PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed Unity: Collectables - Gone too Far?

Dead1y-Derri
04-19-2015, 06:01 PM
So did anyone think that within Assassins Creed Unity, they went a little too far with the amount of collectables. Literally the entire map was covered with collectables.

Xstantin
04-19-2015, 06:55 PM
I think it needed like ten or twenty more cockades to collect. 128 is barely enough

Dead1y-Derri
04-19-2015, 07:32 PM
I think it needed like ten or twenty more cockades to collect. 128 is barely enough

I really do hope that this was sarcasm :P

STDlyMcStudpants
04-19-2015, 07:40 PM
I think that it only felt like so much because this was the first time where AC felt like 1 giant open world instead of split off...
Technically they were split, but it didnt feel like it

Dead1y-Derri
04-19-2015, 07:44 PM
I think that it only felt like so much because this was the first time where AC felt like 1 giant open world instead of split off...
Technically they were split, but it didnt feel like it

I think over 400 collectables in such a small space though, I mean Paris was big but because all the collectables were close together and as you said it didn't feel sectionalised enough, it just felt like too much.

The question that must be asked is...."Why were they in the game?"

It didn't provide much in the way of content. I remember watching a vlog by the guy who does the trophy hunting videos called "PS4Trophies" and he states that really games should only have collectables if it ties in with the story or has significant meaning.

Previous games where you collected Feathers as Ezio it was throw back to his little brother being killed.

The point I'm making is there is no reason for that many collectables so we honestly shouldn't have them.

STDlyMcStudpants
04-19-2015, 08:06 PM
I think over 400 collectables in such a small space though, I mean Paris was big but because all the collectables were close together and as you said it didn't feel sectionalised enough, it just felt like too much.

The question that must be asked is...."Why were they in the game?"

It didn't provide much in the way of content. I remember watching a vlog by the guy who does the trophy hunting videos called "PS4Trophies" and he states that really games should only have collectables if it ties in with the story or has significant meaning.

Previous games where you collected Feathers as Ezio it was throw back to his little brother being killed.

The point I'm making is there is no reason for that many collectables so we honestly shouldn't have them.

I agree 100%.. collectibles should lead to something
Collectibles started in AC1 as a complete joke... they were making fun of the idea of meaningless collectibles and ironically they are now the face of it...
I enjoy collectibles ALOT in AC.. infact its rare for me to enjoy them period...
But AC in the past has used them as a way to show you cool locations.. at least in AC3 they did... IN AC 4 as well with treasure maps.. those type of collectibles are awesome..
I would almost prefer collectibles were taken down to about 20-30 and NOT marked on a map... kinda like they used to be
Why are they there?
I touched on it in my review of both Rogue and Unity
They are there to add justifiable hours to the game which is a MASSIVE mistake...
If you think there is more quality in a long game of tedious grind than a short game that really punches you with great story telling, mechanics, and emotions, you are greatly mistaken.
Unity was such a waste of a time period
It added nothing to the series at all... I consider it a check out what we are doing demo...not an actual staple to the series...
At least that is my hope...

aprice07
04-19-2015, 08:52 PM
I agree there were too many. I think it worked in ACIV:BF because of the size of the map, and treasure chests fit with pirates more than anything else. I had no drive to go after collectibles in Unity, besides the fact that they just clutter my map. There was never any real story-driven reason to collect. We've come a long way away from the days of collecting feathers for Ezio's mother, and codex pages that not only told a story, but were required to be collected and solved in order to finish the game. Then there was the tombs that were not only fun, but unlocked the best armor in the game.

D.I.D.
04-19-2015, 10:03 PM
Yeah. I'm not against collectibles - I think they can be a great way to make little environmental puzzles, and to encourage players to visit parts of the map they might not have investigated - but I think there are too many. Also, as so many other people are saying, there ought to be a decent reward at the end.

Any task like this with too long a slog is DOA, whether it's collecting too many items or having too many riddles to solve between you and the special skin/armour. The player should still be feeling excitement about turning over the last stone, and not completely fatigued many hours before they get there. Unity's tasks seemed to cause an especially large amount of bitterness, and games shouldn't do that!

kosmoscreed
04-20-2015, 06:11 AM
Not only they have gone too far but is embarrassing, it feels like they use a programa to place collectibles randomly on the map. Collectibles, the way AC does it, bring nothing to the overall experience, just an artificial way to extend your play time.

LoyalACFan
04-20-2015, 08:31 AM
Oh hell yes they've gone too far. AC1's collectibles were intended as a joke, but AC2 goofed by making them a serious part of the game. Granted, they at least made a little bit of sense story-wise since it was done in Petruccio's memory, but it was still a boring drag to find them. Same with ACB, the flags sucked but it made a little bit of sense because you were eroding Borgia influence or whatever. But then in Revelations they made Animus fragments... ugh. Absolute waste of time. Same with cockades, there's no story context whatsoever, it's just "go grab that floating thing and we'll give you a costume dye." Asinine. If you want to guide the player to a cool location that's off the beaten track, work it into a side mission, don't just plop a stupid shiny thing on it and say "fetch!"

I say get rid of these kind of collectibles altogether, they really don't add jack to the game. And to anyone who says removing them from the map is a solution... it isn't. Think GTA5. Did anyone actually bother hunting down all those letter scraps and UFO parts? And if you did, did you genuinely enjoy it?

Markaccus
04-20-2015, 09:29 AM
I thought ac2 had "enough" collectables, and they all had a point (statues for cash and upgrading villa,paintings did likewise et.c). The feathers were a bit of a grind, but you got a weapon and a cape (for an achievement) out of them, and they were a good reason to explore. From ACB onwards, they started sticking them in silly places,like the romulus lairs having flags. Really not worth the grind either. Some were ok,like shop quest items for upgrades (a kind of you scratch my back, and i will give you a sword to stab somone elses kind of deal). But others were just tedium. It got out of control after that. And Unity has too many for not much reward imo. I like the game,but collecting seventeen million cockades just ao i can dye my clothes orange is excessive.

RinoTheBouncer
04-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Oh hell yes they've gone too far. AC1's collectibles were intended as a joke, but AC2 goofed by making them a serious part of the game. Granted, they at least made a little bit of sense story-wise since it was done in Petruccio's memory, but it was still a boring drag to find them. Same with ACB, the flags sucked but it made a little bit of sense because you were eroding Borgia influence or whatever. But then in Revelations they made Animus fragments... ugh. Absolute waste of time. Same with cockades, there's no story context whatsoever, it's just "go grab that floating thing and we'll give you a costume dye." Asinine. If you want to guide the player to a cool location that's off the beaten track, work it into a side mission, don't just plop a stupid shiny thing on it and say "fetch!"

I say get rid of these kind of collectibles altogether, they really don't add jack to the game. And to anyone who says removing them from the map is a solution... it isn't. Think GTA5. Did anyone actually bother hunting down all those letter scraps and UFO parts? And if you did, did you genuinely enjoy it?

I agree 100%

Democrito_71
04-20-2015, 04:26 PM
Unitys amount of different collectibles were too extreme and the collectibles felt like fillers and didn't add anything to the overall game.

If Ubi is going to keep these collectables for future titles, then I think it should only exist 50 of one sort of collectible items that gives us optional missions during the First civ that reveals secrets about TWCB that we haven’t known before and adds to the overall AC-lore instead of collecting cockades just to get new color settings for the outfits.

Don't want too be rude but the design choice with the collectable cockades were kinda lazy thought out imo.

Shahkulu101
04-20-2015, 04:30 PM
Looking at Paris' map was just totally overwhelming and drained most of the enthusiasm I had for playing the game due to the amount of collectables. There were far, far too much and since they add nothing to the game they only served as icons to be hovered up for the player in order to increase his/her play time. They weren't there to engage the player in any meaningful way or to have fun, and that's a terrible thing for a video game to do.

I think they should either make collectibles useful or just don't have them appear on the map - collectibles are supposed to be hidden after all - and exclude them from the 100% requirements so you don't need to waste time grinding in order to fully complete the game.