PDA

View Full Version : 007's Creed

Markaccus
04-23-2015, 01:33 PM
So, i am assuming that finally we will get an English Assassin in Victory. Now, i don't care how cheesy some will find this, i am hoping for a James Bond-esque character. (Yes i know only one Englishman has ever played Bond so far in the official films). To take this further, have modern day assassins working as part of MI6, With the modern day templars funding certain terrorist groups and using them to further their cause.

cawatrooper9
04-23-2015, 01:43 PM
If you want a dashing and droll Bond-esque character, I suggest looking no further than Arno.
I'd like for our Victory Assassin to break the mold a little bit, but that's certainly just personal preference.

VestigialLlama4
04-23-2015, 01:50 PM
So, i am assuming that finally we will get an English Assassin in Victory. Now, i don't care how cheesy some will find this, i am hoping for a James Bond-esque character. (Yes i know only one Englishman has ever played Bond so far in the official films). To take this further, have modern day assassins working as part of MI6, With the modern day templars funding certain terrorist groups and using them to further their cause.

Haytham is James Bond-esque, intentionally modelled as one, the Opera sequence is kind of like a Bond moment from which it follows that Bond is Templaresque. James Bond and M16 are too Templarish, defending King/Queen and Country (at a time of rampant British Imperialism), nominally Christian and Defender of the Realm doesn't seem to gel with the Assassins, a secret society with Islamic origins dedicated to freedom from oppression.

Bond was pretty much a Reactionary Fantasy at the time of the 60s, he appealed to the sexual revolution but in actually he was a racist, sexist cold warrior, as the early movies of the 60s showed. The recent films are obviously a different thing. And also James Bond is aristocratic, studied at Eton and speaks properly, he's out of touch with the times (and actually he still is, its just that there hasn't been another English hero to replace him though Harry Potter has come close). The Victorian Era is not the age of aristocrats, this is the age of the the working classes. This is where Cockney (not yet appropriated by chavs) started becoming the second most common accent associated with Englishness and Charles D-ckens wrote books about what it was being poor and made money and status via popularity.

Ideally I want a working-class Assassin, more like Edward Kenway then anyone else. But it seems they are going for some inventor dude (which would mean Middle Class but then many British inventors started poor). Or you know about another rarity, a Jewish Assassin. After all the most famous Jew of the 19th Century, Karl Marx, made London his stomping ground at the time.

Markaccus
04-23-2015, 02:13 PM
There is no reason why queen and country patriotism cant be used as a good thing for once, though. I don'tsee why MI6 have to be templarish. After all, assassins work in the shadows to protect the light or whatever, that sounds spyish to me :D Ezio was an aristocrat, and his family were assassins. Connor and Eddy could easily be classed as working class, so we have had both really. I just don't see why our empire days have to be reflected so negatively (in most media). We were not the first by a long stretch, and the world has benefitted massively from the various empires that have existed.

I would have no problem with a Jewish Assassin, as the religion of the character is the least important aspect to me. However, Jews outside of Israel tend to be extremely pacifist (from what i can tell) so i am not sure if it would work.

VestigialLlama4
04-23-2015, 03:13 PM
There is no reason why queen and country patriotism cant be used as a good thing for once, though.

For "once". The way I see it, Anglo-American culture is entirely too sentimental about royalty and the Queen and there are rarely any critical looks at it. I mean the Sex Pistols ran into problems when they sang, "God save the queen, the Fascist Regime, they made you a moron" The King's Speech likewise sentimentalizes royalty and then you have Downton Abbey (a spinoff of the far more critical GOSFORD PARK which sides with the servants). Or in Skyfall where you have this persistent, annoying and clueless Englishness.

I don'tsee why MI6 have to be templarish.

Well, its run by mostly white anglo-saxon types who speak in recieved pronunciation.

Markaccus
04-23-2015, 03:31 PM
For "once". The way I see it, Anglo-American culture is entirely too sentimental about royalty and the Queen and there are rarely any critical looks at it. I mean the Sex Pistols ran into problems when they sang, "God save the queen, the Fascist Regime, they made you a moron" The King's Speech likewise sentimentalizes royalty and then you have Downton Abbey (a spinoff of the far more critical GOSFORD PARK which sides with the servants). Or in Skyfall where you have this persistent, annoying and clueless Englishness.

Well, its run by mostly white anglo-saxon types who speak in recieved pronunciation.

There is very little sentimentality about the royals here in Britain. The Queen is little more than a tourist attraction these days. I don't dislike them, but I am certainly no royalist. There is no doubt that the upper classes contain many snobby, greedy, power hungry individuals. Same in every country really. But there can also be no doubt that spy networks, secret agents and black-opps opperate very much like assassins.

The sex pistols... well, the Facist regime they refered to was the way the government ran things. The queen had very little control on these things by then, even in the late 70's, so really the sex pistols were just expressing their anarchy using the figurehead as a target, even though everyone knew it was the system of government they were really attacking. The queen pays taxes now so it worked in a way :D

MI6 is run mostly by White Anglo-saxons because our population is still largely white Anglo-saxon, despite our imigration problem :D

Shahkulu101
04-23-2015, 03:44 PM
We've just had another suave, charismatic upper-class dude. I think we need a but of a break from them but I do like Bond-esque characters and there's no shame in that.

I really hope the protagonist is somehow a Scotsman, that would make my day.

VestigialLlama4
04-23-2015, 03:48 PM
We've just had another suave, charismatic upper-class dude. I think we need a but of a break from them but I do like Bond-esque characters and there's no shame in that.

I really hope the protagonist is somehow a Scotsman, that would make my day.

Well the first James Bond, Sean Connery, was scottish you know.

Shahkulu101
04-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Well the first James Bond, Sean Connery, was scottish you know.

Yeah, but did he speak in a Scottish accent? I'm sure that even though the actors have been Scottish, Bond himself has always been English. Might be wrong though.

Markaccus
04-23-2015, 03:55 PM
Yeah, but did he speak in a Scottish accent? I'm sure that even though the actors have been Scottish, Bond himself has always been English. Might be wrong though.

You could deffo hear the Scotish accent when he spoke. Bond has been played in the official films by a Scot, a Welshman, an Irishman, two Aussies and eventually, in Daniel Craig, the quintessential English Spy (as he was in the books) is being played for the first time by an actual Englishman.

Xstantin
04-23-2015, 04:09 PM
So Haytham 2.0 instead of Ezio 3.5 :rolleyes:

Megas_Doux
04-23-2015, 04:43 PM
Other than their similar background, Arno is different from Ezio. And about Ezio, he is this super stereotyped italian character......

GunnerGalactico
04-23-2015, 08:10 PM
No offense to the people that like James Bond, I like him too. The last thing that Ubi would want to be doing right now is to mould the new protagonist into a stereotypical British character that is: posh, witty and sarcastic or with a stiff upper lip. I personally hope that the new character would be a serious, "no-nonsense" and "straight-to-the-point" type like Altair/Connor. After Arno, I'm sure that they might be going for something different. As Shahk said, I'm not entirely sure how this new character is going to turn out.

m4r-k7
04-23-2015, 08:28 PM
They need a morally dark assassin. I mean we have these characters who seem pretty nice (like Ezio, Connor, Arno) yet we go around killing guards the whole game. It just makes no sense, even if these guards are supposedly all "corrupt" or "evil". Obviousily I don't want the assassin to kill innocents, but it would make more sense for an assassin (who kills tons of people) to be not that nice of a guy.

Xstantin
04-23-2015, 11:09 PM
^I kinda hope for that. Altair wasn't likable/cute/charming but it worked.