PDA

View Full Version : ACU vs ACIV:Best current gen AC

dimbismp
04-11-2015, 12:38 PM
It's been 1,5 year since the launch of the next(current) gen consoles,and since then we have had 2 main AC games.I enjoyed both of them,but which is better?Here is my comparison:

Story
I believe that ACIV has,hands down,a better story.

Even though i liked both protagonists,Edward is far more interesting than Arno,while i also believe that his character progression was more meaningful.In the meanwhile,the pirate stuff gives some fresh air to the plot,and,most importantly,is tied very well with the assassin's Creed.On the other hand,even though ACU seems superior on paper,giving the opportunity to experience a pure Assassins vs Templars plot,it fails IMO.ACIV's antagonists are mostly interesting and meaningful to the plot:Black Bart,Roberts and Torres are amongst my favourite AC antagonists.On the other hand,only La Touche actually is memorable from ACU.Furthermore Mary,Blackbeard and Vane were more interesting and fleshed out than Bellec,Elise and Mirabeau.
Finally,i found ACIV's MD far greater than the non-existent ACU MD.
So: ACIV 1-0 ACU

Gameplay
Even though these games have different mechanics,i believe that they are equally good.
More specifically,ACU has clearly improved the core mechanics(regarding stealth,parkour and combat),but ACIV has the innovative naval battles.ACU had coop and customisation,but i didn't find them that interesting.So:
Stealth: ACU>ACIV
Parkour:ACU>ACIV
Combat:ACU>ACIV
Other(naval,coop,etc):ACU<<<ACIV

In conclusion,it is a tie: ACU 1-2 ACIV

Setting
At this department,Ubi nailed it.ACIV's Caribbean was trully immersive and beatiful,while Paris is probably the best videogame city in history.It is a matter of taste.Personally,it is a tie.
ACU 2-3 ACIV

Open world
Assassin's Creed is a series of historical open world games.So,it should be also judged regarding the quality of the open world it offers.
ACIV's open world is excellent.The map is huge,with many places to visit.You have to often sail between the locations,which offers a sense of exploration.The side missions are mostly worthy of your time:some of them have mini-storylines(which is great),while others offer unique activities,like whale hunting,sea diving,trasure hunting etc.All these combine with each other,creating a feeling of immersion.You are not yourself anymore:you are a pirate sailing the Caribbean!
On the other hand,i can't say the same for ACU.Murder mysteries and Heists are a fine addition,but the other side missions are repetitive and some times heartless.I would prefer sets of side missions like the Templar hunts in ACIV.Finally,although Paris is huge,i don't get the same sense of exploration like ACIV
(Also,the way that the coop missions and some of the Paris stories are given,is completely immersion breaking)
So,final score : ACIV 4-2 ACU

Shahkulu101
04-11-2015, 12:50 PM
ACIV in every department. Unity has better overall mechanics and main missions, but it's side activities fall short of ACIV's swashbuckling adventures. Replaying ACIV right now and the pirate activities are just a blast. Assassination contracts are handled better in IV as well, firstly there's only 30 of them as opposed to 75 so they don't get boring and the naval elements are incorporated well into them. For instance one assassination contract may draw you out to a fort where your target is hiding and you need to take that over before completing the mission. Story-wise ACIV is my favourite so no question there for me, ACIV has a simple story that's beautifully told and a wonderfully written, multi-faceted protagonist.

Settings wise it's tough, but although Paris is stunning to look at the lack of ambient music and the fact our protagonist wasn't connected to the city or it's events at all left me cold. Meanwhile there isn't a more hearty experience than sailing the Caribbean seas listening to sea shanties and plundering as you please.

Bloody love ACIV.

VestigialLlama4
04-11-2015, 12:54 PM
If you want a real can of worms, ask which-is-better AC3 versus UNITY: American Revolution versus French Revolution.

Matknapers18
04-11-2015, 01:08 PM
AC4 overwhelms Unity in almost every way for me, probably ranks as my second favourite AC game. Aside from graphics of course, despite AC4's beauty. For me personally, Ashraf and the team absolutely nailed AC4. It was everything I expected it to be. Theres nothing better than going down the store at midnight, picking up the game, and then having no regrets in your purchase. I was delighted to see that they focused on something that is occasionally missing from AC games, and that is fun. Ac4 was just fun. Hell, It very very fun. With a slightly better story and less tailing missions, AC4 could have been perfect. Although, I loved the characters and condensed cast. Edward is probably my favourite protagonist yet. And the Caribbean is probably my favourite setting yet. Absolutely stunning. I couldn't help but smile when sailing through the waves, my crew singing as the sun sets on the horizon. I have no hesitation in saying that it is the best pirate video game of all time. And one of the best Assassin's Creed games as well.

Im not gonna go over why I didn't like Unity, because we all know why. Its boring if we just repeatedly **** on Unity. Dimbismp has named most of Unity's faults anyway, no need for to repeat what has been said. I agree with him on the most part.

BananaBlighter
04-11-2015, 01:12 PM
Story: AC4 wins, I really liked Edward's character and they went more in to his different emotions.
Gameplay: The naval stuff balances out the improved core mechanics in Unity IMO, but I loved the customisation and coop so much that Unity wins.
Setting: I'm putting this with open world too. The visuals and general feeling of the setting were better in Unity, as Paris was just so beautifully and realistically constructed, and the people and stuff more life like, though the open world in AC4 was more interactive, with better side quests and collectibles (underwater shipwrecks, hunting, naval forts).

Overall this makes it a draw at 2-2 and I enjoyed them equally overall.

Altair1789
04-11-2015, 02:39 PM
By way of story- AC4 wins, by way of gameplay, they were both pretty great but very different. Overall I think AC4 was a better game

EmptyCrustacean
04-11-2015, 03:28 PM
AC4 isn't a true current gen game though?
A current gen game is made for current gen - using resources and power that can only operate on current gen consoles.

AC4 was made for last gen then converted for next gen consoles so it's not a true next gen experience.
That said, AC4 is by far and away the superior way in every possible way, even the story - which I took issue with because it wasn't really Assassin's Creed. But then, neither is Unity.

phoenix-force411
04-11-2015, 05:25 PM
I still prefer ACIII's side quests.

m4r-k7
04-11-2015, 07:32 PM
AC 4 is better in almost every way IMO. It had more interesting characters and story, more polished gameplay, way better protagonist etc

The only thing Unity does better than Black Flag is graphics (although AC 4's graphics are better in some departments such as nature / weather effects / street NPC's) and combat.
Unitys gameplay is perhaps the least polished in the series whilst AC 4's was one of the most polished.

Xstantin
04-11-2015, 07:52 PM
AC 4 is better in almost every way IMO. It had more interesting characters and story, more polished gameplay, way better protagonist etc

The only thing Unity does better than Black Flag is graphics (although AC 4's graphics are better in some departments such as nature / weather effects / street NPC's) and combat.
Unitys gameplay is perhaps the least polished in the series whilst AC 4's was one of the most polished.

I think pretty much the same way :)
would be kinda funny if Chronicles turn out to be the best reviews-wise cause UbiArt games usually do rather well

m4r-k7
04-11-2015, 07:56 PM
would be kinda funny if Chronicles turn out to be the best reviews-wise cause UbiArt games usually do rather well

Yup that could happen!

Shahkulu101
04-11-2015, 07:57 PM

It's not using the UbiArt engine though, nor is it being developed by Ubisoft but by an out-of-house studio. Still, I expect it will go down fairly well. Gameplay looks solid if unremarkable, the art is reasonably pretty. It won't rock the world but they'll be nice little games.

All baseless speculation on my part but hey-ho.

Xstantin
04-11-2015, 08:35 PM
It's not using the UbiArt engine though, nor is it being developed by Ubisoft but by an out-of-house studio. Still, I expect it will go down fairly well. Gameplay looks solid if unremarkable, the art is reasonably pretty. It won't rock the world but they'll be nice little games.

All baseless speculation on my part but hey-ho.

Oh, my bad then :)

playlisting
04-13-2015, 05:04 AM
I think Unity is better in all things gameplay. AC 4 has the best story. It's the performance that is still ruining the experience for Unity. No matter how good your combat is, no matter how amazing your graphics are, no matter how fluid your movement is, if it's all played at 20 FPS, It doesn't matter! I'm generally not too picky about my frame rate (as long as a game sticks to 30 FPS 90% of the time or above I'm satisfied, a few drops here and there aren't an issue) but this game spends so much damn time down at 20 FPS and below I just cannot force myself to push through it. This is the first Assassin's Creed I'm not going to complete and it's all down to that frame rate. Assassin's Creed 4 is welded to 30 FPS. Barely ever falters and if it does, it's only for a second.

I hope they manage to get AC Victory running well. Unity was most definitely a waver for the series, so hopefully we can see a big improvement for Victory, especially in terms of performance.

Democrito_71
04-13-2015, 07:35 PM
ACIV is way better than AC Unity except when it comes to graphics and parkour.

Protagonist

Edward was a very interesting protagonist, his selfish and reckless personality was a big fresh air compared to previous protagonists, his character progression served a meaningful purpose that payed of perfectly and he felt like a real person with life goals I could relate to.

Arno on the other hand reminded me a lot of a French version of Ezio(in appearance) in the first sequence but after sequence 2, he grow into his own character but since Ubi made him too similar to Ezio in the first sequence, it only damage Arnos story when his background is too similar to Ezio.

Let’s see:

Ezio and Arno – Nobles, same haircuts, both are womanizers, almost the same witty sense of humor, same ”normal” outfits in the first sequence of AC2 and Unity, both of their fathers including Arnos stepfather get’s killed by Templars, both learns the way of the Creed to get their revenge/redemption against the Templars and so on. Their are too many similarities between the two and it only makes Arnos background unoriginal since we already had a protagonist with almost the same background. Only thing I can give Arnos background credit is that a Templar Grand Master adopts him and that’s it.

His personality was good and he's likable but his character progression is less noticeable because the amount of missions in the main story (only 29 including the 3 time anomaly missions) didn’t flesh out his character enough.

Story

ACIV story was simple and beautifully told.

The Pirate Code tied perfectly with the Creed. The supporting characters was fleshed out(even though I think all the supporting characters deserved more screen time, especially Blackbeard) and supporting characters felt important to it’s story.
The antagonists were very interesting, fleshed out and they were likeable as well.

The historical events Edward part took in, felt all natural and enjoyable since he lived amongst Pirates.

Unity on the other, the story was quite unfocused, too straightforward and not memorable. The story didn’t use the historical events as much as before and sometimes I felt that the game was to much behind the scenes of the historical events. The story was unoriginal since it was basically a less good rehash of AC2 story ”Ah my relatives get’s killed by Templars, now I’m becoming an Assassin just to learn their techniques to kill my relatives killers” all over again.
The supporting characters felt unimportant and most of the supporting characters were completely unnecessary or underused for its story and it’s setting.

The Antagonist was still interesting but since we didn’t see enough much of him and we didn’t got to know him better. I only got the impression that he was just “an another madman trying to take over the world” kind of Villain. Wish Ubi gave Germain way more screen time so his character could have been more fleshed out.

A better description (in which I’m going to quote)of what I feel about the story from the site “Last Token Gaming” is:

”Overall, that’s the major problem with this game; it feels empty. There’s no real motivation to get through the story, no emotional experience to immerse you into Arno’s plight, no historical impact to show just how important the end results were, the attempt to weave the game’s events into the French Revolution actually harm the historical events, and the stakes didn’t create any sense of urgency. That’s the point of a narrative; to show me the ramifications of my choices, to show me how much is at stake, not tell me: that’s effective writing.”

”My main point: instead of trying to regurgitate over and over how angry Arno is, or whatever is happening in the mess of the story, show me.”

http://lasttokengaming.com/a-glitch-in-the-system-assassins-creed-unity-review/

Side activities
AC4: Upgradable Jackdaw and being able to customize details on the Jackdaw, ship battles, boarding ships, hunting land animals and harpooning sharks and whales, underwater exploration, plantations, naval missions, assassin contracts, Templar hunts, seizing forts, treasure maps and the legendary ships) worked perfectly with it’s setting and the protagonists purpose of why he’s doing all these activities. Best of all it felt natural, it made sense and it didn’t felt forced on doing all these activities.

AC Unity:
The side activities didn’t integrate with Unity’s story that well to be honest.

Murder mysteries sounds great on paper but it’s quite underdeveloped since there no interrogation system where you can interrogate with the suspects plus it doesn’t makes sense why Arno would investigating murders. The game doesn’t really show why Arno personally wants to participate in solving murders except that he gets new weapons for each solved murder.

Paris stories are a waste of potential. It’s basically just go up to random historical people who give Arno missions that can be an Assassination or not. Most of these Paris stories was just a bunch of fetch quests and killing random NPCs. Worst of all (for me at least) There’s no cut scenes in the Paris Stories nor in the Murder mystery missions. These missions feel so shallow and soulless compared to the Templar hunts in ACIV which had it’s own smaller stories.

The treasure hunts are just a rehash of the previous games chest looting except you have to lock pick before being able to open the chests. And there were way to many chests so I stopped bother opening them all.

Coop Heist missions had nothing to do with its main story and were a bit out off place.
If there were a story mission that introduced the heist missions and explains why Arno should participate in the heists (to damage the Templars economically for example) then it would have made sense but since the game doesn’t give you any form of explanation why Arno participates in heist mission, it feel a bit out of place. I still enjoy the heist missions and it’s concept though.

The Coop missions didn’t fully integrate with Arnos story. Since everyone play as Arno during coop and the coop missions shows the time when he worked with other Assassins(other players) Some of them are so inconsistent to the main story because of that. For example:

How could Arno as a recruit for 3 months (July to October 1789) get the responsibility by the Brotherhood to protect the women’s march? Shouldn’t more experienced Assassins got the responsibility instead of a recruit?

How come that Arno were in Paris July 1793 on a mission to save the Girondists when Arno, after he confronted Germain during the Kings execution in January during the same year and as a consequence for killing 3 Templars and pursuing the Grand Master without approval of the council, he were exiled so, how come that he were sent on a mission by the council to save the Girondists when he was exiled 6 months earlier?

Same goes to the Jacobin raid: Arno were exiled in January 1793 and went back to Versailles, comes back to Paris in July 1794, stops Robespierre in 27 of July, how had Arno time to eliminate the remaining Jacobin members in during the night of 27-28 of July when he were going after Germain in the Temple, right after he had been and confronted Robespierre?

Gameplay
AC4:
The parkour is the same as AC3 but a little tweaked and more responsive than past games.
The stealth was in my opinion better in A4 since you were able to hide in the environments more, the detection meter was better handled and the blowpipe was more fun to use than the phantom blade (Unity) since the blowpipe had longer reach than the phantom blade.

Ship battles are very addicting and it’s a lot of fun to board ships. Sailing across the beautiful Caribbean Sea was really relaxing and enjoyable.

Unity's Parkour system is superior to ACIV. The Parkour is much more fluid and more fun since you can climb down much faster than before. Combat is more tactical and tougher compared to previous games. The Assassination animations were many and really cool. I think Unity is the first AC game that makes me feel that I’m playing as an Assassin since AC1. Customization is really good though it was irritating that the outfits had stats.
For me it would have been better if the outfit parts had no stats at all so we could choose whatever we like instead of choosing specific outfit parts just because they have better stats.

The Addition of the crutch button was nice but mediocre. Arno crutch walked too slowly and you can’t make him crutch walk faster, the cover mechanic is too sticky and not fluid like in Watch Dogs, GTA5 and Hitman Absolution. The stealth system is slightly weaker compared to AC4 since the detection meter is too short in Unity while the detection meter in AC4 is a bit longer before you get detected. Sometimes when one guard detects me, automatically all guards in the area comes in and starts fighting me. And many times I get detected when I’m hiding behind walls. Have the guards eagle vision too??

Setting

AC4’s Pirate theme was very immersive and gorgeous and many times when I played the game, I could stand on a beach on a random island and just watch the open seas, the sundown/sunrise and other ships battles each other. None of the previous AC games have made me want to just stand and watch its gorgeous environments while listening to the ambient soundtracks.

Paris is most likely the most beautiful City in gaming but the world itself is quite shallow.
Since there’s so little interactivity of what you can do in Unity, the game feels a bit lifeless despite the huge crowds. No matter how beautiful the City of Paris is, it feels more like a coulisse for you to watch, to climb, to run through and on top of buildings more than an actual City with interactivity.

My favorite of the two settings

That price goes to AC4: Black Flag. AC4’s world of exotic islands, ships and pirates is very immersive and diverse. Edward was a very developed protagonist who was very interesting due to his selfish and reckless personality. Edwards character progression served a meaningful purpose that payed of and he felt like a real person who I could relate too.

The story was simple and beautifully told that had a great pay off in the end.
The supporting characters were well developed and felt important to the games story.

The side activities were many and all the side activities made sense due to its setting and Edwards profession. The gameplay was diverse and there were a lot of different side activities and side missions to do.

The ship battles are one of the most exiting gameplay mechanics I’ve ever experienced in my life.

I think AC4: Black Flag is a much more solid game than Unity although I gotta say, I like Unity as a whole and the game is a big step in the right direction for future titles but Ubisoft have to take time to polish future AC games so they don’t release another “Unity problem”.

Let’s hope Victory is even more solid game in terms of gameplay, story and characters than Unity :cool:

The_Kiwi_
04-14-2015, 11:07 AM
I don't count AC4 as "current gen"
It was built with prev-gen tech in mind, it was built specifically for PS3/360
The PS4/X1 versions are literally ports

That being said, AC4 hands down

Jackdaw951
04-16-2015, 03:50 PM
I don't count AC4 as "current gen"
It was built with prev-gen tech in mind, it was built specifically for PS3/360
The PS4/X1 versions are literally ports

That was my thought too. That should make AC U the winner by default, since it's the only truly current-gen AC. Makes the poll kinda pointless. So ignoring that, I also agree that it's AC 4 hands down. It's not only my favorite in the franchise, but also one of my favorite games ever, period. AC U is a fine game in its own right, though, and if the question had been which has the best land-lubber AC-gameplay mechanics, I'd vote AC U (also hands down).