PDA

View Full Version : Companion apps in future titles.

Markaccus
04-15-2015, 10:13 AM
I, personally, like the idea of a companion app. The AC:BF app was ideal imo. It was basically and out-of-game access point for the fleet, so you could make money from the real time fleet missions.
The unity app got it wrong imo because you could not access your nomads in-game.

With this in mind, how do people feel about future companion apps? What type would you want?

EmptyCrustacean
04-15-2015, 10:55 AM
I, personally, like the idea of a companion app. The AC:BF app was ideal imo. It was basically and out-of-game access point for the fleet, so you could make money from the real time fleet missions.
The unity app got it wrong imo because you could not access your nomads in-game.

With this in mind, how do people feel about future companion apps? What type would you want?

You've essentially echoed how I think most people feel about it. You can have the companion app but literally as a COMPANION to the missions in game, not as a necessity to getting 100%.
They nailed it with Kenway's fleet by giving people the choice and having it act in real time. this is yet another example of Unity taking something away and adding more gimmicks.

Markaccus
04-15-2015, 11:20 AM
You've essentially echoed how I think most people feel about it. You can have the companion app but literally as a COMPANION to the missions in game, not as a necessity to getting 100%.
They nailed it with Kenway's fleet by giving people the choice and having it act in real time. this is yet another example of Unity taking something away and adding more gimmicks.

Yes,the chests would have been an ideal "collection point" for nomad cash rewards, (or maybe have one blue chest in each district where you can collect whatever items and cash you have earned in all missions), had it been accessible in real time in and out of game. There would have been a good reason to replay them rather than just grinding monotonously to unlock an item and cash ONCE! Certain missions could have an upgrade reward the first time you do it (like AC:BF) and they could have dropped those blue missions where you simply walk up and stab somebody in the back. Like you say, it was made too gimmiky.

dxsxhxcx
04-15-2015, 02:47 PM
it needs to go away for good, they need to get their **** together and focus on the game, 7 years/games later and they still are struggling to find balance and fix many things that have been plaguing this franchise for years...

Markaccus
04-15-2015, 02:54 PM
it needs to go away for good, they need to get their **** together and focus on the game, 7 years/games later and they still are struggling to find balance and fix many things that have been plaguing this franchise for years...

You are a 'no' then? ;)

Seriously, though, i agree they need to fix a lot and concentrate on the main game. I still think there is room for a simple comp-app, but it does not need to be so complex as unitys, nor should it detract from the main games experience if you choose not to have it.

Sorrosyss
04-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Honestly, I have to say no. The Unity debacle has put me off them, and I would rather they used the developers in question on other areas - specifically rebuilding the Initiates site to it's former glory.

Let's face it though, most players will play the new releases at launch, and anything that is utilising Uplay at that time, will be next to useless with said servers going down constantly. I'd rather they get things stable, and leave all this tertiary stuff alone.

Markaccus
04-15-2015, 07:47 PM
Honestly, I have to say no. The Unity debacle has put me off them, and I would rather they used the developers in question on other areas - specifically rebuilding the Initiates site to it's former glory.

Let's face it though, most players will play the new releases at launch, and anything that is utilising Uplay at that time, will be next to useless with said servers going down constantly. I'd rather they get things stable, and leave all this tertiary stuff alone.

Honestly speaking, your response is actually what I expected in general. The Unity App was a complete abortion, and you are right, if developing one to go with Victory is going to cause the same carnage as it did with Unity's release, then we would be better off without one.

pacmanate
04-16-2015, 09:36 PM
I think we will get them but nothing will be locked behind it. They had to unlock all the chests/missions because of backlash, they wont do the same mistake twice.

Shahkulu101
04-16-2015, 09:47 PM
I just see no point in using external devices while I'm playing a game. All it does is break immersion and disrupt the gaming experience, whether it's required to open a chest which is just ridiculous or a little more subtle in it's implementation for example acting as an extra map (which makes no sense) all it does is pull me out of the experience.

Screw companion apps and transmedia in general, let me have a full experience by simply playing the damn game and nothing else.

pacmanate
04-16-2015, 10:16 PM
let me have a full experience by simply playing the damn game and nothing else.
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120903092456/assassinscreed/ru/images/8/8c/AC_Initiates.jpg

Shahkulu101
04-16-2015, 10:22 PM
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120903092456/assassinscreed/ru/images/8/8c/AC_Initiates.jpg

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/1391559/vomit-o.gif

Markaccus
04-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Nice :D

LoyalACFan
04-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Screw companion apps and transmedia in general, let me have a full experience by simply playing the damn game and nothing else.

Hang this sentence on a banner in Ubi HQ :p

Companion apps are cool tech, really, they are. But to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, "you were so preoccupied by whether you could, you forgot to ask yourself whether you should."

Markaccus
04-16-2015, 10:34 PM
Hang this sentence on a banner in Ubi HQ :p

Companion apps are cool tech, really, they are. But to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, "you were so preoccupied by whether you could, you forgot to ask yourself whether you should."

Jurassic Creed?

I am in a minority now. I would still like one where i could manage a brotherhood and earn a bit of in game cash, while i am not playing. I used to send my ships away while i was at work, and in many cases they would be arriving back at the moment i switched the ps3 on at home. Then i didnt need it until the next day. They were together yet seperate, and all was harmonious, and there was no need to grind the mini game while i was actually in-game, as i could do that in my break times at work. I have to say i was genuinely disapointed when i downloaded the unity app. Its utter crap

ze_topazio
04-16-2015, 11:53 PM
Companion app?

http://i.imgur.com/99n8guV.gif

RinoTheBouncer
04-17-2015, 03:59 PM
I have no problem with companion apps, but I think they should have a more original idea behind them than just seeing your position on a map or clicking random missions. The section in ACU and ACBF which had the Database entry, Shanties and the likes was really nice. However, I think the companion app should be more independent that it offers extra information for the game rather than requires you to do things to unlock stuff in the game.

I think the Glyphs would be really nice if they were made in the original style of AC2 and ACB puzzles and implemented into the app in some way, rather than seeing a 3D model of a building and clicking on symbols all around it.

I think since not many people are into these companion apps and AC INITIATES is already a part of the story-telling of the AC franchise, then an app for AC: INITIATES that keeps updating frequently, giving us more extra information about the game and its characters, profiles, bios, history and all would be a lot more fun than a companion app for each game. Since AC:I tracks progress and rewards you for it, one way or another, then why can't it be the one and only database for all AC games progress? I'm not a huge fan of all this leveling thing nor the fact that stuff from inside the game are locked behind levels and conditions, or even the fact that instead of cutscene, we just get written text. But I'm with the idea of having a source that keeps updating even when there's no new game, and gives us periodic updates about the not-so-significant missions that the modern day brotherhood does, or some backstory about some characters that don't fit to be told in the game itself.

To me, that would be ideal. If that becomes an app and that app can connect with each new game and becomes a database for your accomplishments and discoveries, that would be absolutely epic and very useful. Because you can access it anytime, and it wouldn't keep asking you to connect to the game, and at any moment, you have this encyclopedia with you wherever you go. So it won't be something that we'd get bored of after a few days, nor limited to the time when we're playing a specific game.

Megas_Doux
04-17-2015, 10:03 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/1391559/vomit-o.gif

LOL

I liked the old initiates, though.

SixKeys
04-18-2015, 01:40 AM
Old Initiates was crap too. Initiates is to blame for the modern day dying in the actual games, since they basically used it as an excuse to dump all the dropped plot threads onto an external website. I still don't know what William, Rebecca and Shaun spent a year doing after Desmond's death because I couldn't be arsed to check in every week for a tiny tidbit of an ongoing story. Galina? No idea who that is and don't care. She's not in the games, so she must not be important. Only the games matter to me.

D.I.D.
04-18-2015, 07:34 AM
I was quite positive pre-Unity, and looking forward to seeing the app in action.

In reality, while the map was very nicely made, it could not function as a companion to the game. The phone can't be a second screen without burning through battery, needing an ungainly wire connection to the mains, or needing to be continually on a wireless charging pad (which overheats the phone and is bad for battery life).

The companion can't have good content, because it's pointless if not all of the audience is able to (or bothers to) see it, so inevitably the production team has to come up with elements that are appropriately disposable. If it did have good content, you'd be killing that game's legacy as new iterations of phone hardware and software atrophied the game. And, if you have to suffer the indignity of unlocking that content at once like Unity's team did, everyone gets to see that rubbish as it dilutes the quality of the main game.

It seems the Black Flag app, which I never used on a phone, is as close as Ubi could ever get to a positive reception for such an app. I challenge anyone to think of a worse part of BF and Rogue than the Fleet minigame.

I would really like to see Ubisoft cutting down on content rather than stuffing more in. I love the massive and detailed worlds, but it would be so much better to play a high quality 15-hour game in that world than a 30-40 hour game that contains too much transparent bollocks. I'll play the 15-hour game over and over, and love it every time. I'll turn over new secrets while exploring out of curiosity, rather than because an icon made me go there. Matter of fact, don't make viewpoints into a vast Venn diagram. Have space between them, and leave some fog-of-war for my character to tunnel through with his/her own vision.

rrebe
04-18-2015, 10:15 AM
If there really has to be a companion app, it should be something like what AC4 had. Just something extra for those willing to play the game while on the road for example, and not being forced to use the app to unlock stuff that's required for completing the game 100%. I think the idea of the ACU app was good and very innovative, but the execution fell short

Markaccus
04-18-2015, 11:20 AM
I have no problem with companion apps, but I think they should have a more original idea behind them than just seeing your position on a map or clicking random missions. The section in ACU and ACBF which had the Database entry, Shanties and the likes was really nice. However, I think the companion app should be more independent that it offers extra information for the game rather than requires you to do things to unlock stuff in the game.

I think the Glyphs would be really nice if they were made in the original style of AC2 and ACB puzzles and implemented into the app in some way, rather than seeing a 3D model of a building and clicking on symbols all around it.

I think since not many people are into these companion apps and AC INITIATES is already a part of the story-telling of the AC franchise, then an app for AC: INITIATES that keeps updating frequently, giving us more extra information about the game and its characters, profiles, bios, history and all would be a lot more fun than a companion app for each game. Since AC:I tracks progress and rewards you for it, one way or another, then why can't it be the one and only database for all AC games progress? I'm not a huge fan of all this leveling thing nor the fact that stuff from inside the game are locked behind levels and conditions, or even the fact that instead of cutscene, we just get written text. But I'm with the idea of having a source that keeps updating even when there's no new game, and gives us periodic updates about the not-so-significant missions that the modern day brotherhood does, or some backstory about some characters that don't fit to be told in the game itself.

To me, that would be ideal. If that becomes an app and that app can connect with each new game and becomes a database for your accomplishments and discoveries, that would be absolutely epic and very useful. Because you can access it anytime, and it wouldn't keep asking you to connect to the game, and at any moment, you have this encyclopedia with you wherever you go. So it won't be something that we'd get bored of after a few days, nor limited to the time when we're playing a specific game.

This is a good idea. If they could integrate a system where, if the game you are playing had any type of brotherhood/fleet in it, you could manage this real time outside the game, then, added to your idea, this would be the perfect app. All that would be required on each new game release would be an update to the app to create an interface to that particular game's fleet/bro-hood/whatever. Like you say, as long as our progress is saved to initiates, then there would be no need to 'sync' the app to the game.

Markaccus
04-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Thanks to everyone for making my first poll interesting :D

Sushiglutton
04-18-2015, 10:26 PM
I wish the companion app development had nothing to do with the actual game development. Like it had no affect on content, story and so on. Should be a one way communication where the app team got info from the game team, bit not the other way around to prevent the app from having any influence what so ever on the core.

I'm a fundamentalist though :p

SixKeys
04-18-2015, 11:27 PM
How would you guys feel about having the companion app function as an Abstergo add-on? Basically, immersing you in the fantasy of being an Abstergo employee/Initiate/Erudito/whatever while you're not in the game. It could have puzzles like the AC2 glyphs that, when solved, would reveal "confidential" Abstergo files talking about the lore and such. Like extra details about past characters, hints about possible future locations (e.g. "Abstergo has data that points to Egypt, China and Japan as housing Pieces of Eden, but these rumors are thus far unconfirmed by our researchers") etc. Players could also possibly share these files with others, turning it into a collective roleplaying experience where you feel like you're part of the hacker collective Erudito, "hacking" away at Abstergo's data with other users from around the globe. Kinda like Project Legacy except less Farmville-esque. I personally wouldn't be opposed to something like that, as long as it's kept separate from the main game.

The companion app shouldn't be tied to the actual game, it should be something extra that offers players worthwhile content. It should be a thing that's negligible if you don't care about the content it offers, but at the same time enticing to those who DO care about such content. Not everyone cares about unlocking in-game money chests or new pistols, but almost everyone cares about the story, lore and characters.

D.I.D.
04-19-2015, 12:24 AM
How would you guys feel about having the companion app function as an Abstergo add-on? Basically, immersing you in the fantasy of being an Abstergo employee/Initiate/Erudito/whatever while you're not in the game. It could have puzzles like the AC2 glyphs that, when solved, would reveal "confidential" Abstergo files talking about the lore and such. Like extra details about past characters, hints about possible future locations (e.g. "Abstergo has data that points to Egypt, China and Japan as housing Pieces of Eden, but these rumors are thus far unconfirmed by our researchers") etc. Players could also possibly share these files with others, turning it into a collective roleplaying experience where you feel like you're part of the hacker collective Erudito, "hacking" away at Abstergo's data with other users from around the globe. Kinda like Project Legacy except less Farmville-esque. I personally wouldn't be opposed to something like that, as long as it's kept separate from the main game.

The companion app shouldn't be tied to the actual game, it should be something extra that offers players worthwhile content. It should be a thing that's negligible if you don't care about the content it offers, but at the same time enticing to those who DO care about such content. Not everyone cares about unlocking in-game money chests or new pistols, but almost everyone cares about the story, lore and characters.

It's really hard to maintain it as living material, given that smartphone OSs change rapidly and apps become obsolete so fast, but I like this.

It can work as a kind of "access to spoilers" thing. It would be a shame if content explored in the app was never to be seen in the games of the future, so it might be nice if these things were introduced again (as though they were fresh info) for everyone in later games but a subset of the app users could feel good about having cracked this intel early. I keep hoping that the Project Legacy files will become main game subjects, and I particularly hope William Robert Woodman is in Victory because that was my favourite file.

I think there's so much more value in simple things like this in the world in general, like the Unity singers you were talking about the other day. Things like that are great for rewarding player exploration, and they promote online conversation. They don't have to be earth-shattering revelations, and they can be as simple as weird people, or unique behavioural situations that are never repeated elsewhere.

SixKeys
04-19-2015, 12:31 AM
It's really hard to maintain it as living material, given that smartphone OSs change rapidly and apps become obsolete so fast, but I like this.

It can work as a kind of "access to spoilers" thing. It would be a shame if content explored in the app was never to be seen in the games of the future, so it might be nice if these things were introduced again (as though they were fresh info) for everyone in later games but a subset of the app users could feel good about having cracked this intel early. I keep hoping that the Project Legacy files will become main game subjects, and I particularly hope William Robert Woodman is in Victory because that was my favourite file.

I think there's so much more value in simple things like this in the world in general, like the Unity singers you were talking about the other day. Things like that are great for rewarding player exploration, and they promote online conversation. They don't have to be earth-shattering revelations, and they can be as simple as weird people, or unique behavioural situations that are never repeated elsewhere.

Yeah, sneak peeks would be nice. Kinda like how the Abstergo Employee Handbook basically gave away the next three locations of future games (Unity, Victory and either Chronicles: China or an as yet unannounced game). There's always going to be speculation anyway, so having an app to fuel that would be good promotion for Ubi.