PDA

View Full Version : Should I (we) follow the ACV marketing?

dimbismp
05-05-2015, 02:03 PM
I think one of the main reasons many people are disappointed by the recent games(i am talking about AC3 and AcU,but also ACRo and even ACIV for some)is the incredible overhyping by Ubi.It is common knowledge that if Ubi is excellent at something,it definetely is marketing,releasing incredible trailers etc.
At first sight,releasing many trailers is good to feed the hype during the many months before the release.On the other hand,they pretty much spoil the experience:
1)The campaign has usually a medium length,so giving away so many cutscenes in the countless trailers actually reveal plot points and many characters.This was really evident in ACIV,but i will refer to ACU,as it is more recent to my memory.The trailers revealed Elise,Bellec(including his betrayal),the whole assassin council,both the "father figure" deaths,Napoleon,De Sade...I bet that the story would feel more interesting to me if i had just heard the initial statement made by amancio:"ACU takes place in the French revolution and revolves around a redemption quest"
2)The trailers not only reveal all the gameplay mechanics(which is good i guess,because i have to know what i am buying) but also all the types of quests etc.Again,using ACU for an example,it would be way cooler if we weren't aware of the murder mysteries and especially the helix-MD missions
3)This is completely my fault,but watching all the trailers made me, along with other people, figure out the whole Paris map along with the monuments etc
4)Finally,this doesn't apply to me,but many people kept complaining about the graphics,downgrade etc,because they created a false image of the game because of the extreme overmarketing

All in all,i believe that following a game's marketing really closely(especially if the company itself overhypes the product),will severely harm your game experience,by spoiling story/game elements and creating false hopes(see ac3).OBVIOUSLY,UBI DOESN'T MAKE YOU WATCH ANY TRAILER,OR READ ANY INTERVIEW.
So,what i plan to do with ACV is follow the game during E3 and basically going dark immediately after that until release.In other words the plan is to watch the cinematic trailer and the demo ONLY ONCE and then go dark.It will be extremely tough and i will most likely fail,but this is the best thing to do IMO,and i advise all of you to try it.If we succeed,we will definetely like the game far more.

m4r-k7
05-05-2015, 02:10 PM
What would be cool but so hard would be just to not even look at the reveal / E3 trailer and gameplay and all future info and just buy the game completely blind. I think that would be pretty fun as you would have no idea what to expect at all. I probably couldn't do that though!

phoenix-force411
05-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Keep the demo missions in the final game and script them well too. You have no idea how stupid "Do Not Go Gently..." mission was in ACIV compared to the demo. The part where Edward looks at the firing cannons was so badly scripted, because it didn't transition well from the person firing the firework to Edward coming out of cover to observe the incoming cannon balls. Not to mention how stupid it was for Ubi to present a crouching system only to confirm that it would not be in the final product for ACIV.

JamesFaith007
05-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Except completely new games, in known series I always looked only on reveal trailer and that is all.

No long gameplay videos, no characters introducing videos, just basic info from articles. It works great for me last twenty years.

ze_topazio
05-05-2015, 03:07 PM
You should always take the marketing of any game(or anything for that matter) with a grain of salt.

Megas_Doux
05-05-2015, 03:34 PM
You should always take the marketing of any game(or anything for that matter) with a grain of salt.

This!!!!

IŽll follow it, but without HYPING.

Xstantin
05-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Just don't try to repeat and reenact some awesome E3 demo.

#whywasn'titinthegame

m4r-k7
05-05-2015, 04:14 PM
To be fair, the E3 Unity gameplay demo was basically what we got. They just didn't show any bugs and you couldn't tell that it controlled badly. The Unity's marketing was basically "look we have this new feature" which they did have, but it was the way that it was implemented that sucked (and you can only know that by playing the game). What did the demoes have that the game didn't? (apart from that awesome parkour stunt of Notre Dame and the assassination mission) I mean you could see all the NPC pop-in in the demoes and you could see a few glitches as well.

Xstantin
05-05-2015, 04:28 PM
^That's just usually the first thing you'll see in YT comments rewatching it later :) like ACIII's demo or Black Flag cover and crowd blend interaction

The only thing which annoys myself a bit is that UI usually looks slicker in earlier footage, but I don't think many people gonna bother

VoXngola
05-05-2015, 04:33 PM
It's not about following the marketing, it's about letting it influence you.
I followed the marketing of AC 4 and ACU and still never got hyped. AC3 destroyed my hype meter forever I guess.

king-hailz
05-05-2015, 05:20 PM
I know I won't be able to do this but I hope you make it through and post your experience afterwards! Tell us howay the experience was!

Hans684
05-05-2015, 06:43 PM
I'm following but Victory isn't my highest priority.

HiddenKiller612
05-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Hype... isn't all on the developer. Fans are what build the momentum... Ubi just nurse it along.

Sushiglutton
05-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Of course you should! AC marketing is world class, the games not so much lately. Logic dictates that you should follow the marketing and skip the game. That's what I did with Unity and it worked out great!

LoyalACFan
05-06-2015, 01:18 AM
You should watch whatever you want, but realize that most of it is total BS. It's like watching the E3 CGI vids, you know the game isn't going to be nearly as awesome as what they show in them, but they're damn cool little 3-minute films.

As for me, I'll follow the marketing, but to be honest Victory is dead last in my hype train. Witcher 3 -> Arkham Knight -> MGS5 -> Just Cause 3 -> Mad Max (I actually think it might be a surprise gem)-> Victory. I'm sure I'll inevitably buy it, but it sure as hell won't be at launch and it might not be until I can get it used. I only have so much money to spend on games, and quite frankly Ubisoft hasn't done a good job of convincing me that their products are worth my cash lately.

kriegerdesgottes
05-06-2015, 02:44 AM
Speaking of the marketing of the next game.. Does anyone else find it weird they still haven't revealed a teaser for the next game? Usually they do it in April or early May to get you hyped up for E3. I'm wondering if they are holding off because we have already seen so much of Victory that they didn't want us to see combined with the negative feedback they've been getting for pushing games out so frequently.

VoXngola
05-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Speaking of the marketing of the next game.. Does anyone else find it weird they still haven't revealed a teaser for the next game? Usually they do it in April or early May to get you hyped up for E3. I'm wondering if they are holding off because we have already seen so much of Victory that they didn't want us to see combined with the negative feedback they've been getting for pushing games out so frequently.

Remember Unity? It was supposed to be announced at E3. Hell, when ACU's senior producer stepped on stage he said "I'm here to announce ACU". It was because of these leaks that we knew about ACU before E3. They wanted a similar approach with Victory, but you know what happened. They changed the way they do reveals.

It'll either be announced at E3, or we'll get somethiing on the 12th of May, that's where Ubisoft will do its earnings call and according to IGN they will reveal more about AC during it.

D.I.D.
05-06-2015, 02:40 PM
If you've already decided to buy the game and you've got the willpower to do it, sure, skip all the teasers. While the drip of new information can work to maintain your excitement, there's no possible way that seeing video ahead of time can enhance your enjoyment when you finally play the game.

Imagine if you hadn't seen the Notre Dame black box when you played it for the first time, for example. I think most of us probably watched that several times over, since these gameplay demos often become part of developer interviews too. There's no question that we robbed ourselves of that mission by seeing it in action first - we probably all followed the paths we'd seen to get up towards the ceiling, already knowing how it would affect our visibility. That's why I never get angry about gameplay demos like the co-op one, when they're not in the game I play in Oct/Nov. That's the ideal kind of demonstration, in my view.

Civona
05-07-2015, 05:55 AM
This time I am limiting myself to watching the cinematic trailer and first gameplay walkthrough.

I won't read or watch any interviews or read any blog content, nor preview impression articles.

I also won't go to any forums after the day of the reveal.

I know what to basically expect at this point. I'll buy the game if I'm feeling in the mood for some AC, and I'll be happily surprised if it transcends my expectations!

dimbismp
05-13-2015, 10:59 AM
The reveal didn't get me excited,which helps my cause i guess...So,i am going dark until the release(when i will obviously seek your help about the game's quality),with the exception of E3.So,see you in a month's time and then hopefully after many many months.Farewell!