PDA

View Full Version : Ambient music absolutey needs to return

Codarsnacht
05-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Hi all,

It STILL baffles me how Unity does not include any ambient music while exploring the vast city of Paris. In each installment in this series, exploring has been my favourite activity and while I also enjoy it in Unity, the lack of music really impacts the experience negatively.

While I love hearing the sounds of the Parisian streets, the game just feels so much more lonelier than it ought to be. In all of the games that had ambient music, their exploration would have been nothing without this music. A large amount of the enjoyment of roaming Florence and Havana can be attributed to the music that plays in each city. It creates tone, atmosphere and mood, and I really just don't understand why Ubisoft would cut such a key element in creating ambiance in their game. Paris is absolutely stunning, but with music, it could have been even better.

I know that in particular missions, there is a certain amount of background music but this usually fades after some time, which is disappointing.

I really, really hope some sort of ambient, exploration music appears in Victory. What do you guys think?

Shahkulu101
05-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Unity had some very subtle ambient music that you could barely notice that was quite nice - but I do agree ambient music needs to be brought back in it's full form.

Even if it was somewhat artificial, the atmosphere that was created in AC2-ACR (AC4 was good as well) was serene and stirred so many emotions.

Sushiglutton
05-02-2015, 07:32 PM
But then you can't here that wonderful tingling sound from the chests. Getting players to open all of them surely is way more important than atmosphere?

phoenix-force411
05-02-2015, 07:35 PM
It's in Unity, but it happens randomly. I don't really seem to mind it now that I'm used to it ever since ACIII. You can just play songs while playing your game if you feel like you're not hearing anything at all. Just play it on a USB drive.

Codarsnacht
05-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Shahkulu101, yes I agree that the small amount of music that does play is quite nice. There just needs to be more of it.

Sushiglutton - lol, that's true. Maybe they can tackle that problem by putting in less chests to 'listen' out for?

phoenix-force411 - it doesn't happen randomly for me. Music only plays when a mission is active, any kind of mission, and even at that, it may not stay on the full time the mission is taking place. I sometimes do play ambient music while i play the game, but i shouldn't have to.

Xstantin
05-02-2015, 07:48 PM
I did the USB music thingy for Unity.
Still it was a bit weird, after ACIII people were asking to bring it back - Black Flag did so and it was nice, then Unity came along and decided to drop it. Go figure :confused: I'ts a bit pessimistic of me but I think the games will never have same level of ambient music as the earlier ones anyway.

phoenix-force411
05-02-2015, 08:37 PM
I cannot stand ACB's ambient musics. I like the soundtracks, but they were so darn loud.

Namikaze_17
05-03-2015, 01:15 AM
Meh, I can do or do without it honestly. It can be really nice and calming at times, or really annoying and overly dramatic like ACB's ambients.

But on that note: https://soundcloud.com/sarahschachner/london

I feel a connection... :rolleyes:

m4r-k7
05-03-2015, 02:05 AM
Meh, I can do or do without it honestly. It can be really nice and calming at times, or really annoying and overly dramatic like ACB's ambients.

But on that note: https://soundcloud.com/sarahschachner/london

I feel a connection... :rolleyes:

OMG I feel it too! That actually sounds a bit like the AC 4 main theme tune.

Namikaze_17
05-03-2015, 02:18 AM
OMG I feel it too! That actually sounds a bit like the AC 4 main theme tune.

You're right. I also hear a bit of AC4 in there. :)

Shahkulu101
05-03-2015, 03:20 AM
If Sarah is composing the soundtrack, then yay!

Her work on AC4 was great and her Unity tracks were by far the best IMO.

EmptyCrustacean
05-03-2015, 01:06 PM
A Tour of Venice - nuff said.

rrebe
05-05-2015, 09:57 PM
If there's room for ambient music then sure, why not, but I'd also like to have the option to turn it off if I want to (I don't remember if there was an option like that in the previous games?). In Unity I wasn't really even missing the music, the streets were noisy enough as they were, it could have been too much very quickly.

kriegerdesgottes
05-06-2015, 02:48 AM
Agreed. It needs to come back. It's so important to the feel of the game and it makes everything seem so much more interesting. Without it the game quickly becomes boring and soulless. These games need Ambient music in freeroam after the game is beat.

Civona
05-06-2015, 05:06 AM
I was once inclined to fully agree, but as Unity improved the quality of the normal ambient sound so much, I'm not as sure. I think that perhaps there should be a bunch of low-key scene-setting songs in freeroam, and fairly decent spaces in-between each of them.

Ambient music in previous games dominated the soundscape, and I think part of it was covering for the relative sparseness of the ambient noise in those games. It's the equivalent of emotionally manipulative music in movies during intense scenes: it makes you feel like the world is more authentic than it actually is. But now in Unity there's so much more of a sense of a living world, people banging drums and shooting cannons in the distance, more musicians and folks in pubs singing. I feel like Black Flag showed how powerful it can be to hear the actual authentic songs of an era when wandering around.

But again, I do think that the music should play an intermittent role in the soundscape of the open world, especially if it's as evocative as the music in Unity.

pirate1802
05-06-2015, 08:34 AM
A Tour of Venice - nuff said.

Nuff said indeed. I can't imagine why somebody would even think of not having ambient tracks..