PDA

View Full Version : Alex Amancio is no longer working at Ubisoft

X_xWolverinEx_X
05-10-2015, 09:08 AM
:(:(
http://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/35fx7m/alex_amancio_is_no_longer_working_at_ubisoft/

in memory of him i will leave you with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENuYkGY5WN8

Namikaze_17
05-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Well that sucks. I wish him well in his future endeavors.

Shahkulu101
05-10-2015, 09:41 AM
I don't think anyone is going to miss him, and I anticipate that this thread will soon contain a barrage abuse laying the blame on one man for Unity's failures.

I really don't dislike the guy at all. Unity had the right vision for how AC should work in terms of gameplay design, it was the execution that fell short. And even though Unity itself fell short of what it tried to achieve, Amancio's risky decision to dial back on excess and finally focus on the core mechanics will be felt in years to come when the series evolves into something that is mechanically respectable.

EmptyCrustacean
05-10-2015, 10:08 AM
I don't think anyone is going to miss him, and I anticipate that this thread will soon contain a barrage abuse laying the blame on one man for Unity's failures.

I really don't dislike the guy at all. Unity had the right vision for how AC should work in terms of gameplay design, it was the execution that fell short. And even though Unity itself fell short of what it tried to achieve, Amancio's risky decision to dial back on excess and finally focus on the core mechanics will be felt in years to come when the series evolves into something that is mechanically respectable.

Oh, here we go. I've never like Alex "seamless" Amancio because whilst many were fooled by his politician honey words in interviews I was one of the few that remembered what a piece of trash Revelations was and Unity is a prime example of the problem with this guy: seems to have the right idea but has absolutely no idea how to go about it.
You say he dialed back on excess of features - yes, he did and the little new additions he implemented he and copied and pasted them infinitely!
And he focused on the core mechanics and never finished them! So no, he gets no sympathy for me. Ubisoft finally cutting him loose is a step in the right direction.

king-hailz
05-10-2015, 10:15 AM
That video is life....

Oh and bye.

m4r-k7
05-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Amancio had the right vision, he knew where Assassins Creed needs to be (the stealth, the open assassinations etc) and in fact, these implementations and Unitys failure may be needed for future AC games to be succesful.

However, the execution was poor.

Shahkulu101
05-10-2015, 10:28 AM
Oh, here we go. I've never like Alex "seamless" Amancio because whilst many were fooled by his politician honey words in interviews I was one of the few that remembered what a piece of trash Revelations was and Unity is a prime example of the problem with this guy: seems to have the right idea but has absolutely no idea how to go about it.
You say he dialed back on excess of features - yes, he did and the little new additions he implemented he and copied and pasted them infinitely!
And he focused on the core mechanics and never finished them! So no, he gets no sympathy for me. Ubisoft finally cutting him loose is a step in the right direction.

Always with the attitude.

I shouldn't really address this post but what exactly did he copy and paste? Unity actually lacked a lot of features that kept recurring in other games 'just because' which was to it's credit, yet people complained it wasn't enough like the old games. Now Unity copied too much?

And I actually agree with you in that he has the right ideas but they weren't executed properly. Thing is, the creative director sets the targets, it's the core dev team that strives to achieve it. To fully put the blame on one man for a games failings is totally irrational.

m4r-k7
05-10-2015, 10:36 AM
To fully put the blame on one man for a games failings is totally irrational.

This. Especially as Ubisoft use so many studios. I mean imagine this guy sets out his vision, how can you co-ordinate that vision to so many different studios with consistency? Its almost impossible. Its more of Ubisofts fault in their methods of annualization than Amancio himself.

EmptyCrustacean
05-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Always with the attitude.

I shouldn't really address this post but what exactly did he copy and paste? Unity actually lacked a lot of features that kept recurring in other games 'just because' which was to it's credit, yet people complained it wasn't enough like the old game . Now Unity copied too much.

And I actually agree with you in that he has the right ideas but they weren't executed properly. Thing is, the creative director sets the targets, it's the core dev team that strives to achieve it. To fully put the blame on one man for a games failings is totally irrational.

What "attitude"? It's called having an opinion - something that many FMs here do.
Unity took away features from the game that worked. Features that were fun. And what we were left with as a subsitute was side missions and collectibles copied and pasted all over the map to make up for the lack of content. Obviously, I'm aware there are many factors that go into the failure of a game but Amancio doesn't have a good track record to start with. And as the director, it is his responsibility to make sure all the pieces fit together; that includes making sure his team is on point. That is part of being a leader. To lay the blame on the dev team indicates Amancio has no control over his own project which, in turn, makes him a bad leader.

VestigialLlama4
05-10-2015, 10:56 AM
I liked REVELATIONS a lot so I have a lot of goodwill towards Amancio. With regards to UNITY, Mr. Amancio is not the first developer who can talk a better game than he delivered. Ken Levine is much the same and you know, its unfair for people to scapegoat him since UNITY is a collective failure all around.

UNITY would have been a better game if it had better writing and better concepts. On Revelations, he had a good writer like Darby McDevitt and UNITY was more art-by-comittee than that. You can't blame him for that. I am sure the original plan of Paris in multiple eras would have been more fun and interesting than a game and setting he didn't care for and had to salvage into a Next-Gen relaunch. Whatever value that's there in UNITY, the mission design and greater streamlining of core elements is entirely down to him, so he did a commendable job there. But unfortunately that's just not good enough for a AAA game.

This. Especially as Ubisoft use so many studios. I mean imagine this guy sets out his vision, how can you co-ordinate that vision to so many different studios with consistency? Its almost impossible. Its more of Ubisofts fault in their methods of annualization than Amancio himself.

I am sorry but that's too much special pleading. Like I said, I don't think Mr. Amancio should be scapegoated since that's absurd. But to say that its a problem with multiple studios ignores the fact that Black Flag, Brotherhood and even Revelations came out just fine. In either case, multiple studios only becomes an issue when you are designing multiple features and many side-missions like in AC3, in UNITY there aren't any variety in side-missions and the game as a whole is focused. UNITY as such is super-streamlined and entirely directed towards Assassinations at the expense of the open-world, at the expense of satisfying storytelling and at the expense of meaningful historical immersion.

UNITY is a really bad game, there's no getting around that. It's rushed, half-finished and badly written and sour on the whole.

Shahkulu101
05-10-2015, 10:59 AM
What "attitude"? It's called having an opinion - something that many FMs here do.
Unity took away features from the game that worked. Features that were fun. And what we were left with as a subsitute was side missions and collectibles copied and pasted all over the map to make up for the lack of content. Obviously, I'm aware there are many factors that go into the failure of a game but Amancio doesn't have a good track record to start with. And as the director, it is his responsibility to make sure all the pieces fit together; that includes making sure his team is on point. That is part of being a leader. To lay the blame on the dev team indicates Amancio has no control over his own project which, in turn, makes him a bad leader.

You started with "oh here we go again" which is a sign of hostility towards my opinion - so it's ironic that your lecturing me on "having opinions" when you acted incredulously to my point of view...

With regards to the features Unity took away, we're just going to have agree to disagree on that point. IMO the vast majority of the old features were just distractions that hid how terrible the core mechanics and main mission design were.

I'm not pinning the blame on the dev team either - just saying that development processes are complex and shelving the blame on one person is unfair unless we have clear insight into how things work. I don't think that past games being bad, or as you said having a bad record, indicates that they are a bad director. Alex Hutchinson made Spore which had a myriad of issues and we all know about AC3 - then he pulled Far Cry 4 put of the bag. I don't think anyone is in a position to judge his job to be honest. Apart from the few game devs among us, of course.

VestigialLlama4
05-10-2015, 11:11 AM
I'm not pinning the blame on the dev team either - just saying that development processes are complex and shelving the blame on one person is unfair unless we have clear insight into how things work. I don't think that past games being bad, or as you said having a bad record, indicates that they are a bad director. Alex Hutchinson made Spore which had a myriad of issues and we all know about AC3 - then he pulled Far Cry 4 put of the bag. I don't think anyone is in a position to judge his job to be honest. Apart from the few game devs among us, of course.

I think everyone is in a position to judge. To quote the old cliche, just because you don't know how to play a violin doesn't mean you can't tell when someone else is doing it wrong.

I don't think Amancio should be scapegoated but I don't think he should be given special pleading either. He got an amazing Franchise, incredibly vast resources and a great opportunity to make a big impression and relaunch and redefine the franchise. It's the proverbial kid-in-the-candy-store. If he had better material (He didn't write the story and characters and the dialogue after all), it might not have been such a bad game. REVELATIONS is a terrific game and he had good material for that. He tried to cover that up with a narrow focus on systems and unfortunately that's just not enough to make an expensive AAA game be satisfying, I mean this isn't an independent IP after all.

X_xWolverinEx_X
05-10-2015, 11:22 AM
plz dont start fighting guys

EmptyCrustacean
05-10-2015, 12:18 PM
You started with "oh here we go again" which is a sign of hostility towards my opinion - so it's ironic that your lecturing me on "having opinions" when you acted incredulously to my point of view...

It's because you were anticipating "abuse" which is a strong word for fans who simply do not like Amancio as a dev.

With regards to the features Unity took away, we're just going to have agree to disagree on that point. IMO the vast majority of the old features were just distractions that hid how terrible the core mechanics and main mission design were. I'm not pinning the blame on the dev team either - just saying that development processes are complex and shelving the blame on one person is unfair unless we have clear insight into how things work. I don't think that past games being bad, or as you said having a bad record, indicates that they are a bad director. Alex Hutchinson made Spore which had a myriad of issues and we all know about AC3 - then he pulled Far Cry 4 put of the bag. I don't think anyone is in a position to judge his job to be honest. Apart from the few game devs among us, of course.

I haven't played Far Cry 4; I'm waiting for the price to come down (as it looks like a Far Cry 3 DLC) and I actually liked AC3 so again it's all relative.
I can only judge from my own personal taste. This is why for you to label opposing views as "abuse" makes no sense.

X_xWolverinEx_X
05-10-2015, 12:21 PM
ladies.....

m4r-k7
05-10-2015, 12:21 PM
I can only judge from my own personal taste. This is why for you to label opposing views as "abuse" makes no sense.

Its the way you go about expressing your opinions mate, it can come off as aggressive.

pacmanate
05-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Its the way you go about expressing your opinions mate, it can come off as aggressive.

Your sig would be perfect if one of the Assassin's was flipped.

rprkjj
05-10-2015, 12:33 PM
I liked Unity and Revelations, so this sucks. May the Father of understanding guide you, Amancio. :p

m4r-k7
05-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Your sig would be perfect if one of the Assassin's was flipped.

Oh god your right...I wouldn't even know where to start to do that though aha

D.I.D.
05-10-2015, 12:43 PM
He might not have left completely. We had this news already once before after Revelations, and then he was soon back again for Unity.

There were very few things I enjoyed about Revelations, and those things were very fleeting (and mainly stood out only in contrast to the rest), but I liked the core of Unity a lot. Unity brought a lot of things into AC that I've wanted to see for a long time. It's my favourite AC so far, and its biggest problems for me are in the bloat, which isn't Amancio's fault. Without the filler added to stretch out the game and add content for all the extraneous systems, Unity is a great game with a lot to recommend it, and does many things better than any AC before it. I'll never understand how it was that the stealth system from Watch Dogs wasn't re-used in Unity - I think everyone who'd played it immediately thought of Watch Dogs the moment they saw the stealth demo in the E3 video - but with a few tweaks surrounding a few weak points like that, Syndicate should be an excellent game, and that will be thanks to the people who worked on Unity.

rprkjj
05-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Oh god your right...I wouldn't even know where to start to do that though aha

You can flip stuff in MS paint.

He might not have left completely. We had this news already once before after Revelations, and then he was soon back again for Unity.

There were very few things I enjoyed about Revelations, and those things were very fleeting (and mainly stood out only in contrast to the rest), but I liked the core of Unity a lot. Unity brought a lot of things into AC that I've wanted to see for a long time. It's my favourite AC so far, and its biggest problems for me are in the bloat, which isn't Amancio's fault. Without the filler added to stretch out the game and add content for all the extraneous systems, Unity is a great game with a lot to recommend it, and does many things better than any AC before it. I'll never understand how it was that the stealth system from Watch Dogs wasn't re-used in Unity - I think everyone who'd played it immediately thought of Watch Dogs the moment they saw the stealth demo in the E3 video - but with a few tweaks surrounding a few weak points like that, Syndicate should be an excellent game, and that will be thanks to the people who worked on Unity.

I still can't get over the fact you can't round corners... seriously though, Watch Dogs stealth would work great with the indoor and courtyard encounters in Unity.

SixKeys
05-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Again? Didn't he already leave after Revelations to go work in marketing? I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back again at some point.

EmptyCrustacean
05-10-2015, 03:09 PM

Actually, if you read the thread you'll find Shahkulu said that before the negative comments about Amancio so you can't justify the "abuse" comment when nothing had been said at that point.
I reject "aggressive" because I find that's a double standard applied only to certain people. And that's all I'm going to say on the matter. Peace.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-10-2015, 03:31 PM
Hmm... he left, huh?

I didn't hate him or like him, but he had high hopes for the franchise that I guess he realized he failed at delivering, which is why theres mixed feelings about him.

I wish him well with his future endeavors.... seamlessly. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But yes, he did leave after Revelations and came back. Maybe that might happen again?

LieutenantRex
05-10-2015, 03:50 PM
Amancio was anathema to both games that he helped developed, so are we really surprised that he has tucked his tail in between his legs and absconded once more with our hopes of a truly masterpiece Assassin's Creed game (hopes unfulfilled since every game after Brotherhood)? The man is wracked with nonfeasance and he is the complete opposite of capable. Yet again, he is revered on these forums, as much as Darby McDevitt, simply for being assigned a role as CD and speaking with the most flowery and bombast gamer jargon (seamless, open-world, synchronized Animus anal tunnel), all while ostentatiously exposing the gullibility that plagues the hearts and souls of gamers who blindly follow anything that is effulgent enough to blind them.

He will return in three years.

EmptyCrustacean
05-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Amancio was anathema to both games that he helped developed, so are we really surprised that he has tucked his tail in between his legs and absconded once more with our hopes of a truly masterpiece Assassin's Creed game (hopes unfulfilled since every game after Brotherhood)? The man is wracked with nonfeasance and he is the complete opposite of capable. Yet again, he is revered on these forums, as much as Darby McDevitt, simply for being assigned a role as CD and speaking with the most flowery and bombast gamer jargon (seamless, open-world, synchronized Animus anal tunnel), all while ostentatiously exposing the gullibility that plagues the hearts and souls of gamers who blindly follow anything that is effulgent enough to blind them.

He will return in three years.

This. And the Darby love makes me cringe!

Civona
05-10-2015, 04:24 PM
It's kinda sad, it seems like both times he's directed an AC game, he's gotten the short end of the stick: shifts in technology and big ambitions that have to be pulled together across so many studios. I hope if he stays in the game industry this time, he finds himself on a smaller team where he can more clearly express his vision. Managing so many moving parts must be really stressful, and despite having some issues with the final product I will always respect the insane amount of work developers have to do to create huge games like these.

au revoir, vive la révolution!

Megas_Doux
05-10-2015, 04:40 PM

This!!!!!!!

rrebe
05-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Amancio has left the building? Well, then, I shall wish him all the best for whatever future brings! :)
Even though Unity was a bit of a mess at first I still think he did a fairly good job considering how huge the game was. I know I wouldn't want to be in his place in times like these.

souNdwAve89
05-10-2015, 11:19 PM
I wish him the best. I enjoyed Revelations, and thought Unity was okay (after majority of bugs were fixed, of course). I can see why some would put the blame on the guy because he is the face of the game during the promotion and marketing period. We all know that Unity was not ready, at all, so we can't really say Amancio is the main culprit here. The Creative Director can only do so much when it comes to the technical side of a game's development. The game being rushed means that the programmers and engineers were pressured to get as much work done as possible. With all these stories of AC3's and Unity's development on Reddit (if true) shows that it is the typical story of upper management breathing down their necks to get this game ready for the holiday season.

harsab
05-10-2015, 11:32 PM
I wonder if he seamlessly left the Ubisoft building.....

All jokes aside, he was an EXCELLENT director. Sometimes things just don't go to plan. Life isn't perfect, get over it.

phoenix-force411
05-11-2015, 01:28 AM
I'm sure he wanted to do more with the story but that time crunch tho'. It seems all of the ambitious titles have the most problems. ACIII and Unity were those two titles. I still love his work on AC: Revelations. My second favorite game in the Ezio Trilogy with ACII being the first.

IronMattO3
05-11-2015, 06:40 AM
Well im sad :( he was a terrific creative director (one of my favourite) i loved Unity and Revelations, i hope he returns!

Defalt221
05-11-2015, 12:51 PM

Actually I will. He had the right idea of what an AC game needs to be. Glitches aren't his fault. Creative directors don't meddle too deply on technical side. Gliches were due to early release.

IMRicko
05-11-2015, 05:08 PM
That man had great vision, but hindered with poor execution. I thought some of the mechanics in Unity were nice. Wish him all the best

dimbismp
05-11-2015, 05:29 PM
He was definetely ambitious,but he messed up the story big time in acu

Kakuzu745
05-11-2015, 07:03 PM
Bye bye to him.

What happened with Unity was not his fault.

poptartz20
05-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Good Luck and farewell to you sir! I wonder where he went. Either way I don't think we can blame him for too much. If anything there are some great mechanics in unity...

killzab
05-11-2015, 07:57 PM
Well I'm not an apologist and I say good riddance ...

EmptyCrustacean
05-11-2015, 10:58 PM
He was definetely ambitious,but he messed up the story big time in acu

He even admitted that story was not his strong suit.

killzab
05-11-2015, 11:06 PM
He even admitted that story was not his strong suit.

Neither was gameplay

Shahkulu101
05-11-2015, 11:49 PM
Well I'm not an apologist and I say good riddance ...

Neither was gameplay

http://media1.giphy.com/media/l53tzQmIeblxC/giphy.gif

Megas_Doux
05-11-2015, 11:52 PM
Neither was gameplay

To each his own....

I loved that Arno wasn´t a one man Army, the 1:1 buildings, parkour and many of ACU´s assassinations.

Shahkulu101
05-11-2015, 11:53 PM
To each his own....

I loved that Arno wasn´t a one man Army, the 1:1 buildings, parkour and many of ACU´s assassinations.

And now you have instigated another long-winded debate with VestigialLama

TO_M
05-12-2015, 01:33 AM
To each his own....

This. In terms of (core) gameplay Unity was a massive improvement/step in the right direction imo.

kosmoscreed
05-12-2015, 04:42 AM
He was the lead in 2 games that failed to met my expectations, very low in the case of Unity. I liked the guy and probably he is not fully to blame for how things turn with Revelations and Unity but at the end of the day AC survived without Patrice and he was the man.

VestigialLlama4
05-12-2015, 06:20 AM
And now you have instigated another long-winded debate with VestigialLama

Hardy Hardy Har...As I said, I don't think Amancio should be scapegoated and I happened to like Revelations a lot. The bomb mechanic and crowd interactions in that game, as well as traversal systems generally made Istanbul this awesome interactive toy and that I believe was his strong suit. He had very good material for Revelations but on Unity he didn't have a single writer with a unique voice, and it was more by committee. So it was out of his hands, as important as the gameplay is, there is not much anyone can do with fundamentally weak material as the kind that was offered to him.

This. In terms of (core) gameplay Unity was a massive improvement/step in the right direction imo.

To each his own....

Let me quote this review here:
http://kotaku.com/assassins-creed-unity-the-kotaku-review-1657368877

On paper, in prose, Unity sounded great. They were going to fix the game's controls and building-climbing by adding a button command for climbing up and a different one for climbing down. They were going to fix the series' stealth by adding stickier cover and a dedicated crouch/stealth-mode button. They were going to make the campaign's assassin missions more open-ended, presenting them as squared-off sandboxes with multiple ways to kill Arno's target. They were going to let us finally have a significant amount of play time inside a city's buildings. They were going to fill Unity's Paris with dozens of side missions to keep solo players happy. They were going to add another new flavor to the series by making our hero a murder detective.
The assassination missions are indeed more open-ended and present a good template for re-thinking how major assassinations work in these games. Arno will survey a scene from afar, and the game will tell the player how many possible entrances and guards are around. It'll also mark areas of opportunity where Arno might, say, be able to convince some people to create a distraction. Some of these missions also offer Arno an opportunity to do a signature kill. I murdered my first major target in a church confessional, for example. Sadly, the number of entrances is not a useful stat, and the amount of guards might as well always be classified as "a lot." Worse, the missions just don't feel that different than assassinations in previous games, despite the new design approach. Assassin's Creed IV occasionally tasked players with needing to kill a target who was on board a ship, and deciding to do so by pulling him overboard, rushing his crew, or pouncing on him from the crow's nest felt at least as open-ended as anything offered in Unity
The Assassin's Creed series has long felt artful, sometimes shockingly so, given that each game is the work of hundreds of people. Unity, however, feels more like a game designed off of a spreadsheet. This is a game about math.
I wish I could say all these great graphics amounted to something, but the game's massive crowds turn out to be not very interesting. In theory citizens in the crowd will accuse you of crimes if they spot you being bad. They'll scatter at signs of trouble. They jostle around and make Paris look and sound alive. But their application to gameplay feels less relevant than the crowds of Assassin's Creed Revelations, who players could enjoyably manipulate by throwing all sorts of smoke, coin and blood bombs into their midst.

Not much to add to that. The fact is UNITY was a game of modest ambitions, much like Revelations. On those modest ambitions, on the very low bars that it set, it has failed. The only thing left is the game's Next-Gen graphics. Nothing else is really special or worth salvaging from it. The Assassinations aren't as open as in AC1, most of the stealth systems - Rooftop Sniper, Alarm Bells, X-Ray Eagle Vision, Heist Missions - come from Black Flag. It didn't really contribute anything new.

Shahkulu101
05-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Plenty of reviews had good things to say about the Assassination missions too. IGN's was quite complimentary on that point.

I sort of agree with the Kotaku review saying they weren't that different, but I thought the best ones were still better than anything we got previously. The point he makes about them being a good template is what I've been saying too. They weren't perfect but it's a good starting point, even though they weren't as good as they could have been they were still better than in past games and that design approach will be iterated in in the future. Just the decision to go with that approach to mission design will have (hopefully positive) implications in the games to come. So we may end up thanking Unity for taking that direction in the first place. It may not have been ambitious in your mind, but it's what's needed to get this series back on track in my opinion.

Obviously we should still be disappointed at what Unity fell short off, you judge each game on it's own merit, but what it did was set a new precedent for the series to turn into something with respectable mechanics and mission design. For that, at least, it should be praised.

VestigialLlama4
05-12-2015, 11:24 AM
Plenty of reviews had good things to say about the Assassination missions too. IGN's was quite complimentary on that point.

I am quite sure, I am just quoting the viewpoint that most agrees with me. :cool:

I sort of agree with the Kotaku review saying they weren't that different, but I thought the best ones were still better than anything we got previously. The point he makes about them being a good template is what I've been saying too. They weren't perfect but it's a good starting point, even though they weren't as good as they could have been they were still better than in past games and that design approach will be iterated in in the future.

Just the decision to go with that approach to mission design will have (hopefully positive) implications in the games to come. So we may end up thanking Unity for taking that direction in the first place. It may not have been ambitious in your mind, but it's what's needed to get this series back on track in my opinion.

I really don't see any reason for Unity to get any credit on that score. Open assassinations are there in AC1, and are far harder, more satisfying and had even less handholding than UNITY what with its turtle-crouching, cover system and X-Ray Eagle Vision. Unity's stealth actually comes from Black Flag, with the oversize Alarm Bells, X-Ray Eyes, Sniper-Rooftop Archetype. The heist missions and all comes from the Plantation missions. About the only thing that can be said is interior stealth but then Brotherhood had the Castel Sant'Angelo in several missions which is where interior stealth really began. So I really can't see anything really new in UNITY aside from the fact its all Next-Gen and big. Those are totally logical and expected developments. The surprising thing would be if they had used Next-Gen potential for pure gameplay and worked with a more limited aesthetic, you know, Majora's Mask instead of Twilight Princess.

Everything in UNITY was there in earlier titles and done better, so for me the wise thing to do is simply ignore it and make a better game. Its only value is as a tech demo and a cautionary tale.

Megas_Doux
05-12-2015, 03:19 PM

Obviously we should still be disappointed at what Unity fell short off, you judge each game on it's own merit, but what it did was set a new precedent for the series to turn into something with respectable mechanics and mission design. For that, at least, it should be praised.

Everybody agrees those elements are far from perfect, however I prefer that over QTE´s and linearity for sure. An AC game with just THREE -and that´s being PRETTY generous- open assassinations is utter blasphemy in my book.

cawatrooper9
05-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Well, I guess someone had to fall on their sword.

VestigialLlama4
05-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Everybody agrees those elements are far from perfect, however I prefer that over QTE´s and linearity for sure. An AC game with just THREE -and that´s being PRETTY generous- open assassinations is utter blasphemy in my book.

An AC game that is totally boring on every level (story, plot, character, moral comlexity), absurdly fallacious in terms of history, totally bereft of wild imagination, contributes zero invention in gameplay and merely content to popular cliches is not just blasphemous, its heretical, its worthy of getting the Jacques de Molay treatment...in my books at least.

loomer979
05-12-2015, 10:59 PM
To me, Alex was obviously a very intelligent person with a lot of great ideas. That being said, I feel that his impact on the Assassin's Creed series overall has been more negative than positive. I wish him all the best in his future projects, I'm just glad it isn't AC.

Journey95
05-13-2015, 01:04 AM
I really liked Revelations (despite some poor choices like bombs and tower defense) it had a great story and was emotional

Unity on the other hand was a complete failure
Still sad to see him go, Unity was hardly his fault alone

Actually the greedy nature of Ubisoft is to blame, Unity needed a lot more time