PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed fans please support us Prince of Persia fans

Rinofuri
04-15-2015, 02:04 PM
-assassin's creed fans please support us prince of persia fans-
Please sign the petition and help us get a new Prince of Persia game.Tnx
https://www.change.org/p/ubisoft-bring-back-the-prince-of-persia-franchise

Shahkulu101
04-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Won't work.

Rinofuri
04-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Won't work.
Atleast we can try,so please i would be gratefull for any help.

m4r-k7
04-15-2015, 03:38 PM
I am sure there is a PoP game in development right now. I mean we have the next-gen consoles, Ubisoft would be stupid not to develop a PoP when there are tons of fans out there. Don't worry..

VestigialLlama4
04-15-2015, 04:34 PM
Can I ask something, why do people want a new PoP game?

I mean the first Prince of Persia (i.e. the really original Jordan Bechner game) was a platform classic with incredible level design. But then he made a 2D sequel that was really lame. Then they made a leap to 3D with Sands of Time and made a classic (directed by Our Lord and Master Patrice Desilets). Then they did two really s--tty sequels, followed by another ****ty sequel, followed by a boring reboot.

In terms of Franchise, PoP, rests its shoulders on two terrific games - the really first one and the 3D remake by Desilets, that should tell you that the concept has limited potential. I don't see how a Next-Gen PoP is going to improve it since the Arabian Nights fantasy was perfectly captured in Sands of Time and the minute it introduces some elements of realism, as the sequels did, the concept just...dies, it loses all the wit and charm that made Sands of Time work.

Defalt221
04-15-2015, 05:45 PM
-assassin's creed fans please support us prince of persia fans-
Please sign the petition and help us get a new Prince of Persia game.Tnx
https://www.change.org/p/ubisoft-bring-back-the-prince-of-persia-franchise

Signed it. I support this too. I believe that the POP series has more potential. Along with Current Gen technologies it could do things that the originals could not. A reboot of the series or a continuation would be appreciated. And Ubisoft has grown large with Quebec being a major studio. They can easily manage it.
You guys need to spread this petetion news throughout the internet (Already 1052 votes). I'll spread it over IGN, Gamespot and as many as possible and tell my friends to sign it too. Ubisoft needs to hear us!!
Meanwhile can you sign this too: https://www.change.org/p/from-software-release-bloodborne-for-the-personalized-computing-platform (I know this sounds stupid to tell SONY but FROM can decide that...)

Won't work.

Ubisoft will listen if votes number very high. Like The Division.

Rinofuri
04-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Defalt221 thanks for help I appreciate it and I signed your petition too.
VestigialLlama4 There is a reason when people want it.Reason is that we love that game and want to see more of that product.
m4r-k7 I realy hope that is true.

VestigialLlama4
04-15-2015, 06:34 PM
VestigialLlama4 There is a reason when people want it.Reason is that we love that game and want to see more of that product.

If you love the games, replay them. They (POP1 and Sands of Time) are still as great and as special as they are the first time around. If you want you can ask for a HD update or a HD remake of Sands of Time, but I don't see what purpose a reboot and remake or a new entry will serve.

If you wanted to start a petition for a new IP than do that.

Rinofuri
04-15-2015, 06:42 PM
I think that all Prince of Persia fans including me replayed all Prince of Persia games,and other like original 2d games by:Jordan Mechner and 3D one by:RedOrb.We all replayed that many many times.
We replayed it many times.But now at 100 times that we replayed we are bored and we want to play a new Prince of Persia game...

GunnerGalactico
04-15-2015, 07:38 PM
I'm also interested in another PoP game. Signed it :)

Sushiglutton
04-15-2015, 07:45 PM
I really like Prince Of Persia, but like Vesti said the franchise has been a bit shakey lately. Sands of Time is one of my favourite games of all time, magical when it first came! There were some aspects of 2008 I enjoyed very much. But to make collecting glowing orbs the core activity was insane. Forgotten sands: The final part with those crazy waterfall segments were spectaculary awesome. Other than that it was kind of meh.

As with AC I just don't understand how a company like Ubi, with a decade of experience, can fail so hard at stuff like combat. Anyway long story short, I actually do miss PoP a lot. I prefer it to AC in a lot of ways and I like Sands Of Time more than any AC game.

I'm just rambling a bit here, but if Ubi made a PoP with the right approach (imo, Sands Of Time inspired. Charming characters, puzzles, stylish combat, platforming, linear, no BS collectibles/XP) that would be awesome and I'd buy it in a heartbeat :D!

Rinofuri
04-15-2015, 07:57 PM
:)

VestigialLlama4
04-15-2015, 08:15 PM
You know what would be cool, if they did a modern day Prince of Persia. Make the Prince a Middle-Eastern Nathan Drake, that would be kind of cool.

D.I.D.
04-15-2015, 08:46 PM
I loved the original PoP back in the day. I loved Sands Of Time. I love computer games.

However, I am sick of saying this:

Stop using Change.org for your videogame ********.

Change.org is a genuinely important website. The petitions actually do have an effect a lot of the time, and they're helping to have a positive effect on the lives of people who have a lot more to worry about than where their next ****ing Prince Of Persia game is coming from. The petitions have not and will never affect the decisions of games software companies.

Do you understand what the business model of that site is? It's paid for out of profits raised from promoted petitions on behalf of charities. So, when you waste Change.org's money with your nonsense, you're one degree removed from wasting charitable donations. Charities pay that money to Change.org because they need it to exist.

TL: DR - This does nothing good, and only serves to remind people that gamers are self-absorbed, myopic, ignorant scumbags

Jackdaw951
04-15-2015, 09:17 PM
I've always thought that AC was the evolution of PoP into something grander. True, we're nowhere near the original game's idealized Persia in time or space anymore, but how many games can be set there?

Shahkulu101
04-15-2015, 09:36 PM
I loved the original PoP back in the day. I loved Sands Of Time. I love computer games.

However, I am sick of saying this:

Stop using Change.org for your videogame ********.

Change.org is a genuinely important website. The petitions actually do have an effect a lot of the time, and they're helping to have a positive effect on the lives of people who have a lot more to worry about than where their next ****ing Prince Of Persia game is coming from. The petitions have not and will never affect the decisions of games software companies.

Do you understand what the business model of that site is? It's paid for out of profits raised from promoted petitions on behalf of charities. So, when you waste Change.org's money with your nonsense, you're one degree removed from wasting charitable donations. Charities pay that money to Change.org because they need it to exist.

TL: DR - This does nothing good, and only serves to remind people that gamers are self-absorbed, myopic, ignorant scumbags

Agree with what you're saying but please don't generalize 'gamers', far too much of that in the media as it is. It just adheres to stereotypes and prejudices that gaming culture has been trying to shake off for years.

HiddenKiller612
04-15-2015, 11:20 PM
The prince of persia side of the forums is so dead you bring the petition here? You can't force a company to spend millions of dollars on creating a game, if they don't see the profit in it.

Dead1y-Derri
04-16-2015, 06:36 AM
I enjoyed a lot of the prince of persia games. I never played the original trigoly but I did play The Sands of Time Trilogy and a few of the console spin offs such as this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Persia_(2008_video_game)

And I enjoyed most of them fairly well. Sure there were moments when I thought "Okay, this isn't exactly a stellar game" but for the most part I enjoyed the games and would gladly see the return of them. I think people here saying the game only had two good games are basically going off of opinion alone as a lot of these games got moderate to good reviews and the series is very well known and the gameplay is usually spot on.

Dev_Anj
04-16-2015, 07:15 AM
I really wish some of these franchises could have people do things like the Dark Mod and make a game that uses the concepts but has different names and implementation. Besides, aren't there many platformers in the indie market already? I'm sure something like that could work.

X_xWolverinEx_X
04-16-2015, 07:48 AM
no

king-hailz
04-16-2015, 08:53 AM
Can I ask something, why do people want a new PoP game?

I mean the first Prince of Persia (i.e. the really original Jordan Bechner game) was a platform classic with incredible level design. But then he made a 2D sequel that was really lame. Then they made a leap to 3D with Sands of Time and made a classic (directed by Our Lord and Master Patrice Desilets). Then they did two really s--tty sequels, followed by another ****ty sequel, followed by a boring reboot.

In terms of Franchise, PoP, rests its shoulders on two terrific games - the really first one and the 3D remake by Desilets, that should tell you that the concept has limited potential. I don't see how a Next-Gen PoP is going to improve it since the Arabian Nights fantasy was perfectly captured in Sands of Time and the minute it introduces some elements of realism, as the sequels did, the concept just...dies, it loses all the wit and charm that made Sands of Time work.

That is a very good point and I agree however I still signed. This is because I think u bios ft is spending way too much of their money and time on AC, They need to branch out and make different games with different ideas, not just ideas that work for AC.

Markaccus
04-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Exclusive footage from the new PoP game. There will be a focus on magic carpets.

http://i.imgur.com/xM9yv7Y.gif

VestigialLlama4
04-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Exclusive footage from the new PoP game. There will be a focus on magic carpets.

Somehow that is only slightly racist.

EDIT: This comment and response wasn't well thought out and appropriate. It also took this post needlessly off topic. Feelings were hurt, commenters became uncomfortable. I am not deleting the post since nothing afterwards makes sense.

Markaccus
04-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Somehow that is only slightly racist.

It isn't rasist at all. Magic carpets have always been asociated with persian myth. PoP games are mythical and magical. It's an appropriate joke. Your racism-card is invalid.

VestigialLlama4
04-16-2015, 04:19 PM
It isn't rasist at all. Magic carpets have always been asociated with persian myth.

It's a myth that is associated with the Arabian Nights. Arabs are not Persians. Lesson One.

D.I.D.
04-16-2015, 04:26 PM
It's a myth that is associated with the Arabian Nights. Arabs are not Persians. Lesson One.

One Thousand and One Nights is often referred to as The Arabian Nights because it was first compiled in Arabic. It's collected from a range of cultures from West and North Africa through to South East Asia, but Persia was major contributor. Sheherezade is a Persian name.

VestigialLlama4
04-16-2015, 04:30 PM
One Thousand and One Nights is often referred to as The Arabian Nights because it was first compiled in Arabic. It's collected from a range of cultures from West and North Africa through to South East Asia, but Persia was major contributor. Sheherezade is a Persian name.

Well Persia had its own literary traditions that existed at the time as well. The Shahnameh for instance, several great poets and writers. In any case, the specific story with the Magic Carpet takes place when a Sultan sends his son to the Indian Kingdom of Vijayanagar, so the Magic Carpet is actually Indian(or Hindu).

Markaccus
04-16-2015, 04:35 PM

You can't help yourself, can you? Well...

Thanks, D.I.D. You saved me the bother.

Magic carpets have popped up in MANY cultures, even in ancient Indian mythology. Persia was at one point a MASSIVE empire. I cant believe you, Llama, of all people, did not bother to check that.

And, no matter how technical you want to get, my post was not the slightest bit racist. I expect an apology for such a slur.

Megas_Doux
04-16-2015, 04:36 PM
I heavily dislike when the race card is played that lightly, being honest......

Those One Thousand and One Nights stories are told to a PERSIAN king by his bride. Therefore you are BLATANTLY wrong, again............... Oh and this:

http://www.welovedosgames.net/resizeimagereal.php?PLAATJE=images/games/prince2/prince_147.png&w=640&h=480

Markaccus
04-16-2015, 04:39 PM

Those One Thousand and One Nights stories are told to a PERSIAN king by his bride. Therefore you are BLATANTLY wrong, again............... Oh and this:

http://www.welovedosgames.net/resizeimagereal.php?PLAATJE=images/games/prince2/prince_147.png&w=640&h=480

But surely V.L. is NEVER wrong? :-D

Locopells
04-16-2015, 04:55 PM
Guys...

VestigialLlama4
04-16-2015, 05:06 PM
But surely V.L. is NEVER wrong? :-D

You are damn right I am never wrong. :o

Hence why I said he was being "only slightly racist". I mean everyone has been racist at some point in their lives, but being overly defensive is not healthy.

Those One Thousand and One Nights stories are told to a PERSIAN king by his bride.

And Aladdin is set in China, doesn't make it Chinese.

Markaccus
04-16-2015, 05:09 PM
It. Wasn't. Even. SLIGHTLY. Racist. Not one tiny bit. It was about mythology linked to persian (and plenty others) culture. I should not even have to defend it in ANY form.

VestigialLlama4
04-16-2015, 05:10 PM
It. Wasn't. Even. SLIGHTLY. Racist. Not one tiny bit. It was about mythology linked to persian (and plenty others) culture. I should not even have to defend it in ANY form.

Will you relax?

Markaccus
04-16-2015, 05:18 PM
Will you relax?

No. You will not admit you were wrong to play the race-card. You are a disgrace.

Shahkulu101
04-16-2015, 05:25 PM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

VestigialLlama4
04-16-2015, 05:30 PM
No. You will not admit you were wrong to play the race-card. You are a disgrace.

There is no such thing as a "race card". I saw that gif and I found it tasteless in context, so I made an off-the-cuff comment. I mean your post wasn't even adding to the discussion of a new Prince of Persia game or whether its something we should look forward to.

In any case, if you are that upset, I apologize. If you wish I will add an EDIT there saying the remark was an error.

To be frank, the principle reason I don't like the concept of redoing a new version of Prince of Persia is that the original game and Sands of Time (which are still great) kind of has this dated orientalist thing to it which after a time becomes a racist cliche. Its like we can't think of other stories to do in that setting which doesn't have Princes, Scantily Clad Women and Magic Carpets. The whole idea of the magical east which comes from the Arabian Nights (and only two or three stories of the Arabian Nights, there are other stories that are a lot more down-to-earth and interesting) is cliche. The later sequels of prince of persia still traffic in that and it gets banal because with the greater realism and sophistication in storytelling you can do more. That's kind of why AC1 was formed, Patrice Desilets found actual Middle Eastern history more interesting than the fantasy version.

Now there's this Chronicles INDIA coming which has again this cheap kitschy orientalist colours and everybody remembering the Maharajah's Palace in Sands of Time.

ze_topazio
04-16-2015, 05:30 PM
A open world Prince of Persia with a magic carpet for moving around would be most awesome.

Now that I think about when I suggested Iran once in the "Future settings" thread I joked that they should include a carpet of eden because no matter how stupid it would be it would also be freaking awesome.

Markaccus
04-16-2015, 05:43 PM
There is no such thing as a "race card". I saw that gif and I found it tasteless in context, so I made an off-the-cuff comment. I mean your post wasn't even adding to the discussion of a new Prince of Persia game or whether its something we should look forward to.

In any case, if you are that upset, I apologize. If you wish I will add an EDIT there saying the remark was an error.

To be frank, the principle reason I don't like the concept of redoing a new version of Prince of Persia is that the original game and Sands of Time (which are still great) kind of has this dated orientalist thing to it which after a time becomes a racist cliche. Its like we can't think of other stories to do in that setting which doesn't have Princes, Scantily Clad Women and Magic Carpets. The whole idea of the magical east which comes from the Arabian Nights (and only two or three stories of the Arabian Nights, there are other stories that are a lot more down-to-earth and interesting) is cliche. The later sequels of prince of persia still traffic in that and it gets banal because with the greater realism and sophistication in storytelling you can do more. That's kind of why AC1 was formed, Patrice Desilets found actual Middle Eastern history more interesting than the fantasy version.

Now there's this Chronicles INDIA coming which has again this cheap kitschy orientalist colours and everybody remembering the Maharajah's Palace in Sands of Time.

How on earth can you find a joke about mythology tasteless? There was no swearing, visual obsenity or bigotry involved. You are totally in the wrong here, and well out of order. You have turned a perfectly innocent, light hearted post into something that it clearly isn't. And the term "race-card" is a metaphor for situations when people cry "racism", often inapropriately, as you did.

VestigialLlama4
04-16-2015, 05:46 PM
A open world Prince of Persia with a magic carpet for moving around would be most awesome.

Now that I think about when I suggested Iran once in the "Future settings" thread I joked that they should include a carpet of eden because no matter how stupid it would be it would also be freaking awesome.

Ideally they should do Baghdad during the reign of Harun Al'Raschid. Then you can maybe do some of the Arabian Nights stuff, most of the stories are actually set there and you have fascinating real-life figures like the real Jafar ibn Yahya al Barmaki, who by the way wasn't a bad guy in both history or the original stories, he was actually a good guy (a patron of science and translation of Greek).

You know Bechner's Prince of Persia was inspired by the film The Thief of Bagdad, the silent version by Douglas Fairbanks and the Technicolor 1940 version. The 1940 movie introduced stuff like Jafar being a bad guy, a Prince and Princess, a sidekick named Abu (who briefly becomes a monkey) and flying carpet. It's a great movie but it's sad that this version supplies cliches Disney and Bechner and Ubisoft keep regurgitating on and on.

Markaccus
04-16-2015, 05:47 PM

I see my worthless joke has given you an idea :D

I would play an open world PoP. Never been a PoP fan but thats because clasically they are just linear platform games (from what i remember). And carpet travel would be,as you say "awesome"

VestigialLlama4
04-16-2015, 05:49 PM
How on earth can you find a joke about mythology tasteless? There was no swearing, visual obsenity or bigotry involved. You are totally in the wrong here, and well out of order. You have turned a perfectly innocent, light hearted post into something that it clearly isn't. And the term "race-card" is a metaphor for situations when people cry "racism", often inapropriately, as you did.

Maybe you are right. I added an EDIT in the original post saying it was wrong. I should not be so snooty I guess.

Megas_Doux
04-16-2015, 06:05 PM

Iran/Iraq are THE places for me, whether this:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130906204643/runescapeclans/images/b/b2/Arabian_City.jpg

And mostly this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3Cm1BaWVNmk/UYz5fNGQzNI/AAAAAAAACMk/EKET_IxCr7w/s1600/babylonhanginggardens2.jpg

I would kill for the latter in fact .p

Markaccus
04-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Maybe you are right. I added an EDIT in the original post saying it was wrong. I should not be so snooty I guess.

Ok. Thanks. I accept.

Look, me and you can sort our differences out. When it comes to games, I have a small checklist for what makes a game "good" in my opinion. Mostly the various aspects of it's playability and interface. The rest is incidental.

You,on the other hand, clearly have a bigger list. You are less easily pleased. I can respect that. Thats the way you are when it comes to games. I fully accept (although admitedly do not fully understand) that you see UNITY as a bad game. Now, here is the important bit....

I am a person who can Agree to Differ. This is a subject that we will NEVER agree on. Trying to persuade each other to change sides is an exercise in futility. It does NOT mean we need to have a go at each other (and i accept i did that today as much as you did today, because i probably would not have reacted quite as extremely to someone else, so i appologise for my zeal), and since your knowlege of certain things is interesting, i would be willing to put all this aside and discuss AC in general and other things with you and everyone else, minus the arguments.

I guess you could call this an olive branch?

VestigialLlama4
04-16-2015, 06:12 PM

And mostly this:

The Hanging Gardens is unlikely to have actually existed. It's kind of like the lost city of Atlantis. Just some weird metaphor that later became a meme. Heck if they want might as well go ahead and build the Tower of Babel and have us climb it and do the biggest, tallest leap of faith possible. Of course Atlantis may not have existed but Iram of the Pillars certainly did, pity Uncharted 3 tackled that.

I guess you could call this an olive branch?

Sure, what could possibly go wrong? ;)

Markaccus
04-16-2015, 06:23 PM
The Hanging Gardens is unlikely to have actually existed. It's kind of like the lost city of Atlantis. Just some weird metaphor that later became a meme. Heck if they want might as well go ahead and build the Tower of Babel and have us climb it and do the biggest, tallest leap of faith possible. Of course Atlantis may not have existed but Iram of the Pillars certainly did, pity Uncharted 3 tackled that.

Are the Gardens that unlikely? Well i dont know a lot about them, but there is probably enough of a legend out there to put them in a PoP game, but i suppose an AC game might be pushing it.We are in ancient history times so it probably wont be that much of a stretch.

Sure, what could possibly go wrong? ;)

Nothing, i am sure :D

ze_topazio
04-16-2015, 06:32 PM
Ideally they should do Baghdad during the reign of Harun Al'Raschid. Then you can maybe do some of the Arabian Nights stuff, most of the stories are actually set there and you have fascinating real-life figures like the real Jafar ibn Yahya al Barmaki, who by the way wasn't a bad guy in both history or the original stories, he was actually a good guy (a patron of science and translation of Greek).

You know Bechner's Prince of Persia was inspired by the film The Thief of Bagdad, the silent version by Douglas Fairbanks and the Technicolor 1940 version. The 1940 movie introduced stuff like Jafar being a bad guy, a Prince and Princess, a sidekick named Abu (who briefly becomes a monkey) and flying carpet. It's a great movie but it's sad that this version supplies cliches Disney and Bechner and Ubisoft keep regurgitating on and on.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130906204643/runescapeclans/images/b/b2/Arabian_City.jpg

And mostly this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3Cm1BaWVNmk/UYz5fNGQzNI/AAAAAAAACMk/EKET_IxCr7w/s1600/babylonhanginggardens2.jpg

I think my suggestion back then was the Safavid or Afsharid dynasties.

Baghdad on the other hand I would like the round city of Baghdad during the Abbasid Caliphate.

Locopells
04-17-2015, 10:03 AM
Mark and Vest - if the olive branch holds then good, but lay off each other.

If this is going to turn into a future AC ideas thread, take it to the Future AC Locations thread, guys.

D.I.D.
04-17-2015, 10:52 AM
Well Persia had its own literary traditions that existed at the time as well. The Shahnameh for instance, several great poets and writers. In any case, the specific story with the Magic Carpet takes place when a Sultan sends his son to the Indian Kingdom of Vijayanagar, so the Magic Carpet is actually Indian(or Hindu).

Fair. Purely for bragging rights, here's my 1899 edition :)

http://i60.tinypic.com/24w98yf.jpg

VestigialLlama4
04-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Fair. Purely for bragging rights, here's my 1899 edition :)

http://i60.tinypic.com/24w98yf.jpg

Interesting cover. I like old-fashioned illustration.

D.I.D.
04-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Interesting cover. I like old-fashioned illustration.

This one's cover has suffered a bit from being crated and moved with me between countries, but the binding is still solid. The print and the illustrations inside are still beautiful.

A lot of people jump to the assumption that because the book is a product of Victorian imperialism and Orientalism, it must be offensive, distorted and inaccurate, but that's never been the feeling I've got from it. It's very restrained in the visual representations of the scenes, and the text doesn't strike me as disrespectful either. I've seen much worse things in modern entertainment (Disney, etc).

VestigialLlama4
04-17-2015, 11:58 AM
This one's cover has suffered a bit from being crated and moved with me between countries, but the binding is still solid. The print and the illustrations inside are still beautiful.

A lot of people jump to the assumption that because the book is a product of Victorian imperialism and Orientalism, it must be offensive, distorted and inaccurate, but that's never been the feeling I've got from it. It's very restrained in the visual representations of the scenes, and the text doesn't strike me as disrespectful either. I've seen much worse things in modern entertainment (Disney, etc).

I love the Arabian Nights a lot, I like several stories from it (The Three Apples, Maaruf the Cobbler, City of Brass and many others) but its not very good when people use the Arabian Nights as their sole reference point for entertainment set in that region. And its always cobbled from specific stories (Ali Baba, Aladdin, Sindbad), and ironically its those three stories which scholars note were not originally part of the Nights but later additions (either added and elaborated by the French translator or wholly invented). It might be nice someday for people to do a game based entirely on the original Arabian Nights and correct cliches from it. And most of those cliches are based on the 1940 Thief of Bagdad (which is a great film don't get me wrong) rather than coming up with their own take. At a certain point, people get lost in imitation. I mean BLACK FLAG did a Pirate game that did something new, it didn't redo the same cliches from Errol Flynn or Johnny Depp or Monkey Island and Sid Meier, it challenged and changed how we looked at that highly overexposed era in history.

That's why I don't know why people want a new Prince of Persia game. As an IP, Prince of Persia suited the cinematic platformer that came in the 80s, it had a nice prison escape theme, the Arabian Nights fueled created some good-looking levels and wonderful use of colour, they even worked the monkey from Thief of Bagdad into this joke. But the sequel of that game (Shadow and Flame) was not very good, it kind of reused the same plot, better looking levels but the inspiration became dryer. Then Desilets and Bechner revived it with Sands of Time and they based it on ICO (itself inspired by the original Prince of Persia), but then the sequels ran that well dry, trying to create some kind of complicated mythology for no reason. It became humourless and dry. Then the 2008 decided to base it on Zoroastrian ideas and do it like Okami, a good idea in theory but not in practise. The point is POP was always a one-joke concept. It's not really franchise material.

D.I.D.
04-17-2015, 12:12 PM
I love the Arabian Nights a lot, I like several stories from it (The Three Apples, Maaruf the Cobbler, City of Brass and many others) but its not very good when people use the Arabian Nights as their sole reference point for entertainment set in that region. And its always cobbled from specific stories (Ali Baba, Aladdin, Sindbad), and ironically its those three stories which scholars note were not originally part of the Nights but later additions (either added and elaborated by the French translator or wholly invented). It might be nice someday for people to do a game based entirely on the original Arabian Nights and correct cliches from it. And most of those cliches are based on the 1940 Thief of Bagdad (which is a great film don't get me wrong) rather than the stuff. At a certain point, people get lost in imitation.

That's why I don't know why people want a new Prince of Persia game. As an IP, Prince of Persia suited the cinematic platformer that came in the 80s, it had a nice prison escape theme, the Arabian Nights fueled created some good-looking levels and wonderful use of colour, they even worked the monkey from Thief of Bagdad into this joke. But the sequel of that game (Shadow and Flame) was not very good, it kind of reused the same plot, better looking levels but the inspiration became dryer. Then Desilets and Bechner revived it with Sands of Time and they based it on ICO (itself inspired by the original Prince of Persia), but then the sequels ran that well dry, trying to create some kind of complicated mythology for no reason. It became humourless and dry. Then the 2008 decided to base it on Zoroastrian ideas and do it like Okami, a good idea in theory but not in practise. The point is POP was always a one-joke concept. It's not really franchise material.

Yeah, I agree. I guess it looks like franchise material to the people who liked the games post-Sands, but as you say, Sands kind of hit a home run. It's probably the reason why The Forgotten Sands feels especially disappointing )even though it's by no means the worst of the Ubisoft sequels) because it's transparently tracing the notes of Sands while trying not to look like it's tracing Sands, and ends up in this timid space where it's neither one thing or another.

Even so, I think there's potential for one more reimagining of the Sands template, as it might have been if it was unrestricted by the technology of its era. If it was to be a franchise, I'd like to see it freed from the PoP name: a series where the theme of Middle-Eastern storytelling connects the games, rather than having to shoehorn the Prince into every one of them. I'd love to see what Ubisoft could do if they decided to cast the net quite wide on this: the stories-within-stories tricks of My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk, for example.

STDlyMcStudpants
04-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Nah
I like PoP but not nearly enough to care if it ever comes back lol

Rinofuri
04-24-2015, 05:06 PM
Ubisoft,please we want a new Prince of Persia game,please..

VoXngola
04-24-2015, 05:33 PM
Ubisoft,please we want a new Prince of Persia game,please..
No.

http://www.vincentabry.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Yves-Guillemot.jpg

Rinofuri
04-24-2015, 05:44 PM
yus yus yus yes yes yes yus yus yus

The4orTy67
04-24-2015, 06:49 PM
I bought multiple Assassin's Creeds but none of them gave me the feeling the Prince gave me.

Rinofuri
04-24-2015, 08:56 PM
I bought multiple Assassin's Creeds but none of them gave me the feeling the Prince gave me.
:)