PDA

View Full Version : How many Ottomen do you kill in AC: Revelations?

The4orTy67
04-22-2015, 10:02 PM
Thinking of picking this game up, but I'm so concerned of killing my brothers. Do you have to kill them? Are they the bad guys? Thanks.

VoXngola
04-22-2015, 10:04 PM
They are neutral. You kill a lot of Byzantines.

Altair1789
04-22-2015, 10:31 PM
You can kill them if you want, but you don't have to. They're neutral guards. For the most part of the story they're sorta like allies. You even meet Suleiman the Great when he was younger

wvstolzing
04-22-2015, 10:47 PM
'Ottoman' is the name of a dynasty; by the end of the game at least two members of that family are dead, both by the hand of Selim I ('Yavuz' - 'the Grim' -- his father Bayezid I 'indirectly' by waging war against him; his brother Ahmet by strangulation.)

The everyday people of Istanbul that you meet didn't consider themselves 'Ottomans', just as no Austrian has ever considered himself/herself a 'Habsburg'; back then if you asked, they'd probably describe their identity by religion, or by language.

Ezio does kill quite a number of Janissaries, who were in 'legal status' *slaves* of the ruler; so that's as 'Ottoman' as Ezio's killing goes in ACR.

A couple of years back I saw t-shirts on sale in Istanbul, with the tagline "proud to be an Ottoman" ... to adequately describe why that's an abomination, one needs a whole lecture course on the horrors of right-wing conservative politics throughout the 20th Century in Turkey.

In short 'the Otto-men' were a bunch of thugs, they weren't the *real people* on the streets -- and no, you don't kill too many of them.

(Unless you're a descendant of the Imperial Family in exile, that's a different story.)

Markaccus
04-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Thinking of picking this game up, but I'm so concerned of killing my brothers. Do you have to kill them? Are they the bad guys? Thanks.

Spare a thought for the British. I have had AC 1 where i had to do in one or two of my own. Then there was AC3, where i had to slice Brits into dog food on a regular basis. I sunk ships full of Brits in AC4 and in Rogue. Getting sick of it now. I wonder if Ubi have an anti-british thing going on ;). I am sure with this in mind you can handle ONE game of killing your own? :D

VestigialLlama4
04-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Spare a thought for the British. I have had AC 1 where i had to do in one or two of my own. Then there was AC3, where i had to slice Brits into dog food on a regular basis. I sunk ships full of Brits in AC4 and in Rogue. Getting sick of it now. I wonder if Ubi have an anti-british thing going on ;). I am sure with this in mind you can handle ONE game of killing your own? :D

Nah...they are actually Anglophile, as Shaun Hastings jokes keep telling you. UNITY proved that, its a very anti-French game, with a view entirely inspired by British propaganda. Even AC3, a lot of Haytham's character is that "I am very British" (Translation: "I am very right.")

Markaccus
04-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Nah...they are actually Anglophile, as Shaun Hastings jokes keep telling you. UNITY proved that, its a very anti-French game, with a view entirely inspired by British propaganda. Even AC3, a lot of Haytham's character is that "I am very British" (Translation: "I am very right.")

Yeah my "anti-brit" comment was tongue in cheek :p I was just raising issue that its time for a game where i dont slaughter fellow inhabitants of our once-great Island :D

cawatrooper9
04-23-2015, 01:51 PM
As others have said, the true enemies in the game are the Byzantines.
While nationalism and patriotism are usually admirable qualities, I don't think that you should let them detract you from this game in this case. I'm sure you'll be relatively pleased with how the Ottomans are portrayed in this game.

VestigialLlama4
04-23-2015, 01:55 PM
As others have said, the true enemies in the game are the Byzantines.

The Byzantines are led by an Ottoman Prince and a Kurdish Rebel (Shahkulu), so its not entirely cut-and-dried.

cawatrooper9
04-23-2015, 04:26 PM
The Byzantines are led by an Ottoman Prince and a Kurdish Rebel (Shahkulu), so its not entirely cut-and-dried.

Of course, but the meat and potatoes of your enemies (eh, maybe that's kind of a gross analogy) are the Byzantine "guards".

The4orTy67
04-23-2015, 05:06 PM
Thank you all. I can now kill with a clear conscience.

LoyalACFan
04-23-2015, 09:24 PM
Why is nationality the dividing line for who you will or won't kill? Not just OP, but a lot of people on here. Seems creepily ethnocentric to me.

The4orTy67
04-23-2015, 09:29 PM
Well what can I do after playing CODs and killing countless middle eastern people I was looking for a game where I'm not killing them.

LoyalACFan
04-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Well what can I do after playing CODs and killing countless middle eastern people I was looking for a game where I'm not killing them.

Fair enough. I'm just recalling the American people who complained about having to kill Americans in AC3 (and to a lesser extent the French in Unity), I mean who the hell really cares? I can see why it would be frustrating as someone from the Middle East though, since practically every war game is saturated with violence in that region.

HiddenKiller612
04-24-2015, 03:50 AM
In a game, I'll kill anyone who is a threat... It matters not if they share the same nationality, race, etc as me. If they are actively seeking to kill your character, then you'd have to be quite the fool to feel remorse for defending "yourself" especially when you aren't really killing anyone.

pirate1802
04-24-2015, 07:26 AM
For me personally, being able to kill Indians would be a bonus, not a deterrent.