PDA

View Full Version : Can we go back to the Captchas?

LoyalACFan
05-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Never thought I'd say this, but having to use a Captcha every time I post is way less annoying than having to sift through 10+ pages of vashikaran love solution sexy time magic every time I get on here. They're relentless, there's no way the mods can keep up with them.

EDIT- for real, they're starting literally three threads a minute

Shahkulu101
05-12-2015, 10:02 AM
+91886886655576 Baba Ji relationship advice

JamesFaith007
05-12-2015, 10:15 AM
Captchas wouldn't solve anything. They are real people so it would only slow them down a little.

Only solution I'm giving a chance is long interval between registering and creating post/threads. Yes, it would be nasty and unfair to newcomers but for these spammers it would mean, lets say, 1 month stoppage of their earnings so they should be forced to move somewhere else.

It should be temporarily solution but Devs have to apply it as fast as possible before real new fans start coming after releasing of Syndicate.

D.I.D.
05-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Simpler still, if it's possible to do this with the forum code, just disallow any text in thread titles that's not the standard English language letters, in the standard typefaces. All of these threads have different languages, different type for English/numbers. Move them to an instant purgatory forum.

I know the mods believe these aren't bots and they're actually entered by human beings, but I don't believe that. If they were people, surely they'd notice that barely anybody here understands most of the messages or lives in the right countries to use the things they're advertising. It would be a complete waste of effort to keep coming here to copy/paste under different names.

On the off chance that this is the work of people: I think Captcha is a bad idea since everybody understands those, but maybe a question/answer thing (that's not just a maths question) would do it. There's a Moderate New Members feature in vBulletin that would prevent these accounts from functioning until mods had checked out their responses.

A lot of admins say the majority of their spam attacks come from browsers running very old editions of Internet Explorer, and that after banning access from those old browsers they had little to no clean-up left to do. These were probably compromised computers that were hijacked to post spam. A games site doesn't have much to worry about with losing genuine users this way, given that games players are technology-minded people who aren't likely to be running an old IE.

Locopells
05-12-2015, 11:19 AM
The trouble is, it IS real people doing this. It's sweatshop labour, copy/pasting what their controller gives them, they don't care what happens.

Mr_Shade
05-12-2015, 11:21 AM
The trouble is, it IS real people doing this. It's sweatshop labour, copy/pasting what their controller gives them, they don't care what happens.

Indeed.

Captcha is active - for new users - once you hit a certain level of activity - it's removed, so that's why you guys might think it's been removed.

Sorrosyss
05-12-2015, 11:30 AM
It only used to appear first thing in the morning here in the UK, but now I'm seeing it all day long. It's definitely getting worse.

Here's a suggestion, how about preventing the ability to create threads until a certain post limit? At least then we would keep the integrity of the thread list, and not put off all the new users visiting post reveal today.

Mr_Shade
05-12-2015, 11:33 AM
The Forum Admin team are investigating methods that should stop the spam, with the lowest impact to regular users.

Until that time - I'm going to have to ask that you bear with us.

EmptyCrustacean
05-12-2015, 11:35 AM
It only used to appear first thing in the morning here in the UK, but now I'm seeing it all day long. It's definitely getting worse.

Here's a suggestion, how about preventing the ability to create threads until a certain post limit? At least then we would keep the integrity of the thread list, and not put off all the new users visiting post reveal today.

Excellent idea

Mr_Shade
05-12-2015, 11:36 AM
That would lead them to spamming in existing threads, which would annoy just as much..

The ideal thing is to stop them completely..

JamesFaith007
05-12-2015, 11:44 AM

This should end even worse.

Threads would be spammed with same speed as front page now and their spam posts wouldn't be so easily recognizable. Plus they already started with spam in thread I saw two just yesterday.

True_Assassin92
05-12-2015, 12:22 PM
@Shade, could you just pin the most active threads about the new AC to the top? It would spare us the time searching through pages. Our discussion would be available to us right away!

Mr_Shade
05-12-2015, 12:55 PM
@Shade, could you just pin the most active threads about the new AC to the top? It would spare us the time searching through pages. Our discussion would be available to us right away!

The popular threads always remain at the top - the moderation team are online during the reveal etc, so they wont be lost ;)

Deezl-V
05-12-2015, 01:30 PM
The best solution would be to give new registered accounts the ability to only create 1 new thread a day for the first 2 weeks or even month. Kinda like a probation period. Then after the probation is up, able to 3 created threads a day, but that should be for everyone.

There's no reason anyone on these forums needs to create more than 3 threads a day.

EmptyCrustacean
05-12-2015, 01:37 PM
That would lead them to spamming in existing threads, which would annoy just as much..

The ideal thing is to stop them completely..

Ah, of course. Couldn't you just recruit more mods?

pacmanate
05-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Indeed.

Captcha is active - for new users - once you hit a certain level of activity - it's removed, so that's why you guys might think it's been removed.

I have an idea. Make it so you can only make 2 threads a day for ALL members.

Mr_Shade
05-12-2015, 02:51 PM
I have an idea. Make it so you can only make 2 threads a day for ALL members.

hmmm there's an idea... ;)

Deezl-V
05-12-2015, 02:52 PM
I just said that. And YOU have an idea? lol.

Mr_Shade
05-12-2015, 02:56 PM
I just said that. And YOU have an idea? lol.

I think he was being sarcastic ;)