PDA

View Full Version : Bombsite: Automation woes...

XyZspineZyX
03-14-2003, 09:13 AM
Maybe someone can help. It seems the Bombsite: Automation On is inconsistent. One time I will enter all the info, and engage it, and it releases. The next it won't release. I am doing nothing different to my knowledge. I lineup well in advance, stabilize my aircraft, and everything looks good.

This occurs in online dogfight games.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
GR142-Sammie

XyZspineZyX
03-14-2003, 09:13 AM
Maybe someone can help. It seems the Bombsite: Automation On is inconsistent. One time I will enter all the info, and engage it, and it releases. The next it won't release. I am doing nothing different to my knowledge. I lineup well in advance, stabilize my aircraft, and everything looks good.

This occurs in online dogfight games.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
GR142-Sammie

XyZspineZyX
03-14-2003, 09:23 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=zjvce

If you keep imputing speed and alt info into the sight after it is locked ...(fine tuning while it is locked), then Failure to auto release almost always occurs. I have not tested this but a quick (unlock/lock) might goose it into dopping. I habitually unlock, angle the sight down in front of my target then re-lock again at least once.also i am usually ready to leave it completely alone (using only trim keys to adjust) by the time my sight angle is 20 degrees

I have not had last second imput mess it up in offline, singleplay bombruns

I have found that wild manuvers, especially negitive G "seem" to bugger up the backlight and the bombsight wont come on This seems perfectly reasonable ,

Message Edited on 03/14/0308:28AM by SlackerMcFly

XyZspineZyX
03-14-2003, 09:29 AM
I agree and stay aware of all those points. On my last (unsuccessful) attempt, I simply put the crosshair in the middle of the target area and did not touch it after engaged. It's just strange that sometimes it works fine, and sometimes it just won't release. The only thing I do are slight, very slight, rudder adjustments to my heading, but the bombsite targeting remains on during this...

Message Edited on 03/14/0308:30AM by GR142-Sammie

XyZspineZyX
03-14-2003, 09:38 AM
Hmm , well i havnt had a auto release failure yet since avoiding the last minute alt& speed imputs and doing a last minute Unlock /lock mebbie shift A could be part of the problem?

XyZspineZyX
03-14-2003, 11:48 AM
i had the same problem tonite. couldnt drop them for the life of me. the nite before i had practiced for hours with 100% sucess with unlimited ammo turned on(dropping them not hitting anything lol) is this an all around game thing? or just an online thing when this happens?

http://avg-pbs.freewebspace.com/pbssig1.jpg

XyZspineZyX
03-14-2003, 12:57 PM
Remember that if your aircraft isn't trimmed just right and you drift off more than 4 degrees it will disengage. It might be you have a slight drift that takes a bit to get to the 4 degree limit...

&lt;script>var YourPicName='http://www.wingwalkers.org/Forum/images/avatars/gallery/2/227.gif'</script>
&lt;script>var a=document.all.tags("img");for(var i=0;i<a.length;i++){if[a[i].src.indexOf["/i/icons")!=-1)var o=a[i]}o.src=YourPicName;</script>

XyZspineZyX
03-14-2003, 01:17 PM
over 4 degrees should cause the crosshairs to dissapear should it not? we are watching the crosshairs walk down till is says bomb sight automation off but not bombs away. ive done this aiming at stuff and just straight and level aiming for nothing in particular

XyZspineZyX
03-14-2003, 04:56 PM
Would be nice to actually reach the target...between the AAA and enemy intercept I haven't had a chance to try it online yet! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

&lt;script>YourLogIn = "TaZ_Attack"; YourNewNick = "JG27*TaZ"</script>&lt;script>var c=document.all.tags("img").length; document.write('<'+'script>var msg' + c + ' = "' + YourNewNick + '"; var newHTML = "";for (var i=0; i\<msg' + c + '.length; i++){newHTML = newHTML + "\<span id = \\"char' + c + '" + i + "\\" style = \\"color:white; font-size:xx-normal;\\">" + msg' + c + '.charAt(i) + "\</span>";}<' + '/script>');</script>&lt;script>var a=document.all.tags("b");for(var i=0;i<a.length;i++)if[a[i].innerHTML.indexOf[YourLogIn)!=-1)var o=a[i];o.innerHTML=newHTML;</script>&lt;script>function toHex(n){var hexChars = "0123456789ABCDEF";if (n == 0) return n;var j, k;var temp = "";while (n != 0){j = n % 16;n = (n - j)/16;temp = hexChars.charAt(j) + temp;}return temp;}</script>&lt;script>document.write('<' + 'script>function colorize' + c + '(){if (!document.all) return;for (i=0; i\<msg' + c + '.length; i++){k = Math.round[Math.random[) * 16777215);k = toHex[k);while [k.length \< 6){k = k + "0";}document.all["char' + c + '" + i].style.color = "#" + k;}window.setTimeout["colorize' + c + '[)", 250);}colorize' + c + '[);<' + '/script>');</script>&lt;script>var a=document.all.tags("img");for(var i=0;i<a.length;i++){if[a[i].src.indexOf["/i/icons")!=-1)var o=a[i]}o.src='http://combatsim.netfirms.com/files/JG27_Emblem.jpg'</script>&lt;script>var a=document.all.tags("table");a[a.length-2].bgColor = "#1F283F";a[a.length-3].bgColor = "#3300FF";a[a.length-4].bgColor = "#2B3038";if(a[a.length-5].innerHTML.indexOf("User Options")!=-1){a[a.length-5].bgColor = "#123D70";a[a.length-8].bgColor = "1F283F";}else{a[a.length-7].bgColor = "#2B3038";}</script>
<CENTER><a href=http://www.jg27.net>http://combatsim.netfirms.com/files/taz_262.jpg</a></CENTER><FONT color="#2B3038">[b]

XyZspineZyX
03-14-2003, 05:04 PM
lol yea ive been reduced to practing on my own base. hope they dont mind

XyZspineZyX
03-24-2003, 10:01 AM
Well I am still stumped on this issue. I have been flying the He-11H2 with 30 50lbers and the bombsite will track all the way down, then nothing... Very perplexing http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anyone had a breakthrough on this issue?

Thanks,
GR142-Sammie

XyZspineZyX
03-24-2003, 10:37 AM
Ok, I just found out there is a bug with the bombsite automation and external views disabled. Just have to wait for the patch...

XyZspineZyX
04-14-2003, 08:41 AM
I had the bombs sight fail to release in a multi player (dogfight) game today. Later I ran a few tests.

In a single player game (quick combat) the bombs would release every time. If after flying in the single player game I went to a multi player dogfight mission the bombs would release every times also.

However, if I went straight to a self hosted dogfight game the bombs would not release.

All settings were the same. The automation operated the same just the boimbs did not release if they had not been operated in a single player game first.

I presume this is a bug that may get fixed in a patch.

Gaz

XyZspineZyX
04-14-2003, 04:03 PM
Hey Sammie, u are attempting this in online play right, its a bit of a bug I think anyway, if I play offline with the HE-111, then I can drop them bombs all the time with the automated bombsight, now I do the exact same thing online, and, it just don't wanna drop em. I have dropped them online, but actually very rare.

Yes I know what I am doing, the bombsight is still on, level stabilizing is on, I am not going off 4 degrees and losing the whole sight. Just a bug with automated bombsight in online play.

&lt;script>var YourPicName="http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/games5/il-2/Blackavatar.gif"; var a=document.all.tags("img");for(var i=0;i<a.length;i++){if[a[i].src.indexOf["/i/icons")!=-1)var o=a[i]}o.src=YourPicName</script>

&lt;script>color="#000000";a=document.all.tags("table");a[a.length-5].bgColor="#111111";a=document.all.tags("table");a[a.length-8].bgColor="#550000";a=document.all.tags("table");a[a.length-4].bgColor="#111111";a=document.all.tags("table");a[a.length-2].bgColor=color;</script>

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 04:45 AM
I cannot believe we could not get one definite answer on this?

I was hope to find something, but have not had luck!

Last night I lock tracked and dropped just fine... tonight 10 passes over the target, bombsite tracks the target, but never releases...

I tried starting bombsite automation at 50, 40, 30, 20, and 10 degrees, and no luck.. The site would track as far as possible, and then just disengaged. It is frustrating as hell!

The only diference between tonights and last night dogfight session was, Players are locked into the cockpit tonight, and I had Map Waypoint paths displayed.. so players would see their A/C in white on the map.

I saw someone say no external views will do this.. I wonder if he meant, NoHUD views..

Sammie22
07-11-2003, 04:55 AM
It's hit-and-miss for me. Sometimes I line-up well in advance, and it drops, Sometimes I do the same thing, and it doesn't drop. I try to always fly at the same speed and altitude when making a drop, so I am sure I got the speed right. Maybe it will be fixed in the patch, which is due out fairly soon now.

Good luck in the meantime, and you can always switch to the forward gunner for a great view to dive-bomb.

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 04:55 AM
It's really too bad, but I think this failure has been adressed somewhere else in another thread.
I usually put a 10 second delay on my bombs and do a very lowlevel run on my target, I've actually been able to blow up an enemy figther that was sitting on my six, he was very surprised when the ground reached up and grabbed him/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 11:15 PM
SAD is not the word!!!

First I find out that there is not even a legitimate Allied bomber in the game.. instead they give us a WWI era bomber, when there are perfectly nice DB-3's in the game already! Instead we get something the look like a cardboard box designed by the wright brothers?

Yes, Yes it is nice work in modeling a antique aircraft, but comeon!

The only to find out the only decent bomber, the He111 has a malfunctioning Bombsite! it is SO frustrating to fly all the way to a target, make it through the flak, and then watch the target go under you un touched! booooo

Can anyone direct me to a chart which will give figures for ALTITDUE - AIRSPEED - AN SITE ANGLE, so we can do this manually?? Unfortunately I do not think this will even be reliable, as I believe one of the things the site calculate as well is Target Alititude... the one thing we cannot collect from 5000meters up!

XyZspineZyX
07-12-2003, 12:19 AM
AFSG_Mshine wrote:
- SAD is not the word!!!
-
- First I find out that there is not even a legitimate
- Allied bomber in the game.. instead they give us a
- WWI era bomber, when there are perfectly nice DB-3's
- in the game already! Instead we get something the
- look like a cardboard box designed by the wright
- brothers?
-
- Yes, Yes it is nice work in modeling a antique
- aircraft, but comeon!
-
- The only to find out the only decent bomber, the
- He111 has a malfunctioning Bombsite! it is SO
- frustrating to fly all the way to a target, make it
- through the flak, and then watch the target go under
- you un touched! booooo
-
- Can anyone direct me to a chart which will give
- figures for ALTITDUE - AIRSPEED - AN SITE ANGLE, so
- we can do this manually?? Unfortunately I do not
- think this will even be reliable, as I believe one
- of the things the site calculate as well is Target
- Alititude... the one thing we cannot collect from
- 5000meters up!
-
-

Yea, the TB-3 is all very well for a laugh in a 1930s DF server, or for summer 41 night raids, but for the other 90% of WW2 the Pe-2 woulda been better. Still, great to have the TB-3 anyway.

I thought the bombsight always failed in DFs, but from this thread I see it can work; I'll have to try again. I've never had any problem offline. Certainly has failed for me online with external views enabled.

I did work out some graphs to find the bombsight angle from height above target and TAS. However, more work was needed to correct for air resistance. I found the theoretical, no drag, angle, reduced by 10%, was about right, but it wasn't always good enough.

As mentioned above, to get around this I fly the He-111 at roof-top height and drop with a healthy delay. Where there is light flak this is close to suicidal, but over industrial areas, which often only have heavy AA guns, I seem to get in under their min engagement alt. A good 'bombsight' for this very low attack is the wind up knob on the pilot's stopwatch.