PDA

View Full Version : New System makes for tricky flying.

Worf101
07-07-2004, 07:50 AM
Just built a new gaming rig cause FB caused my old Athalon 2000 based rig to overheat, fry, choke, gag and wheeze like hte geezer it was. I'm running this now.

AMD Athallon 64Fx-53
Asus A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset ATX AMD MB
1 Gig of OCZ 3500 unbuffered Ram
2 Western Digital 74 Gig Raptors in Raid 1
DVD ASUS 16X DVD
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A
CPU FAN SPIRE|SP703C3-1 KK3 AMD
Cooler Master Wave Master Case 500 watt power supply.
M-Audio Revolution sound card.

No new graphics card as of yet, cause you can't get the X800XT for less than a kings ransom so I'm using a cheepo 9600SE from Xtasy. It runs well enough for me to get far superior play than my old rig BUT!!!!!

Wow is everything a lot more sensitive than it used to be. New Saitek USB joystick is real twitchy, can't fly straight without spins when before I just was able to kinda cruise along...
Any suggestions?

Da Worfster...

PS: is there a way to transfer my campaign progress from my old machine to my new machine so I don't have to start from scratch?

Thanks..

Worf101
07-07-2004, 07:50 AM
Just built a new gaming rig cause FB caused my old Athalon 2000 based rig to overheat, fry, choke, gag and wheeze like hte geezer it was. I'm running this now.

AMD Athallon 64Fx-53
Asus A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset ATX AMD MB
1 Gig of OCZ 3500 unbuffered Ram
2 Western Digital 74 Gig Raptors in Raid 1
DVD ASUS 16X DVD
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A
CPU FAN SPIRE|SP703C3-1 KK3 AMD
Cooler Master Wave Master Case 500 watt power supply.
M-Audio Revolution sound card.

No new graphics card as of yet, cause you can't get the X800XT for less than a kings ransom so I'm using a cheepo 9600SE from Xtasy. It runs well enough for me to get far superior play than my old rig BUT!!!!!

Wow is everything a lot more sensitive than it used to be. New Saitek USB joystick is real twitchy, can't fly straight without spins when before I just was able to kinda cruise along...
Any suggestions?

Da Worfster...

PS: is there a way to transfer my campaign progress from my old machine to my new machine so I don't have to start from scratch?

Thanks..

horseback
07-07-2004, 09:10 AM
Can't help you with your stick problems, except to point out that you can expect different computers to 'fly' differently even with the same controllers. You'll just have to adjust your joystick settings in the game until you hit upon a happy medium.

As for moving your pilot careers to a new computor, simply copy your FB 'Users' folder in your old computer's HD (I believe it's something like C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\Il2 Forgotten Battles\Users) to your FB Users folder in the new one. It will overwrite the existing Users folder with the contents of the one from your old computer.

I've done it a couple of times, but I've had no joy transferring the files within that folder to another CPU (i.e., moving 'Schultz' from Users in CPU #1 to Users in CPU #2). You have to overwrite the whole folder, as far as I know.

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

mortoma
07-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Ummmm, Don't forget about the Missions folder and it never hurts to use your old Dgen folder if you hack files like I do. Also Records folder to save tracks and Paintschemes to save any skins you have. But you for sure will need to copy over the Users and Missions folders. No way around it.

p1ngu666
07-07-2004, 09:34 AM
in il2 u can adust control sensitivity and stuff...
also calibrate ya stick in wind0ze

http://www.pingu666.modded.me.uk/mysig3.jpg
<123_GWood_JG123> NO SPAM!

XyZspineZyX
07-07-2004, 10:09 AM
You add new equipment, and especially new gear and you have to go through a period where you just flat out suck. You're moving fingers towards buttons that are somewhere else, nothing "feels right" and you're just a big flying seive.

Been there. Done that. Nothing for it but to improve each sortie until you get used to the new gear.

TugZooey
07-07-2004, 10:15 AM
As pingu suggested, don't forget to check in the input/control (or conf file). When I switched sticks a while back I had the same problem. It defaulted everything to 100s across the board.

http://img73.photobucket.com/albums/v221/milank/grab0002.png

VW-IceFire
07-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Change the sensitivity settings for your joystick or play with the settings in FB which offer some pretty good options.

I have most of the defaults on but you may want to lower the curve so that you have less sensitivity. Rudder is an intersting one, my aim is better since I set the rudder sensitivity into a curve instead of a flat line.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

tfu_iain1
07-07-2004, 11:04 AM
actually, you could copy your whole sturmovik directory to the new computer without installing IL2- the reg keys only seem necessary to install aces!! this is how i got il2 on my network computers, just copy. plus that way you transfer all your skins, tracks, custom missions, mission cache, patches, and your joystick sensitivity settings... worth remembering for anyone else getting a new machine

westcoastphil
07-07-2004, 12:21 PM
I've just upgraded to a new CPU/MOBO combo and I asked the same question about files. Here's a link from the tech support guys:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=232108474

http://members.cox.net/riknbkr330/vox_girl_stand.jpg
Westcoastphil = Voxman