07-14-2003, 12:18 AM
nt = No Text

XyZspineZyX
07-14-2003, 12:18 AM
nt = No Text

XyZspineZyX
07-14-2003, 12:20 AM
Sorry...

Anyone know anything of the winter war campaign who was anonced at IL2 center but later wihtdrawn?

Popse

XyZspineZyX
07-14-2003, 11:33 PM
I think there are not all nescessery maps available for such campaign - no maps north of lake ladoga.

The maps of Isthmus is not without faults.
The Summa village where red army got thrue Finnish lines, forcing Finns back against Mannerhein line, is´nt there at all - I can locate it by crossreference to real wartime maps but the village aint there.

Further more it would be nice if FMB included items for building a defencive line with trenches and hardpoints and such.

With those issues and the maps north of lake Ladoga we could really get on making missions picturing the 'Motti warfare', where Finnish troops of lower numbers over and over again wiped out large Red army units.

With the prescent maps that is impossible to do with the
'historic accuracy' in mind.

Foreign volunteer units were also present to help the finns out.

Swedish volunteer air units as well as American volunteers were mostly based on northern parts of the front.

Swedes and Finns were making airstrikes and some groundefforts towards the railroad to Murmansk(Leningrad to Murmansk).

There are lots of interesting battles in the area to be simulated although these battles were small in comparison with the great battles that took place elsewhere in the world these days. But for the Finnish people the sacrifices in the war against Russia were almost as costly as for Russians against Germany. We have to remember these countries were among the poorest ones on the continent when war broke out and both of the countries - Finland and Russia, were almost overpowered of their enemys from start. Finland able to survive the war and Russia to beat and totally wipe out Germany. The costs for these in human
is hard to get a real understanding of.

I really hope this simulator eventually will end up to be
the real Forgotten Battles simulator.

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 06:38 PM
Totaly agree, we really need strongpoint and trenches, and there are sevral resons for an northen map, but you could still on this map have sevral important air battles from the winterwar like the Soviet bombing of finnish cities (Molotows bredbasket /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ) and of curse the bigest finnish airoperation in the war aginst the russians advacing over the bay of vipuri!

But so many planes are what il understand allready flyble like fokker xxi gladiator and fiat g50!

Popse

MRR 7

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 07:01 PM
Was "The winter war" officially withdrawn, or was it withdrawn in a sence since Luthier disappeared without a trace?

No flame, just friendly question.

Regards

<center>

http://www.webforum.nu/member/Fornixx/190.JPG</p>
<center>

I'm not scared of dying, I just don't want to</p>

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 07:15 PM
Thats what ill like to find out /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif