PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with game crashes

Mr_Blonde_
12-03-2003, 06:50 PM
I couldn't see a "Problems" area so I've posted here.

I hope someone can help me...and most likely others.

This is the fourth time this game has crashed on me. The first three times were fortunately (if you can call a crash that) near the begining of the game. This last time was after a week of playing it!!! Yes, I look around a lot http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I read through other people's problems previously and have been taking backups after each session and made sure I was on the latest official video drivers, using default settings with nothing fancy on the graphics front, had it patched to v1.2 and always checked for updates on the game front...etc.
I thought I was safe.
I've tried restarting the game but it crashed back to the desktop straight away. I've tried deinstalling the game, removing any files left over, copying the sav and backups of the sav folder back in but with no joy - it crashes each time right at the start - I'm guessing something is corrupted.

For what it's worth here's the core of my system :-
Motherboard: Abit NF7-S with v18 bios
CPU: AMD Barton 2500+
RAM: 2 x 512Mb 3200 Twimoss
Video: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

The system temp is around 24c while the Processor is at 37c.
I have had no problems with any other game at any point relating to heat, video drivers, sound drivers or games in general. In actual fact I've had no problems at all with anything since I built it six moths a go.

I am basically so miffed with this that I realy want to go through another week or so just for it bomb out on me and corrupt the save files or whatever it does that makes it unplayable again.

So my questions are -
If I send a copy of my dxdiag output will someone actually get back to me?
Has anyone done this, if so what was the reply. Was it of use?
Has anyone with this problem tried loading a copy of someone elses save files up?
Are there any other options I have?

Many thanks

PS I'm in the UK so I'm off to bed now but I'll check back here in the morning. Thanks again.

Mr_Blonde_
12-03-2003, 06:50 PM
I couldn't see a "Problems" area so I've posted here.

I hope someone can help me...and most likely others.

This is the fourth time this game has crashed on me. The first three times were fortunately (if you can call a crash that) near the begining of the game. This last time was after a week of playing it!!! Yes, I look around a lot http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I read through other people's problems previously and have been taking backups after each session and made sure I was on the latest official video drivers, using default settings with nothing fancy on the graphics front, had it patched to v1.2 and always checked for updates on the game front...etc.
I thought I was safe.
I've tried restarting the game but it crashed back to the desktop straight away. I've tried deinstalling the game, removing any files left over, copying the sav and backups of the sav folder back in but with no joy - it crashes each time right at the start - I'm guessing something is corrupted.

For what it's worth here's the core of my system :-
Motherboard: Abit NF7-S with v18 bios
CPU: AMD Barton 2500+
RAM: 2 x 512Mb 3200 Twimoss
Video: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

The system temp is around 24c while the Processor is at 37c.
I have had no problems with any other game at any point relating to heat, video drivers, sound drivers or games in general. In actual fact I've had no problems at all with anything since I built it six moths a go.

I am basically so miffed with this that I realy want to go through another week or so just for it bomb out on me and corrupt the save files or whatever it does that makes it unplayable again.

So my questions are -
If I send a copy of my dxdiag output will someone actually get back to me?
Has anyone done this, if so what was the reply. Was it of use?
Has anyone with this problem tried loading a copy of someone elses save files up?
Are there any other options I have?

Many thanks

PS I'm in the UK so I'm off to bed now but I'll check back here in the morning. Thanks again.

Khatie_
12-03-2003, 07:07 PM
Since you are off to bed and I don't want you to think your thread is gone, I won't move it. But tomorrow when you're up, I'll move it where it belongs to the Prologue Technical Support Forum.

The game isn't stable yet... CyanBill has posted today explaining what's happening in the Announcements Forum at the top in "State of Uru Live".

Sounds like a Presidential Address, that title... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Anyway, you aren't alone. But we are here to help. Please let us know in this thread your dxdiag and anything else and if no one can help in the forums I will send to our Uru QA team for you.

Thanks, Mr_Blonde.

Hope you sleep well. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

What's New, Uru? (http://urulive.ubi.com/US/)

Mr_Blonde_
12-04-2003, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the reply, Guinevere4719! Are you an Admin / Moderator? Uru Auntie means nothing to me sorry http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I thought that 'Prologue' forum you say was for live only and not Prime. Maybe the name might confuse others as well - how about just "Technical support" as all these forums only cover Uru afterall... or maybe it's just me who can't remember what Prologue referes to!
So to clarify - I'm trying to play the single player Prime in case I've confused the hell out of you http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm in work so I can't send any dxdiag info back until later. As I say above though, have people's problems been fixed by this anyway? Do the developers think they have a video related problem with the game then? How about my other questions above now that you know I'm playing prime.

Thanks

bobdodge44109
12-04-2003, 06:48 AM
I had the same problems with my Radeon 9800 until I downloaded and installed the latest Catalyst 3.9 drivers for Windows XP. At the time of the crashes I was using Catalyst 3.7 driver.

Since then, no more crashes!

Mr_Blonde_
12-04-2003, 07:32 AM
I've been on Omega 3.7 and moved to 3.8 when they came out and have been playing various 3d games successfully both stand alone and online http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. I'm also on XP and it's fully service packed and updated as much as it can be. I work in IT on the security side of things and I'm a bit of a stickler on this sort of thing http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I've seen a lot of people, including the people at the technical forums I frequent, recommend the official ATI 3.8 Cats over everything else as there seems to be a lot of people with problems using the 3.9 cats and directx9!

I can't say I had any problems but I've stayed clear of them until now.
My first two game crashes where with Omega 3.8's, my second Offical 3.7's and my last was on offical 3.9's. This last one took at a week before it corrupted my save files and I was half way through the game!!!

Edit: Just a thought..
With people being asked to send in the directx output, could this be a game / directx 9 problem?
Anyone running directx 8.1 or lower - is it or was it ok?

Thanks for the reply.

[This message was edited by Mr_Blonde_ on Thu December 04 2003 at 06:53 AM.]

bobdodge44109
12-04-2003, 12:30 PM
Sorry to hear you still have the crashing problem.

First, when I had this problem, after rebooting it came up with a window reporting a serious problem and asking whether you want to send a report to MS. I don't send that. But, there was a link labelled Details and I clicked on that and could understand almost nothing there. I think somewhere in that same window was a link for report. When I clicked that it came out in plain english that it was a video card problem.

As far as CAT 3.8 driver, at one time there was a lot of talk about that driver destroying monitors. I believe that was all hogwash. So be careful of a lot of posts. A lot is completely untrue and speculation.

On the ati.com site after selecting the software and drive tab and selecting the OS and Radeon Family the download section for the latest Catalyst 3.9 drivers displays. Now, at the bottom is a link to ATI Maintenance programs. Download and use the CAT-UN program that is there. It will delete any traces in the registry and elsewhere of ATI Drivers and Programs. Use it if you already haven't and start your install fresh. If you haven't done this you may be using bits and pieces from old drivers! And, you will be defaulting to the old low resolution VGA drivers from MS when you reboot. On the reboot click no when asked about the OS installing new drivers for you. Once XP is up go ahead and install the new drivers. Like I said Cat 3.9 works fine for me. I had been using Cat 3.7 when I had the crashes!

Oh, also, I use Direct X 9.0b. You can run dxdiag command using run..Run the tests there. Mine all ran fine even though I still had the problem.

My system is one that I built in August. Windows XP OS, 500 Watt P.S., ASUS P4C800 Mother Board, Intel P4 2.8 GHz Processor, ATI Radeon 9800, 1 GB Memory, 80 GB Hard Drive, 20 GB Hard Drive, Creative Sound Blaster Live Sound Card, etc. I built this system to run Flight Simulator 2004 Century of Flight. My old system just couldn't hack this new version of MSFS.

Hopefully, something I've stated here helps you. I know when I had the crashes that I simply could not continue playing Uru.

Mr_Blonde_
12-04-2003, 01:03 PM
I've always used Driver Cleaner to clear out any residual files but I've just downloaded the cleaner you used as well as a fresh copy of the 3.9 cats. I was going to try the game using Directx8.1 as I rolled back to this version using Directx Extractor, but now that I've also grabbed a fresh copy of Directx 9.0b I'll be reinstalling them also.
I did run all the directx tests under 9.0b when I had the crashes and mine reported no faults either. But then this is the only game as said previously that doesn't want to play ball.

There's not much point in me posting my dxdiag output until (if) I get a problem with this configuration but I'll be sure to post here either way soon.

Thanks for your help.

Zard0z
12-04-2003, 01:13 PM
What is the quality of your memory? Are you overclocking? Do you have the latest bios for your mobo? Have you tried running the memory at 333 instead of 400? What AGP driving control settings do you have; have you disabled/enabled wait states? What other games are you playing that work?

osaurus
12-04-2003, 01:43 PM
i reccomend updating your vid driver and going to DX 9.1b. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

intel p3 1gig/coolermaster hhc-001
abit sa6r
crucial pc133 cas2
ibm dtla 307030 2x raid0
gainward g4 ti4400
audugy mp3+
pioneer dvd rom 106s
enermax 365p-ve fc
win98se
lian li p60

bobdodge44109
12-04-2003, 02:28 PM
One more thing. You have probably already done it. But I see a lot of people have not applied the Uru Update patch.

Make sure you allow enough time for the Update to complete. After, downloading it takes a little while to actually apply it. System is sort of in la, la land with no message letting you know what's happening.

Another thing is I have my BIOS AGP Aperture size set to 256.

And, my on board mother card video adaptor disabled. I think that is also done in the BIOS.

Mr_Blonde_
12-04-2003, 06:17 PM
Well here's a few answers but I've managed to get past where I was before anyway and have been taking a copy of the sav files at a few points.

I've been on the ver 1.2 patch prior to starting the game.
My memory is good but cheap - 1Gb of Twinmoss 3200 (see my first post for the main guts of my system) which have been getting very good reviews over here for some time. Settings are 8,3,3,2.0.
Yes I'm overclocking...my Barton 2500+ has basically been running as a 3200+ since I built the system six months a go. The side of the case is open and I've got two 92mm fans, one of which is blowing directly on my Radeon's gpu and memory while the other is on my Thermaltake SLK-900 heatsink above my cpu. The core temperature after a long 3d gaming session is about 42c. The Radeon is clocked at 430/340 - it's been this way for as long as I've had the system.
AGP apeture size 128Mb - driving controls not touched from default.
Other games loaded that all work fine :-
BF1942 + Desert Combat, Hidden and Dangerous 2, Mafia and Medieval Total War and many others that aren't loaded at the moment.

One thing I did have tonight when I started the game again was a slight crackling coming through the speakers. This was quickly sorted out by turning down the sound acceleration a notch in dxdiag.
As I say, things have been fine tonight with my game this evening using the 3.9 cats and dx9.0b so fingers crossed.

Thanks all.

Zard0z
12-04-2003, 07:07 PM
Overclocking your cpu will decreaseyour stability regardless of whether you notice it or not. If you could overclock without sacrifices, they would be rated at that speed, no? Heat is not always the issue, keeping the cpu cool may save it from burning but there are limits to its capabilities. You can't run a 386 as fast as a 686 no matter how cool you keep it. I'm skeptical of AMD's "its a 1533mhz but outperforms an 1800" nonesense anyway. I would try it at its retail speed and see if you increase your stability in URU.

Zard0z
12-04-2003, 11:41 PM
AMD 2600+
1 Gig DDR 3200
Abit Mobo
ATI Radeon 9500 pro 128
Windows XP

Mr_Blonde_
12-05-2003, 03:30 AM
Thanks Zard0z

I've been overclocking the many PC's I've put together for many years and I feel I know both the benefits and the pitfalls. I'm afraid I disagree with most of what you've said in relation to this. I'm not going to go into details but suffice to say I know a fair bit on the subject and will not offer any sweeping statements like you did http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gifhttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I only every buy good, solid / resiliant components and research anything I don't know prior to going ahead with any changes to any of my systems...I also run two servers in my house, one of which is on 24/7 and has been for 5 months now having never crashed. I would also put any of my systems in any set of stability tests with anyone elses PC / system and would be very confident.

Call me a cynic here but I feel that's it's much more likely that this game is the culprit. Here's a few little thoughts on this and I stress they are only my view.
First, I believe this game has been rushed through to get it to the shelves before christmas. This may have caused some areas of the game not to have the complete testing cycle completed on them to iron out any medium to big bugs. Second, it's not very often that a patch for a game comes and within two weeks of it's release let alone the 2 I know of! Third, the fact that seemingly everyone who has a problem have been asked to submit their dxdiag info for scrutiny. This is the first time I have seen this for a game and I've seen a vast array of them.
I don't claim to be any sort of 'guru' on the subject but I have seen a fair bit of life http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

frenyo
12-05-2003, 05:17 AM
I agree that Uru is far from being bugfree. However, the game is running faultlessly in 199 out of 200 PCs or so. During the previous beta me alone tried 3 different PCs with different hardwares, no problems at all (not regarding the server side problems from time to time of course). I think in these cases the culprit is that particular 1 PC.
Until PC components are manufactured at thousands of different places of the world (ditto for the drivers), there will be always PCs with compatibility less than the average.

-----------------
Frenyo/Norfren in game
Beta tester
Guild of Greeters

Mr_Blonde_
12-05-2003, 08:17 AM
I don't know the figures on how many installs of the game are having problems out of say a 100 - is this just your feelings from the people that have come here, from Ubi registartions or you just know? Time will tell on how many people require help as the game is very new. I personally don't expect to see masses of people complaining anyway - no offence, but it's a bit of a 'niche' game. Combine this with and the lack of info about what actually happens online, the lack of marketing / advertising (in this country anyway) and I woudn't have thought many people will be here either way.

Time will also tell on wether my game will bomb out again or not and wether I will have corrupted sav files again or not. Yep, it could be anything - I'll agree with you there...but I for one find it strange that this forums asks for dxdiag info straight away and those patches..hmmm http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Mr_Blonde_ on Fri December 05 2003 at 07:34 AM.]

Aypee
12-06-2003, 05:33 AM
Hi Mr Blonde
I am clearly not as au fait with the inner workings of my computor but I have taken advice to download latest drivers, directx, changed CD, got patch, closed other applications, reinstalled game, sound and graphics on lowest settings, windows update, game advisor, two phone calls to tech support, two e-mails unanswered, and game still freezes after a few seconds of play with even worse distortion of sound and graphics. I really share your frustration, I could hardly wait to get lost in new worlds. My question would be how on earth can a non techi person like me get into URU when computor creator like yourself is unable to get it going?
Have you had any success?
Regards
Aypee
Processor:AMD Athlone(TM)XP/MP/4 2004MHZ
Graphics:Nvidia GeFORCE Ti4600
Mem:512 MB
wINDOWS XP

maztec
12-06-2003, 02:12 PM
moved and bounced

Mr_Blonde_
12-06-2003, 06:59 PM
Hi Aypee

I realy do sympathise with you. I have to fix problems in work - I don't expect them to appear at home as well.

I did indeed manage to get further down the road so to speak and have just this minute finished the game with no more crashes or corrupted save files...a happy ending for me anyway.

The only changes that were made on my system were the reinstallation of the latest graphics drivers and directx 9.0b. Having done this I did get some cracking with the sound so I ran the dxdiag program and reduced the sound acceleration one notch which cured the cracking. I had to do this for a game a while back but that game didn't crash at all.
These changes may have cleaned up something that somehow didn't quite install right the first time (or second / third) even though every other game was happy or maybe the software linked in better with the game and made it understand things more as the drivers were installed after the game was. I don't think I'll ever know to be honest.

In regards to your problem all I can offer is that should you be advised to remove your graphics drivers and replace with others you should use a program like 'Driver Cleaner 2.5' or the other driver cleaner mentioned earlier. This should be done in between removing your old drivers but before using the new ones and may be woth a shot in your case anyway. It might also be worth seeing if there are any newer drivers for your sound card.
I see that you have a GeForce Ti4600. I have this card in one of my systems and found it to be faultless - the plot thickens!

Sorry I can't think of much here as I haven't seen your sort of problem at all. I wish you luck in getting it fixed real soon and maybe see you online after you've finished the single player....if we get in that is http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Regards
Mr Blonde