PDA

View Full Version : For Newbies Playing the IL-2 FB Campaigns

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Despite all the negative talk I trust you guys are enjoying this game and especially the campaigns.

It would be nice to create a thread where we can "safely" come aside from all the flaming going on in here and report on our campaign progress and the game in general.

Here's my contribution to get things started:

I bought this game a month or so ago. This is my first flight combat game, so I am still learning tonnes of stuff, with a lot more yet to figure out. After practicing for a while, I am now playing the Russian campaigns.

I completed the Russian Fighter over Leningrad missions. You start off flying the I-16, which despite it's awkwardness, is a great little fighter. In fact, I believe I shot down more enemies with it then I did with the faster planes introduced later on.

I am now playing the IL-2 over Leningrad missions (have campaign length set to very short). Great change of pace! So far, I seem to be a better ground assault pilot then in the previous campaign. The IL-2 is one tough tank with wings /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif But I find landing these monsters requires a much more gentle touch then the flyers.

Said enough. Would like to hear from other newcomers where they are with their campaigns. I hope I'm not the only one new to the campaigns.

P.S. Meant to mention that while my young son (he's 9) was playing the other night (he plays on Easy - sometimes Normal), that he crashed landed his plane into the water. Below the water's surface you could see the sunken ship ahead of his plane falling below the surface. Nice detail!

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Despite all the negative talk I trust you guys are enjoying this game and especially the campaigns.

It would be nice to create a thread where we can "safely" come aside from all the flaming going on in here and report on our campaign progress and the game in general.

Here's my contribution to get things started:

I bought this game a month or so ago. This is my first flight combat game, so I am still learning tonnes of stuff, with a lot more yet to figure out. After practicing for a while, I am now playing the Russian campaigns.

I completed the Russian Fighter over Leningrad missions. You start off flying the I-16, which despite it's awkwardness, is a great little fighter. In fact, I believe I shot down more enemies with it then I did with the faster planes introduced later on.

I am now playing the IL-2 over Leningrad missions (have campaign length set to very short). Great change of pace! So far, I seem to be a better ground assault pilot then in the previous campaign. The IL-2 is one tough tank with wings /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif But I find landing these monsters requires a much more gentle touch then the flyers.

Said enough. Would like to hear from other newcomers where they are with their campaigns. I hope I'm not the only one new to the campaigns.

P.S. Meant to mention that while my young son (he's 9) was playing the other night (he plays on Easy - sometimes Normal), that he crashed landed his plane into the water. Below the water's surface you could see the sunken ship ahead of his plane falling below the surface. Nice detail!

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 06:09 PM
play some of the campaigns from mudmovers /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 06:14 PM
I've had the game for 4 days now. Let me tell you, the sheer magnitude of my suckiness is baffling. It took me two days to be able to shoot down my first plane (I also used the I-16) without using time flow controlls! And this is on easy setting (granted, I turned on realistic balistics aswell as landing and take off, still unlimited ammo though). Last night I tried to switch to medium. I died shortly after entering my first battle, due to a stall =) I guess I sort of attempted the cobra maneuver with an I-16 at around 190 km/h and 300m alt.

One thing that bothers me about the campaigns is the lack of understanding of what needs to be done. I wouldn't mind an english voice pack. I have to resort to using the auto pilot a lot which I feel takes away from the game. And they constantly yell at me for going off course, I am assuming I need to stay with my leader even in a dog fight?

Anyways, the game seams a lot of fun. I wouldn't mind a static campaign on top of the dynamic one. Maybe omething very easy with a lot of diversty. Something that caters to the novice player like myself. You know, a hook of sorts to keep you happy while going through the frustration of trying to figure out how to keep yourself in the air.

As for a funny story, here is one. I finished my first mission on medium settings. I even landed the damn plane. I died while trying to taxi it to the hangars (I hit a fuel tank). Talk about frustrating =)

LLMerc

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 06:37 PM
Great to hear from you LLMerc! A "human" player like me. It's lonely with all these Aces flying around in here /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I like your funny story. It reminded me of one time having flown back and also successfully landing that I overshot the airstrip and despite seeing it coming, and doing everything I could do, still smashing into an AAA gun and blowing up. The frustrating thing was I could see it coming - it was in painful slow-motion before me /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

I trust you have watched the learning videos and practiced within the Quick Missions, right?

I remember being really overwhelmed and frustrated with this game shortly after playing it. Hang in there, as you start improving it becomes very addictive!

I would encourage you to consider Normal+ settings if you are up to the challenge. The satisfying thing with sims is just that, playing them as realistically as possible. Someone suggested to me that you will learn much faster trying to play at the level you hope to eventually be good at then trying to progress through easier levels.

With regards to Auto-Pilot, I use it also once I am airborne. I don't see any great challenge or fun in flying for 1/2-hour (game time) to the combat zone. Perhaps other would disagree. Plus it lets you enjoy the scenery /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

A couple of things, I have set the campaign to short distances to reduce the flight times, and I also speed up time. I pilot in normal time once I apprach the combat zone, dogfight, leave the zone, Auto-Pilot, then manually land. Sometimes I manually fly the total mission if it is not far.

Don't get too alarmed with your squad leader yelling at you. Just stay close with them (always stay toegther for mutual support and protection). And yes, the leader will take you to the designated spot.

With regards to shooting, I think you should first practice with limited ammo, as I found myself wasteful when I first practiced with unlimited ammo. Now that I am a bit more picky with my shots, I will occassional go into a Quick Mission with a lot of enemy planes to shot at with unlimited ammo.

Also, you probably know this but don't shoot until you are very close (0.5 - 0.3 or better), and it is usually wasteful to shoot at the enemy's 6 (fuselage - main body of the plane). Wings, engines or cockpits are better targets. First test your shot with a very quick press of the trigger, then a longer burst of lead for the actual shot.

Great game, I hope to hear about your progress friend!

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 06:50 PM
I've had FB for a month, but had IL2 for a year before

I still required a bit of time to re-learn everything, but feel that is plays more tactically now. I have campaigns going in an La5 over Leningrad, an IL over Leningrad, 109F4 at Stalingrad and a 190A4 at Rzhev, my most succesful campaign yet.

In the 190 missions, i typically get given a free hunt mission, go up to about 4000m ith my flight, ponce about looking for trouble and when it comes, we swoop in and swoop out, hopefully with a couple of kills.

I have had some great fun in the IL. One mission saw me attacking an airfield, then being attacked by about 20 109s and 190s. Got severely damaged but kept turning into them on each attack until they got bored and i crossed my lines. Hand to land with no flaps and a big hole in my right wing, gunner dead. Missions like this are what i bought the game for /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Sm

XyZspineZyX
10-03-2003, 01:25 AM
LLMerc wrote:

- Iwouldn't mind an english voice pack.

There is a solution thanks to JRJacobs. go to this link and follow the instructions exactly. That way if you are not satisfied you can return to the default voice settings.

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=yyixr

Hope this helps. I did it and now I understand what they're saying.

<center>Beebop-ProudBirds-VFW<center>http://www.uploadit.org/files/230903-Beebop%20Sig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-03-2003, 05:11 AM
Now I'm glad I had a Russian friend when I was young - I can understand a good deal of the radio chatter. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

The german chatter OTOH is completely lost on me. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-03-2003, 05:20 AM
Great thread idea.

I recently started my first IL-2 campaign. If anyone has any tips for ground attack & surviving this war please let me know.

XyZspineZyX
10-03-2003, 06:23 AM
I too am new to the dynamic campaign although I have played both IL2 and FB on and off since they came out.

LLMerc said;

I am assuming I need to stay with my leader even in a dog fight?

Please excuse me if I don't use the correct formation terminology, but I agree with TacticalSkirmish in that whatever position you are flying in, you should attempt to remain close to your flight mates for mutual protection and this is why the flight leader gives you your vector from his position (i think this is the case and not his position from you).

If you are an odd numbered aircraft and not the flight leader, you are a wingleader and given the vector, while even numbered aircraft are wingmen and are given the vector plus a stern reprimand. As a wingleader your primary role (shouldn't override your wingmans safety) is to make attacks co-ordinated with the other wingleaders. As a wingman, your primary role is to support your wingleader to make these attacks by protecting him from enemy attacks. Wether you abide by this is up to you but when I get bored as a wingman and go off and do my own thing, it seems that either my wingleader gets shot down or seriously harrassed.

Also, watch out for your targets wingmen as they like to support each other.