PDA

View Full Version : Planes in Vietnam and Korea

adadaead
05-10-2004, 07:53 AM
I'm not asking about jet planes, but i know the propeller engine planes, where there just wanna know if anybody knows what those planes were and where just used as a small bomber or as a fighter too not against jets but still, and where these planes just old WW2 fighter or they were much advanced than that.

Only in the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.

adadaead
05-10-2004, 07:53 AM
I'm not asking about jet planes, but i know the propeller engine planes, where there just wanna know if anybody knows what those planes were and where just used as a small bomber or as a fighter too not against jets but still, and where these planes just old WW2 fighter or they were much advanced than that.

Only in the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.

Cpt.Confidence
05-10-2004, 08:34 AM
Lets see. In Vietnam there was the Lockheed C-130 Hercules, Douglas A-1 Skyraider, Douglas C-47, Rockwell OV-10 Bronco, Cessna O-1 Bird Dog, Cessna O-2 Skymaster, DeHavilland C-7 Caribou, and several others that presently slip my mind. In Korea there was the Skyraider, Corsair, Mustang, and several different cargo, logistical, and bombers left over from the second world war.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/p-40.gif

CornbreadPattie
05-10-2004, 08:45 AM
Propellor planes used in Korea/Vietnam included:

Korea:
F8F Bearcats
AD-1 Skyraiders
F4U-4 Corsairs
TBF Avengers
A/B-26 Invaders
B-17 Flying Fortresses - was used as a rescue plane, and to insert agents into enemy territory at night. Also used as a personal transport for many high ranks.
B-29 Superfortress
P-51D/K
Seafires
Sea Fury
Yak-9
Il-10
Pe-2
C-47
C-54
L-4

Most aircraft were used for ground support or recon. They mostly retained their old roles, except for the B-17, which carried a boat under it's bomb bay. The planes had mostly been upgraded in some way or another, so they were a little different from their WWII types. US Insignia had now added its bar. That's all I can think of right now.

Vietnam:
F4U- used by france
F8F - used by french
JU-52s - used by french
Ki-43s - used by french
Ju-88s - used by french
C-47
A/C-47
B-26 Invader - USAF had officially adopted the 'B' for the aircraft, since the B-26 Marauder wasn't used as much anymore.
B-17 - used to drop agents off, and for supply
A-1 Skyraider
C-121 - not around in WWII, but they were props
EC-121 - ", used for air early warining
E-1 - "
E-2 - "
L-6

That's All I can think of now.

adadaead
05-10-2004, 09:16 AM
Wow you people are amazing, no your not people your like superacepilotsyborgs from future who know everything about planes, you people area amazing

XyZspineZyX
05-10-2004, 11:30 AM
For Korea, you're forgetting the F-82 Twin Mustang. I believe this was the first prop plane to score in Korea.

LilHorse
05-10-2004, 12:34 PM
I know that T-28s were also used in Viet Nam for ground attack by certain "special" air units for certain "clients". Namely the 90th TAC for the CIA.

El Turo
05-10-2004, 12:39 PM
A very close friend of the family was a "Puff the Magic Dragon" driver and oh-man are THOSE some stories to hear.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL

Skarphol
05-10-2004, 03:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Fairy Firefly were present in at least one of the wars, representing both Australia and Great Britain I think.

Even though I've never read it, it seems reasonable to me to assume that the brits used the Sea Hornet sometimes during the Korean conflict.. anyone read anything about this?

Skarphol

"Trying is the first step towards failure!" Homer Simpson

Slickun
05-10-2004, 03:23 PM
T-28's were also used by the SVAF. Ky flew one.