PDA

View Full Version : whats the best fighter for a noob?



jttthomas
02-25-2004, 12:32 AM
Hi guys

I'm a noob at fighters - haven't shot down (or atleast hit) anyone online yet - and thats after around 10 tries! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I usually fly axis, esp the BF109k but it seems every other aircraft can either outclimb, outdive or out turn mine - esp those russian biplanes which can catch me in a dive or climb, even when I have energy!!

jttthomas
02-25-2004, 12:32 AM
Hi guys

I'm a noob at fighters - haven't shot down (or atleast hit) anyone online yet - and thats after around 10 tries! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I usually fly axis, esp the BF109k but it seems every other aircraft can either outclimb, outdive or out turn mine - esp those russian biplanes which can catch me in a dive or climb, even when I have energy!!

Maj_Death
02-25-2004, 12:38 AM
La-7, aka "the noob-7." It outclimbs, outturns and outruns nearly all other planes in FB. It can quickly become a crutch though so I suggest you exchange it for something else as soon as you can. The Mig-3U, Yak-3 and Bf-109K4 are good next steps. I suggest staying away from the Fw-190, P-40 and especially the P-47 until you get a good grasp on how to conserve energy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The F7F Tigercat in Aces Over the Pacific is overmodeled.

cd.jakevas
02-25-2004, 12:56 AM
I dont think there is a specific plane for a noob or a noob plane. Here is what i suggest. Practice with all of the fighters. Get to know each fighters storng and weak points. Get the plane you like to fly the most or feel most comfortable with. Then just practice and practice. Once you have the basics down, and can beat the ace ai easily. Then jump online, and learn from your mistakes. This game has a rather steep learning curve at average. I dont think anyone has ever picked this game up and become great within a week or so.(i could be wrong http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ), i know i didnt.

Just my 2 cents...Hope it helps some.

http://members.cox.net/jakevas/sig7.jpg

pourshot
02-25-2004, 01:11 AM
Try the Zero in a early war server,if you can get into the furball it can outturn them all dos'nt stall and has great guns,just dont get hit hehe.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~andycarroll68/mybaby.jpeg.JPG
Ride It Like Ya Stole It

02-25-2004, 01:42 AM
Read Shaw (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0870210599?v=glance) . Practice regular flying until you can do it in your sleep, then move to air combat. Start with similar aircraft in 1v1 engagements, then move to 2v1 and 2v2 still with similar aircraft. Begin to learn wingman styles such as double attack and loose deuce.

Next, try DISSIMILAR aircraft in 1v1 engagements. Learn to fly and fight at a disadvantage. This is critical!! Learn when to use energy tactics and when to use angles. Learn dirty tricks, too.

Finally, grab your wingie again and try 2v2 and up with dissimilar aircraft. By this point you should have the basic concepts of angles and energy down. Here is where you master wingman tactics and really start to get a feel for the rythm of combat. To be successful you must remain one or more steps ahead of your opponent, mentally. Your ops tempo should be faster than your opponents. Now, that doesn't mean that you turn harder or make rash decisions. All it means is (1) that you plan your moves farther ahead than he's thinking, and (2) you analyze, decide, and act quicker than the enemy. Your decisions are become fresher and more forward thinking, forcing the enemy to react to you. John Boyd calls it "Observation, Orientation, Decision, Action". Erich Hartman called it "See, Decide, Attack, (and then a coffee break)".

But in a nutshell, the best way to make the enemy react to you, instead of you reacting to the enemy, is to BE AGGRESSIVE. If you're ever in a desperate situation, just go nuts.

02-25-2004, 04:36 AM
It`s simple.

La-7 3x20mm for late servers, Bf 109 F-4 for early servers. Those are them most noobie planes in the whole set. Easy to handle, spin-safe, good in turns, and along the top 3 best climber, fastest planes in the timeframe, so you won`t be left behind even if a pro tries some E-fight.

But I stay 109K. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MandMs
02-25-2004, 04:41 AM
A P-47 or Fw190A. If you master these, you will be an ace in any other a/c.( well if you can shoot straighthttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

Taking an "easy" a/c teaches you bad 'tactics' which are hard to get rid of later.



I eat the red ones last.

F19_Ob
02-25-2004, 05:34 AM
In my opinion the later 109's are to difficult to use online in the beginning and it is the bad visibility and the great deflection needed wich makes it hard on newbies.

Since most allied planes turns better u always will face hard turning planes at 90 degree deflectionangles. This means u have to fire far ahead of the target. My suggestion is to try to fire atleast 2 or 3 aircraft lenghts ahead to begin with = this often means that the enemy dissappears under Ur nose = u actually dont see what U shoot at. This ofcourse makes it very difficult for new flyers since u have to get used to this shooting style and that takes some time.


So...in the beginning it is better to use an stable allied plane with fastfiring machineguns like huricane ,p40,and yak3 since less deflection is required.

Personally I think the yak3 is the best but u have to get used with its high speed and extremly fastfiring guns. With these guns u only have to use 1 sec bursts to rip a fw190 apart even at distance. only use short bursts bcause its easy to waste the whole clip otherwise.

The p39 is also good but it has dangerous stall and spinncharacteristics at slow speeds, but the mg's are very effective. U should choose the p40 before p39 bcause of its better stability and good turn and ammo.


This is only suggestions.

Rajvosa
02-25-2004, 05:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MandMs:
A P-47 or Fw190A. If you master these, you will be an ace in any other a/c.( well if you can shoot straighthttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

Taking an "easy" a/c teaches you bad 'tactics' which are hard to get rid of later.



I eat the red ones last.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


Agree 100%!

After finishing Simon's BoB campaign in a Hurricane, I went off to play Crimean campaign as a LW pilot, starting with a Bf 109F-2. What happens? It takes me 20 missions just to get used to the 109 again! The plane felt totally unstable at first, it was hard to aim, etc etc.

No more "crappy" planes for me!


Regards,

Jasko

http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/pictures/aces_pda.jpg

Extreme_One
02-25-2004, 05:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rajvosa:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MandMs:
A P-47 or Fw190A. If you master these, you will be an ace in any other a/c.( well if you can shoot straighthttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

Taking an "easy" a/c teaches you bad 'tactics' which are hard to get rid of later.



I eat the red ones last.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


Agree 100%!

After finishing Simon's BoB campaign in a Hurricane, I went off to play Crimean campaign as a LW pilot, starting with a Bf 109F-2. What happens? It takes me 20 missions just to get used to the 109 again! The plane felt totally unstable at first, it was hard to aim, etc etc.

No more "crappy" planes for me!


Regards,

Jasko

http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/pictures/aces_pda.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

S! Simon
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''
Download the RAF campaign folder here (http://www.netwings.org/library/Forgotten_Battles/Missions/index-9.html).

Download the USAAF campaign folder here (http://www.netwings.org/library/Forgotten_Battles/Missions/index-9.html). *NEW* Updated for FB 1.21

http://extremeone.4t.com/images/raf_sig.jpg

SeaFireLIV
02-25-2004, 05:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jttthomas:
Hi guys

I'm a noob at fighters - haven't shot down (or atleast hit) anyone online yet - and thats after around 10 tries! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you`re new to flying then I advise practise offline for a few weeks. It doesn`t matter WHAT plane you fly, with low experience you`ll be shot down. Even if you`re in an LA7 and your opponents in a P11!

The B239 Brewster (Axis) or zero are good planes to start with. But like I said you`ll need practise first.

SeaFireLIV...

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/little_armsFB.jpg
The Fights continue out of the Servers...

Magister__Ludi
02-25-2004, 06:03 AM
Definitely La-7 (3 cannons), but make sure you'll abandon it after you are successful.
La-7 is overmodelled in both turn and climb, if you stay too much with it you'll develop bad fighting habits.

Mercyful_BR2000
02-25-2004, 06:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Magister__Ludi:
Definitely La-7 (3 cannons), but make sure you'll abandon it after you are successful.
La-7 is overmodelled in both turn and climb, if you stay too much with it you'll develop bad fighting habits.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

S!

I Cant agree more, the LA7 NOOB PLANE, thats the perfect choice for any 10yr Kid to shoot any other plane online, this one may not require joystick to fly... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif , but dont stick with this plane too long, you may believe its true. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Have fun.

Major LBR=Rommel
http://www.luftwaffebrasil.com

IAFS_Painter
02-25-2004, 07:03 AM
If you want to survive - pick an La7 - easy to fly.

If you want to learn - then pick a hard plane.
Learn to fly full real - even if you want to fly 'no cockpit'. You'll be better equipped for the simpler environment when you get there.


Find and join a good squad - one that has an active training program.
Make sure the program is active, not full of good intentions.

An active program runs at the same time every week, and has not been missed recently.
If you hear excuses, accept them politely, and move on.


Oh - and learn listen to your own advice.

http://www.robert-stuart.me.uk/il2/signature/paint_sig_003.jpg
il2airracing.com (http://www.il2airracing.com) Painter's Pages (http://www.robert-stuart.me.uk/il2)

I've given up correcting my own spelling
Unless I've corrected it here

AlGroover
02-25-2004, 07:06 AM
I've just come back to the P40 after a long time away. In the out of the box game, it was unexceptional to say the least, but in the latest patched version it's really surprisingly good. Turns well, quite good firepower and no cowl mounted guns to blind you with muzzle flash. It will stall if pushed too hard but not as badly as the FW190. That will teach you not to haul on the stick too hard. The version I've been flying is the field modified one with the Klimov engine. Try it.

Curly_109
02-25-2004, 08:12 AM
Take I-153, (few of them are flying for finns )Im finding this to be the most enjoyable A/C in the game. It's really air - show A/C http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif . I'm able to shoot down anything on ace level (quick mission offline). No matter how fast they are, how fast they climb they CANNOT outturn ya... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Ideal for new pilots in theis sim...

BpGemini
02-25-2004, 08:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jttthomas:
Hi guys

I'm a noob at fighters - haven't shot down (or atleast hit) anyone online yet - and thats after around 10 tries! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I usually fly axis, esp the BF109k but it seems every other aircraft can either outclimb, outdive or out turn mine - esp those russian biplanes which can catch me in a dive or climb, even when I have energy!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


The BF-109 K-4 is a n00bs plane. Just pick a plane you like and keep practicing.

http://www.blitzpigs.com/images/P-39_BlitzPig_Sig_01.jpg
IL-2 original P-39 vet soon to be P-63 vet.

Cardinal25
02-25-2004, 08:45 AM
LA-n00b-7 or the Yak-3 are the easiest planes to get kills in.

For the Axis:

109-f4 and 109-G2 are the most turn friendly for the newer pilot.

-----------------------------
Asshat = Don't do it. (http://www.acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php)

BaldieJr
02-25-2004, 08:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cosmokart:
Read http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0870210599?v=glance . Practice regular flying until you can do it in your sleep, then move to air combat. Start with similar aircraft in 1v1 engagements, then move to 2v1 and 2v2 still with similar aircraft. Begin to learn wingman styles such as double attack and loose deuce.

Next, try DISSIMILAR aircraft in 1v1 engagements. _Learn to fly and fight at a disadvantage. This is critical!!_ Learn when to use energy tactics and when to use angles. Learn dirty tricks, too.

Finally, grab your wingie again and try 2v2 and up with dissimilar aircraft. By this point you should have the basic concepts of angles and energy down. Here is where you master wingman tactics and really start to get a feel for the rythm of combat. To be successful you must remain one or more steps ahead of your opponent, mentally. Your ops tempo should be faster than your opponents. Now, that doesn't mean that you turn harder or make rash decisions. All it means is (1) that you plan your moves farther ahead than he's thinking, and (2) you analyze, decide, and act quicker than the enemy. Your decisions are become fresher and more forward thinking, forcing the enemy to react to you. John Boyd calls it "Observation, Orientation, Decision, Action". Erich Hartman called it "See, Decide, Attack, (and then a coffee break)".

But in a nutshell, the best way to make the enemy react to you, instead of you reacting to the enemy, is to BE AGGRESSIVE. If you're ever in a desperate situation, just go nuts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bingo! No wiser advice has been given.

Try flying on FighterJerks (on hyperlobby). It runs same-plane matchups, with planes being swapped every week. Its an excellent place to learn, since all variables are equal EXCEPT pilot skill.

This week its running B239s.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
______ _____
(, / ) /) /) , (, /
/---( _ // _(/ _ / __ ,""""]
+----/ ____)(_(_(/_(_(__(__(/____/__/ (__--------,' /---+
| / ( / ,' NR / |
|(_/ ..-""``"'-._ (_/ __,' 42 _/ |
+-.-"" "-..,____________/7,.--"" __]-----+

</pre>

Red_Storm
02-25-2004, 08:51 AM
Start with either a Yak-3 or an La-7, move onto Bf-109F4's, P-51D20NA's, FW-190A-4/A-5/A-8/A-9, then in the end you could try your hand at the P-47D-27 or the FW-190D-9.

TheGozr
02-25-2004, 09:07 AM
They are all noob planes. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

-GOZR
http://www.french.themotorhead.com/themotorhead_fighters/images/pix/il2fbtmhlogosmall.jpg &lt;--Uncensored version IL2fb here (http://www.french.themotorhead.com/themotorhead_fighters/)