PDA

View Full Version : Persistent connection required?

zacpod
05-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Does HOMM7 have the same craptastic always-online requirement that HOMM6 had?
Love the franchise, but am not interested in this one if UPlay is required, or if the game is missing features when played offline like HOMM6...

Still pissed off that I wasted $60 on HOMM6 and was never able to get past the 2nd map due to getting dropped back to the title screen (without an autosave!) every time my Wifi/internet missed a ping...

Elle-One
05-08-2015, 08:45 PM
edit: Scratch that, I found an official statement: https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/community-q-a-our-answers-p2

2. Can I play offline with full game content?
As already mentioned previously, the game will only requires a one-time activation and then will be fully playable offline. Of course, if you want to play online multiplayer mode, you will need to be connected.

So that looks good. Fully playable should mean that there's no online-only content like the dynasty weapons in H6.

Fyrestorme
05-11-2015, 05:12 PM
glad to hear

KontaFox
05-14-2015, 11:55 PM
2. Can I play offline with full game content?
As already mentioned previously, the game will only requires a one-time activation and then will be fully playable offline. Of course, if you want to play online multiplayer mode, you will need to be connected.Good to hear that at least the company is trying to make some things right.

jscarey
05-15-2015, 08:02 PM
Yes, at least they've listened on one count. I'm still troubled by that interview where somebody was blaming all the negative responses to HOMM VI on the conservative fanbase being resistant to innovation.

Elle-One
05-15-2015, 08:48 PM
http://www.pcgamesn.com/heroes-of-might-magic-vii/heroes-of-might-magic-7-is-a-slave-to-its-conservative-fans

If anybody wanted to read it. No, I won't stop linking this at every possible opportunity.

Fyrestorme
05-18-2015, 05:27 PM
http://www.pcgamesn.com/heroes-of-might-magic-vii/heroes-of-might-magic-7-is-a-slave-to-its-conservative-fans

If anybody wanted to read it. No, I won't stop linking this at every possible opportunity.

Wow... that article is full of ****, and so is their source from Limbic. It sounds like a piece to save face on their ****-ups with h6.

I counted like 6 things patently wrong in the first couple paragraphs.

zacpod
05-25-2015, 11:16 PM
Lol, that article was a joke!

That's like painting the windows of a car black, and then blaming the driver when he can't see anything.

HOMM VI was an unplayable mess - in my case due to uPlay hating me, the game dropping to title screen and loosing all progress anytime wifi hiccupped, and the absolutely appalling decision to require an always-online connection in order to use the games best artifacts.

I really REALLY want to play an updated Heroes game, but I'm not willing to install uPlay or suffer thru an always-online experience to do it. I'm really hoping HOMM VII is better, but no way am I preordering again. Still feel totally ripped off for pre-ordering HOMM VI and never being able to get past the 2nd map.

Cainium
05-26-2015, 12:17 AM
I can understand the frustration from the developers mentioned in the article.

The problem with a series like Heroes is that it suffers age. It's the same like the Final Fantasy series.

The challange is to bring something new to the game without changing it's core. For example, someone could build a 1st Person Diablo Shooter, but that won't be "Diablo", even if the gear grind and endboss remain the same.

If you look at Heroes 6 and how simplified the gameplay is compared to Heroes 5 (Simplified town tree, no random skills, convertable towns, area of control which automatically takes over all mines, meaningless reputition system) "Bringing the game to the 21th century" can only mean "Making the gameplay a No-Brainer so that every consumer can attach to it as easily as possible". That's a problem of the whole modern gaming industry. "Real" innovations are missing.

jscarey
06-03-2015, 09:37 PM
What irritated me is that HOMM VI was not a particularly radical redesign of the game and I don't recall very many of the complaints being centered around the things that were genuinely new (like the Blood vs. Tears paths). Well, apart from the always online requirement for using dynasty weapons which was new, but I wouldn't really call it an innovation. It certainly IS risky and difficult with a well-loved series to adopt major changes, but HOMM VI is not comparable to games like HOMM IV or Civilization V which really did make significant changes to the core gameplay of their respective franchises.