PDA

View Full Version : Gunnery Help

qtv
02-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Hi, (newbie here)

Can someone post screen shots of the gunsight and the position of planes showing where to aim for accurate deflection shooting at various ranges - 50, 100, 150, 300 metres etc??
And at zoom in view and medium unzoom views?

And I have no idea how close I am to a plane when I look at it through the gunsight - at 100m does a fighter fill the circle, or is it half the size of the circle etc?

I'm a newbie having difficulty getting hits, I play against novice and can get behind them in shooting positions some of the time, but then have no idea what lead to give. Even when I hit them I don't know what I was aiming at or even see that I've hit them.

I also mainly use the most unzoomed view until I'm behind, then switch to medium view. When I switch to zoom in, I lose track of the other plane too easily if it evades, so unless its really stable, I use medium and can't see much. What do the experirenced palyers use? What is "realistic" compared to what a pilot actually did see?

qtv
02-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Hi, (newbie here)

Can someone post screen shots of the gunsight and the position of planes showing where to aim for accurate deflection shooting at various ranges - 50, 100, 150, 300 metres etc??
And at zoom in view and medium unzoom views?

And I have no idea how close I am to a plane when I look at it through the gunsight - at 100m does a fighter fill the circle, or is it half the size of the circle etc?

I'm a newbie having difficulty getting hits, I play against novice and can get behind them in shooting positions some of the time, but then have no idea what lead to give. Even when I hit them I don't know what I was aiming at or even see that I've hit them.

I also mainly use the most unzoomed view until I'm behind, then switch to medium view. When I switch to zoom in, I lose track of the other plane too easily if it evades, so unless its really stable, I use medium and can't see much. What do the experirenced palyers use? What is "realistic" compared to what a pilot actually did see?

resev
02-16-2004, 12:10 AM
Welcome to the community, qtv.

What you need is Sniper's Corner.
SC is a small Excell aplication made by a few members of the community.

In SC, you can alter everything from the target, to the situation scenario, to the tipe of recticle used, and also with what type of weapon.
The final result, is a theorical (but accurate) exemplification of when to shoot, and where it will hit.

For the SC program, ask the user Abraxa about it. He was one of the guys that worked on that Excell interface.

Of course, if you send me your e-mail trough the PT (Private Topic), i can send you a copy of the app.
Its very small, less then 800Kb, but has a lot of accurate content, alltough with a bit of an arcaic interface (better than nothing sez i).

Here's an exmaple of the aplication in work:

http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v37/Resev/SC-example-01.jpg

http://mysite.freeserve.com/resev/images/2-picture2.gif?0.3524929147671928

Friendly_flyer
02-16-2004, 01:04 AM
There are no "magical" settings that will allow you to hit. It all depends on speed and angle, bout your own and your opponents. The only way to really get this right is trial and error. Go offline, make yourself a few quick missions and try it out. When shooting, stop the game every now and then, go to outside view, and toggle the Ctrl. F2 or play around with the mouse until you see your enemy close up. The tracers will usually show you where the bullets are going. The I-16 type 24 is a really good learning plane. The green tracers give a good indication of where you are shooting, and the 20 mm's are quite useful.

Hope this helps.

Fly friendly!

Petter Bøckman
Norway

Friendly_flyer
02-16-2004, 01:06 AM
Wow, I have never heard of this program!

Fly friendly!

Petter Bøckman
Norway

King_Curtis
02-16-2004, 01:38 AM
For hardcore immersion go to http://www.greatergreen.com/il2/

Go down to files, tactics and load down the RAF gunnery school.

qtv
02-16-2004, 02:26 PM
Thanks everyone very helpful,

That picture in the right of the software program and the picture on pg 289 of the Raf manual is pretty much what I was wanting. (Now lets see if I can figure out PMs.) Is it accurate for FB? Has anyone got any in game shots of approximately where you would fire to hit something?

And any feedback about the various views available?

ZG77_Lignite
02-16-2004, 03:24 PM
For simple practice sessions, try turning on Icons and setting enemy aircraft to 'Empty' to learn ranges, closures and angles, though I would encourage you to fly with more realistic settings as soon as you are ready, as it will immerse you in the genre more and give you a real feeling of accomplishment.

For live gun run practice, bombers are very effective (as they are slow, and require high hit percentage to damage significantly). Again, set them to 'empty' to avoid enemy fire if this is a problem. Personally I feel that once you get used to the idea 'shoot where they are going to be, not were they are at', you'll be able to translate the concept to turning, climbing and diving aircraft without a lot of dificulty.