PDA

View Full Version : OT: Book References

MystiqBlackCat
09-13-2004, 07:56 PM
I am looking for some informative books on air combat on the Eastern front during WWII. I know that alot of you guys who post on these boards are history nuts like myself and could probably point me in some good directions. Secondary sources are great and any books that contain primary sources would be fantastic as I am writing a lengthy research paper on the subject.

S! and thank you!

MystiqBlackCat
09-13-2004, 07:56 PM
I am looking for some informative books on air combat on the Eastern front during WWII. I know that alot of you guys who post on these boards are history nuts like myself and could probably point me in some good directions. Secondary sources are great and any books that contain primary sources would be fantastic as I am writing a lengthy research paper on the subject.

S! and thank you!

JorBR
09-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Essential reading:
Black Cross/Red Star by Christer Bergstrom and others; Vol3 will be released soon, Vol1 will be reprinted.

Some others are:
Stuka Pilot by Rudel
Graf & Grislawski by Bergstrom
Attack of the Airacobras by D.F. Loza

From Osprey:
FW-190 aces of the russian front
Bf-109 aces of the russian front
Soviet Aces of World War 2
LaGG & Lavochkin Aces World War 2
JG 54 Grunherz
JG 52 the Experten
Luftwaffe Schlachtgruppen
and others like Croatian and Hungarian Aces

"Never wrestle with a pig; you both get dirty but the pig enjoys it!"

AztekWrath
09-14-2004, 12:58 AM
Fighter Tactics and Strategy 1914-1970 (also known as Aces Talk) is the one book I learned the most of. It's an old book but can still be found in amazon.com.

Are there any experienced suicide bombers?

ArjenKuifje
09-14-2004, 07:58 AM
(...) Bekker, Cajus & Frank Ziegler
THE LUFTWAFFE WAR DIARIES
(c. 1964, 1966) 1968: Garden City. Doubleday. First US Edition. . Hardcover. Black cloth, bright gold lettering in red spine panels. Bibliography. Index.119 b/w photos, a few maps in text . Statistical appendixes. WAR. Originally published as ANGRIFFSHOHE 4000, translated and edited by Frank Ziegler. From the German point of view, this book represents a memorial to the fallen, a tribute to the survivors, and a warning to generations to come. Apart from that, it is the first account of the air war of 1939-1945 to come from a German source. Obviously, written for the general public as it is, this book makes no pretension to being a substitute for a comprehensive military history. However, by his evaluation of a mass of German documentary material, his study of the official war histories of other countries, and his interrogation of numerous wartime Luftwaffe leaders, Bekker has succeeded in presenting a story which is accurate in both detail and context(..)

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-14-2004, 08:02 AM
Black Cross/Red Star is easily the definitive work-in-progress on the airwar over the Eastern front in WWII. I have Volume II and it's hardback with 250 pgs and covers only 6 months of the war. Gotta love that.

TB

Our FB server info: http://www.greatergreen.com/il2

MystiqBlackCat
09-14-2004, 01:03 PM
S! and thanks alot guys, I have been looking for Black Cross/Red Star for a couple weeks now, and I have the 109 Aces of the Russian front and Lagg/Lavochkin Aces books by Osprey. I will defintely be on the lookout for the others you guys have recommended.

Thanks again and S!

tttiger
09-14-2004, 01:24 PM
If you're looking for a real history as opposed to a bunch of "There I was at 30,000 feet..." anecdotes (which I also enjoy), the BEST book I've read on the air war on the Eastern Front is "Stopped at Stalingrad: The Luftwaffe and Hitler's Defeat in the East." It was written by a New Zealand historian, Joel S.A. Hayward and published by the University of Kansas Press.

It covers not only Stalingrad but the preceding campaigns in the Crimea and Caucasus (Kuban map in IL-2/FB). The main theme is that, in mid-1942, Hitler, for reasons more of vanity than strategy, halted his vital campaign to seize the oil fields in the Caucasus (Germany started the war without sufficient oil supplies) and became fixated on Stalingrad.

Much of the book centers on Generalfeldmarschall Wolfram von Richthofen (yes, the Red Baron's cousin)who commanded all the close air support LW forces in those campaigns. Arrogant, brilliant, and absolutely fearless, he personally commanded the LW in huge air battles by flying among the combat planes in his Storch.

A good read if you like studying campaigns on an operational level. I learned more from this book than the many others on the Eastern Front air war that I also have read.

Should be available at Amazon or directly from University of Kansas Press.

ttt

"I want the one that kills the best with the least amount of risk to me"

-- Chuck Yeager describing "The Best Airplane."