PDA

View Full Version : A padlock question

Col.Flanders
05-16-2004, 09:07 AM
Hi http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

It's been a long while since I posted here!

Okay, I'm sure this topic has been talked to death as have most technical topics/issues in the game so I apologise if this is old-talk. On the server that I play, we have a stalemate in that some people are for padlock and some not. The people in favour of padlock want it not for the aid in aquiring a target (the big triangle) but to provide the movement of the pilot's virtual 'head' as they do not use a tracker or a mouse to look around fluidly.

Is there a way to enable padlock, yet disable the triangle without loosing tags? This server uses enemy icons=off and friendly icons=on when at close range.

Col.Flanders
05-16-2004, 09:07 AM
Hi http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

It's been a long while since I posted here!

Okay, I'm sure this topic has been talked to death as have most technical topics/issues in the game so I apologise if this is old-talk. On the server that I play, we have a stalemate in that some people are for padlock and some not. The people in favour of padlock want it not for the aid in aquiring a target (the big triangle) but to provide the movement of the pilot's virtual 'head' as they do not use a tracker or a mouse to look around fluidly.

Is there a way to enable padlock, yet disable the triangle without loosing tags? This server uses enemy icons=off and friendly icons=on when at close range.

Chuck_Older
05-16-2004, 09:18 AM
I beleive there is...and I forget how http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

But I definitely recall instruction on how to turn off the triangle

two solutions:

1)remove the silly triangle

2) change the range at which padlock is usuable, so it becomes less of a target acquisition radar

The hillsides ring with, "Free the People",
Or can I hear the echoes from the days of '39?
~ Clash

antifreeze
05-16-2004, 10:34 AM
First thing to say is that I don't know how the dedicated server software handles icons; it may have extra parameters. The following info assumes it is the same as the normal 'RCU file' parameters, or that your server is hosted by a player.

If Friendly icons are still on, 'Enemy icons off' just means that the distances for the enemy information are set to .005 in the FB/RCU file, rather than being off completely using the flick-switch in the difficulty settings.
The padlock triangle should not display for enemy planes if no other information is set to appear. If you are seeing a triangle, it means not all the enemy parameters are being set to .005. For no enemy-triangle the RCU entry should look like something like this:

@a friend mp_dotrange FRIENDLY COLOR 1 DOT 12 RANGE 1 TYPE 1 ID 1 NAME 1
@a enemy mp_dotrange FOE COLOR .005 DOT 12 RANGE .005 TYPE .005 ID .005 NAME .005

To instigate these settings when a player is hosting, the host just has to type 'friend' (here all friendly info appears at 1km) and 'enemy' into the console at the beginning of the game. I think successive games remember the settings, as long as FB is not closed (ie. going back to hyperlobby).

Using these settings, you will still padlock onto any enemy at about 3km if you have any line of sight in the cockpit. Your head will be locked in the enemy's direction, but you will have no other visual indication, even when the target is flying beside you. As far as I understand, you can't change the padlock distance from 3km using the RCU file (maybe the dedicated server can, I don't know).
Note that if you wanted to have, for example, enemy plane identity at 2km, you would start seeing a grey/black padlock triangle at 2km too (grey/black because 'color' is turned 'off'). So really, for this to work, all the parameters have to be at .005.

Maybe someone can tell us about the dedicated server parameters?

http://forgotten.battles.pulpo.co.uk/il2logo.gif
9th AWACS is Recruiting: (http://www.9thawacs.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=19)
Accept all players (16+ years old).
Play FB for fun + VEF/VOW.
Non-mandatory FB training.
Dedicated Teamspeak server.
Several other games played.

Aviar
05-16-2004, 10:49 AM
Sure, I'll throw in my 2 cents. Concerning icon settings, the dedicated server cannot do anything that a normal server can do. In other words, there are no 'special' icon settings that can only be seen on a dedicated server.

You are correct about the padlock distance. The one and only value is 3km. This cannot be changed on any type of server.

Aviar

--------------------------
AMD XP 2600+
EPoX EP-8K9AI Mobo
1536Mb DDR PC 2100 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
Klipsch 5.1 THX Certified Speakers
CH FighterStick USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB
Thrustmaster Tacticalboard

Jumoschwanz
05-17-2004, 11:15 AM
One of the coolest servers I ever had fun on was full real with paclock, no icons. This way, even if you locked onto a plane it was still a good idea too visually I.D. it or you could end up shooting down a friendly.

The built in padlock feature is wonderful if you learn how to use it the right way. IN the old days it would lock onto objects out to 5 kilometers, this was recently decreased to 3k. I would like to see it cut to 1 kilometer, that way the padlock whiners would no longer have a leg to stand on and call it pad-look, and those old pre-track IR pilots that got used to it could use it to move their pretty little virtual heads around.

Of course those not used to track IR or padlock will not want to fly against those who know how to use it, because they will be shot down.
Right now I am flying on full real servers using only a hat switch and a "look up" button set on the base of my stick. This is my choice as I am not a track IR enthusiast. (yes i have track ir and tried it with all the latest patches and drivers).
When I am able to fly on a full real with padlock server it is great becuase I can relive the old pre-track IR days and have a blast.

I would prefer this server to ones like War clouds TOH/44 that has both icons enabled and makes it easy to spot and ID planes, and harder to hide and surprise.

The old school full real pilots, the ones that have been here since day one, want a full real server with no icons. mOst of these old timers don't mind padlock because they "grew up" with it. Sadly it is hard to find a cockpit on/no icons server on HL anymore,with or without padlock. Mostly wonder woman/icon arcadish servers these days.

There are some neat tricks for PL. I used to be able to adjust the attitude of the plane, block out this and that plane/dot with parts of the cockpit/windscreen bars, and select which dot I wanted to lock onto! THe padlock would disconnect from target after it was out of view or behind a cloud for more than two seconds, so you had to be good with the hatswitch to acquire/re-acquire anyway. But it was nice to be able to padlock and have it do some of the workload while you concentrated on flying the darn plane.

Jumoschwanz

Col.Flanders
05-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Personally, I despise padlock. I don't have trackIR or any other fancy tricks 'cept for the good ol' mouse. My one hand never moves from the mouse and the other never leaves the joystick. Since FB came out, the mousewheel issue was resolved and became mappable. All of my views are mapped to the mouse while my throttle is mapped to mousewheel. I honestly believe that the game isn't being played properly ( or at least to its fullest) if a proper 'looking' method is not learned from the outset. The game has always just felt right to me in the way that the pilot's head moves.

BfHeFwMe
05-17-2004, 03:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aviar:
Sure, I'll throw in my 2 cents. Concerning icon settings, the dedicated server cannot do anything that a normal server can do. In other words, there are no 'special' icon settings that can only be seen on a dedicated server.

You are correct about the padlock distance. The one and only value is 3km. This cannot be changed on any type of server.

Aviar

AMD XP 2600+
EPoX EP-8K9AI Mobo
1536Mb DDR PC 2100 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
CH FighterStick USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB
--------------------------<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true, any time a teammate is within 3Km's and in range of padlocking an enemy his teammates can lock on regardless of distance using external padlock to enemy. Quite a well kept secret and nifty little exploit. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Aviar
05-17-2004, 04:10 PM
LOL...I don't play on servers with externals enabled. I believe the topic in this thread is about INTERNAL padlock.

Aviar

AMD XP 2600+
EPoX EP-8K9AI Mobo
1536Mb DDR PC 2100 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
CH FighterStick USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB