challenge and fun out of natural parkour. Remember how rewarding it used to be to finally get up a huge tower in the Ezio trilogy, and then do the leap of faith off of it?

I think grappling hooks, if present, should be used in two ways: quickly shimming up a surface (not being pulled by it) or swinging off of a pole. That would be enough.

The_Kiwi_
05-13-2015, 03:47 AM
I have an objection to the grappling hook, but it's on the basis of gameplay, not realism. Making things easier doesn't always make them better. If you can just zip around, that really takes the challenge and fun out of natural parkour. Remember how rewarding it used to be to finally get up a huge tower in the Ezio trilogy, and then do the leap of faith off of it?

I think grappling hooks, if present, should be used in two ways: quickly shimming up a surface (not being pulled by it) or swinging off of a pole. That would be enough.

That too
The hook does negate the need to climb
It should be used more along the lines of the hookblade, which took good timing to use effectively, but didn't negate the need to climb overall
And the hookblade makes sense realistically, it's just one part hook one part blade :rolleyes:

SixKeys
05-13-2015, 04:21 AM
Parkouring up buildings has always been a staple of the series, now they're making it so you can quickly pull yourself up there. Combat is faster and we have carriage chases. It's almost like even the devs are getting bored of the series. They want to make everything faster so you can just get the game over with in less time. http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/nonchalance.png

Moonshadow20222
05-13-2015, 04:29 AM
Hmm. You make some good points, but I believe my associate here can explain why the hook is warranted, nay, ESSENTIAL to the game series. I think you will find her argument to be quite compelling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWwYE7P55Wg

Ureh
05-13-2015, 04:30 AM
Did they mention anywhere if the rope launcher runs on ammo? like we gotta refill the ropes or something, that way we can't spam it until we get the full upgrades. I like the idea that assassins are evolving with the times but the launcher looks like it wants to wipe out parkour. Maybe we won't get the launcher until halfway through the game or something... *shrugs*

btw when you guys mentioned the hook blade it reminded me of this:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/136/9/c/zipline_by_zekarmisama-d3ghfco.jpg
edit - source (http://kaxen6.deviantart.com/art/Zipline-209085432)

The_Kiwi_
05-13-2015, 04:43 AM
^That exact depiction is another gripe of mine.
The grappling hook can just as easily rip the gauntlet off Jacob's arm instead of hoisting him up

Hmm. You make some good points, but I believe my associate here can explain why the hook is warranted, nay, ESSENTIAL to the game series. I think you will find her argument to be quite compelling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWwYE7P55Wg

She may think it's essential, but it doesn't make it any less unrealistic

Moonshadow20222
05-13-2015, 05:17 AM
^That exact depiction is another gripe of mine.
The grappling hook can just as easily rip the gauntlet off Jacob's arm instead of hoisting him up

She may think it's essential, but it doesn't make it any less realistic

If living in a world without grappling hooks is realistic, I'd rather be fictional!

*fires grappling hook and ziplines up at a ninety degree angle*

GRAPPLING HOOOOOOOOK!

Civona
05-13-2015, 05:44 AM
Explain to me how assassins climb with a hidden blade on their wrist without accidentally triggering it and stabbing themselves in the hand, since it's supposedly controlled by tensing a forearm muscle or flicking your wrist.

Explain to me how assassins constructed so many weird moving block puzzles using the building materials of their time in famous landmarks without arousing suspicion.

Show me the scientific evidence that DNA holds our memories, and after you've finished doing that explain to me why all the ancestors in these games sometimes seem to have clear memories of what people were saying a few seconds before they entered a room.

This series is grounded in reality, but it is not realistic and has never been. This is consistent with that.

The fact of the matter is that this series' core gameplay was built around being able to get up buildings quickly, and the scale of those buildings we must get up quickly now demand more speed and agility than ever before. Not to mention the wider streets that require a bridge between easily traversable areas. I hope that it doesn't make the unassisted parkour useless, but it seems to me that would still have its place in precision navigation: sometimes you don't want to go straight up or straight across: sometimes you want to delicately re-position yourself, reach the ground, or enter a window.

The problem with the Hookblade was that it complicated the flow of the existing movement rather than being either a true alternative way of movement. It was halfway between, whereas this mechanic seems to commit to being an actual Thing. Time will tell if it's a Well Executed Thing, but in concept it seems sound.

I-Like-Pie45
05-13-2015, 05:46 AM
kiwi I need someone to babysit my cat

are you willing to volunteer

The_Kiwi_
05-13-2015, 05:58 AM
Explain to me how assassins climb with a hidden blade on their wrist without accidentally triggering it and stabbing themselves in the hand, since it's supposedly controlled by tensing a forearm muscle or flicking your wrist.

Explain to me how assassins constructed so many weird moving block puzzles using the building materials of their time in famous landmarks without arousing suspicion.

Show me the scientific evidence that DNA holds our memories, and after you've finished doing that explain to me why all the ancestors in these games sometimes seem to have clear memories of what people were saying a few seconds before they entered a room.

This series is grounded in reality, but it is not realistic and has never been. This is consistent with that.

The fact of the matter is that this series' core gameplay was built around being able to get up buildings quickly, and the scale of those buildings we must get up quickly now demand more speed and agility than ever before. Not to mention the wider streets that require a bridge between easily traversable areas. I hope that it doesn't make the unassisted parkour useless, but it seems to me that would still have its place in precision navigation: sometimes you don't want to go straight up or straight across: sometimes you want to delicately re-position yourself, reach the ground, or enter a window.

The problem with the Hookblade was that it complicated the flow of the existing movement rather than being either a true alternative way of movement. It was halfway between, whereas this mechanic seems to commit to being an actual Thing. Time will tell if it's a Well Executed Thing, but in concept it seems sound.

See, you think you're proving me wrong, but you're actually proving me correct

The things you listed have not been proven to be possible, but also have not proven to be impossible
Just because we don't know how that stuff works doesn't mean it's impossible

But we have proven that the grappling hook is impossible, so your "argument" is actually irrelevant

------

Found something else that annoys me
If the hook wraps itself around something for support, how does it become unravelled without aid?
I'd feel a little better about the whole thing if there was a reset/reload animation every time you use it

kiwi I need someone to babysit my cat

are you willing to volunteer

Yes I love cats, I volunteer

Civona
05-13-2015, 06:44 AM
See, you think you're proving me wrong, but you're actually proving me correct

The things you listed have not been proven to be possible, but also have not proven to be impossible
Just because we don't know how that stuff works doesn't mean it's impossible

But we have proven that the grappling hook is impossible, so your "argument" is actually irrelevant

------

Found something else that annoys me
If the hook wraps itself around something for support, how does it become unravelled without aid?
I'd feel a little better about the whole thing if there was a reset/reload animation every time you use it

Yes I love cats, I volunteer

There's this little thing called the "burden of proof". If you can't prove each of my examples are possible, you can't base your counter-argument on the possibility of them being possible.

If you could, I could just as easily assert that the grappling hook in question was built in an undetectably unique way way that would be functional in real life, but since the secret formula came from TWCB I can't demonstrate it. Fallacies aren't called fallacies because they improve the quality of conversation, you know.

All this fake made-up stuff is equally fake and made-up. You can't quantify degrees of made-upness, either something is made up or not.

Of course you can dislike the grappling hook's particular flavor of unrealism or decide that it breaks your suspension of disbelief, but do not pretend it is uniquely unrealistic. Just say it breaks your suspension of disbelief, since that's clearly what you intend to say.

pacmanate
05-13-2015, 07:45 AM
Its just a game...

The_Kiwi_
05-13-2015, 07:51 AM
There's this little thing called the "burden of proof". If you can't prove each of my examples are possible, you can't base your counter-argument on the possibility of them being possible.

If you could, I could just as easily assert that the grappling hook in question was built in an undetectably unique way way that would be functional in real life, but since the secret formula came from TWCB I can't demonstrate it. Fallacies aren't called fallacies because they improve the quality of conversation, you know.

All this fake made-up stuff is equally fake and made-up. You can't quantify degrees of made-upness, either something is made up or not.

Of course you can dislike the grappling hook's particular flavor of unrealism or decide that it breaks your suspension of disbelief, but do not pretend it is uniquely unrealistic. Just say it breaks your suspension of disbelief, since that's clearly what you intend to say.

Lol, the burden of proof is on you
You're the one making the claims by spouting all that nonsense about moving objects and hidden rooms, so you have to be the one to prove your argument
Since you can't do that, you are wrong
And since I have supported my claim with evidence, I don't need to disprove you

Don't use concepts that you don't understand

Its just a game...

IT'S NOT A PHASE, DAD

Shahkulu101
05-13-2015, 08:53 AM
We've jumped into haystacks from 1000ft...

I personally have no problem with the grappling hook. Games gon' be games man...

Also I don't object to the fact it negates the need to climb, because it only does so for small buildings and we still get to run across the rooftops. We'll still need to use climbing to scale the really massive landmarks but won't be slowed down when we want reach the top of smaller structures. It's not the death of all climbing in AC games, as some are insinuating...

The_Kiwi_
05-13-2015, 09:09 AM
We've jumped into haystacks from 1000ft...

I personally have no problem with the grappling hook. Games gon' be games man...

Also I don't object to the fact it negates the need to climb, because it only does so for small buildings and we still get to run across the rooftops. We'll still need to use climbing to scale the really massive landmarks but won't be slowed down when we want reach the top of smaller structures. It's not the death of all climbing in AC games, as some are insinuating...

You know, weirdly enough the thing that bothers me most about the haystacks isn't that they break falls from 1000ft with no damage, but the fact that you go inside the hay when you land on it
Ever tried to climb inside a bale of hay? Not easy :rolleyes:

When you say that you'll still need to climb the tall buildings, are you saying that the hook needs to reach the roof of a building to be able to pull you up it?
That's an interesting thought
From what I gathered from everyone's criticisms, you will be able to use the grapple to climb the entire building, as you could in ACR with the hookblade

Shahkulu101
05-13-2015, 09:19 AM
You know, weirdly enough the thing that bothers me most about the haystacks isn't that they break falls from 1000ft with no damage, but the fact that you go inside the hay when you land on it
Ever tried to climb inside a bale of hay? Not easy :rolleyes:

When you say that you'll still need to climb the tall buildings, are you saying that the hook needs to reach the roof of a building to be able to pull you up it?
That's an interesting thought
From what I gathered from everyone's criticisms, you will be able to use the grapple to climb the entire building, as you could in ACR with the hookblade

Yes I suspect that's how it works. I mean I doubt we can use the grappling hook while already attached to the face of buildings.

My idea of how it works is that you can use it once per climb and that's only enough to reach the top of small buildings. We still get a boost when beginning to climb landmarks but will have to climb the rest of the way. If it doesn't work like that and you can just grapple massive buildings without needing to actually climb, then it will suck. I really hope that's not the case.

Godz_Mercenary
05-13-2015, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I don't like it, this game is clearly taking inspiration from the Batman games. We will be getting capes to glide around in and explosive gel next.

ACZanius
05-13-2015, 10:29 AM
haters gonna hate lol

Fatal-Feit
05-13-2015, 11:08 AM
Parkouring up buildings has always been a staple of the series, now they're making it so you can quickly pull yourself up there. Combat is faster and we have carriage chases. It's almost like even the devs are getting bored of the series. They want to make everything faster so you can just get the game over with in less time. http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/nonchalance.png

I disagree.

Realism out of the way, I'm actually in favor of the grappling hook. I mean, have y'all seen the city (before he went into the mission zone)? No way in hell would normal parkour be practical. The buildings are too far apart and awfully tall. The grappling hook seems to be the devs' solution to filling the gap w/o breaking flow. If it was implemented in say, Unity's Paris, then I would agree, but I think it's a necessity for London.

SixKeys
05-13-2015, 12:58 PM
I disagree.

Realism out of the way, I'm actually in favor of the grappling hook. I mean, have y'all seen the city (before he went into the mission zone)? No way in hell would normal parkour be practical. The buildings are too far apart and awfully tall. The grappling hook seems to be the devs' solution to filling the gap w/o breaking flow. If it was implemented in say, Unity's Paris, then I would agree, but I think it's a necessity for London.

If a city doesn't lend itself well for parkour, maybe they shouldn't set an AC game there. Just a thought.

Since they are doing it though, I can agree with you from a gameplay POV. I only wish the grappling hook was more realistic. Not a tiny, assassin insignia-shaped thing attached to his wrist, but a big, hulking thing he has to carry strapped around his waist.

Sabutto
05-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Parkouring up buildings has always been a staple of the series, now they're making it so you can quickly pull yourself up there. Combat is faster and we have carriage chases. It's almost like even the devs are getting bored of the series. They want to make everything faster so you can just get the game over with in less time. http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/nonchalance.pngI was kinda thinking that too but maybe the hook comes with ammo? so you just cant spam it

Also it will let you get creative on how u play :p I already have a lot of ideas on how ill be using it

@OP: I think your taking it way too seriously .-.

D.I.D.
05-13-2015, 01:05 PM
I'm okay with it. People forget how useful the James Bond thing was in pulling you through the story. A big part of why you kept moving on to find the scrolls was the curiosity of seeing what Leonardo would give you next time, and the technology was always implausible and anachronistic. Gadgets are fun, and the most iconic weapon of the series is one of the silliest.

I don't think the hook is a threat to gameplay. It's essentially the same as rope lifts, except portable. Hopefully it has some limits - "ammo", a cool-down - but it's not necessarily going to ruin climbing even if it doesn't. Perhaps it's noisy, so it's a useful escape mechanism when you're caught but not a good choice if you want to get higher up without drawing attention.

Namikaze_17
05-13-2015, 01:19 PM
As Shahk & Pac have said, It's just a game. And with AC, realism has been left the building.

The_Kiwi_
05-13-2015, 02:28 PM
If a city doesn't lend itself well for parkour, maybe they shouldn't set an AC game there. Just a thought.

Since they are doing it though, I can agree with you from a gameplay POV. I only wish the grappling hook was more realistic. Not a tiny, assassin insignia-shaped thing attached to his wrist, but a big, hulking thing he has to carry strapped around his waist.

This
This exactly
I can't remember the last time I agreed with you 110%
And to expand on what you said, if the grappling hook had a reload time, that would make it feel like something you should use only in dire situations
"Is it worth using it and having to reload, or should I just climb?"

Alphacos007
05-13-2015, 02:33 PM
Ok kiwi, now your arguments are decent. Yesterday you just kept saying "impossible" without any further explanations.
Yea, the design itself is terrible for a hook, it would never work with such design, but it's all about beeing cool. Connor's tomahawk design is also impractical, if you hit something very hard with that, let's say, a tree, the tomahawk would clearly get screwed up, because even though very sharp, the tiny strip of metal wouldn't support such a strong blow. At least with the materials they had back in those days. Still, it was in the game and was pretty cool, and I don't see anyone complaining about it.
As a lot of people already said, it's just a game, and really, between some of the parkour moves, the leap of faiths, a golden orb that can control men's minds, and a sword that blinds everyone when hit, this is one of the less anti-realistic things you should worry about.

The_Kiwi_
05-13-2015, 02:36 PM
Ok kiwi, now your arguments are decent. Yesterday you just kept saying "impossible" without any further explanations.
Yea, the design itself is terrible for a hook, it would never work with such design, but it's all about beeing cool. Connor's tomahawk design is also impractical, if you hit something very hard with that, let's say, a tree, the tomahawk would clearly get screwed up, because even though very sharp, the tiny strip of metal wouldn't support such a strong blow. At least with the materials they had back in those days. Still, it was in the game and was pretty cool, and I don't see anyone complaining about it.
As a lot of people already said, it's just a game, and really, between some of the parkour moves, the leap of faiths, a golden orb that can control men's minds, and a sword that blinds everyone when hit, this is one of the less anti-realistic things you should worry about.

The reason I made this thread was because I felt like you didn't understand what I was saying
But I'm glad you see now

My mind just works too rationally, I'm having an immersion-breaking meltdown with this game
It's just become too cartoony for my taste

Hopefully with more information getting released, my mind will sway towards excitement

Alphacos007
05-13-2015, 02:42 PM
The thing is, you just kept saying that a hook was impossible, and it really isn't. It's actually completely possible, as I tryed to explain to you yesterday. The only issue here is the design of the gadget itself. If it were a proper hook, then there shouldn't be any major problems.
But yea, I hope we can't just spam it around, it would be good if it had a reload time or at least a maximum times of usages before you had to go to a store and purchase more gas or whatever it uses to launch itself.

The_Kiwi_
05-13-2015, 02:55 PM
The thing is, you just kept saying that a hook was impossible, and it really isn't. It's actually completely possible, as I tryed to explain to you yesterday. The only issue here is the design of the gadget itself. If it were a proper hook, then there shouldn't be any major problems.
But yea, I hope we can't just spam it around, it would be good if it had a reload time or at least a maximum times of usages before you had to go to a store and purchase more gas or whatever it uses to launch itself.

I meant that THE hook was impossible, as in the hook in the game
My apologies if it came across wrong

Bigodon
05-13-2015, 03:00 PM
Oh it's a video game..it shouldn't be taken seriously.

AND... this is so batman! how can someone hate this? lmfao :p

Xstantin
05-13-2015, 03:30 PM
I think it's fitting in a way. Industrial progress and all that, AC was never about super realistic weapons and gadgets imo

Kaptain_Sparrow
05-14-2015, 05:34 PM
The hook blade itself isn't that unrealistic: You just need immense amounts of energy and an unbreakable rope. Maybe they used some First Civilisation stuff...
But I really wonder how the zip lines are supposed to work ( https://youtu.be/3ZvQ72NDmeg?t=197 ). Where and how does he fix the rope at his position? Will lose the rope when he used it? Where does the rope go to (it seems to have disappeared)?
Maybe somebody of you has an explanation.

I really think that the hook blade is cool, but I hope that you aren't forced to use it all the time. Especially if you don't need "ammunition".

Charles_Phipps
05-14-2015, 06:14 PM
Steampunk batman!

Hans684
05-14-2015, 06:26 PM
Steampunk batman!

Gotham by gaslight

Charles_Phipps
05-14-2015, 06:28 PM
No, seriously, if it's Batman's Creed, I'm there.

Yes, it's completely ridiculous. You know what's also ridiculous? LANDING IN STRAW FROM 1000 FEET and walking away.

:-)

Kaptain_Sparrow
05-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Maybe it would be more realistic if they would just give us the parachutes from Brotherhood back. Would be fun to jump down from Big Ben and dive over London.
Okay, maybe it's a bit problematic to take several of those with you, but it's more realistic than this high-tech hook for sure.

The_Kiwi_
05-14-2015, 11:44 PM
A paraglider would be better

LoyalACFan
05-15-2015, 12:53 AM
Yeah, I really don't like it. I know the series has always been unrealistic, but this is just a bit much IMO. Especially that part in the demo where he shoots it out like Batman's line launcher to make a zipline, like how the **** is that supposed to work?

Hopefully we can go through the game without using it much.

rob.davies2014
05-15-2015, 02:21 AM
The hook blade itself isn't that unrealistic: You just need immense amounts of energy and an unbreakable rope. Maybe they used some First Civilisation stuff...
But I really wonder how the zip lines are supposed to work ( https://youtu.be/3ZvQ72NDmeg?t=197 ). Where and how does he fix the rope at his position? Will lose the rope when he used it? Where does the rope go to (it seems to have disappeared)?
Maybe somebody of you has an explanation.

I really think that the hook blade is cool, but I hope that you aren't forced to use it all the time. Especially if you don't need "ammunition".

I totally agree. I don't understand how the ziplining works with the rope launcher.

He should have to secure the end to the roof before jumping onto it... And does it stay there for later use? Confusing...

HDinHB
05-15-2015, 02:53 AM
I don't *hate* it, but I don't like it. I wish climbing was a little harder, not easier. In the older games you could feel that climbing took effort. But I understand other people don't like climbing, and if they want to websling up the wall, that's okay. I really don't understand the ziplining. How far can it shoot? How much rope can he carry? How does it attach at the start end?

When I said I wanted a grappling hook, I meant the old fashioned kind with a hook and a rope, not this contraption.

crusader_prophet
05-15-2015, 03:02 AM
Then why don't you all stop playing video games and just go out and pick gang fights if you want reality.

The_Kiwi_
05-15-2015, 03:13 AM
Yeah, I really don't like it. I know the series has always been unrealistic, but this is just a bit much IMO. Especially that part in the demo where he shoots it out like Batman's line launcher to make a zipline, like how the **** is that supposed to work?

Hopefully we can go through the game without using it much.

Finally, someone who sees it the way I do
Yes, there are some parts of the game that are unrealistic, but this grappling hook pushes it way too far, into the realm of cartoony
I'm hoping that you can either disable it, or that you don't automatically use it whenever you climb a building
It should be optional to use
I would hate it if just climbing up a building automatically uses the hook

shobhit7777777
05-18-2015, 12:31 PM
Gappling hooks is actually a nice addition...after so many games, the novelty of urban parkour has dimmed. Besides a quick getaway tool like the hook would open up new gameplay oppurtunities.

I do feel that freerunning/climbing could be made more compelling by maybe being less automated and by switching around the camera angles.

Splinter Cell Double Agent's MP did something cool with the way your third person spy navigated the map - press the interact button at the right time and he pulled off a slick parkour escape move *contextually* and if not, its the more vanilla jump-through-stuff move...with the right timing it felt very fluid.

Deezl-V
05-18-2015, 03:32 PM
There have always been a few things in AC that don't make sense realistically; the hidden blade design has been a mystery, and doesn't make apparent sense, but at least there are explanations that do make it seem plausible, and then the Leaps of Faith, which I don't think there are any explanations for, but that I could look past.
But, this grappling hook from AC Syndicate just pushes the boundaries of realism for me...

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2n8yexw.jpg

1. That "hook" could never feasibly grab onto something, especially from such great distances. Embedding it into a surface definitely wouldn't work, as the weight of Jacob would instantly dislodge it, and it wrapping around something doesn't seem likely at all, but lets assume it could...

2. That thin wire could never hold the weight of Jacob. There are 3 scenarios that would happen here:
a. the wire breaks when in use
b. the wire breaks free from the "hook"
c. the hook and wire remain intact, but it yanks the gauntlet off Jacob's arm

3. Again, assuming that the hook can hold onto something and the wire can withstand Jacob's weight, there is the problem with the mechanical power needed to make it work. The TV show Mythbusters tested grappling hooks, and found that the power needed to shoot a wire strong enough to hold a man, along with a strong enough hook, was extremely high (they needed a 30,000rpm motor) Something this powerful could never fit on your wrist, especially in the 1860s. Further reading about their findings here (http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2007/08/episode_86_superhero_hour.html)

So, in summation, that hook could never hold onto anything, that wire could never support anything, and the power needed to use a grappling hook that could work is far too great to fit on a tiny, hidden wrist device.

As Alphacos and I discussed, the only feasible thing possible with this device would be swinging. If the device was reinforced enough, it might be able to hold the weight of a man in free fall, but I still don't believe that the grappling hook design given could manage that feat.

What a stupid thread. It's a video game. You're looking for realism and questioning the hook? Then there's the animus and going into your ancestors DNA to live their lives. The running and swimming from one end of the map to the other without running out of breath. Not eating the entire game. Not sleeping either. Clothes don't get dirty or damaged/torn the entire game. Auto heals when running away from combat. Not bleeding to death when stabbed or sliced with a sword/knife. Carrying multiple weapons. Hay dives. Having eagle vision and seeing people through walls.

Wait a sec, is this an April fools joke? Am I being fooled? I think I am. This can't be for real.

Cornik22
05-18-2015, 03:35 PM
I don't see the problem here. If you don't want to use the hook, don't use it. That's what I love about this things, you're free to choose the way you climb buildings. In the end, it's all about freedom (personally, I'll choose depending on the mood of the moment).

Also, the line launcher is strange indeed. I've analyzed the footage frame by frame, and this is what happens. Jacob shoots the hook and jumps forward at the same time, the line magically appears beneath him, and then he proceeds to grab it moments before doing an aerial kill. It’s unrealistic but very quick. They will tweak it for sure.

pacmanate
05-18-2015, 03:50 PM
What a stupid thread. It's a video game. You're looking for realism and questioning the hook? Then there's the animus and going into your ancestors DNA to live their lives. The running and swimming from one end of the map to the other without running out of breath. Not eating the entire game. Not sleeping either. Clothes don't get dirty or damaged/torn the entire game. Auto heals when running away from combat. Not bleeding to death when stabbed or sliced with a sword/knife. Carrying multiple weapons. Hay dives. Having eagle vision and seeing people through walls.

Wait a sec, is this an April fools joke? Am I being fooled? I think I am. This can't be for real.

This guy has a point. Which is why I don't care.

The_Kiwi_
05-18-2015, 11:54 PM

lol u b hella salty

All my reasoning for hating the hook and not much else is cogently expressed, you only need to look for it

I am completely justified in hating the hook, as it is extremely cartoony and illogical

D.I.D.
05-19-2015, 12:24 AM
I don't see the problem here. If you don't want to use the hook, don't use it. That's what I love about this things, you're free to choose the way you climb buildings. In the end, it's all about freedom (personally, I'll choose depending on the mood of the moment).

Also, the line launcher is strange indeed. I've analyzed the footage frame by frame, and this is what happens. Jacob shoots the hook and jumps forward at the same time, the line magically appears beneath him, and then he proceeds to grab it moments before doing an aerial kill. It’s unrealistic but very quick. They will tweak it for sure.

Maybe this is another reason why there's no co-op/MP, so that you never see this move being done except by yourself.

Landruner
05-22-2015, 03:30 AM
The biggest concern or point about that "new" feature (not really new in fact....) is not to assume if the grabbing hook is really realistic or not (who dares care for an AC game seriously?) but to already know if the grabbing hook is going to be fun to use in the game or not?

We don't need promises, but solutions and results.

Sef1n
05-22-2015, 07:32 AM
good thing is that we do not need to use stuff like leaps etc. if we do not want to. same for hook :) This is something that does not bother me about syndicate. I was more shocked about carriages and disgusting fighting system (it is too quick - reminds me gameplay from Batman.) When I play ACIII, ACIV or unity the combat has nice pace and moves. Syndicate is a joke from what I saw so far.
bad thing is that the game is almost finished, so what we saw as pre alpha will be in actual game imho.

SolidNSnake1985
05-22-2015, 09:48 AM
there should be a historical figure who's inventing these Gadgets for Jacob

Similar to what Leonardo Da Vinci did in AC2 & Brotherhood for Ezio

Defalt221
05-22-2015, 12:31 PM
there should be a historical figure who's inventing these Gadgets for Jacob

Similar to what Leonardo Da Vinci did in AC2 & Brotherhood for Ezio

Both Edison and Tesla were alive during this time. I suppose Tesla would be the perfect one. Since everyone suspects Edison too be a Templar affiliate.