PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Dogfighting Question (Please Read)

Brackus78
06-10-2004, 08:58 PM
Ok,

Please dont kill me, but I am new to the game, and I am trying to learn how to play. Everything is comming along smoothly, but when I am engaged in a battle, I have a hard time knowing which plane is on which side. Can you all give me some tips on how to distinguish a plane from a friend or foe while in the air?

Also, do most people use the ingame map for waypoints? Every time I use the guidepath, I see messages saying to turn on another vector, and I can never find my squadron after taking off. What are these calls for vector for, and how do you interpret the altitude (I.E. 01, 10).

Any help is appreciated.

--Brack

[This message was edited by Brackus78 on Thu June 10 2004 at 08:22 PM.]

Brackus78
06-10-2004, 08:58 PM
Ok,

Please dont kill me, but I am new to the game, and I am trying to learn how to play. Everything is comming along smoothly, but when I am engaged in a battle, I have a hard time knowing which plane is on which side. Can you all give me some tips on how to distinguish a plane from a friend or foe while in the air?

Also, do most people use the ingame map for waypoints? Every time I use the guidepath, I see messages saying to turn on another vector, and I can never find my squadron after taking off. What are these calls for vector for, and how do you interpret the altitude (I.E. 01, 10).

Any help is appreciated.

--Brack

[This message was edited by Brackus78 on Thu June 10 2004 at 08:22 PM.]

VW-IceFire
06-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Friendly and enemy ID is a very hard thing to do. Start with icons on I think...or if you want to remain very focused on being a "full real" kinda guy then the best thing to do is to look for the markings and get a feel for the planes and how they look from various angles.

Some aircraft are easily confused and were easily confused during the war: Spitfires look sometimes like 109's, Mustangs look like 109's, FW190 on occasion looks like a La-5/7, etc.

Best to try and get an ID if you can. Even using tracer fire colors if they are shooting (Germans usually use blue tracers, Allies use red or yellow).

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

Brackus78
06-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Edit: Nevermind, I found the appropriate switches in the difficulty options. I will try it with icons on for now, but eventually I will definately be playng without them.

Thanks for the input! It really helped to find out that the tracer rounds were different colors. I suspected this before, but didnt know if that was the case or not.

As for the icons. What exactly are icons? Are they symbols of the nation floating above the plane or something? Also, how do you enable these because I cannot seem to find out how. The markings on a plane are hard to see most of the time and it is hard to close in to find out what they are anyways.

Thanks for your help,

--Brack

[This message was edited by Brackus78 on Thu June 10 2004 at 09:04 PM.]

Fehler
06-10-2004, 11:08 PM
Another rule of thumb is this:

If the plane has two radiators, one under each wing, it's a 109. If the radiator is under the fusalage, it is an allied bird. If it has no radiator, it's either a 190 or a P47. The P47 will have more eliptical looking wings.

Once you get used to seeing th eplanes with icons, and associating their silouettes, it gets much easier to tell one from another.

The La series planes, for example, have an odd silouette at distance all to their own. The P51, although vastly larger than a 109 looks smaller at a distance than a 109.

If you are close enough to see color, planes with yellow are almost always German. The silver looking planes are almost always Allied.

You can also get to a point where you can recognize the sound of the engines as well. The Russian planes sound like they are barely turning, kind of like a lawn mower. The P51's, 190's, and 109's sound like they are screaming as they pass you.

Of course, tracer color is a great way to identify planes as well.

Green = Russian
Orange/Red with Yellow = Allied planes.
Yellow with blue or blue with orange = German

I really suggest starting with icons on for two reasons. 1. You will learn the plane shapes faster, and 2. You will learn to judge distance better. On the second aspect, get a feel for how large a plane looks at certain distances. This will help you develop a good distance you will normally shoot at, and will aid you in selecting the proper gun convergence as well. It will also help you learn deflection shooting.

There are some great links to energy fighting, and basic defensive and offensive maneuvers. This is a good read and in .pdf format so you can print it off. http://www.wings-of-valor.net/files/documents/energy.pdf

Anyway, welcome to the addiction.

http://webpages.charter.net/cuda70/FehlerSig.gif
http://webpages.charter.net/cuda70/9JG54.html

Brackus78
06-10-2004, 11:21 PM
Thanks for your info!! I am really getting into this game and having a blast with it!

If you have the time, can you answer my question on mission navigation in the other thread? It is the only major question I have with the game for now.

Thanks!

--Brack