PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer - What do we want from 2016 onwards?

Sorrosyss
05-12-2015, 07:56 PM
According to various sources, it appears that the latest entry in the AC franchise, Syndicate, does not contain a multiplayer portion. This marks the first year since it's introduction with AC Brotherhood in 2010 that multiplayer will be absent from the series.

So where does this take us into 2016 and beyond? Do we want it back? What exactly do we want back? And how far could it be improved?

Here are, in my view, the potential options;

1. We Get Rid Of It

Many fans have considered the multiplayer an abomination, and have not touched it since it's inception. They argue that AC1 and 2 were absolutely fine without it, and detriments the overall quality of the single player campaign. Is it time to let it go from the franchise completely?

2. The Traditional Multiplayer Returns

By this I mean the highly similar competitive modes that were available in ACB, ACR, AC3 and AC4. Having replayed most of these titles recently, I was impressed at the numbers of people that still played these modes. There is obviously some appetite out there, but how much?

3. Co-Op is Expanded

Unity introduced this to us, and allowed us to play several specially designed missions in a co-op mode with other players. What if it were to return, but in fact allowed us to play the entire single player campaign with fellow players?

4. Multiplayer is given it's own game/spinoff

Give the multiplayer to one of Ubi's studios, and have them only focus on the multiplayer. Perhaps do something akin to GTA Online, giving us a free roam modern day, creating our character, choosing Assassin or Templar, Male or Female etc. Include both competitive / co-op aspects, and leave the single player story to be focused on by the main studio?

My personal view - I always enjoyed playing co-op games in other genres, but for me Unity felt disjointed. At the same time, I have always enjoyed the multiplayer in the AC franchise, but I have always disliked that once you hit max level that is pretty much all you get. And then you repeat the experience from scratch with the next entry. A lot of people dislike "MMOs" but I will say I enjoy having a persistent character, and being able to carry over my character, achievements, unlocks etc from subsequent titles would be pretty cool. For this, I have to advocate that a full multiplayer game / spinoff would be a great addition to the franchise. It would keep the single player story away from being detracted by this development, and allow Ubisoft to expand and improve on the two different styles of multiplayer raising them to a whole new immersive level.

That's my view, what's yours? What would you like from multiplayer in 2016 and beyond? :)

cawatrooper9
05-12-2015, 08:20 PM
I could take it or leave it, but I'd take a solid single-player experience over stellar multi-player in AC any day.

Savage Baird LE
05-12-2015, 08:23 PM
I want best of all three worlds: I want a stellar campaign, fantastic co-op, and balanced, fun traditional multiplayer, but that's not very realistic nowadays.

I would really like to see traditional multiplayer make a comeback sometime though.

SixKeys
05-12-2015, 08:24 PM
The best option would be to make a multiplayer spinoff. Perhaps even free-to-play. I know that's a dirty word these days, but let's face it, it was never popular enough to stand on its own. People will not pay $60 for a multiplayer-only experience. So if Ubi wants to make a profit, they need to sell the game at a significantly lower price than its single-player counterparts, or make it free with micro-transactions.

Sorrosyss
05-13-2015, 11:38 AM
That's a good point SixKeys. It may well be that a free to play version would be the way to go, after all, most of the MMO market has adopted this approach. I ordinarily dislike microtransactions, there was no need for them in Unity at all, but I could see it working here if they were applied to say, certain cosmetic items.

A lot of the first person games tend to release map packs, and AC has done this previously too, so there is a precedent of ways to fund an online spinoff should they choose to adopt the free to play model, and still support it's future development.

TexasCaesar
05-13-2015, 06:25 PM
The best option would be to make a multiplayer spinoff. Perhaps even free-to-play. I know that's a dirty word these days, but let's face it, it was never popular enough to stand on its own. People will not pay $60 for a multiplayer-only experience. So if Ubi wants to make a profit, they need to sell the game at a significantly lower price than its single-player counterparts, or make it free with micro-transactions.

People bought Titanfall, Evolveand Battlefield in large quantities. Stand-alone multiplayer is the way of the future.

D34dBodyMan
05-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Just make one stand alone MP game with all the maps and characters up to date. Then just add patches as the months go on. Put in place dedicated servers, leader boards for each mode ( dont group it into one) and add back in a non ranked practice mode. I would even like to see a spectator mode if possible.

When it comes to DLC: If you dont buy the DLC you dont get cut off from the rest of the player base, your just limited to the maps and characters you have.

Altair1789
05-13-2015, 08:25 PM
Ideally both would be back and completely unrelated to SP. You won't need to do co op missions for sync points, gear, any of that. What I had in mind is MP would be unchanged, but co op could be more like MP where you pick a character and customize him. Freeroaming in the main city could also stay that way

I think I'll vote for MP since I enjoyed Revelations MP a lot more than any other multiplayer or co op games/ features

Sorrosyss
05-14-2015, 01:12 PM
People bought Titanfall, Evolveand Battlefield in large quantities. Stand-alone multiplayer is the way of the future.

True enough.

If we are to take Ubisoft at their previous comments on reducing the modern day content, then perhaps such a spinoff really would be the ideal home for it. It would in turn offer us the chance for more immersive content.

A good example of this would be a game called The Secret World. Ignore the game content itself for moment. (Some love it, some hate it.) But they made a concerted effort to try and make the game world feel more alive. They produced several ARGs, and had a browser built into the engine. The reason for this is there would be puzzles, and sometimes web addresses in the game world, which lead to more content and lore outside of the game world. I recall one occassion where there was a hidden item, and you had to call a phone number for directions.

For immersion, that's amazing. I'd love to see something similar here, with social media used to help make the two factions feel alive and existing in the real world. Initiates gave us a taste of the kind of lore and details that fans would be excited over.

Being able to create your own Assassin / Templar in this universe would be pretty special. One in which the modern day storyline could in part be furthered by the fans themselves. And with the Helix servers, any person can experience multiple time periods, giving us access to many different locations and maps for competitive or co-operative play. Battle over the past to help win the modern day, and thus the future.

TLDR, in short I do think a multiplayer spin off could support the modern day story, expand upon it, and with extra attention and iteration from Ubisoft on their existing multiplayer game modes, they could combine it all to a compelling and immersive title that extends beyond the game world.

Democrito_71
05-14-2015, 05:52 PM
One way to incorporate multiplayer aspects in future AC-titles, is to add the invasion mode from Watch dogs where player1 invades player2s world. Instead of the invading player1 hacks player2, player1 is tasked to either Assassinate, stalk you or to rob you. I think it would be a cool twist from the walkers in AC Revelations but having other players play as the stalkers :cool:

Otherwise I think traditional multiplayer should be removed entirely since it felt forced to have multiplayer from the start imo.
But I'm up for bringing coop back, only if it's a separate mode thats not connected to the games main story at all and that we can create our own Assassins, male or female(and Assassin Hunters perhaps)

ShadoeKat
05-14-2015, 07:13 PM
Traditional Multiplayer is basically a slash and dash and that's all, nothing really with substance. So good it's gone in the one coming.
Co-op, it would be ok if people could learn to play well with others. Too many people trying to show off, killing all enemies before anyone else, running so far ahead that it glitches the mission. It's a good concept and was ok some of the time. But again, a few players spoil it for others.
A different game or free multiplayer, yeah, get it out of the main game.
OH and just don't do the mobile app connection stuff, that sucked big time.

Sorrosyss
05-16-2015, 01:55 PM
One way to incorporate multiplayer aspects in future AC-titles, is to add the invasion mode from Watch dogs where player1 invades player2s world. Instead of the invading player1 hacks player2, player1 is tasked to either Assassinate, stalk you or to rob you. I think it would be a cool twist from the walkers in AC Revelations but having other players play as the stalkers :cool:

That's not a bad idea either to be honest. :) I do think Ubisoft are thinking of doing something with the single player being co-op at some point. Having dual protagonists is the first step, and I can think of quite a few games that allow co-op in the main story when there are two main characters. If this is the same for the 2016 game, we may end up seeing a full co-op option sooner than we think.

SixKeys
05-16-2015, 04:37 PM

That could be amazing if done right. Only problem is, it would require always online like Unity did, and Unity suffered overall because of that.

Sorrosyss
05-23-2015, 09:24 PM
That could be amazing if done right. Only problem is, it would require always online like Unity did, and Unity suffered overall because of that.

I think it goes without saying that Uplay needs an overhaul no matter what multiplayer option they choose to use (if any). Even this weekend, I have had the service drop my connection multiple times - and we are not even at a peak time like launch. Ubisoft's server structure is an area they have clearly neglected to invest in over the years, and hopefully some of these suggested options may make for some movement on this front for Uplay.

DragonIrons
05-24-2015, 12:30 AM
Ideally both would be back and completely unrelated to SP. You won't need to do co op missions for sync points, gear, any of that. What I had in mind is MP would be unchanged, but co op could be more like MP where you pick a character and customize him. Freeroaming in the main city could also stay that way

I think I'll vote for MP since I enjoyed Revelations MP a lot more than any other multiplayer or co op games/ features

I just started playing Unity, and I have to say when I figured things out and realized I cant' get all the sync points (therefore all the skills) w/o playing co-op (which I can't do without PS Plus which I dont' want or need, not to mention I could CARE LESS about MP) ..... it really ticked me off. You want to put MP in a game, it should have NOTHING TO DO with the SP..... except for the character you use. Like in Unity, the character you use in SP can be used in MP.

And to the OP...... Rogue had no MP either. It wasnt' just AC II

Do away with MP all together or make a side game on it's own.... or like I said above it has no connection to SP aside from your toon.... It'd be nice to platinum a game w/o MP trophies