PDA

View Full Version : An Assassin's Creed Game Getting Guide

Hackergamer2014
05-13-2015, 02:06 AM
I haven't really played other Assassin's Creed games outside of Assassin's Creed 1, but from what I've been hearing around the internet, I thought I would probably give some ideas on how to choose a game to get started on Assassin's Creed. According to my thought process, I think an Assassin's Creed game should be picked based on these fallowing qualities in order of importance.

1. Gameplay:
A pretty obvious one, since this is important for ALL games. What's the point of getting a game if you're not going to have fun. Every game in the Assassin's Creed series has similar gameplay with it's own little additions here and there. Research the various games and get some info on their gameplay, and then decide on your personal preference. If you're a fan of nautical sailing, then perhaps IV or Rogue. If you're more into the cityscape climbing ninja approach, try II or Unity (and III because you can do parkour on TREES!). And if you want a multiplayer experience, then perhaps Brotherhood or Unity.

From what I'm seeing, I'm more of a city ninja kind of player, so I would probably aim for games like 2, 3, or Unity.

If you are basing your choices on gameplay, don't consider Assassin's Creed 1, since it's gameplay is slower, repetitive, and a bit frustrating.

2. Historical setting:
This quality is more based on personal preference than anything. Even if the particular Assassin's Creed game you're getting isn't considered a good one, you'll still enjoy interacting and taking part in your favorite historical settings rather than one you aren't familiar with (though those games could introduce you to a potentially new favorite time period).

For example, I still enjoy playing Assassin's Creed because I'm still a fan of the third crusade era, with the older Muslim cities and their architecture, down to the knights in armor. I'm also a fan of the American Revolution, so I shouldn't have a problem with 3.

3. Story:
I'm going to be frank, but the story in this series isn't the greatest. It's good, it catches my attention, but it's not Walking Dead or Mass Effect level. However, if trying to understand the story of this series is extremely important to you, consider the fact there are essentially TWO series in the entire franchise. I like to call them the Desmond Series and the History Series.

The Desmond Series, obviously, revolves around the story of Desmond and his attempt to save the world while interacting with his past ancestors. These include 1,2,Brotherhood, Revelations, and 3. I would probably say that if you were to play one of those games, you might as well get the others in this series (I don't exactly know if these stories can hold up on their own without having to know what's next or what happened previously, so if you think they do or don't, let me know in the comments.)

The History Series, are all the games after 3, including 4, Unity, Rogue, Syndicate and any future titles. These games begin to stray from the modern era and instead focus on the history part of the series, and from what I can tell, each game can hold up on it's own without having to rely on previous games or sequels.

This should only be considered if story is very important to you. If not, just choose what fits your play style or historical fancy.

Are there any details that I miss? Are the games in the "Desmond Series" able to stand up on their own without having to rely on sequels or previous entries? Let me know in the comments below.